C-ZETA's car reviews - C-ZETA Awards 2012 - 21/12/12

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 754 comments
C-ZETA
Though I can't now, still got the super powerful demon neutron zombie ninja pirate from hell and outer space 38 car test to do. Need two cars now, and those being the ones I can't get in the UCD. Or the Dealerships.

Sounds like a wild evening :sly:

Any cars I could help with? I realised last night I have something like 700 cars now, so if I could get rid of any...

Any cars I could help with? I realised last night I have something like 700 cars now, so if I could get rid of any...

If you check the Premium Trade Thread...

FYI everyone. The z stream requires full throttle starts on psp. Don't know about the ps3...

By 'full throttle', does that mean 'full revs before launching'? In that case, the Z can get away with absolutely no revs in this game, though veeeeeery slooooooowly.
sleepgo.gif

C-ZETA
By 'full throttle', does that mean 'full revs before launching'? In that case, the Z can get away with absolutely no revs in this game, though veeeeeery slooooooowly.

Yes it does. It's my antidote to turbo lag. :-/ not sure it works though

Nice reviews, as always! :)

Too bad the S2000 LM lost so much power :( ... that's the main reason I don't own one in GT5...

How about a Viper review someday??? 👍

MoLiEG
How about a Viper review someday??? 👍

I would be quite keen to try a Viper GTS-R Concept at one point, actually. Would interest me to see if I could win one race using 3rd gear but nothing else. :P

Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) '83
How about when you're actually on the tarmac though? Well there, the 240RS is not that bad. It has a big 240hp engine - well, big considering the light 970kg weight. That's another thing I've noticed though...how does this thing weight 970kg? Unless they built the insides of the car with nylon, I can't quite see how this is possible.
Final Score: 13/20

Pictures and writing by C-ZETA
I used to own an S12 Notchback IRL (I miss that car so much, sold it to a drift racing team at a local speedway because it was going to cost too much to fix it) and it weighed in at about 2350 lbs (~1065 kg) stock. It was a similar size and shape, so it's a good reference.

The 240RS was a very limited-production homologation car not really intended to be a daily driver, so it didn't have many of the amenities mine had.

Some areas where weight could be saved compared to my S12:
- My car had a sunroof and ceiling insulation. The 240RS clearly has no sunroof (no glass, no mechanical components, no extra sheet metal) and probably has no ceiling insulation.

- The wheels on my car were cast aluminum, but because of the design, they were quite heavy. The 240RS uses 7-spoke forged aluminum wheels that should weigh considerably less.

- The hood on the S12 has a fair amount of insulation in it and is steel. The 240RS uses an FRP hood with vents and should be considerably lighter if uninsulated.

- All the body panels on my car were steel and all the body panels on the 240RS are FRP.

- The rear seats were removed in the 240RS and I would imagine the floor insulation was removed as well. It's quite possible the carpet could have been removed, too.

- Likely no spare tire or rear trunk insulation.

- No audio system or power windows, doors, etc. The 240RS also didn't have a center console, clock, ventilation grilles, etc.

- The 240RS used polycarbonate windows (except front windshield) where my car used glass all around.

- The 240RS used a lightweight racing flywheel.

- The suspension components may also have used lighter weight materials.

With those changes, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be 95 kg lighter than my old S12.

About the transmission, the information I found on some of the Japanese sites about the 240RS seems to suggest that Nissan customized each order for the 240RS. In the roughly 45 minutes of searching online through translated Japanese sites on the 240RS, these appear to have been the available transmission and final drive options for the 240RS:

F5C71B Transmission Options:

1 - 2.818
2 - 1.973
3 - 1.470
4 - 1.192
5 - 1.000

1 - 2.348
2 - 1.601
3 - 1.296
4 - 1.138
5 - 1.000

1 - 2.192
2 - 1.601
3 - 1.470
4 - 1.138
5 - 1.000

1 - 3.321
2 - 2.270
3 - 1.601
4 - 1.240
5 - 1.000

H190 Rear-End (aka Final Drive Ratio) w/ LSD:

38100-P0806 3.364
38100-P0706 3.545
38100-P0606 3.700
38100-P0506 3.900
38100-P0306 4.111
38100-P0206 4.375
38100-P0106 4.625
38100-Y4006 4.875
38100-B4003 5.143
38100-T3003 5.429

I'm guessing the unit PD had access to was outfitted with that configuration, but this seems like one of the rare cases when using a custom transmission seems fitting on an otherwise stock car while still "remaining stock" since there were so many transmission options available.

I like the review BTW and completely agree about the character. Those older S-chassis cars have some quirks, but they're a lot more interesting and fun to drive than the S13 and S14, IMO (haven't driven an S15 in real life being in Canada and all; nothing against the S13 and S14, of course).

With the lowest available final drive ratio (3.364), I got 0-60 in 6.293s, 1/4 mile in 14.389s, and a top speed of 161.4 MPH (@ ~8000 RPM).

Last edited:
I like the review BTW and completely agree about the character. Those older S-chassis cars have some quirks, but they're a lot more interesting and fun to drive than the S13 and S14, IMO (haven't driven an S15 in real life being in Canada and all; nothing against the S13 and S14, of course).

Whoa... you must be a dedicated aficionado to make a response like that.

Whoa... you must be a dedicated aficionado to make a response like that.
Well, I owned the S12 for 9 years (by far the most fun car I've owned), was involved in a Datsun/Nissan club where I had access to drive many other Nissans around the local tracks. If I were racing, the newer S-chassis cars have way more technology in them that allows them to be faster (not just talking about power) plus a much better aftermarket, so I'd be stupid not to take one of them, but there's just something about those old '80s S-chassis cars (not to mention 240Z and 510) that make them more enjoyable to drive. All IMO of course.

I own a Civic and a Versa now; both are lame :P

Jmac279
Well, I owned the S12 for 9 years (by far the most fun car I've owned), was involved in a Datsun/Nissan club where I had access to drive many other Nissans around the local tracks. If I were racing, the newer S-chassis cars have way more technology in them that allows them to be faster (not just talking about power) plus a much better aftermarket, so I'd be stupid not to take one of them, but there's just something about those old '80s S-chassis cars (not to mention 240Z and 510) that make them more enjoyable to drive. All IMO of course.

I own a Civic and a Versa now; both are lame :P

That's what the saying goes:

There always new cars everyday, but it will never, even if it tried, to replace what the older ones and what they truly meant. :)👍

Hey are you gonna find another one? That car must be a real hoot to drive in real life.

And by the way, great reviews C-ZETA. I'm liking them:tup:.

Note: Pretty much every tuner in the game is covered here, but there are a few possible omissions that might confuse you. Things like these include the Nissan Option Stream Z (which I've already covered anyway), the Mazda BP Falken RX-7 (which was omitted for some reason by the car database), all RUFs (road spec really, can be quite easily confused for true tuners) and the two Nissan Gran Turismo Skylines (also omitted by the car database for some reason). Other than that, you'll be fine.

Hello and welcome to my ultimate tuning comparo! This features a quite silly 38 cars, all of which come from the respective tuning divisions of this game. Some are silly...some are sensible...some are easy...some are speed freaks. But they're all tuners. And that's what matters here. Welcome to...

All Tuners Tested

So, to start off with, I'm gonna explain the procedure that every single one of these cars has gone through before testing them all through various challenges to see which were the fastest, which were the most fun, and which were the most soulful. How I got the numerous cars to do this test in were as follows:

Any Premium car was bought from the Dealerships, clean and ready.
Anything currently in the OCD as of the time of this post was bought from there, 0/0.
Anything else, with two exceptions, was bought from the UCD, dirty and used up. But broken in for the most part.
The two exceptions are cars that cannot be gotten from the UCD in any way and are usually 'one car only' models in this game without using tickets of some form. In these cases, I traded them out with fellow Premonites and got them free of charge, 0/0. Thank you. ;)

All cars were tested completely stock, with no tyre changes, and no modification done where it could be. Pretty much everything was oil changed if it was new, although there were a couple of times where I was an idiot and forgot. Anything bought from the UCD was fully refreshed and restored back to full condition, no matter its mileage beforehand.

These were the tests I did these cars on. The tracks I used, as you will obviously see by the tests, were Special Stage Route X and Grand Valley Speedway.

0-60: A test of how fast a car gets from 0-60. Determines HOW WELL A CAR GETS OFF THE LINE.
0-100: A test of how fast a car gets from 0-100. Determines HOW WELL A CAR GETS OFF THE LINE THEN HANGS ON AFTER THAT.
1/4 mile: A test of how fast the car covers a quarter of a mile. Determines HOW WELL A CAR GETS OFF THE LINE THEN HANGS ON AFTER THAT, THOUGH MAINLY A LITTLE LONGER THAN THE 0-100 TESTS.
0-1 mile: A test of how fast the car covers a full straight mile. Determines HOW GOOD THE CAR IS IN A STRAIGHT LINE FOR THE MOST PART.
Max Speed: A test of how fast the car can reach in terms of speed. Determines HOW FAST IT WILL BE IN TOTAL IF YOU WERE GIVEN A MASSIVE STRAIGHT.
Max G-Force: A test of how much forward, accelerational G the car can produce. Determines THE SHOCK THE CAR GIVES YOU THE INSTANT YOU PUT THE ACCELERATOR DOWN.
Grand Valley Lap: A test of how fast the car gets round the Grand Valley Speedway. Determines HOW GOOD THE CAR IS ON THE TRACK.

These were the so called 'speed tests', done to determine the order of general speed of all of the tuners in the game. However, I wasn't just going to leave it there. Because, contrary to popular belief, X2010 users, speed is NOT the answer to everything. I also needed to find out how good the car was at exciting you, and giving you a good drive. So, on the Grand Valley Speedway, I did 3 extra tests - 'Attribute-o-meters' to determine how good everything else was. Even though I included speed as well. Look, it's not completely useless, OK?

Fun-o-meter: A measurement for how fun the car is. Determines HOW JOYFUL IT IS AND HOW LONG YOU COULD EASILY KEEP DRIVING IT FOR.
Soul-o-meter: A measurement of various things (ie faithfulness to the original, general feel etc.) to see how much soul a car has. Determines IF THE CAR STILL HAS A HEART AFTER TUNING IT.
Speed-o-meter: A measurement for how fast and perhaps useful the car generally is. Determines IF IT ACTUALLY WORKS IN RACING.

These were all rated out of a possible 100, with the ratings all summed up together for a max rating of 300 to determine my favourite tuning car of them all.

As a general note, I also find general 'classes' that I group all of the tuners in. This mainly determines roughly how close together these classes should theoretically be in the speed tests, but sometimes this wasn't quite the case. But either way, here's roughly how I class each of the tuners being tested here:

Note: Any championship makers, please feel free to use this for any online series. I feel it will work quite well.

Top Class
These are the absolute fastest tuners, the top pedigree of the bunch. Don't expect these to be taking a loss soon enough.
Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo (lethal speed combined with massive aerodynamics)
HKS CT230R '08 (4WD packed, with lethal acceleration and big power)

Higher Tier
These are the ones that tend to be running a little behind the cars in Top Class, but don't underestimate their speed.
Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06 (Skyline GT-R with big power up and helped with 4WD)
HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT (4WD and with huge power in a tech-filled body)
Amuse S2000 GT1 '04 (High on power and also relatively low weight)
Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.spec N1 base '00 (Aero-reduced for killer straight line speed)
Amuse Carbon R (R34) '04 (Heavily powered and given light weight, albeit with little aero and conversion to FR)

High Tier
Slightly slower than Higher Tier, although no slouches still.
High End Performance G37 (Heavily turbocharged engine and big, aerodynamic body)
HPA Motorsports Stage II R32 (Big power, 4WD, no aero, huge acceleration speed)
Nismo Fairlady Z Z-Tune (Z33) '03 (Well balanced overall with perfect body and power/weight distribution)

American Muscle
A class exclusively for classically tuned American muscle cars.
Art Morrison Corvette'60 (C1 Corvette goes mental and modern, with massive power)
Grand Touring Garage 1970 Ford Mustang Trans-Cammer (big fat Mustang complete with modern kit)
Buick Special (huge engine stuffed into an almost limo-style body)

Drift Machines
A class for cars in D1GP or Formula D.
Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline '07 (massively powerful with relatively good aerodynamic level)
AEM S2000 (Formula D entrant with well-balanced power and weight combining)
HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 '04 (very balanced with power and weight, and aerodynamic body)
Blitz ER34 D1 Spec '04 (limo style drift machine, with less weight and less power good balance)

Middle Tier
A class for roughly middle-tier tuners.
RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7 (rotary power makes for cool, retro style tuner car)
Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera (superb body mates with strong engine for good combo)
Mine's Lancer Evolution VI '00 (old style Evo VI with massive power upgrade and powerful 4WD system)
Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '03 (even with FF, good power and aero, with light weight)

High Road-Spec
A class for the fastest road-spec (Sports Hard) tuners.
Nismo Fairlady Z S-tune (Z33) '02 (simple tuning here, no nonsense approach)
Nismo Skyline GT-R R-tune (R34) '99 (highly tuned up in the power stakes, plus 4WD)
Nismo 400R '96 (big power up, although still heavy. Keeps its 4WD drivetrain though)
Nismo Skyline GT-R S-tune (R32) '00 (big power helps boost performance, and has 4WD)
Opera Performance 350Z '04 (power-upped, and while weight is high, FR means good balance)

S2000 Mania
A class featuring a plethora of Honda S2000's modified up to do their job better.
Opera Performance S2000 '04 (ridiculously lightweight, yet still has plenty of power)
Amuse S2000 R1 '04 (big power up and lots of weight loss, mean a lot better performance)
Amuse S2000 Street Version '04 (relatively specced-up, and though basic still powerful)
Spoon S2000 '00 (very powerful with light weight also helping to stride this one upwards)
Mugen S2000 '00 (good chunk of power upgrades, although weight is high and it's on CS)

Low Road-Spec
A class for lower-class road-spec tunes.
Tom's X540 Chaser '00 (Powered up, overcomes big weight with other upgrades)
Nismo 270R '94 (less powerful but a lot lighter and built to turn in and handle well)

Lower Road-Spec
The lowest spec of road-spec tunes among tuners.
Spoon Integra Type R (DC2) '99 (tuned up moderately, lightened a lot, 10000rpm engine)
Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00 (powerful engine and ludicrously light weight, with very revved up engine)
Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (S.Shigeno Ver.) '00 (powered up a lot, with light weight too)
TRD Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00 (less powerful engine, but remotely good weight, makes for good balance)

Spoon CR-Z
A class for the Spoon CR-Z, the lightest-spec tuner in the game.
Spoon CR-Z (good powerup means hybrid engine is of even higher standard now)

Yeah, that's about it there. And now, let's move on to the main events for real, and this is how they'll all be going.

Car-by-car testing (each of the 38 tuners in one post)
Speed testing results (results of the speed testing for each of the cars)
Speed testing finale (overview of the speed testing top 10)
Overall testing results (results of each of the individual tests for overall feel)
Overall testing finale (overview of the overall testing top 10)

That pretty much covers the opening to the ultimate tuning comparo I have here, for 38 tuners, which are now gonna be posted here, taking on the numerous tests I've described here. Here we go...

Sit back, and enjoy the ride. Grab a sweet popcorn (or salty popcorn), your nachos with salsa, your chocolate treats and your cold Pepsi. But please, do not throw up over the course of the next 5 posts. Our cleaners don't need more work to do this week, please.

Opening by C-ZETA

Last edited:
Car-by-car testing of the 38 tuners
So, welcome back. This is the page where you'll find results for all 38 of the tuners in this test, right on your doorstep. Or laptop. Or computer. Or monitor. Or whatever it is you happen to be viewing this on. But whatever, let's cut to the chase and begin.

All of the cars in here will be named in alphabetical order by the name of their manufacturer, then model. This means A-Z on both counts, in case you don't know.

All of the cars you see here have their results put up here for the general testing that they undertook, the tests of which can be seen above in the first post. I will also put their overall ranking to the side as well of the results. Finally, I will be listing the parts they have all been fitted with following the listing of their results, and power and weight will be listed after this. So, let's begin...

AEM S2000

SpecialStageRouteX-2.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.57 seconds [Overall: 21]
0-100: 9.003 seconds [Overall: 19]
1/4 mile: 12.631 seconds [Overall: 21]
1 mile: 30.854 seconds [Overall: 19]
Max Speed: 175.2mph [Overall: 20]
Max G-Force: 0.65G [Overall: 26]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:12.636 [Overall: 23]

Fun-o-meter: 85/100 [Overall: 5]
Soul-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 15]
Speed-o-meter: 71/100 [Overall: 21]

AEM S2000: 461bhp, 1155kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit
Tyres: Comfort: Soft
Class: Drift Machine

And so, we begin with the AEM S2000. An American-tuned drift machine, which, as you can tell by the stats, was built for drifting a lot. Unfortunately, this hurts it in a straight line quite a bit, although not anywhere near as badly as other drift machines in this game.

On Route X, it wasn't really terribly brilliant. The Comfort Soft tyres cost it so much acceleration and to be honest the top speed was not a very high amount either. But on Grand Valley, while it didn't get a great lap time, it proved that it was a truly good drift machine, with plenty of slideability, which was completely controllable and didn't worry me much at all. It's one of the slightly more extreme S2000s, but nothing too bad. Job well done in terms of fun, but does that make it an overall greatness? We'll have to see how well it does overall later on.

Amuse Carbon R (R34) '04

SpecialStageRouteX_1-2.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.264 seconds [Overall: 19]
0-100: 7.454 seconds [Overall: 9]
1/4 mile: 11.815 seconds [Overall: 9]
1 mile: 28.055 seconds [Overall: 7]
Max Speed: 190.1mph [Overall: 10]
Max G-Force: 0.69G [Overall: 22]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:01.171 [Overall: 7]

Fun-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 7]
Soul-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 24]
Speed-o-meter: 91/100 [Overall: 5]

Amuse Carbon R (R34) '04: 594bhp, 1123kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (0/15), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit
Tyres: Sports: Soft
Class: Higher Tier

Ah, the Amuse Carbonara. Genuinely terrible in GT4, thanks to acceleration that rivalled that of a tortoise, it's here now and the accelerational problems have largely been fixed. This makes the car so much better now.

0-60 was obviously not rapid, as it's an FR with all this power. But it shot off from there and got some good speed. Generally speaking, it could be a lot faster, but for some idiotic reason, it's been stuck with a 0/15 aero wing, which makes it worse on the track. Still, this is also probably the tuner with the highest HP when fully modded - making a total of 740bhp with a high RPM turbo kit added.

Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera

SpecialStageRouteX_2-2.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.053 seconds [Overall: 15]
0-100: 8.853 seconds [Overall: 16]
1/4 mile: 12.343 seconds [Overall: 15]
1 mile: 30.656 seconds [Overall: 17]
Max Speed: 179.3mph [Overall: 16]
Max G-Force: 0.82G [Overall: 16]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:02.906 [Overall: 12]

Fun-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 12]
Soul-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 28]
Speed-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 18]

Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera: 388bhp, 1120kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/35), Sports Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit
Class: Middle Tier

Super Leggera! :D Have to say, this does look good from most angles.

In a straight line, it's not terribly epic, but it managed to get a good time in on GVS, proving its track based style. However, you just wish it were faster to be honest. Thankfully, you can do enough modification to this thing, but we're not here for that. So, decent, but not put to its best ability.

Amuse S2000 GT1 '04

SpecialStageRouteX_3-2.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.361 seconds [Overall: 7]
0-100: 6.663 seconds [Overall: 6]
1/4 mile: 11.191 seconds [Overall: 6]
1 mile: 27.69 seconds [Overall: 6]
Max Speed: 177.7 mph [Overall: 17]
Max G-Force: 0.89G [Overall: 11]
Grand Valley Lap: 1:58.316 [Overall: 4]

Fun-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 16]
Soul-o-meter: 79/100 [Overall: 21]
Speed-o-meter: 87/100 [Overall: 7]

Amuse S2000 GT1 '04: 547bhp, 1180kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

Here is one of the first truly fast tuners in this test - the S2000 GT1. Originally seen in GT2, merely as a Honda, then made an Amuse in GT4, it was pretty quick - one of the fastest. That's mainly stayed here, though it's been dwarfed quite a bit now.

540hp is plenty of hp and gives the car superb acceleration, plus all the extra downforce gives it good cornering. Top speed though is bad.

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo

SpecialStageRouteX_4-2.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.162 seconds [Overall: 6]
0-100: 5.979 seconds [Overall: 2]
1/4 mile: 10.74 seconds [Overall: 3]
1 mile: 26.628 seconds [Overall: 2]
Max Speed: 204.4mph [Overall: 3]
Max G-Force: 0.98G [Overall: 10]
Grand Valley Lap: 1:55.091 [Overall: 1]

Fun-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 17]
Soul-o-meter: ...Er...didn't pick up, I'm afraid. [Overall: DNQ]
Speed-o-meter: 95/100 [Overall: 2]

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo: 629bhp, 1120kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 'Standard Transmission' (actually a 7-speed gearbox non-existant in a standard S2000), Fully Customisable LSD, Fully Customisable Suspension
Class: Top Class

Right...we meet again. This is the Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo, supposedly the 'fastest' tuner of the game. Yet here you can clearly tell here...it really isn't. Oh sure, it was the fastest around Grand Valley by a full second and a bit, but then it was beaten from 0-60 by 5 others, and the CT230R beat it in everything else. And two cars managed to get higher speeds than it, despite having the best power to weight ratio. Riiight.

Oh yeah, and while this car has some sliding degrees, and its overall speed cannot be denied, I'm sorry, but this is quite frankly just so emotionless, it has become one of my pet dislikes among cars. Because...think of it this way.

1) Honda builds a happy, cheery S2000.
2) Amuse would like to borrow this happy, cheery S2000 to make it more 'fighting fit'.
3) The happy, cheery S2000 arrives at Amuse's factories.
4) Then Amuse completely tears it apart, leaving no remnant of its previous form.
5) Amuse fits parts of its own to change what was once a happy, cheery S2000 into this absolute monster.

I'm sorry, but doing such acts to a mere S2000 is just criminal. A 'get ripped' scam. In fact, any scam. If it were a Skyline, good. Those have next to no limits. But I'm afraid this is breaking too far from the S2000 tuning norm to give it a single soul point for me. And just to tell you, the AI drives this car to victory in almost all the events it's in. Shows you something, doesn't it?

Amuse S2000 R1 '04

SpecialStageRouteX_5-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.939 seconds [Overall: 25]
0-100: 12.038 seconds [Overall: 28]
1/4 mile: 13.586 seconds [Overall: 26]
1 mile: 34.102 seconds [Overall: 28]
Max Speed: 162.0mph [Overall: 28]
Max G-Force: 0.75G [Overall: 18]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:10.942 [Overall: 21]

Fun-o-meter: 64/100 [Overall: 37]
Soul-o-meter: 86/100 [Overall: 9]
Speed-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 27]

Amuse S2000 R1 '04: 272bhp, 1120kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit
Tyres: Sports: Hard
Class: S2000 Mania

Now we have the first of the light tunes in the test, the S2000 R1. I tried this before and was rather underwhelmed, to be honest. I thought it would be a bit more fun - and that hasn't changed here unfortunately.

It is actually moderately faster than would be expected of a car of this caliber though. 0-60 in 4.9 wasn't exactly expected from me, and besides which, the majority of the S2000 was still there. However, the lack of fun hits it rather badly for me.

Amuse S2000 Street Version '04

SpecialStageRouteX_6-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.63 seconds [Overall: 31]
0-100: 13.171 seconds [Overall: 32]
1/4 mile: 14.13 seconds [Overall: 30]
1 mile: 35.041 seconds [Overall: 33]
Max Speed: 157.5mph [Overall: 33]
Max G-Force: 0.67G [Overall: 25]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:18.518 [Overall: 33]

Fun-o-meter: 92/100 [Overall: 1]
Soul-o-meter: 94/100 [Overall: 3]
Speed-o-meter: 61/100 [Overall: 36]

Amuse S2000 Street Version '04: 263bhp, 1190kg
Parts fitted: Sports Exhaust, Fixed Sports Kit

And now we come to the lightest Amuse S2000, the Street Version. I hadn't driven this in this game yet, so most of the feel of this car wasn't known to me yet.

But I must say, it is very good. You can flick it anywhere - anywhere, and it'll stay intact. And yet, all around, it is still an S2000 in nearly every sense of the word. I might not have done it much justice with its speed rating but either way this is a ball of fun. Buy it for the experience.

Art Morrison Corvette'60

SpecialStageRouteX_7-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.677 seconds [Overall: 8]
0-100: 7.399 seconds [Overall: 8]
1/4 mile: 11.604 seconds [Overall: 8]
1 mile: 28.254 seconds [Overall: 8]
Max Speed: 207.7mph [Overall: 2]
Max G-Force: 0.83G [Overall: 14]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:05.981 [Overall: 16]

Fun-o-meter: 72/100 [Overall: 26]
Soul-o-meter: 84/100 [Overall: 13]
Speed-o-meter: 86/100 [Overall: 8]

Art Morrison Corvette'60: 548bhp, 1437kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit
Class: American Muscle

Now we start with the first of the American muscle cars here, and in my opinion what I thought was the best. The Art Morrison Corvette.

Bloody hell, this one was quick. Even the Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo was left behind in top speed - 207.7mph from this is very good. And in a straight line, it does better than the other American muscle cars off the line too. Yes, of course, it's not great on a track - it's too heavy for most of them. But on tracks like Monza with massive straights - beware.

Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline '07

SpecialStageRouteX_8-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.023 seconds [Overall: 26]
0-100: 8.526 seconds [Overall: 14]
1/4 mile: 12.572 seconds [Overall: 20]
1 mile: 29.115 seconds [Overall: 11]
Max Speed: 184.6mph [Overall: 13]
Max G-Force: 0.57G [Overall: 32]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:12.785 [Overall: 24]

Fun-o-meter: 73/100 [Overall: 25]
Soul-o-meter: 85/100 [Overall: 11]
Speed-o-meter: 67/100 [Overall: 25]

Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline '07: 594bhp, 1437kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Fully Customisable Suspension

Never has Comfort Soft tyres ruined a car as much as it does this.

With CS tyres on, this thing is getting nowhere. 0-60 time - terrible. Track time - terrible. And to be honest, if you are actually sliding it, it is decent, but it is too easy to spin it out. Call in for a pair of racing tyres, quickly.

Blitz ER34 D1 Spec '04

SpecialStageRouteX_10-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.794 seconds [Overall: 24]
0-100: 8.889 seconds [Overall: 17]
1/4 mile: 12.861 seconds [Overall: 23]
1 mile: 30.393 seconds [Overall: 15]
Max Speed: 184.3mph [Overall: 14]
Max G-Force: 0.60G [Overall: 31]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:14.714 [Overall: 28]

Fun-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 34]
Soul-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 17]
Speed-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 28]

Blitz ER34 D1 Spec '04: 467bhp, 1180kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Fully Customisable Suspension

The Blitz's Standard Cousin might be lighter and less powerful, but alas the situation is not much better with this.

Things are slightly better to start with, but beyond the point where tyres don't matter, the Blitz isn't quite good enough. And while it might seem like an easier car to use in general, it wasn't as fun for me to be honest. Wasn't quite enough power after stepping out of the Premium Blitz. Essentially, this is nowhere near as good as the Premium and therefore almost pointless, but there is one feature you should look out for. Light-up intercooler. That's cool. :cool:

Buick Special

SpecialStageRouteX_9-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.264 seconds [Overall: 18]
0-100: 7.864 seconds [Overall: 10]
1/4 mile: 12.019 seconds [Overall: 11]
1 mile: 28.676 seconds [Overall: 9]
Max Speed: 202.4mph [Overall: 5]
Max G-Force: 0.71G [Overall: 20]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:10.450 [Overall: 20]

Fun-o-meter: 69/100 [Overall: 28]
Soul-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 31]
Speed-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 10]

Buick Special: 589bhp, 1364kg
Parts fitted: 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, er...that's it. No really.

Here we are then with what I like to call the Big Boss of the American Muscle class. Mainly because it just looks like the biggest. But it's actually the lightest - how does it weight 1364kg anyway?!

Either way though, despite having more power and less weight than the Art Morrison Corvette, it is actually beaten by it in...er...all of the categories here. It's just rubbish. It's more wheelspinny off the line, somehow not as fast and clearly you'd be much better off on a lion on the track. Oooh dear. 👎

Grand Touring Garage 1970 Ford Mustang Trans-Cammer

SpecialStageRouteX_11-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.816 seconds [Overall: 11]
0-100: 7.882 seconds [Overall: 11]
1/4 mile: 11.912 seconds [Overall: 10]
1 mile: 29.285 seconds [Overall: 12]
Max Speed: 200.3mph [Overall: 6]
Max G-Force: 0.81G [Overall: 17]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:04.776 [Overall: 14]

Fun-o-meter: 75/100 [Overall: 21]
Soul-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 25]
Speed-o-meter: 85/100 [Overall: 9]

Grand Touring Garage 1970 Ford Mustang Trans-Cammer: 632bhp, 1721kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Suspension

And already we now have the American Muscle cars covered. This is the Ford Trans-Cammer, and it is the most powerful of all tuned cars when stock. Not to mention the heaviest.

As a result, you'd expect it to miss the mark the Corvette set by an even wider margin than the Special set. Not so. The extra weight helps keep it stable and it had an all around good run down the straight. That said, it was also the only of the three cars in the class that hit its limiter, despite having a 5th gear that is slightly taller than most NBA all-stars. On a track, it was the calmest and fastest, which is amazing when I remind you it's the heaviest and most powerful. Very well done overall.

High End Performance G37

SpecialStageRouteX_12-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.135 seconds [Overall: 16]
0-100: 9.016 seconds [Overall: 20]
1/4 mile: 12.443 seconds [Overall: 18]
1 mile: 30.633 seconds [Overall: 16]
Max Speed: 189.1mph [Overall: 11]
Max G-Force: 0.82G [Overall: 15]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:02.726 [Overall: 11]

Fun-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 18]
Soul-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 29]
Speed-o-meter: 72/100 [Overall: 20]

High End Performance G37: 466bhp, 1450kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Suspension
Class: High Tier

I fear I may have slightly overestimated the speed of this Back to the Future style car (for reference, see the PS3 at the back).

I might have overestimated how much its big weight would really affect it, and how there isn't as much power as would be thought. But either way, I think this thing looks damn superb, and on the track, it was just about scrapped out of the top 10 by some superb late performers. I think Infiniti should sell a version this modified in real life. I feel it will sell very well.

Oh, and also, JR Rocha, RIP. Your machine's great.

HKS CT230R '08

SpecialStageRouteX_13-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 2.784 seconds [Overall: 2]
0-100: 5.579 seconds [Overall: 1]
1/4 mile: 10.409 seconds [Overall: 1]
1 mile: 26.616 seconds [Overall: 1]
Max Speed: 175.7mph [Overall: 19]
Max G-Force: 1.26G [Overall: 4]
Grand Valley Lap: 1:56.616 [Overall: 2]

Fun-o-meter: 87/100 [Overall: 4]
Soul-o-meter: 94/100 [Overall: 4]
Speed-o-meter: 97/100 [Overall: 1]

HKS CT230R '08: 601bhp, 1068kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Fully Customisable Suspension
Class: Top Class

Aaaaah. Now here's something I'm experienced with, and know and love - the HKS CT230R.

That said, it has been a scarily long time since I drove one of these stock. In fact, my main resource of CT230Rness has come from the better - and betterer - AdrenaTune HKS CT230R, which is genius.

This is less powerful than that and also uses a full type of tyre grade lower, but still I was proud to see it was setting very good results. Plus, with the 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, it actually felt 'faster' off the line - since the ratios on it are shorter.

That said, I was shocked to find that the CT230R was not the fastest car from 0-60. And that in the Max G-Force category, it came not 1st, not 2nd, but 4th!

Of course, on a track, it was absolutely visceral, with plenty of speed and since Spec II plenty of grip too. Obviously, the top speed is a bit of a killer but you can't deny its accelerational values though. I urge you to find a tune that makes it better.

HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 '04

SpecialStageRouteX_14-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.778 seconds [Overall: 23]
0-100: 8.334 seconds [Overall: 12]
1/4 mile: 12.434 seconds [Overall: 17]
1 mile: 30.743 seconds [Overall: 18]
Max Speed: 150.7mpg [Overall: 37]
Max G-Force: 0.61G [Overall: 30]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:15.098 [Overall: 29]

Fun-o-meter: 69/100 [Overall: 29]
Soul-o-meter: 87/100 [Overall: 9]
Speed-o-meter: 62/100 [Overall: 33]

HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 '04: 499bhp, 1130kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/50), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Fully Customisable Suspension

The CT230R's lesser known Standard workmate now takes to the stage, and it's another drift machine, which means another deficiency of total acceleration to start with.

That said, this thing has a pretty good 0-100 time, but this is also because it is fitted with the worst fitting transmission in the world. Being limited to 150 in this is like being limited to holding hands with your girlfriend - and that's it. You just cannot get the best of it, and I would, like all drift machines, get some tyres first, then get a much, much better transmission.

HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT

SpecialStageRouteX_15-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 2.806 seconds [Overall: 3]
0-100: 6.318 seconds [Overall: 4]
1/4 mile: 10.801 seconds [Overall: 4]
1 mile: 27.071 seconds [Overall: 4]
Max Speed: 197.7mph [Overall: 7]
Max G-Force: 1.27G [Overall: 3]
Grand Valley Lap: 1:59.285 [Overall: 5]

Fun-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 22]
Soul-o-meter: 72/100 [Overall: 34]
Speed-o-meter: 88/100 [Overall: 6]

HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT: 578bhp, 1338kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (15/35), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable Suspension

This one is a good contender among tuning cars - the HPA TT. Hold onto your seats, this one's rapid.

As expected, it performed with aplomb on Route X. It even managed to pull off more G than the CT230R - though I suspect this is down to the lower aero value. It was also a top 5er on Grand Valley Speedway, and it has to be said that this was one of the most well rounded of the bunch. If you can justify the price tag, buy it.

HPA Motorsports Stage II R32

SpecialStageRouteX_16-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.014 seconds [Overall: 5]
0-100: 7.238 seconds [Overall: 7]
1/4 mile: 11.322 seconds [Overall: 7]
1 mile: 28.971 seconds [Overall: 10]
Max Speed: 172.7 mph [Overall: 21]
Max G-Force: 1.24G [Overall: 5]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:01.523 [Overall: 8]

Fun-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 13]
Soul-o-meter: 79/100 [Overall: 19]
Speed-o-meter: 78/100 [Overall: 13]

HPA Motorsports Stage II R32: 533bhp, 1485kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Suspension

This one got some very odd results. The HPA R32 is a bit of an oddball really - mainly down to its dodgy powerband with all the extra turbo power.

Still, it did decently well off the line, as rapidly as its results decreased anyway. Its Max Speed result was all too low though - I know I've done more than 172 in GT4 with the stock tranny I know. PD probably made the ratios too close here. It's quite a weird car to feel your way around, this one... :indiff:

Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06

SpecialStageRouteX_17-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 2.966 seconds [Overall: 4]
0-100: 6.559 seconds [Overall: 5]
1/4 mile: 10.969 seconds [Overall: 5]
1 mile: 27.468 seconds [Overall: 5]
Max Speed: 203.3mph [Overall: 4]
Max G-Force: 1.28G [Overall: 2]
Grand Valley Lap: 1:57.458 [Overall: 3]

Fun-o-meter: 91/100 [Overall: 3]
Soul-o-meter: 87/100 [Overall: 7]
Speed-o-meter: 92/100 [Overall: 3]

Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06: 604bhp, 1340kg

This here is one of the much more respected ones in the tuning business - the Mine's Skyline.

The Premium is hugely well balanced in every respect - top 5 in all 7 speed tests - something nothing else managed, and very much among the top in the Overall categories too. This one is a peach, and if you haven't tried it, you should. Must also say how good this thing was in GT5:P for me 👍 Took me away from my previous Mine's Skyline rivalry a little.

Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.Spec N1 base '00

SpecialStageRouteX_18-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 2.738 seconds [Overall: 1]
0-100: 6.166 seconds [Overall: 3]
1/4 mile: 10.703 seconds [Overall: 2]
1 mile: 26.922 seconds [Overall: 3]
Max Speed: 208.3mph [Overall: 1]
Max G-Force: 1.31G [Overall: 1]
Grand Valley Lap: 1:59.861 [Overall: 6]

Fun-o-meter: 81/100 [Overall: 11]
Soul-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 37]
Speed-o-meter: 92/100 [Overall: 4]

Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.Spec N1 base '00: 621bhp, 1340kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (0/15), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Fully Customisable Suspension

!!!!!!! This thing is bloody fast!!!!!!

On face value, this and the Premium Mine's are the same (ignore the hp figure - they're 'the same' when you consider this one's fully broken in and the Premium isn't), but they are in fact, completely different. This is because of two things: the aerodynamics on the Standard, and the elongated transmission on the Standard.

What this actually does is make this car the near-best tuner in a straight line in the whole game. I was literally shocked to see this thing could better a CT230R in a race from 0-60 - and while it doesn't match it from there, it manages to be a full 5 mph faster than the Premium Mine's and beats the nearest competitor, the Art Morrison Corvette, by half a mph - all without hitting the limiter! Yes, on a track, it is slower, obviously. But really, I swear you might actually notice the difference in a straight line.

Unfortunately, I do have a few mutually exclusive rivalries with this car, which all happen to come from GT4, and prevent me from liking this thing properly. In case you're wondering what they are, see the same problems the S2000 GT1 Turbo has and transfer them to this. Still...fast. :cool:

Mine's Lancer Evolution VI '00

SpecialStageRouteX_19-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.89 seconds [Overall: 13]
0-100: 9.233 seconds [Overall: 21]
1/4 mile: 12.364 seconds [Overall: 16]
1 mile: 31.092 seconds [Overall: 22]
Max Speed: 158.2mph [Overall: 32]
Max G-Force: 1.13G [Overall: 6]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:03.678 [Overall: 13]

Fun-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 8]
Soul-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 22]
Speed-o-meter: 75/100 [Overall: 19]

Mine's Lancer Evolution VI '00: 414bhp, 1210kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Racing Exhaust, 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable LSD, Torque Distributing Centre Differential, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

Technically speaking, this Mine's Evo VI should be very fast. It has 414bhp, which combined with the 4WD, a mere 1210kg weight and the starting 25/75 torque distribution, this should be very fast.

Unfortunately, I'm not overly hopeful. This thing is ridiculously limited down a straight, and the lack of aero just means you have less cornering, it doesn't do much to help your acceleration sadly. This is effectively kind of the closest you can get to an Evo FQ400 stock in this game, but it's in an Evo VI body. Disappointment.

Mugen S2000 '00

SpecialStageRouteX_20-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.954 seconds [Overall: 34]
0-100: 14.364 seconds [Overall: 35]
1/4 mile: 14.57 seconds [Overall: 35]
1 mile: 35.976 seconds [Overall: 35]
Max Speed: 159.0mph [Overall: 31]
Max G-Force: 0.61G [Overall: 29]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:23.004 [Overall: 37]

Fun-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 19]
Soul-o-meter: 85/100 [Overall: 10]
Speed-o-meter: 63/100 [Overall: 31]

Mugen S2000 '00: 255bhp, 1240kg

The Mugen should theoretically be a very good contender among the lighter S2000s in this game. It has the power to hang with them, at least.

Unfortunately, someone stupider than most people decided this should come with Comfort: Softs, and look what it has done. Any hope the Mugen had of getting any good result was completely ruined, and as a result, it stood no chance in any of the tests. Even the TRD Celica!!! beat it around Grand Valley. Avoid this or get a set of SH tyres.

Nismo 270R '94

SpecialStageRouteX_21-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.957 seconds [Overall: 35]
0-100: 13.239 seconds [Overall: 33]
1/4 mile: 14.452 seconds [Overall: 33]
1 mile: 34.903 seconds [Overall: 31]
Max Speed: 163.5mph [Overall: 27]
Max G-Force: 0.55G [Overall: 34]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:20.769 [Overall: 35]

Fun-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 35]
Soul-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 27]
Speed-o-meter: 62/100 [Overall: 35]

Nismo 270R '94: 280bhp, 1240kg
Class: Low Road-Spec

This really was not as fast as the Nismo badge would suggest it could be. In fact, I would go ahead and call this one quite lousy...you can do so much better with this one.

It was the slowest car not on Comfort Softs around Grand Valley, which shows that this thing just does not go fast enough. You might wanna invest a tune in this, but really, you could just get another car for less than a tune.

Nismo 400R '96

SpecialStageRouteX_22-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.193 seconds [Overall: 17]
0-100: 10.324 seconds [Overall: 25]
1/4 mile: 12.822 seconds [Overall: 22]
1 mile: 32.828 seconds [Overall: 25]
Max Speed: 159.4mph [Overall: 29]
Max G-Force: 1.05G [Overall: 9]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:14.055 [Overall: 25]

Fun-o-meter: 68/100 [Overall: 31]
Soul-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 32]
Speed-o-meter: 68/100 [Overall: 24]

Nismo 400R '96: 414bhp, 1550kg
Class: High Road-Spec

This one's a lot better from Nismo. You really wish it could go a lot faster though. G-Force was high - even the Amuse S2k Turbo was beaten, but that said, you won't be beating S2k Turbos with this little speed.

The 400R has plenty of power and 4WD but also a big fat 1550kg to haul about, which really puts the car quite a way down the pecking order among tuners. It is fast, but you can do better.

Nismo Fairlady Z S-tune (Z33) '02

SpecialStageRouteX_23-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.365 seconds [Overall: 29]
0-100: 12.55 seconds [Overall: 29]
1/4 mile: 13.945 seconds [Overall: 29]
1 mile: 34.376 seconds [Overall: 29]
Max Speed: 172.7mph [Overall: 22]
Max G-Force: 0.69G [Overall: 23]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:14.560 [Overall: 27]

Fun-o-meter: 69/100 [Overall: 30]
Soul-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 26]
Speed-o-meter: 66/100 [Overall: 26]

Nismo Fairlady Z S-tune (Z33) '02: 287bhp, 1320kg

This is basically exactly the same as every single 350Z you will ever run into. Stock 350Zs could technically get these exact values, and this is probably the most average tuner in the whole game. Look at how well-rounded the results are and everything...

That said there is a decent amount of modification you can do to this thing. But we're not here to do modification...we're here to do testing. And this, in the testing, was very average. Boring.

Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03

SpecialStageRouteX_24-1.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.791 seconds [Overall: 10]
0-100: 8.351 seconds [Overall: 13]
1/4 mile: 12.061 seconds [Overall: 12]
1 mile: 29.864 seconds [Overall: 13]
Max Speed: 183.1mph [Overall: 15]
Max G-Force: 0.85G [Overall: 13]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:01.783 [Overall: 9]

Fun-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 14]
Soul-o-meter: 79/100 [Overall: 20]
Speed-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 16]

Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03: 404bhp, 1250kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (0/15), Titanium Racing Exhaust, 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

This is where Nismo cleans up and shows its 🤬 heels. This thing is ludicrously fast by most standards and is brilliant on a track. The Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune.

Like the Mine's GT-R '00 I have had numerous disagreements with this thing in GT4. Which I forgot to take into account on my soul rating. :lol: Either way, this is the Nismo to get if you are looking for speed. This has more than its fair share.

Nismo Skyline GT-R R-tune (R34) '99

SpecialStageRouteX_25.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.705 seconds [Overall: 9]
0-100: 8.699 seconds [Overall: 15]
1/4 mile: 12.094 seconds [Overall: 13]
1 mile: 30.356 seconds [Overall: 14]
Max Speed: 193.2mph [Overall: 8]
Max G-Force: 1.10G [Overall: 7]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:08.200 [Overall: 17]

Fun-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 20]
Soul-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 23]
Speed-o-meter: 79/100 [Overall: 12]

Nismo Skyline GT-R R-tune (R34) '99: 474bhp, 1560kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (0/15), Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

This is a car designed more to eat up straight lines than eat up corners. It is more powerful than the Z Z-tune by a good chunk, but also heavier and it comes on SH. Still, it is a top car at the top end.

This is probably a bit too good for 'High' Road-Spec to be honest, it's quite possibly the fastest you can get on Sports Hards. Use this thing well if you get it: on tracks like Sarthe, it'll be very effective.

Nismo Skyline GT-R S-tune (R32) '00

SpecialStageRouteX_27.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.021 seconds [Overall: 14]
0-100: 9.363 seconds [Overall: 22]
1/4 mile: 12.447 seconds [Overall: 19]
1 mile: 31.088 seconds [Overall: 21]
Max Speed: 190.4mph [Overall: 9]
Max G-Force: 1.08G [Overall: 8]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:10.389 [Overall: 19]

Fun-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 15]
Soul-o-meter: 84/100 [Overall: 12]
Speed-o-meter: 77/100 [Overall: 15]

Nismo Skyline GT-R S-tune (R32) '00: 423bhp, 1500kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, Fixed Sports Kit

The slightly slower, older chassied brother to the R-tune, although not necessarily a slouch. Coincidentally also comes in at exactly 500PP, though you could have fooled me. :sly:

Either way, this is also meant for straight lines. You know that with a 190mph top speed. Given the moderate power deficiency to the GT-R R-tune, that's not a bad deficit to it. Much like the R-tune, this one's a straight track monster, so take it there and give it its food.

Opera Performance 350Z '04

SpecialStageRouteX_26.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.75 seconds [Overall: 22]
0-100: 10.226 seconds [Overall: 24]
1/4 mile: 13.077 seconds [Overall: 25]
1 mile: 31.884 seconds [Overall: 23]
Max Speed: 185.0mph [Overall: 12]
Max G-Force: 0.71G [Overall: 21]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:11.790 [Overall: 22]

Fun-o-meter: 81/100 [Overall: 11]
Soul-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 16]
Speed-o-meter: 76/100 [Overall: 17]

Opera Performance 350Z '04: 362bhp, 1340kg
Parts fitted: Sports Exhaust, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

This is Opera's first tune, and the one I hadn't tried in this game before this point. However, as it turns out, it has a slight crisis on its hands, but we'll get onto that. Very, very soon.

But either way, this Opera was pretty decently fast and was particularly impressive at the top end, maxing out at 185. Driving it like mad was also pretty fun, and I thought of it as a pretty good machine.

Opera Performance S2000 '04

SpecialStageRouteX_28.jpg

Results:
0-60: 4.516 seconds [Overall: 20]
0-100: 10.219 seconds [Overall: 23]
1/4 mile: 12.962 seconds [Overall: 24]
1 mile: 32 seconds [Overall: 24]
Max Speed: 172.3mph [Overall: 23]
Max G-Force: 0.74G [Overall: 19]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:08.743 [Overall: 18]

Fun-o-meter: 92/100 [Overall: 2]
Soul-o-meter: 95/100 [Overall: 1]
Speed-o-meter: 69/100 [Overall: 22]

Opera Performance S2000 '04: 283bhp, 930kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (0/15), Sports Exhaust, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit
Class: S2000 Mania (this one was difficult to decide. It comes on Sports Hards...but it certainly doesn't look road legal. S2000 Mania seemed logical even though it is far faster than anything else in it)

This is something I've got experience with. The Opera S2000, built not necessarily for speed it seems, but more to give you a better ride than you'll ever get in a life time.

It also manages to put the Opera 350Z in a royal catastrophe. It manages to be faster in everything bar 1 mile (where the power comes into play and even then there's just a tenth in it) and Max Speed (very power based). Light weight destroys the 350Z, not to mention a little aero too. This one I can certainly recommend.

RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

SpecialStageRouteX_29.jpg

Results:
0-60: 3.868 seconds [Overall: 12]
0-100: 8.97 seconds [Overall: 18]
1/4 mile: 12.304 seconds [Overall: 14]
1 mile: 30.855 seconds [Overall: 20]
Max Speed: 171.6mph [Overall: 24]
Max G-Force: 0.86G [Overall: 12]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:02.447 [Overall: 10]

Fun-o-meter: 82/100 [Overall: 9]
Soul-o-meter: 95/100 [Overall: 2]
Speed-o-meter: 81/100 [Overall: 11]

RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7: 375bhp, 1240kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (20/35), Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Fully Customisable Suspension

One thing...the sound.

The rotary engine, with this exhaust, sounds totally amazing. Because it is what a rotary should always be. The area where you can hear the damn thing rotating...it sounds like it's almost fapping. And you should be too, to that bloody engine noise. Try and keep up :lol:

In terms of speed though, this was a very good one. I think I might have put it in the wrong tier though. :lol: The low point in the speed tests was the top speed, as would be expected of a rotary engine with bad torque. But the rest - the big aerodynamics and particularly that full suspension kit - make it lethal on a track. Recommended buy.

Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00

SpecialStageRouteX_30.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.904 seconds [Overall: 32]
0-100: 12.696 seconds [Overall: 30]
1/4 mile: 14.194 seconds [Overall: 31]
1 mile: 34.712 seconds [Overall: 30]
Max Speed: 156.1mph [Overall: 35]
Max G-Force: 0.55G [Overall: 35]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:16.187 [Overall: 30]

Fun-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 36]
Soul-o-meter: 83/100 [Overall: 14]
Speed-o-meter: 62/100 [Overall: 34]

Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00: 225bhp, 820kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust (downgradeable to a Sports Exhaust :boggled:), Fixed Sports Kit
Class: Lower Road-Spec

This is the lightest of any of the tuners here and probably quite notable too with the way its exhausts work. I haven't fitted a Sports Exhaust yet to see what it does but by the looks of it you don't lose any power.

Obviously the low engine power is a low point but then you also have it revving to very high levels. FF is a slight low point but it doesn't affect the Civic Type R in any way, obviously.

Spoon CR-Z

SpecialStageRouteX_31.jpg

Results:
0-60: 8.316 seconds [Overall: 38]
0-100: 21.873 seconds [Overall: 38]
1/4 mile: 16.627 seconds [Overall: 38]
1 mile: 41.227 seconds [Overall: 38]
Max Speed: 138.2mph [Overall: 38]
Max G-Force: 0.47G [Overall: 37]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:29.376 [Overall: 38]

Fun-o-meter: 62/100 [Overall: 38]
Soul-o-meter: 69/100 [Overall: 35]
Speed-o-meter: 52/100 [Overall: 38]

Spoon CR-Z: 146bhp, 1130kg
Class: Spoon CR-Z

And here we now have a completely unique tuner, partially because it's so slow, and partially because it's a hybrid. The Spoon CR-Z, probably the best tuner here for pure spec racing. I can imagine that would be very joyful.

Obviously, it was beaten in all the speed test categories here. OR WAS IT? Yes, it did beat one TRD Celica in the G-Force test, but that was it really for the CR-Z. Poor thing. Among tuners, it's like the Indy Colts from Tecmo Super Bowl (thumbs up if you ever played that game).

Spoon Integra Type R (DC2) '99

SpecialStageRouteX_32.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.931 seconds [Overall: 33]
0-100: 14.194 seconds [Overall: 34]
1/4 mile: 14.525 seconds [Overall: 34]
1 mile: 35.868 seconds [Overall: 34]
Max Speed: 157.1mph [Overall: 34]
Max G-Force: 0.56G [Overall: 33]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:18.346 [Overall: 32]

Fun-o-meter: 66/100 [Overall: 33]
Soul-o-meter: 81/100 [Overall: 18]
Speed-o-meter: 60/100 [Overall: 37]

Spoon Integra Type R (DC2) '99: 228bhp, 1080kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, Fixed Sports Kit

This is basically the same as the Civic albeit a lot heavier. And made an Integra. And also with a higher revving engine - 10000rpm is the max of all tuners for the most RPM to get peak power.

This thing is fast enough when you're driving it, but the AI doesn't seem to like driving it much at all. That puts me in mind of a Honda race car - the Gathers Drider Civic Race Car '98 - something I need to try again. Badly...

Spoon S2000 '00

SpecialStageRouteX_33.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.137 seconds [Overall: 27]
0-100: 11.972 seconds [Overall: 27]
1/4 mile: 13.672 seconds [Overall: 28]
1 mile: 33.817 seconds [Overall: 27]
Max Speed: 169.0mph [Overall: 26]
Max G-Force: 0.69G [Overall: 24]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:14.384 [Overall: 26]

Fun-o-meter: 84/100 [Overall: 6]
Soul-o-meter: 92/100 [Overall: 5]
Speed-o-meter: 69/100 [Overall: 23]

Spoon S2000 '00: 284bhp, 1100kg

Here is Spoon's best work, their S2000 tune, forever locked in battle with Amuse's similarly specced R1. And while it beats it in some, it does not beat it in others.

However, Spoon's tune can at least slide a little. Amuse's cannot. The Spoon also gets better top end and extra power helps it get better 0-100 and 1 mile times too. It's your call, really.

Tom's X540 Chaser '00

SpecialStageRouteX_34.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.581 seconds [Overall: 30]
0-100: 13.136 seconds [Overall: 31]
1/4 mile: 14.209 seconds [Overall: 32]
1 mile: 34.994 seconds [Overall: 32]
Max Speed: 170.1mph [Overall: 25]
Max G-Force: 0.62G [Overall: 27]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:17.538 [Overall: 31]

Fun-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 23]
Soul-o-meter: 66/100 [Overall: 36]
Speed-o-meter: 64/100 [Overall: 30]

Tom's X540 Chaser '00: 330bhp, 1490kg
Class: Low Road-Spec

Tom's' badge looks like a kitchen appliance badge when you preview it. :lol: This quite a heavyweight this one, and there isn't a terribly high amount of power to haul all of it along.

This thing had a very difficult soul rating to work out, as there is no other Chaser in this game to base it off of. Therefore I just went by what was there and it wasn't that high. Speed wasn't that great given the big power in front - the weight really does take its toll here.

Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (S.Shigeno Ver.) '00

SpecialStageRouteX_35.jpg

Results:
0-60: 6.248 seconds [Overall: 36]
0-100: 14.446 seconds [Overall: 36]
1/4 mile: 14.808 seconds [Overall: 36]
1 mile: 36.103 seconds [Overall: 36]
Max Speed: 155.9 mph [Overall: 36]
Max G-Force: 0.52G [Overall: 36]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:20.501 [Overall: 34]

Fun-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 24]
Soul-o-meter: 91/100 [Overall: 6]
Speed-o-meter: 62/100 [Overall: 32]

Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (S.Shigeno Ver.) '00: 217bhp, 825kg
Parts fitted: Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust, 5 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

This Trueno is literally completely on par with the Spoon Civic for stats. It is just 5kg heavier and only a few hp short. But in fact, this turned out to be a massive disappointment. A very slow and crushing disappointment.

It was very consistent with its results, granted - a 36th in every speed test barring Grand Valley - which does kinda say something: this is one for the track. But it is still nowhere near close to the Civic despite the stats saying otherwise. Great car, but only for Initial D fans, really. :P

TRD Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00

SpecialStageRouteX_36.jpg

Results:
0-60: 7.682 seconds [Overall: 37]
0-100: 16.847 seconds [Overall: 37]
1/4 mile: 15.842 seconds [Overall: 37]
1 mile: 38.212 seconds [Overall: 37]
Max Speed: 159.2mph [Overall: 30]
Max G-Force: 0.45G [Overall: 38]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:22.539 [Overall: 36]

Fun-o-meter: 67/100 [Overall: 32]
Soul-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 33]
Speed-o-meter: 65/100 [Overall: 29]

TRD Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00: 207bhp, 1140kg
Parts fitted: Sports Exhaust, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

And here we now have the TRD Celica, which may seem like 2nd worst to the CR-Z...you'd think. Because actually, as you can tell, this thing packs a big punch.

Even the Mine's Lancer Evolution VI could not get as fast a top speed as the TRD Celica on Route X. And in addition, on Grand Valley, it beat the Mugen S2000. Most people underestimate this TRD, but it hang in quite well here, I found. Well, not off the line, but whatever.

Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '03

SpecialStageRouteX_37.jpg

Results:
0-60: 5.3 seconds [Overall: 28]
0-100: 11.422 seconds [Overall: 26]
1/4 mile: 13.662 seconds [Overall: 27]
1 mile: 33.433 seconds [Overall: 26]
Max Speed: 176.6mph [Overall: 18]
Max G-Force: 0.61G [Overall: 28]
Grand Valley Lap: 2:05.239 [Overall: 15]

Fun-o-meter: 72/100 [Overall: 27]
Soul-o-meter: 74/100 [Overall: 30]
Speed-o-meter: 78/100 [Overall: 14]

Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '03: 294bhp, 1140kg
Parts fitted: Aerodynamics (0/15), Titanium Racing Exhaust, Height-Adjustable Sports Kit

This is one of the more unique tuners here - an FF with 294bhp, quite possibly the fastest FF in the game in fact. Yet the results in the speed test were very underwhelming.

It did a decent job in top speed and on Grand Valley it was very good despite the FF drivetrain. If I were Trial, to be honest, I would probably put this to FR. It doesn't really work, having something like this as an FF.

Well, there you have it. Your guide to all 38 tuners in the game, and their overall results in every test. Now we're gonna get to the actual results...​

Pictures and writing by C-ZETA

Last edited:
VspecZR1GT2RS89
This is a impressive review right here, I can't wait for the other half of the review:tup:.

'Half'?

Mate, I'm only one fifth and a bit through the first bit :lol: I could have done them all in one go but unfortunately life's too short for that :lol:

C-ZETA
'Half'?

Mate, I'm only one fifth and a bit through the first bit :lol: I could have done them all in one go but unfortunately life's too short for that :lol:

Got ya there! :lol:

Well half or one fifth completed, I'm still wating though, but take your time dude, but not all the way to December 21:nervous::scared::lol:. Because I must prepare then. :lol:

Just kidding.

Can't wait to see more of the D1 cars like the Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline. Tons of fun to drive, though they burn through tires like crazy.

Took my lvl 33 B-Spec driver 13 laps around Tsukuba to burn through a set of Racing Softs :nervous: Even fewer for me :sly:

Done up to the Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.Spec N1 base '00 now.

As a warning note, the truly, properly fast stuff is pretty much all done now, so, if you don't like slow cars...look away now. :P

C-ZETA
Done up to the Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.Spec N1 base '00 now.

As a warning note, the truly, properly fast stuff is pretty much all done now, so, if you don't like slow cars...look away now. :P

Save them for last, it's more anticipation.

Amuse S2000 GT1 '04
Here is one of the first truly fast tuners in this test - the S2000 GT1.

Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.Spec N1 base '00
!!!!!!! This thing is bloody fast!!!!!!

I did the 9 hour Tsukuba Endurance Race this weekend, and two of the fastest AI cars were the above-mentioned, so your testing confirms what I experienced. The Mine's was faster than the Amuse for the first 100 or so laps, until the Amuse took its place to follow me for the remainder of the race.

I am curious why you did not include the RE Amemiya-tuned FD3S RX-7 street car in your tests. It is available as a premium car. RE Amemiya is considered to be one of the best rotary engine tuners.

I used the RE RX-7 with RKM Motorsport's tune w/final gear adjusted for Tsukuba. It was not as fast on the main straight, and PP 557 was lower than many of the other cars...but it destroyed the other AI-driven tuner cars in the turns.

Depending on tires I used my lap times ranged between 55 to 60 sec, was able to finish 8 laps ahead. I use a Fanatec wheel and pedals.

Last edited:
I did the 9 hour Tsukuba Endurance Race this weekend, and the two fastest AI cars were the above-mentioned two, so your testing confirms what I experienced. The Mine's was faster than the Amuse for the first 100 or so laps, until the Amuse took its place to follow me for the remainder of the race.

I am curious why you did not include the RE Amemiya-tuned FD3S RX-7 street car in your tests. It is available as a premium car. RE Amemiya is considered to be one of the best rotary engine tuners.

The Mine's kept ahead of the Amuse? Damn, that's amazing. :)

The RE Amemiya is coming up. Just it's late in the order as I'm going in alphabetical order here.

The Mine's kept ahead of the Amuse? Damn, that's amazing. :)

The RE Amemiya is coming up. Just it's late in the order as I'm going in alphabetical order here.

I made a mistake, I just remembered that I took a pic of the race results. It was the Amuse GT1 '04, not the turbo, and it seems as if in the end the Mine's came in third behind the Lexus. I will try to post the picture in a bit, and correct my previous post.

There were some strange things about the AI in the race, one of the AI's was driving the same RE Amemiya RX-7 as I was.

About 3/4 the way through the race it pitted every lap and weaved like it was drunk all over the track. It would go down the straight leading to the pits and shift to block cars coming from behind. It finished 70 laps behind.

I was really puzzled why the Mine's was so fast in the beginning compared to the Amuse. I wonder if PD played with the AI programming for 2.0.4.

Here is the picture, most of the cars you are testing were run by the AI, so I think its' relevant to your test. Excuse the flash glare.

DSC05678.jpg

Last edited:
There's OCD...and then there's your latest review. 👍

What's interesting about that is the result the Mine's '06 and HPA TT got. Both behind a Stage II and a (modified) 380RS...the CT230R in the race is actually lightened down a little though to put it on par with the Higher Tier racers. And to think the results are largely completely different for the Nurb 4h...

DK
There's OCD...and then there's your latest review. 👍

Excuse my love for tuners then. :lol:

When you said 38 cars I thought you were going to do all of the premium supercars. I'm loving this review. I want to do a comparison of all of the supercars in the game eventually, but it must be a ton of work.

~Turtle
turtle.gif

Not sure if you'd be interested, but maybe you could write a quick review for the car of the week thread? It would help give the thread and idea more publicity since it seems you're one of the most active and popular reviewers on here, the car this week is an 2001 Alfa GTV Spider, just a thought..

Not sure if you'd be interested, but maybe you could write a quick review for the car of the week thread? It would help give the thread and idea more publicity since it seems you're one of the most active and popular reviewers on here, the car this week is an 2001 Alfa GTV Spider, just a thought..

Perhaps...not sure if it would be 'the week' though by the time the time I've finished ALL the tuners.

And besides which, I'm working on a much prettier road car anyway. :P

Though I did give a post in there about the GTV coupe and how good it was in GT4.

Back