Buying new wheel, Fanatec vs Thrustmaster question

• Thread starter select20
  • 19 comments
United States
SC
select_21@yahoo.com
Infantry11b4
Hey guys, I've owned 2 wheels in my sim racing life. I owned a DFGT when I first started with Iracing back in 2006. I used the snot out of that thing until 2010 and I bought a G27. I enjoyed the "upgrade" in hardware, especially the peddles, but the one thing I could never do well with my G27 is feel the amount of correction needed to regain control of my car if the rear end got a little lose. I don't know what in the world my problem is/was, but if I switched between my DFGT and my G27, even after having not used my DFGT in years, I could always control the rear end of my car a lot better with the DFGT. There was just a slight something extra I could feel in the DFGT in those situations over my G27. I dont' know. Call me crazy, but whatever it was, it was the only thing that I didn't like about my g27.

So anyways, I'm home again after not having been doing any racing at all for a little over a year. I'm looking to really upgrade from my G27. I'm prefer to have a wheel that is PS4 compatible also because I'm hoping that the next Gran Turismo will release sometime before I die, but I'll mostly be playing Iracing so in all honesty, the PS4 compatibility would be nice, but not 100% necessary.

So to my question, who has the best top end wheel atm between Fanatec and Thrustmaster when it comes to Iracing? Looking mainly for input from those that have personal experience with the products. Even if you haven't compared them directly, just what you like about them.

Thanks much, excited to be getting back into Sim Racing.

Fanatec. No question. I own a T300 with the F1 and alcanterra rims. I now know I should have just saved up the money and gotten the real goods.

Nice, thanks for the reply.
Of course, the timing of my deal was slightly different. At the time I was getting my T300 suite, the T300 Servo Base had just released and Fanatec V2 hadn't been out very long. The cost difference was staggering. I also considered the pedals and wheel-base and "one unit".

Now I am strictly a PC gamer and have a stand-alone Pedal Set. So the dynamics of my situation are different today than they were in November of 2015.

But, again, if I'd just gotten the Fanatec from the jump, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade. I'd take the Fanatec v2.5 any day of the week over the T300.

Of course, the timing of my deal was slightly different. At the time I was getting my T300 suite, the T300 Servo Base had just released and Fanatec V2 hadn't been out very long. The cost difference was staggering. I also considered the pedals and wheel-base and "one unit".

Now I am strictly a PC gamer and have a stand-alone Pedal Set. So the dynamics of my situation are different today than they were in November of 2015.

But, again, if I'd just gotten the Fanatec from the jump, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade. I'd take the Fanatec v2.5 any day of the week over the T300.

Thats kind of the place I got too about a year after I got my G27 initially. While I know I could still grow as a sim racer, after about a year using my G27, I started noticing the "missing pieces" in feedback that the more expensive T500 would've given me at the time. I had the money to get either wheel when I was shopping back then, but opted for the cheaper wheel not knowing any better, and blowing the rest of the money I saved up on other stuff. Now that i'm shopping again, I just want to get the right wheel from the start.

Keep in mind that Fanatec will release Direct Drive wheel this year.

What exactly is that? and do you think it will be worth the wait over something like the Fanatec V2.5, or whatever they have out atm?

Nevermind, I looked up the Direct Drive thing. Interesting.

Last edited:
Fanatec. No question if you have enough budget. My current set up is T300 + Alcantara Ferrari wheel + Fanatec Clubsport V3 (best thing ever) + CPX Adapter.

For PS4, even though it is not officially supported, I believe Fanatec would work (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the buttons will not work. I know Fanatec Clubsport V3 would work with T300 via CPX Adapter :)

The curse of being an analytic, your pro's and con's list almost always ends up being too balanced to make you feel like you can make an satisfactory decision when making big purchases lol.

For PS4, even though it is not officially supported, I believe Fanatec would work (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the buttons will not work. I know Fanatec Clubsport V3 would work with T300 via CPX Adapter :)
I am in the process of trying to get that working right now, with a GIMX adapter.

I got the wheel and buttons working last night with the GIMX, but the pedal calibration is a problem, the G27 software on the PC thinks they are on 50% by default.

I owned several Logitech products before buying a T500. The T500 had acceptable initial quality but poor reliability and customer support.

The Clubsport is a dream, the pedals are top notch, I was using CSR Elite and recently purchased the Clubsport V3 Inverted. Love the setup and it's head and shoulders above the Thrustmaster.

Fanatec CSW V2.5 is a great wheel but it's not PS4 compatible.
I got my Clubsport 2.0 working with GIMX this week and am playing the GT Sport Beta without issue.

Pedals required some extra effort, but I was able to figure it out.

Back