Cadillac CTS-V Plus

• Thread starter skip0110
  • 66 comments
Looks awesome. But whats with people always spying cars at the 'ring? My MOTOR mags always have pictures of cars that have been spied from the 'ring.

The359
So no one expects a 500hp Cadillac or BMW, but the BMW is magically welcomed while the Cadillac is not? Fault in logic #1. - Americans are quite predictable with their horsepower wars. I never said a 500hp caddy wasnt welcomed. It is predictable. It's an american way to get more buyers.

Over 75% of Cadillac's model lineup isn't even the CTS-V. Just the same as over 75% of the BMW model lineup isn't the M5. Fault in logic #2. - i was referring to the age of the buyers, not the sales of a particular model.

Tell that to Mario Andretti. Fault in logic #3. The kind of person in the market for a CTS-V or CTS-V Plus is not an old man with no experience. The CTS-V is meant for a younger crowd then that. Fault in logic #4. - Generally older people have more money, older people can therefore afford caddilacs more easily then younger people (generally). Thus, more buyers of caddilacs will be older.

Only old people can buy more car then they can handle? And only with a Cadillac? Fault in logic #5. -i never said that. You misconstrued the point i was trying to get across.

The CTS-V is a...DECKED OUT CTS *gasp* who knew?! That's not even a fault in logic, that's just stupid. - .........

Now how many young people do you know who can afford a $80,000 M5? Probably less young people then who can afford a $50,000 CTS-V. Fault in Logic #god only knows how many... - Im not even going to get started on this one...

👎

///M-Spec
The average age of a BMW 3-Series buyer is 42.
5-Series buyer is 48.
7-Series buyer is 55.
Audi owners: 44
Mercedes-Benz owner: 49.
Lexus? 51.
Porsche 911? 52.
The average age of a Cadillac CTS buyer? 50.

The CTS buyer is no more a geezer than a typical BMW buyer. I myself, at aged 31 am at the younger end of BMW's owner demographic.

This would be borderline funny if it weren't so obviously divorced from reality. I guess only a 16 year old would actually believe older people are more dangerous than younger people behind the wheel of performance cars.

Tell you what: You go ask your insurance agent how much it costs to insure a non-married 16 year old male who drives a... say... 2004 BMW M3. Then find out how much it costs to insure a married 50 year old driving the same car. Assume clean driver's records for both. Get back to me and we'll pick up from there.

M

My mom has been an insurance underwriter for 30 years. Its a proven statistic that elderly people and young males between the ages of 16 and 20 are at much higher risk of collision.Lack of experience for the young ones; and reduced reaction speed, sense of awareness, and a lower tendency to use "peripheral vision". Whats the entire cadillac buyer's age? (avg of course, not a single model- the entire lineup) Accoridng to Cooperators Insurance Co. its 56. Also, high horsepower numbers were needed just to get the cars moving in the 70's and 60's.

Ev0
Ever heard of this guy named Paul Newman? He would absolutely obliterate you at anything to do with motorsports, and he's in his late 70s.

@ ///M-Spec - I guarantee you in Ontario it would cost around $100,000 a year to insure a 16 year old male on a 2004 M3 (Rates for drivers of said age and gender are normally well over 100% of the vehicle's value). For a 50 year old driver, I'd guess anywhere between 5-10k.

My mom: "oh thats bull****. theres no such thing as a 100G insurance rate unless you have 55 sports cars. dont listen to that moron". Well she said it, not me. ...lol!

PublicSecrecy
Now how many young people do you know who can afford a $80,000 M5? Probably less young people then who can afford a $50,000 CTS-V. Fault in Logic #god only knows how many... - Im not even going to get started on this one...

My mom: "oh thats bull****. theres no such thing as a 100G insurance rate unless you have 55 sports cars. dont listen to that moron". Well she said it, not me. ...lol!

That's usually what people say when they know they're losing and don't have anything to say.

For the second part, your mom probably doesn't live in Canada.

ROAD_DOGG33J
That's usually what people say when they know they're losing and don't have anything to say.

Last time I was there she lived in the same house as him.......

ROAD_DOGG33J

Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Shes one of 40 who's responsible for who does and doesnt get insured for special member throughout canada.

PublicSecrecy
Its a proven statistic that elderly people and young males between the ages of 16 and 20 are at much higher risk of collision.

That's nice except 50 years is not eldery by anyone's definition and 50 year olds are the people who buy this car.

Whats the entire cadillac buyer's age? (avg of course, not a single model- the entire lineup) Accoridng to Cooperators Insurance Co. its 56.

The entire line-up's average is utterly irrelevant. The rest of the line-up does not contain 400-500 hp engines. The CTS-V PLUS (or whatever it is called) is the model we're talking about and the only one with a power/weight ratio that approaches a BMW M or Mercedes AMG car.

Also, high horsepower numbers were needed just to get the cars moving in the 70's and 60's.

So?

M

Quote:
Also, high horsepower numbers were needed just to get the cars moving in the 70's and 60's.

So?

Just pointing it out. Someone said something about cars in the 70's having a helluva lot of power and I just said that they were basically much heavier back then.

PSG
Regardless of the negative things said about this car, if this was one of those threads where everyone posts pictures of hot girls, I'd say "I'd hit it."

I nominate this for QUOTE of the Month, or Week or something. That's hilarious.

PublicSecrecy
Just pointing it out. Someone said something about cars in the 70's having a helluva lot of power and I just said that they were basically much heavier back then.

The CTS-V and M5 are midsize in North America. They both weigh over 1700kg. Unless you look to the fullsize cars of the time ('69 Eldorado, for example, was huge), there really isn't much of a weight difference between current cars and 35 year old ones. Cars nowadays on average are all grotesquely overweight. Hot hatches are 1300kg, sports cars rarely weigh in under 1400, etc.

So no one expects a 500hp Cadillac or BMW, but the BMW is magically welcomed while the Cadillac is not? Fault in logic #1.

Americans are quite predictable with their horsepower wars. I never said a 500hp caddy wasnt welcomed. It is predictable. It's an american way to get more buyers.

Obviously you haven't seen the German horsepower wars currently going on. Now I have to ask, since you're obviously clueless: What's BMW's reasoning for upping the new M5's horsepower by 100 over its previous generation? A way to get more buyers?

Over 75% of Cadillac's model lineup isn't even the CTS-V. Just the same as over 75% of the BMW model lineup isn't the M5. Fault in logic #2.

i was referring to the age of the buyers, not the sales of a particular model.

We're talking about the CTS, not Cadillac as a whole. Are you saying there aren't a lot of old people who buy BMWs?

Tell that to Mario Andretti. Fault in logic #3. The kind of person in the market for a CTS-V or CTS-V Plus is not an old man with no experience. The CTS-V is meant for a younger crowd then that. Fault in logic #4.

Generally older people have more money, older people can therefore afford caddilacs more easily then younger people (generally). Thus, more buyers of caddilacs will be older.

Same applies to BMW, genius... :rolleyes: You find me a BMW that's cheaper then a Cadillac

Only old people can buy more car then they can handle? And only with a Cadillac? Fault in logic #5.

i never said that. You misconstrued the point i was trying to get across.

No, you felt like pointing out old people's ability to drive in a thread bashing Cadillac. Unless the point has something to do with Cadillac, don't bring it up.

The359
Same applies to BMW, genius... :rolleyes: You find me a BMW that's cheaper then a Cadillac.
Well, not to fuel the fire, but........

Base Price
Caddy CTS - $30.7k
BMW 325 - $29.3k
BMW X3 - $30.3k

Average Base Price of all models
Cadillac - $50.63k
BMW - $45.5k

Take that for whatever you want, but......

Hilg

He was referring to competing vehicles, I assume.

CTS = 5-series
Deville = (none)
Escalade = (none)
SRX = X5
STS = 5-series
XLR = 6-series
(none) = X3
(none) = Z4
(none) = 3-series
(none) = 7-series

No, the CTS does not compete with the 3-series. It's more of an Audi A6 competitor than a BMW 5-series competitor, to that.

I'd say the base 325i and the base CTS are a dead heat for each other. Both around $30k, both 6 cyl engines, both RWD. The CTS-V is definately more a 5 series type car, since no 3 series has a V8 or costs as much.

Hilg

SlipZtrEm
The CTS-V and M5 are midsize in North America. They both weigh over 1700kg. Unless you look to the fullsize cars of the time ('69 Eldorado, for example, was huge), there really isn't much of a weight difference between current cars and 35 year old ones. Cars nowadays on average are all grotesquely overweight. Hot hatches are 1300kg, sports cars rarely weigh in under 1400, etc.

They also have like a bajillion more safety and luxury features. The bodies of cars are lighter, as is the frame/chassis', but with the steel sidebeam/sideimpact reinforcements and sound-deadening material etc. it starts to push the envelope in terms of weight. We also have much more advanced transmissions than before.

JNasty4G63
I'd say the base 325i and the base CTS are a dead heat for each other. Both around $30k, both 6 cyl engines, both RWD. The CTS-V is definately more a 5 series type car, since no 3 series has a V8 or costs as much.

Hilg
I'd agree, but for the fact that the CTS is freaking huge. It's 14" longer than a 3-series, and still about an half an inch longer than a 5-series. Not to mention that it's got all the similar engines and spec to have a perfect 5-series, not 3-series, comparison.

On price, it competes with the 3-series; in practice it competes with the 5-series. Truthfully, as I said, it's more of an A6 competitor, though, because it's 90% automatic equipped and it's not as involving as the BMWs.

Im not saying it isn't okay, I'm saying that it's an incredibly American way of boosting sales. They fall into stereotypes and thats how stereotypes get started, because at one point stereotypes weren't really stereotypes- they were just true.

ROAD_DOGG33J
I didn't know he was in Canada...

And how on earth would someone afford 100G a year, plus a mortgage, plus taxes, plus the vehicle ownership, if the average income of a canadian household is 58,000 a year? Are you on crack? You'd be lucky to hit 10 Grand on a sports car pal.

PublicSecrecy
And how on earth would someone afford 100G a year, plus a mortgage, plus taxes, plus the vehicle ownership, if the average income of a canadian household is 58,000 a year? Are you on crack? You'd be lucky to hit 10 Grand on a sports car pal.

I will give you that, except the average household wouldn't buy an M3.
;)

PublicSecrecy
Im not saying it isn't okay, I'm saying that it's an incredibly American way of boosting sales. They fall into stereotypes and thats how stereotypes get started, because at one point stereotypes weren't really stereotypes- they were just true.

Cadillac increases horsepower in a family sedan, so its a cheap way to boost sales.
BMW increases horsepower in a family sedan, so its a pure sportscar.

👎

The only person stereotyping is you.

The black with black wheels is beautiful on that car!
off topic: Nice avatar skip0110. "I need more cow bell!!" :lol:

PublicSecrecy

If just adding more power was the american way to sell cars, why would they be testing it at the nubering?

The359
Cadillac increases horsepower in a family sedan, so its a cheap way to boost sales.
BMW increases horsepower in a family sedan, so its a pure sportscar.

👎

The only person stereotyping is you.

The M5 is a sports sedan pal. Why would someone get an M5 when they could just get another 5-series for considerably less, unless of course you're racing with 3 kids with you... The steretype thing is quite true, American's (in general, with the car companies) assimilate horepower with quality and car sales. A model gets so much horsepower and then the people who don't know too much about cars go "OMG IT HAS 300HP THAT THINGS AMAZINGX0R" and then they get that one thinking its the most amazing thing ever.

super cirrus
If just adding more power was the american way to sell cars, why would they be testing it at the nubering?

You know they have ways to test a car at a track without testing it at that particular track. Hint hint.

Back