C-ZETA's car reviews - C-ZETA Awards 2012 - 21/12/12

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 754 comments
C-ZETA
Wrong. SSC are projecting a max top speed of 276mph for the Tuatara, which beats the current Veyron SS by 9mph...

I know but the SS was revealed just before the ssc. Only bug insiders knew about it. Mr Shelby (CEO) even said its not their answer to the bug despite people's beliefs that it was. It was simply to show SSC were a serious company with the ability to take the record higher. Since then the Agera R and VenomGT have appeared. The fastest car race is hotting up :)

G-WIZ says, "Duh." :lol:

also, to be honest, I prefer the Focus' design to that of the Megane... that's just my preference talking though. nothing special.

Focus' design to that of the Megane... that's just my preference talking though. nothing special.

At the present moment, I largely see the hot hatch section being divided into about three segments for the sizes of hatchback: small (for two special cases), middle and full-size.

Currently the Focus hot hatches aren't on sale as the new model is out, but I might as well slot them in this equation anyway.

The Abarth 500 and the Renaultsport Twingo are the two that are the smallest hot hatches, and I like them both equally pretty much. I really like the new 500 in general, though I'd more than likely just have the TwinAir now. The RS Twingo is the only good model of it on sale (Gordini is just a vastly overpriced special version of it), although the old Twingo was really cool...except it never came to the UK, but I see a ton of them on my holidays in Croatia.

Currently, the main mid-size hot hatches on sale are the Citroen DS3 Racing, Mini Cooper S/JCW, Renaultsport Clio 200, Skoda Fabia vRS, Suzuki Swift Sport and the Vauxhall Corsa VXR (mainly the Nurburgring version).

I personally believe the Citroen is pretty fast but quite expensive. The Cooper is good overall but might not be fast enough. The Clio is really the best overall but it's almost too good. The Fabia vRS is one I like personally, the Swift Sport is not too powerful but looks good and the Corsa is meh in normal form and improved in Nurb form. I personally prefer the vRS and Swift in this part most.

The main full-size hot hatches here are the Audi RS3, Renaultsport Megane 250 (maybe 265), Seat Leon FR/Cupra R and the Golf GTI (R sometimes). I'll put the old Focus ST and RS under this equation also. (Technically speaking you could put the 1M under this category barely, but that could really fit into one of a million classes among cars...)

The RS3 is very fast but apparently not very good at going around corners. The Seat is not really given enough mention so I'm a bit clueless with that sadly. The Focus ST is sorta fast but not very fast.

The big three in this bit are the Megane RS, Golf GTI and Focus RS. The Megane I personally find looks amazing - plus it's got good power in both models and still looks pretty good after the recent facelift. I'd happily want to own one. The Golf GTI is my second choice because it literally does everything - the R is good for winter but a lot less sophisticated otherwise. I'd like one of those too, but it's not quite as powerful as the Megane sadly.

The problem with the Focus is, it's nearly too good like the Clio, and it does seem to take away from its appeal a lot. It looks big and powerful, and it is, and it's very cheap, and it seems so good I can't seem to help but hate it myself. I just can't like it with other cars being so good as well like the Megane.

I do personally think that hot hatches are tied with estates for the best car class around today, because they're so well-rounded. Estates just do more of it for more money, whereas hot hatches can do less of it for less money, so it's win-win.

So after that essay on modern hot hatches...yeah. :lol: What else have you been up to then? :lol:

I don't quite know if I'll actually be able to get any updates up today, thanks to something I was never told but apparently was actually made clear to me earlier and so therefore I'm gonna probably have the whole day away. And I had a lot planned for today, so I don't know if I'll be able to follow it up for tomorrow, especially given how I'll have less time to do it all...such an absolute 🤬 nightmare. :grumpy:

eh, don't sweat it. I have yet to start on mine too. :lol:

also, I was clearly talking about the Megane RS and the Focus RS... to be honest I haven't really checked on these hot hatches but thanks for the info, I guess. :lol:

Holden Monaro CV8 '04
Australian, mate?! Sounds good to me!

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_12-1.jpg

Holden Monaro CV8 '04
Stats

Power: 334bhp
Weight: 1658kg
Price: 47,960 Cr.
Prize: No
0-60: 5.493 seconds
0-100: 12.775 seconds
¼ mile: 14.044 seconds
1 mile: 34.572 seconds
Max Speed: 170.2mph
Max G-Force: 0.62G
Drivetrain: FR
Possible AI in: None

Holden's most recent stuff, which has been released here under the Vauxhall badge, has been super awesome. The newest VXR8 here looks so awesome and drives so awesomely as well, and the Maloo VXR is much the same, with much more practicality and maybe even awesomeness. However, this is the sort of stuff that was given before, and this Monaro looks a good deal calmer than what we have today. But still good.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_11-1.jpg

It is somewhat less powerful than what we have today though. Question is, will that perturb it from its normal style here?

Well...I'm afraid, it sort of does. How saddening.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_10-1.jpg

Granted, I was testing it on Monza. Monza is a track for speed and leaves hardly any true opportunities for sliding. The first two chicanes certainly limit this thing here, but even around the rest of the track - the Lesmos, Ascari and the Parabolica, this did not exactly move like lightning.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_5-2.jpg

334bhp does not seem like enough. Thankfully you have a lot of room for modification on this thing: enough to make you reach close to 750bhp with a full mod. So evidently, this is a car you need to modify up to get the best of. There are 3 tunes here on GTP for the Monaro: one of which comes from the highly rated XDesperado67.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_4-4.jpg

That said, this Monaro does still look very good, and it probably will in any of the stock colors this comes in, not just this yellow "Devil"...hey. Wait a minute.

That's a yellow devil. Yeah.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_3-5.jpg

So anyway, this Monaro does not seem to have been taken to the max. If you tune it up to the levels of the modern Holden stuff - I take that to be 414bhp to be precise - it should rock the socks of most of you. I'm not here to drive a tuned model though - I'm here to drive the stock model. It should also be noticed that this is rather prone to consistent collisions with Ford vehicles of all sorts, although not by accident. It just does it.

Final Score: 11/20

Pictures and writing by C-ZETA

Subaru 360 '58
Ladies and gentlemen......welcome to...something that is too many things to simply fit into this italic sub-text at the top.

AutumnRingMini_5.jpg

Subaru 360 '58
Stats

Power: 16bhp
Weight: 385kg
Price: 36,000 Cr.
Prize: Yes (World Classic Car Series in A-Spec)
0-60:
impossibru.jpg

0-100:
impossibru.jpg

¼ mile: 30.866 seconds
1 mile: 1 min 27.012 seconds
Max Speed: 49.4mph
Max G-Force: 0.22G
Drivetrain: RR
Possible AI in: None

Of all the contenders for the biggest joke character in the game, this ranks up there with them. Top 5 at least.

This is the Subaru 360, the car which, I'm ashamed to say, rather made this terrible horrible company that went on to try and bully Mitsubishi with their own cars. And, like most starts, this was a bit of a false one for Subie.

AutumnRingMini_4.jpg

This is the undisputed, no contest, slowest car by mph in the whole game. Since the omission of Merc's 1886 originals, this has now become the absolute slowest car in the whole game. Well done! :D

If you didn't notice the correlation, this is very much like a Japanese Fiat 500. Much like there's a 'Japanese Giulia TZ2' somewhere out there, this fits the 500 rivalry sector to a T. The thing is though, it is remarkably light. 385kg of light in fact. Useful in tuning, I guess. And if you were silly enough to buy this thing, you probably would be tuning it in fact.

AutumnRingMini_3.jpg

Did you know this was so significant in GT4 that it even had its own race. If you won the Tsukuba based race, you won another 360, in WR Blue Mica. :lol: Ah, so this did start the rallying craze! Mind you, it'd be fine in classic time trial rallies today. Just not as fast as Fiat 500s.

This thing actually loses just 34kg with all weight reduction which is amazing. Its max tuned power is 62bhp, which means you will be racing this thing against kei cars mostly even with the fullest of full mods for this thing.

AutumnRingMini_2.jpg

Among Subarus, this actually tends to be alright. Partially because it's so much in one that it obsoletes a majority of the Impreza cast and all of the Legacy cast. On that note, did you know this is the only Subaru not in the Impreza or Legacy range in the whole game. Goes to show how much they milked those stupid idiotic cars.

AutumnRingMini_1.jpg

If Subaru remade this in a form as Fiat did with their 500 (which is the best city car right now IMO), I wouldn't mind too much. I'm sure I could actually like this, sort of like I sort of do with the BRZ, as you can get that as a Toyota anyway (or a Scion if you plan on being embarrassed).

One last thing, the actual drive. You may not think this matters at all on something capable of breaking no further than 49 (50 down a hill), but of course, this is RR. Remember the Volkswagen 1200? If you cornered that hard enough, you could actually get it to drift slooooooooowly around. This does much the same thing, but on a far lesser scale and not a drastic one at all. Still, it has some life, so be happy!

AutumnRingMini.jpg

Comic relief is the name of the game with this Subie. It is a good rival to the Fiat 500 here, but it is also the slowest car in the game and also quite a love-hate one with the stupid divide between GTPites, of the ones like me who'll just take whatever their given, and the ones who are stupidly stuck in speed mode and cannot get in anything that gets from 0-100 in less time than it covers a 1/4, and also like the Amuse S2k Turbo for nothing but the speed. There's plenty I'd take over it, like the N360, 500, SambaBus, Schwimmwagen, Carol, Z Act, 2CV etc...but still, you can do worse. I just wish the Daihatsu Midget were still here...lol, what a 3-wheeler.

Final Score: 14/20

The REAL
Grand Tour: Britain

Hey there folks, it's C-ZETA and welcome back to Gran Turismo 5.

123_9686.jpg

123_9688.jpg

Wait a minute. This isn't Gran Turismo 5. It's...

123_9689.jpg

CR-X del sol LM!!

123_9690.jpg

Hello there folks and welcome to a new project I have started. This is 'The REAL Grand Tour', a project where I will be covering all different kinds of individual tracks, but it will work in a geographical order. There will be some original tracks in the list, based on where I locate them in my general mind.

123_9691.jpg

Like here, for instance. We start in Trial Mountain, which I will always believe to be a part of Scotland for reasons involving stuff like...mountains. No?

The question is...why not do this in GT5? There's a good reason for that.

123_9692.jpg

Firstly, Trial Mountain was in the original GT, obviously. Secondly, I just really wanna show the CR-X del sol LM so all you newcomers get to know what it exactly does in the original game, and how kind this game is to cars that are no more than a ton. Sometimes even more than a ton.

123_9693.jpg

As you can see, this CR-X del sol LM literally flies about everywhere on this track. As it is just 900kg, combined with the mid-placed 563bhp engine on the back, this makes for some seriously wicked stuff.

123_9694.jpg

But anyway, after my part in selling GT1 to all you lesser junkies, we move on to the track description itself.

123_9695.jpg

Trial Mountain was a great course upon its intro into GT1 and...well, it still is. The twisting section at the beginning leads into the, quite literally, rocky section of mid-size corners around the place, then that shrouded section of back straight, along with more forest-shrouded twisties, and then the opening to the finish of this 2.47 mile circuit, finishing with a chicane that'll give you some true vertical takeoff - even now! - if you don't take care.

123_9697.jpg

...I rest my case. But then again, the del sol LM just flies everywhere in GT1. Trial Mountain in general was arguably the bounciest track in the original, with high kerbs everywhere and medium corners requiring long tail-slides to get around them.

The CR-X del sol LM in GT1 never ever gets a lot of love in GT1, but that's because it's such a hard car to master. Once you get it down, it rips up everything. Only the racing Concept Car is ever going to be faster, perhaps something with a similar p/w but is slightly more controllable, but seriously, this thing feels really, really 🤬 fast. Of course, the physics engine in this game was as hilarious as this car, as this could match laptimes on Grand Valley that Ferrari F10s would manage today.

123_9699.jpg

So anyway, as we cross, or maybe slide, over the line, we now move onto the next part of the tour of Britain - going considerably more south than really necessary...

London_6-4.jpg

And it's a traffic jam! Even London couldn't escape these in GT5. God :dunce:

London_5-2.jpg

We enrolled in a Nissan Leaf for this, and no there was not a point where we ran out of juice but we couldn't actually refuel despite putting the max amount of fuel in. Good job, because London does not have a pitlane...

London_4-3.jpg

This is London, where the 2012 Olympic Games are being held... (he smiles smugly.) Surely this could be used as a track to endorse Olympic motor racing? Well...if I were Lord Coe, I probably wouldn't. Of course, there's the matter of congestion since this goes right past Piccadilly Circus itself :eek: and even then...it isn't a very good track. Yes we could use Wembley like for the Race of Champions but that's being used for the football and um...

London_3-3.jpg

London was an early dead-cert for GT5, showing up in the Prologue version as one of the hardest tracks in said game. Indeed, London may be short but it's not an easy track. The course in general is very tight, and passing is few and far between. Think of it as a prologue for Monaco which is coming up later.

London_2-3.jpg

In slow cars like these, it's OK. Indeed, in said cars, you can still rack up about 1:10 laptimes so they certainly seem sensible enough. As you get higher up the speed tier though, the track gets increasingly harder. Walls appear at you faster, and you certainly won't have much time to avoid them. Or the AI cars which will also come at you faster when they brake earlier than you.

London_1-2.jpg

I certainly don't mind London as a track though. It gives some good representation to the good old UK here, but of course if you are planning on using it for full online racing it suffers from the big old problem of having no pit lane. Best stick to shuffle racing with this thing, I'm afraid. I'm sure dirty shuffle is a great use for this track.

London-5.jpg

But anyway, as we've finished, it's time to get out of London...in 2 hours time...when the traffic clears...and I've paid the congestion charge...and I've seen xty thousand red buses and Boris Johnson's bikes...yeah.

However, there is a problem. We have a split path here before the next part of the Tour. One part goes down towards the Channel Tunnel, in SE London, but the other goes straight south towards about Guildford. Path 1 leads to the Grand Valley Speedway: the other leads to the Top Gear Test Track.

Since obviously we can't be in both places at the same time without some stupid-ridiculous power, we shall call upon a secret mini-cam...which I don't have any pics of, sorry, to sneak across to the Top Gear Test Track while I go and check out the Grand Valley Speedway. It'd be more favourable for me.

So anyway...

GrandValleySpeedway_6-1.jpg

Here it is!! The Grand Valley Speedway, which is actually somehow in the same hometown as where I live (not really :3). In here, not only do you have the big bad full 3.07 mile track, but there's a new indoor track (not Kart Space, it's different to that), an offroad facility, a 'velodrome' that's a bit like a hybrid of a NASCAR short track and normal speedway (just going the wrong way), and a top secret testing facility including a full freezer and even a volcano...one would think. Also, those rock faces in the tunnel? There's actually a secret entrance into the water for jet skis and stuff. Of course, all around these parts, you have many shops of all kinds of variety. And there's a secret pillar in the car park that leads you to...things that shall not be mentioned.

But I can't show you any of the above. Apart from the 3.07 mile track.

GrandValleySpeedway_5-1.jpg

And it's this we will be driving in! Our favourite friend of the lot here, the Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car. I could have done this on GT1 again but the only FTO LM I have there is black and...that isn't as good. Oh yeah, did I mention I found a green one of these? Better than dark blue for sure...even though that was my souvenir of the Suzuka 1000km I did. Which is the best endurance I have ever done.

GrandValleySpeedway_4-1.jpg

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it here: this is my favourite track in the series. Why may this be? Well, I just think it's the most...real of all the tracks made by PD. It's also the longest from the original game, sans SSR11, but that's for another time.

GrandValleySpeedway_3-1.jpg

This track has everything to it. To start with, you have a hugely dangerous hairpin coming in from a speedy kink from the long home straight. Then you get the sweeping pair of corners, followed by another sharp hairpin, then a section of constant mid-size corners, then you get to another big hairpin before going into the first tunnel.

GrandValleySpeedway_2-1.jpg

After than, you have a long corner going into the second tunnel with another long corner, leading into that famous blue bridge and then into the third tunnel, with another long sweeper.

GrandValleySpeedway_1-1.jpg

Then comes a killer double hairpin, followed by a long run to the last, fast corner and then the long home straight to the finish line.

GrandValleySpeedway-4.jpg

Describing this track does not do it justice. Go out there and do it yourself. Indeed, it is one of only a handful of original tracks to have a short version, and is the only fictional track in this game with an endurance of any kind. I advise you to go and drive on this track. A lot.

Meanwhile...

jeremy_clarkson_-_p_2011.jpg

"Some say he literally drunk Rubens Barrichello into retiring from Formula 1."

jeremy-clarkson.png

"And that he recently turned an attempt to make goal-line technology...into a piece of cheese."

Large%20Image.jpg

"All we know is...he's called The Stig!"

TheTopGearTestTrack_8-1.jpg
"And he's off!"

TheTopGearTestTrack_7-1.jpg
"First corner...good line..."

TheTopGearTestTrack_6-1.jpg
"Coming up to Chicago now...still holding it well..."

TheTopGearTestTrack_5-4.jpg
"Coming up to Hammerhead...even there, look, no hesitation!"

TheTopGearTestTrack_4-3.jpg
"Coming up to the Follow-through...ooh!!! Getting a bit wide there!!!"

TheTopGearTestTrack_3-3.jpg
"Coming up to the tyres...god that's quick!"

TheTopGearTestTrack_2-5.jpg
"Second to last corner...still sticking there..."

TheTopGearTestTrack_1-4.jpg
"Only Gambon left now...cutting the corner nicely..."

TheTopGearTestTrack-6.jpg
"And across the line!"

Up next:
PO_Joe01--article_image.jpg

"Vive la France!

Hmm. I always thought Trial Mountain and Grand Valley were in Japan. Trial Mountain would be like Nissan's answer to Suzuka (Honda-owned) and Fuji (Toyota-owned).

The REAL
Grand Tour: France

Hello and welcome to France. Where most stuff is on fire apparently. Ooh dear. Le Mans isn't, though!

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_1-2.jpg

Here is the Peugeot 908, and this isn't on fire either. (Well...it will be, as it's the '10 version, and all of them failed in Le Mans at '10...) This is a diesel, yes, and it revs low, yes, but god it's quick. Much better than that German precision thingy the R10. It comes in at about mid-table in the rankings of Cars That Are Ranked Among Le Mans Racers, as it has plenty of power, weight, and torque (duh! :dopey:) but everything else just seems to be easier to me. Well, certainly to me anyway.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009-4.jpg

This is Circuit de la Sarthe, my favourite of all the World Circuits! :D This place is steeped in history, and in this game it's superb.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_2-2.jpg

The Dunlop curves beckon first, along with the Dunlop Bridge, which then lead to Tertre Rouge, at which point you then get to the road section and the long long Hunaudieres straight: coincidentally what this 908 is on right now.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005_2.jpg

Whoa! It just transformed to a 905! This is the original base of the 908, the car that inspired said company to come back for more. This was the last winner of the Group C era, and my favourite Group C in this game, even though it might well be the slowest.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005_1.jpg

So anyway. Where were we? Ah yes. At the end of the gigantic straight, you get a sharp reminder of your brakes at the Mulsanne corner, before you go straight back up the rev counter again down Indianapolis: the area where Peter Dumbreck famously flipped his CLR in 1999 (incidentally also the most recent Le Mans with a super awesome lineup and the one before Audi bought the event itself).

CircuitdelaSarthe2005-2.jpg

Then comes Arnage, which leads down on another fast section to the Porsche Curves and off the legal roads. After that, just the Ford Chicanes lie in front of you to finish the near-8.5 mile course.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_3.jpg

Whoa! Now we have a Mark IV! And...the chicanes have disappeared and we now have monochrome! Cool.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_2.jpg

Wait a minute. Has anyone realised something? ...We're going back in time.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_1.jpg

Oh god...we can't go back much further. There won't be anything to drive if it goes back far enough...oh god...no more! Stop!

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes.jpg

OH GOD NO DON'T GO BACK ANY FURTHER YOU'RE GONNA BREAK THE GAME STOP THIS NOW OH GO

tv-color-bars-no-signal.png

We apologise for the interference. Your regularly scheduled programming will resume soon.

Well that was annoying...

So anyway...moving down south...to Chamonix!

Chamonix-Main_4.jpg

...And here we have a group...of rally enthusiasts.

Chamonix-Main_3.jpg

This is Chamonix and it is cold here! Oh damn.

Chamonix was originally a track in the last game, GT4, but it was in a completely different configuration to this. Supposedly it was just about 2 miles but trust me, laps still took about 2'40 in Group B rally cars. It was so 🤬 tedious.

Here, it is now about 5 miles, but still takes usually 3 minutes to get around. However, the long length has opened up the opportunity for different track forms...indeed, this has 3 short forms.

This is also the only pure snow course in the game originally and of course the only one you can get snow on...not counting the Nurburgring and SSR7 special rarities you can have.

Chamonix-Main_2.jpg

Here, the full version is a very mixed bag. You've got full speed corners, fast straights - some bumpier than others - and tight turns. This is a great snow testing ground, and this trumps the old Chamonix (which also had some tarmac on it, I shall note) and the last game's Ice Arena by a long way.

Chamonix-Main_1.jpg

Of course, there are a few drawbacks. Mainly the fact the AI is truly as you'd expect on here: hopeless. They take corners all too slowly, and the snow rallies in GT Mode are sooooo easy because of the AI's laziness on the snow.

And of course, there's the fact that you can't drive anything RWD, especially MRs, on the track. I tried driving a 5 Maxi Turbo on this track. You know it as a car that cannot handle even on the tarmac. Well, you know how it was on snow? Undriveable. U-N-D-R-I-V-E-A-B-L-E. Seriously, don't take it there, or in fact, don't bother buying it cause there's so much better.

Chamonix-Main.jpg

But whatever, sadly Chamonix's time in the light is sadly over and unfortunately, so is France's. So see you next time...but again, we have a split path.

We have two countries either side of France now: Belgium, or Switzerland. Once again we call upon our trusty secret camera which will capture us some footage in Belgium, whilst I go ahead to Switzerland. Why? Well, because I just think it's better. Mkay?

Up next:
swiss-cheese-psychedelic-randomosity-23728121-324-312.jpg

Cheese.

26formulaone-spa-blog480.jpg

and Rain.

The REAL
Grand Tour: Belgium/Switzerland

Hello and welcome back to The REAL Grand Tour. This time we see our camera in Belgium, and myself in Switzerland! Finally we're getting on the track of the game's Grand Tour...

LigeGravel_8.jpg

...but first, there's a dispute. It's between the Lancers and the Imprezas. Lancers on the right, Imprezas on the left. But which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

HHfight.jpg

LigeGravel_7.jpg

We have our first created track of the tour! This is the Liege Gravel theme, and among themes it is definitely one of the best.

LigeGravel_6.jpg

Ooh look, a CR-X del sol LM move! On gravel.

LigeGravel_5.jpg

The main thing that Liege tracks have going for them are big numbers of miles. Whereas Alaska focuses on getting trillions of corners, Liege focuses on pure length.

LigeGravel_4.jpg

Let me give you an example of this. If you get the settings right on your track, you will be able to get tracks of 6 miles easily, in many of the different variations. The highest I can remember really capping the mileage at here was in the 6.6 range, though I reckon you can go higher. The only track I have gotten with longer than that was a Toscana track with 7 miles, but that is a very luck based mission and the mileage for tracks there tends to be very variable.

LigeGravel_3.jpg

Most of the tracks Liege will make will be all pretty good, but the toughest tracks will not be easy at all. You get a lot of double corners you have to weave yourself through, and a lot of corners coming at you very quickly. Of course, this also provides the base for the Gravel Rallies in the GT Rally Special Event.

LigeGravel_2.jpg

On the subject of those events, I'll say it: I haven't golded one of those rallies. The AI is really good on gravel. Whereas they failed on snow to the point of being able to pass them in the rallies, and they are just OK on tarmac, they are all super good on tarmac no matter how you look at it. Gravel tends to be slightly more forgiving than snow though, with anything RWD not having so much trouble here.

Liege Gravel tracks, overall, tend to be all pretty good. They're always usually pretty long and can make for some tough challenges. It can feel a bit weird not being on a truly authentic track to the game, but still, it's one of the strongest Course Maker themes, which is more than can be said for some other themes.

LigeGravel_1.jpg

And it looks like the Evo VIII Rally Car won. Woo!!! Go Team Evo!!!

LigeGravel.jpg

...But the other Impreza '99 beat the Mine's Evo VI. Damn...

LigeGravel_9-1.jpg

...Unfortunately, at this point, the camera was hit by an angry Subaru fan and was toppled over just as the Mine's came to finish. I must say, if you actually view this the right way (Ctrl Alt Left) that shot does look very decent...

...But anyway, the race at Liege is over. We now head over to a slightly less gravelly location...

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_5.jpg

...Spa! And here, we have an R8 LMS! And my god, it's not raining!

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_4.jpg

Spa was implemented into this game as DLC from Spec 2, and needless to say, it became big straight upon release. Not a surprise - this is considered one of the top F1 tracks on the calendar, and with good reason. This place is a great track.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_3.jpg

You start with the tough hairpin La Source, a slow, tight hairpin which has hosted a wide variety of collisions previously. Then down the hill to the superb Eau Rouge - how you take that largely depends on what sort of car you choose to take it in.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_2-1.jpg

You then take the fast Kemmel straight before braking sharply for Les Combes, a tough chicane with a very difficult line. Following that comes the long Rivage corner, which goes down to the mid-size Pouhon corner.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_1-1.jpg

After the difficult Fagnes section, you get to the mid-size Stavelot, after which comes a run down to the truly awesome but scary Blanchimont, a corner of enormous speed, before you hit the brakes HARD and arrive at the slow Bus Stop chicane, and after that, you have just the home straight left and the end of the 4.37 mile masterpiece.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps-1.jpg

No one should ever deny Spa its sheer excellence. I like the course a lot, although it's not a favourite of mine. It's great for endurances, even despite the lack of time change. But at least there is the weather change...something Spa would never be complete without.

And now to finish Belgium, we come to something that is actually in Germany but is also in Belgium. Let's say...I dunno, half the course is in one country, and the other's in the second country...

EifelCircuit_8-1.jpg

But wait. We have a GT style race arising here at the Eifel Circuit. What could be in store for us here?

EifelCircuit_7-1.jpg

Our camera is so smart it actually genuinely placed a bet for something...it went for this Citroen GT, starting in 12th. A bit of a longshot...

EifelCircuit_6-1.jpg

So this is the Eifel Circuit theme of course, and it is a very popular type, mainly because it is the only theme that does any kind of genuine 'circuit' of any sort. Me though...I think you can do better.

EifelCircuit_5-1.jpg

Unlike Toscana, Liege or Alaska, Eifel lacks the ability to get any really big numbers in terms of stats. Sometimes you end up with a lot of elevation, but that never really matters too much. Thing is though, 6 mile tracks are quite rare on this theme, as are big numbers of corners. The main selling points tend to be the tracks themselves.

EifelCircuit_4-1.jpg

The theme's courses tend to be superbly variable. I also think that putting the width on -5 makes the tracks look super cool...give it a try. It also has the benefit of being the only course to get rain naturally (as it would being part Belgian), though it has been seen you can get wet weather manipulated onto Toscana and Liege. Alaska has snow instead.

EifelCircuit_3-1.jpg

But really, Eifel's inability to get crazy numbers in terms of stats kinda hurts it. You can get some awesome jump tracks on it, and there is one infamous one here which is to my knowledge the most popular of all the created tracks here.

EifelCircuit_2-1.jpg

However, the easy ability to get a great genuine course makes this a very popular choice for online series with created tracks in them. Usually, the only other track type that gets a look-in is Toscana and maybe the Eifel Kart theme, although Toscana gets used hugely for making touge tracks and their series.

EifelCircuit_1-1.jpg

You'll also note that the wiper is up on the Citroen, which means it is definitely raining now. Only in Belgium...

EifelCircuit-1.jpg

But anyway, that's about it for Eifel Circuit and Belgium. The camera now crosses to Germany, where it shall wait for us, but what about myself?

Bern-Marktgasse_1.jpg

Well, I was in Switzerland, or its capital Bern to be precise. I wonder if you can get one of these trams down from Croydon to Beckenham...

Bern-Marktgasse.jpg

But anyway, here we have an Alfa Romeo 8C: the car used in the first test of the Grand Tour, known for some stupidly high difficulty, and of course, where you see the event be started. Also notice obligatory dog on the side and on the other side women on phone who can actually get you a trophy in this game. :eek:

This is where the home of my main character in my fanfic, Grand PriX, is. When he comes back remains to be seen...

But we now move on to Eiger, and the Alps. Where we have...

EigerNordwandShortTrack_3.jpg

...an Evo X attacking the Short Track. And also floating in mid-air apparently, cool stuff. Jackie Chan should have gotten his Evo IV to do that at some point.

EigerNordwandShortTrack_2.jpg

Welcome to Eiger Nordwand Short Track, which I find to be a superb addition to the game. This is as close as one gets to a tarmac rally stage in this game, with the short version. It's incredibly tight and twisty, yet it's still pretty short. It even has Change Weather, and it was introduced not in GT5:P but in GTHD where it did look sorta different to what it does now it must be said.

EigerNordwandShortTrack_1-2.jpg

This would be a track certainly suited to time attacks or rally tournaments, and I find it to be an awesome track for basic shuffle racing too. It's a wonderful course for slightly less-powerful cars, but nothing too OTT OK? I also believe it to be a great course for drifting on as well: there's another positive about it.

EigerNordwandShortTrack-3.jpg

But now, as this Evo X heads towards the K Trail...

EigerNordwandKTrail_6.jpg

...it becomes an Escudo!

EigerNordwandKTrail_5.jpg

This is the dirt section of the Eiger complex, and it is wonderful. Not seen anywhere but this game thus far, this is pretty much the closest you will ever get to a Pikes Peak like course in this game, hence why I chose the Escudo. Just shorter, and it goes downhill. But if you lap the course 3 times that will roughly equate to the length of Pikes Peak, so there you go.

EigerNordwandKTrail_4.jpg

This track is hugely treacherous. Plenty of turns everywhere, and surprises over the place, including an incredibly hard downhill section that is remarkably hard to get through without damage. Of course, you have the excellent backdrop of the Alps with you as you drive along.

EigerNordwandKTrail_3.jpg

The complex also has two shorter, less killer alternatives: the G Trail, which is somewhere about 2 miles but still takes time to get around, and the sub-1 mile W Trail, which is short but still testing and pretty long for its length.

EigerNordwandKTrail_2.jpg

I prefer this considerably over the other gravel option, Toscana. I also find this to be better than most Liege courses, since this is a more authentic option. This is generally my favourite off-road course in the game, and nearly rivals the Swiss Alps in terms of my favourite of all time. This track is in many ways the 'sequel' to the scrapped Tahiti Maze of the previous GTs, and it does that very well.

EigerNordwandKTrail_1.jpg

All 3 of the track forms work very well for rally tournaments, obviously, but as aforementioned the K Trail is a track I believe to be a very good candidate for a Pikes Peak style race. I myself am planning to hold one soon enough. Watch this space...

EigerNordwandKTrail.jpg

That pretty much covers it for Eiger Nordwand. One superb Short Track, followed up by one superb K Trail. Perhaps the most underrated track in the game? Who knows.

And so, we move onto our final stop tour before we head to Germany.

Lucerne-ChapelBridge_1.jpg

We're in Lucerne, and this is a man who looks kinda like some Finnish rally driver. We talked to him and he claimed the area was "good" and "nice". We asked him to show his car, and he simply said to us "Yes".

Lucerne-ChapelBridge.jpg

This is his Clio. Kinda like the one in my fanfic, except not modified. I asked him if he had taken inspiration from the man who owned the Clio, to which he replied "Yes".

So with that, Belgium and Switzerland are done and we now head to the land of Germany.

Up next:
its-the-luftwaffle.gif

Typos.

with a slice of German pilots​

The REAL
Grand Tour: Germany

Hello and welcome back to The REAL Grand Tour. This week, we head to Germany, which will be easy because I study German.

We begin with Deep Forest Raceway.

091024_hitler_682__915137a.jpg
"OK, so we planned to lock down Deep Forest Raceway and prevent anyone from getting inside it and prevent all attack against the race track."
"Good. How did the plan go?"
".....................................................My Fuhrer..........................."
"C-ZETA and his review team got there before we could begin operation."
"........................................*removes glasses sloooooowly*...........Anyone in this room who has not played on Deep Forest in any Gran Turismo game..............leave now"

DeepForestRaceway_6.jpg

So it's Deep Forest, and it's time attack time!!! HKS gave us their Silvia to take round the course for some time. Yes it's not a time attacker but judging by the looks...you'd not blame me for using it like this. (On a side note, NOB forever)

DeepForestRaceway_5.jpg

Deep Forest is another track from the original game, and it is another top class one. Slightly shorter than Trial Mountain, Grand Valley and SSR5, but still a very tough and complex track that has earned its rights as a track here.

DeepForestRaceway_4.jpg

After the first straight (which I nearly hit the limiter on in this HKS, swear to god gonna kill the man who built the transmission for this thing), you get that first, long hairpin. Then after that, many twisty corners in quick succession, all surrounded deeply by trees.

DeepForestRaceway_3.jpg

Then when the track opens up, you have a fast section complete with tunnel, after which you have one hard kink followed by another to complete the course once you're down that last straight.

DeepForestRaceway_2-2.jpg

Deep Forest is usable in just about any single type of series. Usually stuff like Super GTs will break 1:20 on the course, so it is pretty much perfect for anything lower than that. It's also useful as a last, most challenging course for any lighter series.

DeepForestRaceway_1-3.jpg

I don't really like Deep Forest as much as most classics in the series though. I guess it might just be the setting, and I certainly don't dislike it at all, just that GVS, SSR5, HSR, Autumn Ring, Trial Mountain...they all do it better for me. It was a big challenge on GT1 with the factor of one mistake equalling a bad loss of time, and I guess that's why I don't quite part with it as much as the other originals.

DeepForestRaceway-2.jpg

But we're now done here pretty much, and with that, I can tell you this did about 1:28 around here on the stock CS tyres it was on. That's actually slower than a full modded 1200 I took around on RS...and that was still pretty much rolling over. Goes to show the badness of this car in general.

Now though, before we head to the Nurburgring, we have to stop in the main city of Ahrweiler.

AhrweilerGate_3.jpg

This BMW 135i is at the gate to the main streets. No, this is not the car I was using.

AhrweilerGate_2.jpg

This Golf GTI also happened to be happily speeding by me constantly. This is incredibly hard to capture.

AhrweilerGate_1.jpg

But the main thing here...is a BMW M3 Coupe Chrome Line!

AhrweilerGate.jpg

However, if you look inside the gate, you see more...(taken on the Gate section, FYI...)

Ahrweiler-Street.jpg

You see this C63 AMG.

Ahrweiler-TownSquare.jpg

And then as you move into the Town Square, you find a Scirocco R sitting there.

Then rain starts falling down from over at Eifel, I presume...

Ahrweiler-Winter.jpg

And here we have a Golf R.

We duly took this and went over to the Nurburgring the next day.

NrburgringNordschleife_11.jpg

And there we were, ready to lap the Nurburgring in this nearly GT tuned Mercedes SLS AMG...all in black, and still looking like it has many luxuries onboard it. Hmm.

NrburgringNordschleife_10.jpg

This is the Nurburgring, the longest track in the game overall, with the longest variant coming in at 15+ miles. I don't quite know how I'm gonna be able to fit a full description in, so I'll just talk about major points.

NrburgringNordschleife_9.jpg

First, I'll talk about Schwedenkreuz. This is the second-to-last corner of the first truly fast bit of the track. This. Corner. Sucks. It's a kink, but at the speed you feel like you should take it at, it has no line. If you go in at 1mph too high, too late - you're gonna hit that barrier and screw up at Aremburg. That means you have to slow down way too slow for it, and even then it feels uncomfortable. Aremburg itself does not feel comfortable for me.

Other corners suffer from similar problems, like Kallenhard and Galgenkopf, who's lines change with the point you are at, it seems. But the rest of the track makes up for it.

NrburgringNordschleife_8.jpg

The two Karussells - epic. Dottinger Hohe, and the run down to the last section - epic. The section after Bergwerk - epic. Pflanzgarten section - epic. 12-mile length - epic. 24 hour race (coming up very soon it must be said) - epic. Get the idea?

NrburgringNordschleife_7.jpg

The Ring really seems to be a superb course overall in every aspect, yet for me, I've driven enough times for me to feel it isn't that challenging. Certainly, it is very hard to get a lap in which stays valid under GTs silly system, but I'm quite well knowledged of the track myself - I know a good lot of the whole 12 miles.

NrburgringNordschleife_6-1.jpg

There is of course the GP section which is not being driven in this Tour but should still be mentioned. It's also a good course, with good diversity, although it is slightly lengthy for an F1-suited course. The GP/D version can bypass that, and said version also forms a section of the great 4h race, which features some great tuners, and some really fast challengers.

NrburgringNordschleife_4-1.jpg

But for now let's concentrate on getting this SLS to the end.

NrburgringNordschleife_12.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_2-2.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_1-1.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife-1.jpg

My final laptime was I believe a 6:53.6, which is OK given I was going from a standing start.

That's all there is to Germany though. But before we go to Italy for our next part, we're taking a quick tour to Austria and the Red Bull Hangar-7.

RedBullHangar-7_3.jpg

Pfft, this building is almost as perfect aesthetically as Red Bull's cars. Which means it might well be a bit boring sadly.

RedBullHangar-7_2-1.jpg

This plane shows up on the runway every now and then to provide outside SFX.

RedBullHangar-7_1-1.jpg

And...hello. Pink LFA here...seems like we've got one fit driver in the house here.

RedBullHangar-7-3.jpg

I also saw this inside the Hangar-7, I mean, I have no idea what it is, it certainly doesn't exist in real life, surely it can't be a Red Bull X2010? No. :eek:

So that's that brief trip done and now we go to Italy, where much passion and reliability problems are promised.

Up next:
MarioSMBW.png

Welcome to Mario Kart!

Uhm, you realize the HKS Slivia is a drift car, right? That's why it has such short gearing and CS tires.

Great write up. Oh yeah did you bring back any fruit filled strudels(sp?) and other cool treats from Germany? :)

Can't wait to hear about the travels in the boot shaped country.

The REAL
Grand Tour: Italy

Ciao e bienvenido...wait no that's not right.

Hello and welcome back to The REAL Grand Tour, or for the purposes of translation, The REAL 'Great Tourism', because you know what that means in Italian? 'Gran Turismo'.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_2-5.jpg

We join you at Monza, where either Fernando Alonso is driving his bery good Ferrari towards the first chicken, or Felipe Massa is losing. Regardless, it's the Ferrari F10. I could have made an obligatory ice cream joke about Raikkonen if I used the F2007, but I chose the not as good version instead. Sorry all.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_1-5.jpg

So this is Monza. A track renowned for being very, very fast. And it certainly is. There are no less than 4 fast long straights here, with 3 chicanes, two mid-size corners and one big long sweeper.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza-5.jpg

After that first straight, you come to the hardest of all the chicanes and the first corner. After that you have the super speedy Curva Grande, leading to the second chicane, followed by the two Lesmos, pretty much the only two corners you have not before some huge straight.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_6-2.jpg

Then you get the third straight which goes down to the loosest and fastest of the chicanes, Ascari. After that, the back straight, going down to the Parabolica, which is actually a bunch of lies. F1 drivers say it's one of the fastest corners around...it is not. It's actually somewhat slow and also very annoying too. So I suggest you ignore any advice they give you for the corner.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_7-1.jpg

And then after that, just the final straight awaits you.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_8-1.jpg

Monza tends to be a very odd track, as it has a long length, but seems to fly by in some cars. Yet, it seems to take absolute ages in others. Usually it gets most sensibly used in the fastest tracks, and it also tends to be quite unique among tracks as speed truly matters a lot more than just cornering. This tends to be the track where the AI is the least tolerant to lightweights that are underpowered...as I've found in my Alfa Giulia TZ2 before. By contrast, anything normally terrible at cornering will have plenty of respite here with their ton of extra power.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_9-1.jpg

So that covers Monza, but we're far from done with Italy just yet.

Toscana.jpg

We now move to the fields of Toscana and we have Mikko Hirvonen driving around, probably beating everyone except Loeb because he dictates WRC.

Toscana_1.jpg

Toscana is the last of the off-road tracks in this game and the only one without a separate track form, but it is the only off-road track with time change. However, it's probably overall the weakest track in the game. Indeed, so little people seem to care about it that in the Heal Track Hurt Track game it was the last track left after everything else was dead or alive.

Toscana_2.jpg

The track itself is a good deal easier than the other two off-road tracks. It's ~2.2 miles, but it seems to take less time than other different off-road tracks of similar length. In general though, it's just not a very notable track.

It is certainly very good for rally championships, obviously. Usually though, it doesn't quite seem to mix in with other rally courses. Indeed, I feel it often tends to be a track left for special bonus races or something. Eiger Nordwand G Trail does a similar job, but it does it better, I find. The lack of extra forms doesn't do it much good sadly.

Toscana_3.jpg

Toscana itself is not finished though. Because we now go to...

ToscanaTarmac-2.jpg

...solid ground! Aw yeah.

ToscanaTarmac_1-2.jpg

This is the Toscana Tarmac theme, and it is another very good theme. This one is probably my favourite of the lot.

ToscanaTarmac_2-2.jpg

This theme tends to be just behind Eifel Circuit in popularity, and with good reason. This is a very good theme for making basic road circuits, and with the option for pure sunset you can get some good beauty spots on the tracks too.

ToscanaTarmac_3-1.jpg

Toscana seems to be able to mix high stats the most out of all the themes. As I said previously, you can manipulate the different tracks into 7-mile wonders, but you can also get courses with huge tons of corners. Generally, this theme gets used a lot for touge courses.

ToscanaTarmac_4.jpg

So that's Toscana, and Mikko Hirvonen, done. Now though, we take a short break from the racing to cruise around the old cities of Italy.

SanGimignano-TownSquare.jpg

This is San Gimignano, and there's a big crowd here of pretty poor res people. What could they have spotted?

SanGimignano-TownSquare_1.jpg

Why, it's an Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2! Gotta love these things.

We took this thing into our own hands, where we drove it to Siena to see if we would get the same response.

Siena-PiazzadelCampo-1.jpg

Siena has one ridiculously tall tower here.

FACT: This is NOT the tallest building that has appeared in a Gran Turismo game. GT4 featured the George V Paris and Opera Paris courses, which in turn featured the Eiffel Tower. That is the tallest building in a GT game.

But does the Alfa get the reaction it did previously?

Siena-PiazzadelCampo_1-1.jpg

Judging by the crowd in the background...yes.

Also, a note: this setting here was intended to get a small kart track, and there is still footage of said course around here. However the local government intervened upon sight of flags that PD had not been licensed to use. The flag designs were promptly removed, but the course was never to be seen again. The closest we've had in terms of a general track since is Kart Space, but that is like the complete opposite in setting, so yeah...

To finish our cruising of the cities, we went to San Galgano Abbey.

SanGalganoAbbey-2.jpg

Which is home to this pigeon.

SanGalganoAbbey_1-1.jpg

And these pillars.

FACT: These pillars might be slightly taller than the tower seen at Piazza del Campo.

But sitting in the middle of the abbey, we found this sacred, holy thing left behind...

SanGalganoAbbey_2.jpg

Cool.

Rome-6.jpg

Our last stop in Italy is the capital, Rome, and not only is the city stuck in a previous time period, the cars are as well!

Rome_1-3.jpg

We enrolled in this bronze Jaguar E-Type Coupe for this occasion. Rolls a lot, I must say. Is also very underpowered in this particular event.

Rome_2-3.jpg

Rome Circuit is back for GT5, and in a completely new form. The only section retained from the original Rome Circuit is the corner around the Colosseum, because, really, why wouldn't you have it?

images

The white section of this map is the 'Night' version from GT2, which was the most complex of all the tracks thus far, but probably the least infamous. The original is the yellow section, the one from GT2/3, and I'm sure enough people still want it back. The Short course of GT2 cuts out the section around the Colosseum. The blue section is the current version.

Rome_3-2.jpg

Generally, GT5 did a good job with this 'new Rome' I feel. It certainly has its fair share of turns, although it's not exactly that long. This makes it a nice candidate for around about 300hp level race series, give or take a few hp.

Rome_4-2.jpg

Rome actually had its own endurance in GT2 and 3, the 2 hour Colosseo endurance. This was notable for being the first timed race in GTs history, as no other race followed a certain time schedule up to that point. Everything else was distanced. Of course the concept has been introduced further into the series since then.

Rome_5-1.jpg

The first corner of the track goes around the great Colosseum itself, obviously. Then you have another quick turn, slightly shorter, which leads to a sharper one that hooks right to a long straight.

Rome_6-1.jpg

Then you have a twisting section going around the place, culminating in the final corner leading you back to the straight to do the time warp all over again.

Rome_7-1.jpg

Rome is probably my favourite European city course, although note I didn't say just 'favourite'. Said favourite city course is way over in another part of the world, but Rome is certainly a good track. The new version is certainly a top track, but I wanna see the old versions back. The Night track is particularly impressive, and besides which: if you can do a Rome race at night, why not bring in a time change?

Rome_8-1.jpg

I digress though. This is still more than good enough and inherits plenty of the original Rome course, despite overall more easiness.

Rome_9-1.jpg

Rome_10-1.jpg

So Rome is done, and so is Italy itself. Now then...where do we go from here?

Well, there's still some unfinished business to take care of. We have two more locations to go to before we are done, and then we are finished for good. So...till then.

Up next:

Sounds...

paella468.jpg

Paella and...

guess_who02092011.jpg

...The Final Boss.

The REAL
Grand Tour: Monaco/Spain

Hello and welcome back to The REAL Grand Tour. We're in the home stretch, seeing as we only have two more circuits to visit now. Let's see how the last two get on.

CtedAzur-2.jpg

We begin at Cote d'Azur, home of the only bling not belonging to chavs. Except Hong Kong. They've got a ton of luxuries there too. On two counts. Too bad a) the track from GT4 was omitted from this game and b) therefore, we can't visit there.

We have been given a Murcielago LP640 to accompany you around here, so sit back and enjoy.

CtedAzur_1.jpg

Note: despite the track, this is technically not the Monaco track. Licensing issues prevent the true track from being used, as you can see from corners being different to the real life counterparts. It is merely a replica of the circuit under a different name, similar to what some PC sims do, like the rising star Project CARS.

CtedAzur_2.jpg

But anyway, this is Cote d'Azur, and it was in fact the second 'real life' track to appear in a GT game, behind Laguna Seca which was introduced in GT2 one installment before this came in 3.

CtedAzur_3.jpg

The course itself is a one of huge fame: known for being ridiculously tough on anything that takes to it. Walls surround you everywhere, as do a constant number of corners. Monaco is far different to any other F1 track on the calendar for more reasons than I can even list.

CtedAzur_4.jpg

To kick off, you have the tight San Devote corner, a slow kink, leading up to a fast section going to the twisty Casino Square section, where the course gets to miniscule width coming up to Mirabeau and the super-tight, super-slow Loews/Grand Hotel hairpin.

CtedAzur_5.jpg

Following that you have Portier, and then you head into that big, curvy, dark tunnel (no innuendo intended...), leading to a sharp braking zone, the Nouvelle Chicane.

CtedAzur_6.jpg

The final section consists of the twisting Swimming Pool section, and then the tough and slow final section, to where the end of this mental marathon lies.

Cote d'Azur is a lot longer than its mileage would suggest, but it seems to take longer than expected in slower machines despite the general corner emphasis. Still, it's a good track for just about any series, and a very testing one at that, even despite passes being few and far between on such a course.

So with that short stop to Monaco done, we'll go across the sea again and get ourselves to sunny Spain.

CircuitodeMadrid-2.jpg

And we're here, in Madrid, the last course we shall be covering on this tour. To keep you company, we have a Zonda R to take you around this course. An R8 LMS could have been suitable for how it breaks the Remote Race on this course, but we did that already...

CircuitodeMadrid_1-1.jpg

This is the newest city course to the GT table, as everything else had been effectively seen as a type of setting before at the least before this game. It's Circuito de Madrid, and it should be noted I've actually been to Madrid IRL before on a school trip. T'was a great trip. Though not one part of the course here is on a part of the city I remember. :boggled:

CircuitodeMadrid_2.jpg

This course in general seems to be somewhat OK, though not the best. It has a mini version of the course and seems to take cues from the last game's Paris courses, what with the looping corner and everything.

CircuitodeMadrid_3-1.jpg

The mini version of the course thankfully makes this a pretty variable setting, as the full version generally is a course that genuinely any type of series can have in it - GT even used it for the GT World Championship in the main game - while the Mini circuit makes for some great sprint races in lesser cups and in shuffle races.

CircuitodeMadrid_4.jpg

The full course itself is a good mix of corners, but said corners all put together seems to just feel a bit odd for me on occasion. The first hairpin is a hugely complex affair, but the twisty section afterwards doesn't seem to be a great section for me. It's almost like Istanbul's Turn 8 with a chicane in the middle, and that particular corner is an incredibly hard one.

CircuitodeMadrid_5.jpg

The course certainly gets better after that though, with the two corners following, though the second one is ridiculously hard to avoid the wall on. Then you have that big loop around that big Puerta de Alcala, then that tough last chicane that can be so hard to get right at times.

CircuitodeMadrid_6.jpg

Madrid overall is not a bad addition to the game at all: just not a perfect addition. That section after the first corner doesn't really need to be there at all, but the Mini section is fine. The fact this comes in two forms is awesome for race series, and Spain's representation in this game is certainly very good.

And with that, we are done with The REAL Grand Tour. All that remains now is to just fly back where we started from: Trial Mountain.

123_9701.jpg

Wait a minute. You're saying we have one more drive to do? And look, we actually have competition this time. And we're going the other way this time. I guess we must finish where we started...let's go, Del Sol!

123_9703.jpg

...Oh, 🤬 you, Impreza Rally Edition! 🤬

123_9704.jpg

And already we are going two wheeling. Jeez, I wonder if this is actually just two CBRs stuck together?

123_9716.jpg

And before we can even get ground we are on the grass.

123_9717.jpg

Luckily, I am AI assisted back into life and into 4th place.

123_9705.jpg

Of course, within seconds, we are into 2nd again.

123_9706.jpg

Aha, here is the culprit! In case you're wondering, this particular US vs Japan event gets its AI competition mainly split to this Impreza Rally Edition here...and no, it is not the usual 300hp - this has 560hp and weighs about 900kg, while having 4WD! Thankfully, it is limited to 160mph to start. :lol: Also, to clarify, one mistake in any non enduro on GT1 tends to equal a loss.

123_9707.jpg

Within seconds, the Impreza sort of just...goes wide, and leaves me a free ticket back into 1st.

123_9709.jpg

Jesus Christ, now it isn't even touching the ground at all. I feel Mark Webber will find some use for this after his retirement.

123_9710.jpg

By the way, if you aren't sold by GT1 or the CR-X del sol LM by the end of this, then you should not be playing a GT game.

123_9711.jpg

Final lap of the tour!

123_9712.jpg

Still sliding a lot under braking as well a lot obviously.

123_9713.jpg

But then I take it one step too far...and I'm going round.

123_9719.jpg

I regain myself...and the Impreza is past. I ignore the big lag from no rev-acceleration from the CR-X and go straight for it...

123_9714.jpg

This is not ending on a whimper! Come on!

123_9720.jpg

I will not be beaten by a bloody Impreza!

123_9721.jpg

Ohh...man. So close.

In fact, the final margin I lost by was 0.075 seconds. Close enough to end this tour on an epic note, so...

...that's about it! We've covered all of Europe in this tour, and it's been fun! I hope you enjoyed this, I know I'm proud with how this has all gone. Thank you for reading, good night!

Touring Cars! 15 laps and no contact. Mmmm'kay?

TsukubaCircuit-6.jpg
TsukubaCircuit_6-4.jpg
TsukubaCircuit_9-3.jpg

Welcome to Tsukuba, home territory of the Mazda MX-5 and/or the most used track in the whole of GT5. But this is not the time for racing Mazda MX-5s...

...except one of the cars we're testing is one. Oh. :guilty:

This is a three way comparo between the three slowest Touring Cars that were introduced into the GT5 Car Pack 1 DLC - the Honda CR-Z Touring Car, Mazda Roadster Touring Car and Toyota Prius Touring Car. If you remember, all of these cars won an award in my 2011 awards show, so they're all obviously very excellent. They are also all incredibly similar ways, and so this should be a very close test.

However, we're gonna throw an extra spanner in the works that should get these things to work just a little bit harder.

TsukubaCircuit_3-4.jpg

This is the Honda Gathers Drider Civic Race Car '98, which was introduced into GT4 as a car designed to be a lightweight, light-powered FF car that provided a good drive. Unfortunately, in the hands of the AI, against cars of similar caliber, it was a disaster in GT4. This thing never saw the end of the 6th place finish in the hands of AI, pretty much anywhere. But it is, theoretically very similar to this terrifying trio, and so therefore it shall be added into this equation to make this a Fantastic Four.

So then, the stage is set. But which of these 4 is best?

There's only one way to find out...

HHfight.jpg

Judging by the stats, details and previous experiences of these four, we can see some pros and cons of them.

CR-Z:
Pros:
- Great handling
- 2nd most powerful
- 2nd lightest and lightest FF
- Looks superb

Cons:
- Battery runs out very quickly
- Sounds like someone farting

Civic:
Pros:
- Sounds like the end of the world
- Still looks alright today

Cons:
- Least powerful
- Not as light as CR-Z
- Bad reputation
- Standard

Roadster:
Pros:
- Sounds like a CT230R
- Looks very good even without the roof
- Most powerful, lightest AND FR

Cons:
- Not an NC like I would expect
- Not the best handling
- It's an NA: therefore the Cars in General forum is all over it
- Technically the oldest body
- 5-speed tranny

Prius:
Pros:
- CVT, torque is always there and no shifting necessary
- Looks hilarious
- Sounds like...nothing I can really think of

Cons:
- Only car over 1000kg, least powerful Premium
- It's a Prius
- Not great handling
- No ability off the line

So then, doesn't look like there's a true winner here yet. Let's take them around Tsukuba individually then to find out who is the winner. 3 laps each, best lap is the one that counts, best lap of them all wins. Let's GOOOOOOOO :eek:

TsukubaCircuit_1-4.jpg

Let's begin with the CR-Z.

TsukubaCircuit_2-6.jpg

This managed a 1:01.9, which I think it just managed on its last lap. The handling did not seem as great as I remember it though on Tsukuba. It certainly felt more than fast enough though. The battery didn't wear out here thankfully, there are more than enough braking zones to facilitate this thing's battery around here.

TsukubaCircuit_4-5.jpg

Next came the old Gathers Drider Civic Race Car.

TsukubaCircuit_5-4.jpg

This was decidedly less fast and lived up to its reputation of being pretty slow, sadly. The time this ended up doing was a 1:03.4, 1.5 seconds down on the CR-Z. This thing certainly felt fast though, and took corners very well. I guess there is just simply a problem with actual acceleration and the speed it gets around corners. The AI of GT4 was right: sadly, this is a bit of a dud. Still, look out for it in spec series or maybe even a series using these three cars in addition - with a little modifying up, of course!

TsukubaCircuit_7-2.jpg

Next came the Roadster. The stats did rather seem to be stacked in this thing's favor...

TsukubaCircuit_8-3.jpg

...and it really showed. On its home ground, this managed a 1:01.2, 7 tenths up on the CR-Z. This thing definitely handled a lot better than I remember and better than the CR-Z - probably because of the track - but to be fair, the lighter weight and FR help this thing a good deal. It certainly looks like this will be the fastest at this rate...

TsukubaCircuit_10-3.jpg

And this is all that could stop it. I'm not overly hopeful.

TsukubaCircuit_11-3.jpg

With 1 lap to go, the Prius was sitting at 1:01.5, still 3 tenths behind the Roadster. However, it gave it everything for its last lap, being able to pull off a 1:01.1 with its last go to deny the Roadster by 1 tenth. Thing is though...how could the heaviest, more than likely worst to drive, and something barely more powerful than the Civic...beat it?

The answer is simple: its transmission. The CVT, when it gets to full swing makes all the difference in the end. The benefit of constant torque, effectively infinite top speed and no shifting seems to help this thing in between the twisty bits a lot. And that's good, because that's where you spend most of your time on tracks. Of course, getting off the line is an issue because you can't rev it and there you have no torque, and it does indeed have some problems getting around corners, but the technology it still has here gives it the edge in the end.

I also went out and tested the four cars on SSRX for Speed Test times. This is what happened.

0-60:
1. Roadster - 4.939
2. CR-Z - 5.189
3. Civic - 5.823
4. Prius - 6.018

0-100:
1. Roadster - 12.338
2. CR-Z - 12.374
3. Prius - 12.753
4. Civic - 14.855

1/4 mile:
1. Roadster - 13.648
2. CR-Z - 13.765
3. Prius - 14.483
4. Civic - 14.541

1 mile:
1. Roadster - 34.490
2. Prius - 34.894
3. CR-Z - 35.019
4. Civic - 36.629

Max Speed:
1. Roadster - 153.4mph
2. Prius - 150.2mph
3. Civic - 148.6mph
4. CR-Z - 147.7mph

Max G-Force:
1. Roadster - 0.82G
2. Prius - 0.65G
3. CR-Z - 0.64G
4. Civic - 0.62G

Now, I know that looks like a foregone conclusion and would imply the Roadster is easily the best. But if you look closer, you'll see that actually, this pairing are pretty close. Yes, the Civic is obviously way out in some cases but then it beats a couple of cars in some cases as well. And with tuning up, that gets to a higher level anyway.

The Roadster obviously has the benefit of leading both stats and having FR, therefore utterly destroying the 0-60 times. 0-100 though was far closer - the 5-speed might have come into play here, with having longer ratios and everything. The 1/4 mile was much the same, but as you can see, 1st and 2nd as well as 3rd and 4th are all pretty close, which is a relief.

The Prius overtakes the CR-Z by the end of the mile, although I can't imagine the CR-Z having already run out of battery by this point...maybe so, I dunno.

In Max Speed the Roadster obviously wins by virtue of its power, whereas the Prius has enough torque to keep it going. The CR-Z was out of battery for much of the straight, which cost it a lot of power and speed. Indeed, these 4 did seem to be pretty close among all these tables. I'd love to get an online lobby together with all of you lot with a big comparison between these 4 to see how it would go there. I'd certainly hope you'd take such an opportunity to do so.

The truth is though, all 4 of these cars are all great.

The CR-Z looks great and on some courses can really handle. I guess the idea of varying surfaces on tarmac hurt it on Tsukuba, but I've gotten it to handle better in the past. I'd be keen to see an MR model with 560hp - it's already got the weight.

The Roadster is a very fast car in general, and sounds great, handles well, and just does a lot of things in general. I say this despite not being a regular visitor of the Cars in General forum too, which is quite unbelievable. I see it as a 'Japanese Giulia TZ2' candidate for sure.

The Civic might not be that fast, but it has soul to cover up the slowness. The sound is remarkable - if you don't mind getting your ears scratched anyway - and it's still a nice drive. I'd certainly pick one up - if you don't find one, just get a Civic RM!

The Prius is just brilliant. Hilarious looks, including a comical set of wheel covers, it keeps its CVT, it looks like a NASCAR inside, and it is the fastest on a track by the looks of things. It's not without faults for sure, but I'd call it a great car any day of the week.

So that concludes this comparo between these 4 cars. I would love to see a series involving these four - just modify the Civic up, perhaps downgrade the Roadster slightly with the acceleration, turn the CR-Z up a little, and you have a great 4-way series. Someone take the idea up, now!

My general ranking of the various GT games
Just to give people an idea.

So anyway, I thought I'd just post this up here. This is a thread describing my thoughts on each of the 5 Gran Turismo games thus far, in reverse rank order, and why I believe them to be as such. Here we go.

Gran Turismo 3

250px-Gran_Turismo_3.jpg

CONTROVERSY TIME OMG

Yeah, GT3, which is the best selling game in the series, and generally considered one of the two candidates for overall community best, is my least favourite. Here's why.

There is a slight problem to this though. That problem is, not playing the game while it was in its prime. The game, I can imagine, will have looked a lot better back then, but I was, like, 4 when this came out. So...uh...yeah. Might not be the truest opinion I could ever give.

But yeah, GT3 certainly isn't a bad game, don't get me wrong. Just not as good as the others.

The problems I have with it are quite big. Firstly, lack of cars. It was their first time on the PS2, yes, and of course there weren't any dupes, but the number makes one feel a little bit empty. The problem is, the career mode was too big for the number of cars. It all seemed to complex for the individual cars to handle.

There are plenty of positives to it though. This was the last game to stick by the traditional Arcade Mode system from the previous 2 games before GT4 moved onto a full cars affair. Also, the tuning levels were absolutely insane. For example, you could get 3000GTs to 1000hp+ in this game, something not even GT1 ever managed...

Another problem I rather have with this game is the way it just got rid of so many of the LMs from the last games. The FTO, Altezza and RX-7 all stayed, and the S2000 was introduced (before it was cut down insanely), but stuff like the 3000GTs, CR-X del sol, Cerbera...all gone. It just kinda feels a bit sad if you look at it.

So GT3 is certainly not a bad game by any means. Just it doesn't do it quite as much as the others. So let's move on now.

Gran Turismo 5

GT5-boxart-final-EU.jpg

This is the only game I have gone and bought on launch day, ever. I have received presents on their launch days, but I went and got the Signature Edition for myself, all £100+ of it. Yet this is only #4. In some ways though, this is probably the most soulful of the lot, yet easily the most faulty - kind of like an Alfa Romeo among the series, I guess.

To be fair, you can find faults among a majority of the features in the game. Let me give you a short list of such problems: very mixed main game, bad online connection, bad online racing, slightly odd way of storing items, limited Premium selection, the limits of Standards, the overly high numbers of certain cars, no proper support for series, inconsistent DLC rates, inconsistent track editor, loophole filled PP system. Indeed, very short.

Yet, with all the hype of this previously, this seemed to become the most soulful of the games. Because there are certainly plenty of positives to the game as well. The environments certainly look very good, and the selection of cars is certainly still very wide, if not as noteworthy as Forza 4's selection. About that...

Forza 4 is better at doing the overall job of 'being a game' - and I say this, despite having played it at a friend's house and nowhere else. Even if you don't take into account DLC, the selection of cars you can get in Forza 4 is even wider. I'm not so sure about how many cars actually get added in per installment from the previous game though, since I checked the DLC list for Forza 3 and everything there was in Forza 4. Forza also looks a little blunter, but does have great support for tracks and a somewhat noteworthy Level system and Autovista.

I still find the games equal though. While Forza does the whole thing better, GT has the history behind it and behind its faults there's still plenty to keep you there. I'm perfectly neutral, and it's why I have these 3 opinions: 1) Forza-GT battles are just nasty 2) I hate people that will constantly point out faults of GT5 and 3) People who constantly defend GT5 to the death for reasons that don't exist are just being annoying. There you go, that's my thoughts on the whole Forza-GT thing, job done. Never have to speak about this again.

But yeah, GT5 is overall certainly a game that does live up to modern standards, despite faults that aren't quite being fixed by PD yet. Also, GT6 has NOT been announced. Stop asking about it, forum.

Gran Turismo 2

gt2logoentry.jpg

Now we get onto the truly good GT games. This is, I find, the other candidate for most loved GT game in the community, and with good reason.

GT2 was truly a very highly rated game, with many, many positives to it. First and foremost was the 600+ strong carlist, which was remarkable for PS1. Some of them did tend to be dupes of others, yes, and Mugen got a stupid amount of their tuned cars in the game. But whatever, it's still a good number.

The physics engine was a lot more realistic than GT1, if slower-paced. But then that signals a better physics engine...people say the graphics were much better than GT1 but I don't really see it. Time of first playing the games comes into the equation again unfortunately.

The career mode was also very long, and the game was even put onto 2 separate discs for Arcade and Simulation Mode...though there have been games with 4 discs before, I believe. :dunce:

However, despite the career mode's length, the main problem of the game lies within it. And that is how it actually works.

The main limiter for any car in this game is an hp limit. Apart from the NA/Turbo and drivetrain cups, there are no other limits. So while the championships were very varied, you could put something that goes against the laws of said championship in it. Licenses also varied for the different races. That was the main flaw of GT2 that prevented it being completely good. Yes you could just play normally, but the loopholes are still there for all to see.

The licenses were also dreadfully hard to gold and they hid some GT1 legends in the gold prize slot for said licenses. The CR-X del sol, FTO and 3000GT all suffered from this bug. Plus, with the new engine, they didn't quite feel the same as before. :indiff:

Apart from that though, GT2 was largely a pretty good game. It still isn't the best though, and there's 2 more games to come.

Gran Turismo 4

Gran_Turismo_4_Cover.jpg

So we now come to this. My first full GT game. It should be noted I sucked pretty hard at this originally, trying stunts such as attempting to beat the Pan Euro Championship in a Panda and beating the JGTC in a Nissan Bluebird. I also worked out the best grinding method was beating the Family Cup on Clubman Stage Route 5 Reverse in the 1979 Civic...which is one of only 2 cars you can buy not used from the start. It should be noted, I had no idea the UCD was even around at the start. :dunce: Eventually with the help of a corrupt memory card and copying data to another, I got way into it and that's how I came to being a GT fan.

GT4 features 730 cars in total, with the individual cars being put in a very similar style to GT2s, only with less tuners and Mugens and way more R34s (GT2 came out in the same year as the R34). However, the career mode, compared to even the last game, was HUGE.

Several divisions, many many tracks and 730 cars made for a great combo and great different combinations of events. Indeed, seems like a very good racing game.

The driving experience was also good too, with enough cars to keep you company. The physics engine also seems to be more 'hard-tuned' than GT5s nowadays, even though the engine there is certainly not a bad one either.

At this rate, you're gonna think this is a pretty flawless game. And it kinda is. But why is it not top? Well...there's just something that stops it.

Compared to the other games, GT4's general pace feels a bit too...slow.

Even the fastest cars don't feel as effective on speed as they should do, sans fitting RSS to them. The harder physics engine also creates understeer on many of these cars, and general tuning limits were taken down from GT3 as well. It just doesn't feel quite so...fun as it should. Bit unfortunate there.

So of course, that leaves just the one game we haven't mentioned till now, my personal favourite of the lot...even after being introduced before the rest of these and laying the ground for them. Amazing, innit?

Gran Turismo 1

Gran_Turismo_Cover.jpg

Let me give you a quick phrase as to why this game is still the best of the GTs. Feel free to put it in your signatures, everyone.

"It's not about having the most qualities...it's about having the least flaws."

That is why GT1 is my top game. Because that's what is. The least flawed. Or, dare I say it, completely flawless.

This started the whole trend, but it does some of the trends best. Yes, it doesn't even have 200 cars, yes, most of them are Japanese with just a handful of Americans and Brits and yes, there are just 11 different track variations. But those are just numbers. They don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. What matters is how the game is really like, and that's where GT1 takes it all.

It is probably the least realistic of the 5, but it was still good for a first try and it was only 1997. And yes, the graphics look old now but come on, look a little further back in time again. What this game is...is fun. A lot of it.

It made legends out of cars, and without it, none of the stuff you know today, you would know today. The Skylines, TVRs, Hondas, Subies and Mitsus...all of them would have been mere mistclouds without this.

And of course, PD even gave making their own cars out of others a shot. The near perfect FTO LM, the genuinely insane Concept Car, the similarly insane CR-X del sol LM, the super swift Cerbera, the big GTO LM...and they even went and added in other racers from real life too. The lethal Impreza Rally Edition is probably the most noteworthy of these.

The career mode was very simple. Just 3 licenses here, and less championships than the other games for certain. But you could make one of these just as long as the others. This is still the most difficult of the 5 by a long way - because one mistake, which was easy to make in tons of this game's cars, could lose you an entire championship. Even if you didn't mess up, the AI could still put up a challenge in equal cars.

That is pretty much all there is to say about GT1. To be honest, it'd be better if you just played it yourself, but Amazon is all you'll be able to find it on now really. By the way, I've seen copies of GT3 on there for 1p before, placed as Like New. Just a note there...

Thank you for reading, and hope you now have a gist of what my general thoughts on all the GT games are now. Certainly, you'll be able to get an impression when I mention the other games in my reviews. Thank you, good night!

RKM Coffee Car
Been a while since I did these lads, innit? Still, goes to show the diversity of the tuning world.

ToscanaTarmac_5-1.jpg

RKM Coffee Car
Stats

Power: 134bhp
Weight: 590kg
0-60: 6.440 seconds
0-100: 17.457 seconds
¼ mile: 15.134 seconds
1 mile: 38.594 seconds
Max Speed: 132.1mph
Max G-Force: 0.69G
Drivetrain: MR

I'm rather a secret fan of this Suzuki Cappuccino RM. I have owned 4 of these at once, and one of only two series I have successfully driven in on this website used this (the original Cappuccino Cup). You'd be interested to see what I think of this then.

RKM have been left behind by me for a while, and since then they've grown further since I last did one of their tunes. Of course, the whole tuning world has done likewise, which is why I've adapted to them as well. But here, we're back with them again.

ToscanaTarmac_6-1.jpg

So anyway, this Cappuccino...it's definitely pretty fun. I did have a previous experience with this same car where I tried to use it in a seasonal a long while back - the 450PP Japanese 90's seasonal event.

This has 475PP to start with though, so I had to limit it down. I reduced the aero to the minimum and ballasted it up to 450PP - anything this light loses PP from ballast FAST. Once I got to the Fuji Speedway event, I found myself in the lead quickly, then went in for some handbrake turns...and had more fun than I've had in most cars even now.

Obviously, Fuji has plenty of run-off to facilitate such turns, but we're not on Fuji. Also, this has a lot more aero and less ballast, obviously, so I have no idea if I can repeat such here.

ToscanaTarmac_7-1.jpg

It's not as easy here, but it can certainly still do light garnishes of it. That's always good.

However, at points where you simply can't do handbrake turns, this just...grips and goes. Simply put.

ToscanaTarmac_8-1.jpg

It's only on SS but the light power and very very light weight is taken to the best potential by RKM here. I was concentrating on doing handbrake turns a bit too much I guess to really feel it that often but...oh well. I certainly noticed it enough. 👍

ToscanaTarmac_9-1.jpg

RKM has done more than a good enough job with turning this Cappuccino into a superb drive. I actually haven't driven an RM stock, but I can imagine it being what most would expect it to be...slow. This really isn't. It's very very buzzy obviously, but perfectly driveable. I also have my own Cappuccino tune, which lacks the turbo this has and therefore only makes 100hp, but do give that a try as well please. Not to discount this thing at all though. 👍

ToscanaTarmac_10-1.jpg

Final Score: 14/20

*deep breath*

:-/ not like the vxr8¿ Dissapointed.

Indeed. The current VXR8 is a lot more powerful but this isn't really powerful enough.

DK
Hmm. I always thought Trial Mountain and Grand Valley were in Japan. Trial Mountain would be like Nissan's answer to Suzuka (Honda-owned) and Fuji (Toyota-owned).

Trial Mountain: Yeah, I know, but have you seen Scotland? Also, Loch Ness Monster...
Grand Valley: I guess I just dump it right in my hometown because it's my favourite. Also everything that I said is what I imagine something as awesome as GVS would have around it. Sorta like a 'Wembley' of race tracks but it doesn't get criticized for the thing itself being rubbish.

So. I start writing up my track review of my RTTT course and you beat me to it¡ Grrrr°

3ogf40.jpg

Mmmm. Cheese.
You may have discovered inspiration for my garages name ;)

Wait what? Cheese? France? ...Be- oh wait. Eau Rouge. Mmmkay.

A note that the 905 is amazingly good on tyres.

Cause it's super lightweight, I know.

I've got a liege track with 100 corners exactly. Exactly 100!

Alaska courses can get over 120. I think I have seen 130+ corners previously too...

Uhm, you realize the HKS Slivia is a drift car, right? That's why it has such short gearing and CS tires.

Yes, but the Blitz Skylines don't have short gearing. CS tires are just along for the ride but I can drift stuff on RS if they were powerful enough...

Oh yeah did you bring back any fruit filled strudels(sp?) and other cool treats from Germany? :)

I brought back a collection of the most hilarious translations of the Downfall scene.

What was the whole kimi ice cream nonsense anyway¿

2009 Malaysia. Race has been stopped, no one knows if the race was gonna be stopped yet but Kimi is so confident of it he gets out of his overalls and gets an ice cream. Theoretically it could have happened this year too.

What's your opinion of gt5 prologue¿

Well, it's GT5 with a bit less. And it's also a lot more slidey. And the online is jumpier. Menus feel a bit more calmer I guess though.

*whew* :scared:

Back