California Bans Soccer Fan's 'Racist' Vanity Plates

If he were to win this case, would that mean that California would be compelled to issue plates to anyone saying anything? Or at that point, would California just cease issuing custom plates all together? That would be a bummer, as meaningless as they are.

IDK why this story is posted here. Such a waste of time seeing how many states ban alot of things on plates.

I couldn't get the 666 Z34 plate in Texas.

Born and raised in Southern California not far from Calabasas. I feel like if you pay the ridiculous vehicle registration, gas tax, parking fees etc that the state and cities make a boatload of money off of, you should be able to have whatever you want on your license plate even if deliberately offensive. I hope he wins the suit.

So...I was curious and doelwnded downloaded (What?!) the personalized plates guidelines PDF on Texas' DMV website for a look-see, and I took a screen grab of the bit relevant to this discussion:

Screenshot_20190411-185338.png

Edit:

I don't understand why he didn't just say it meant something like Coy Walter or whatever and just be done with it.
I mean...I'm kind of with you there, but I also think it's better that he didn't provide information that was false. He also may well not have felt the need to do so, but then I suspect California's guidelines are similar in that it's not so much what it means to you but what it means to others...if they actually know what the letters are supposed to stand for.

Last edited:
I still don't see what the censorship is all about.
If a person wanted to, they could have Bumper Stickers Printed and Plaster them all over the Car.
Next you're going to tell me, that there is an Ordinance against using certain words on Bumper stickers too.

THAT Word is not allowed. Remove it, or go to Jail !
Your WORDS HURT me..
Your WORDS are Harmful

This is all PC BS.
Words don't do physical harm. The person perceiving the words, is not harmed by the words.
They are harmed by their own Mind. It is their own Issue, not the issue of the person using the words.

People have to be responsible for themselves, and have to stop pushing blame on to others for their own issues.

Don't say those words they hurt me, I need a safe place.

How Insane is all this becoming.
Your Mental Illness should not predicate what others in society are allowed to do.

By the by, Tranmere Rovers Football Club get into trouble from time to time when their Super White Army nickname, Super Whites banners and #SWA hashtags get noticed.

I’m with a couple others here. If you saw COY-W and immediately knew what it meant, 99% chance you know what it refers to in return.

Otherwise, I don’t see how anyone can see those 4 letters and think “racism” without purposely wanting it to be racist.

I'm surprised Fulham are deemed relevant enough to warrant a GTP article. Though they did spend £100m to finish 19th or 20th. They're barely relevant to have discussion in my house in England and that's only because my uncle supports them.

Otherwise, I don’t see how anyone can see those 4 letters and think “racism” without purposely wanting it to be racist.

Something semi-psychological: People that want to be offended will look for offenses.

I still don't see what the censorship is all about.
If a person wanted to, they could have Bumper Stickers Printed and Plaster them all over the Car.
Next you're going to tell me, that there is an Ordinance against using certain words on Bumper stickers too.

THAT Word is not allowed. Remove it, or go to Jail !
Your WORDS HURT me..
Your WORDS are Harmful

This is all PC BS.
Words don't do physical harm. The person perceiving the words, is not harmed by the words.
They are harmed by their own Mind. It is their own Issue, not the issue of the person using the words.

People have to be responsible for themselves, and have to stop pushing blame on to others for their own issues.

Don't say those words they hurt me, I need a safe place.

How Insane is all this becoming.
Your Mental Illness should not predicate what others in society are allowed to do.
Apart from being much longer, much more convoluted and demonstrating to a greater degree your not understanding what "political correctness" is, how does this post differ from your previous one in this thread?

And because I'm really curious, what exactly is "political correctness" to you?

I wonder if you'd indulge me further and indicate when you believe "political correctness" began (because your use of the word "becoming" suggests it hasn't always been present).

I also wonder if you're familiar with Lenny Bruce [if even in the following context] beyond the line "Lenny Bruce is not afraid" in the hit R.E.M. song* "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)".

*Edit: I find it humorous--given the discussion is about what sort of speech is and isn't deemed permissible--that the album that that particular song is on, Document, also features a song titled "Exhuming McCarthy".

Something semi-psychological: People that want to be offended will look for offenses.
What is there to be deemed offensive about "COY-W" though?

I grabbed the most recent dictionary I have--a pocket edition of The Merriam-Webster Dictionary published in 2004--and turned to the 'W's to find that they begin two-thirds up page 814, but the word "white" doesn't appear until the last entry of the left-hand column of page 831. Now...also included before that entry is a full-page "U.S. Weights & Measures" chart, but that's still an awful lot of possible words not including those that come after this particular one.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Fulham are deemed relevant enough to warrant a GTP article. Though they did spend £100m to finish 19th or 20th. They're barely relevant to have discussion in my house in England and that's only because my uncle supports them.
It's more a story about the DMV and vanity plates (which is why they appear in the title, and Fulham doesn't).

But one of these days I'll find a way to get my team in there, and Fulham will seem like Manchester City by comparison.

Back