Camaro or Corvette?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dagger311
  • 44 comments
  • 2,420 views
Messages
6,658
United States
Marietta, GA
Messages
Dagger31198
Which one of these is better in each of the classes in the game? I know Camaro is a muscle car, while vette is a sports car, which clearly means a handling difference.

Oh, and also: if you know anything about cars, which is better in real life? When I save up enough money, I want a corvette (especially an older one), but someone on a car forum told me the camaro had the same engine (New models, anyway), could seat more people, and is way less expensive (A fully restored, late 60's corvette will run anywhere from 90-100k at auction).

Thanks in advance.
 
If you ever have the cash the New to be released Z/28 will be the poor mans corvette.
 
The '93 to '97 Camaros had an LT1, which was in the Corvette from '92 to '96. A lot of Camaros and Firebirds had the same basic engine as the Corvette, however they were detuned to have slightly less horsepower. The Corvette will be more of a true sports car though because of the suspension and lack of a back seat. If you would be using the car as a 2nd car, I'd go with the Corvette, but if it would be your only car, the Camaro would be more practical.
 
The '93 to '97 Camaros had an LT1, which was in the Corvette from '92 to '96. A lot of Camaros and Firebirds had the same basic engine as the Corvette, however they were detuned to have slightly less horsepower. The Corvette will be more of a true sports car though because of the suspension and lack of a back seat. If you would be using the car as a 2nd car, I'd go with the Corvette, but if it would be your only car, the Camaro would be more practical.
Camaro it is then. If it's cheaper and more practical. I don't plan to do any racing, I just really like corvettes.

Anyway, as luck would have it, I saw both a Camaro and a Corvette today. They were on the road, so I didn't get to check anything else. All I saw was "Camaro" on the side of one, and the corvette flag on the Corvette. The Camaro looked nice, but the Corvette looks a lot better in my opinion. The Camaro also looked heavy, where the Corvette looked a lot more agile. The odd thing is, we weren't even near the rich part of Georgia (Savannah, and some parts of Atlanta, to name a couple).

The Camaro was white, and the Corvette was red by the way.
 
A well tuned 500 PP Camaro is a good match against most any 500 PP car...M3, NSX, etc.
A well tuned 550 PP Corvette can be more easily beaten by other 550 PP cars.

So, bang for the buck goes for the Camaro.
 
Well, a 1963 Corvette sold on Barrett-Jackson a couple hours ago for $700k, if you're interested in the auction/price standpoint.

If you're going for new, a 300 HP Camaro is $24k. A 425 HP Corvette is $56k. Obviously a Corvette will always be faster, but a Camaro is more practical. It's always been like that and always will be.

It's not that a Camaro is a poormans Corvette, but if you plan on living with 1 car for the rest of your life, you should choose a Camaro because you'll end up having to haul a trailer with you to carry stuff in a Corvette, which defeats the whole purpose of a Corvette.

P.S. I have no idea what this has to do with GT6.
 
A well tuned 500 PP Camaro is a good match against most any 500 PP car...M3, NSX, etc.
A well tuned 550 PP Corvette can be more easily beaten by other 550 PP cars.

So, bang for the buck goes for the Camaro.
I can back this, kind of. My 6-hundred-something pp corvette got easily outdone by the lighter European model sports cars. The Camaro held it's own against everything. Can you tell me why that is? Why doesthe vette have trouble against equal cars?

Well, a 1963 Corvette sold on Barrett-Jackson a couple hours ago for $700k, if you're interested in the auction/price standpoint.

If you're going for new, a 300 HP Camaro is $24k. A 425 HP Corvette is $56k. Obviously a Corvette will always be faster, but a Camaro is more practical. It's always been like that and always will be.

It's not that a Camaro is a poormans Corvette, but if you plan on living with 1 car for the rest of your life, you should choose a Camaro because you'll end up having to haul a trailer with you to carry stuff in a Corvette, which defeats the whole purpose of a Corvette.

P.S. I have no idea what this has to do with GT6.
Shoot, a corvette is over double the price of a camaro! And 700k! I probably won't make that in my life!

I think it's pretty much settled then, when I buy a car, I'll buy a Camaro, and save the corvette for my dreams. I like them both, but Corvettes just look so nice...

Edit: just read the part about being about gt6. My first post starts out asking which is better in-game, and then asking anyone who knows about cars to help with the real-life aspect as well. Kind of veered off though. It really should be in The Auto section.
 
Shoot, a corvette is over double the price of a camaro! And 700k! I probably won't make that in my life!

I think it's pretty much settled then, when I buy a car, I'll buy a Camaro, and save the corvette for my dreams. I like them both, but Corvettes just look so nice...
I will add, though, that was an original, unrestored, very well-maintained Corvette, which are very rare for the 60's.

If you were to look at the possibility of used Corvettes from 1990's to 2005, the price would be less than a new base Camaro.
And then comes the insurance costs...
 
I will add, though, that was an original, unrestored, very well-maintained Corvette, which are very rare for the 60's.

If you were to look at the possibility of used Corvettes from 1980's to 2005, the price would be equal or less to that of a new base Camaro.
And then comes the insurance costs...
If I were to get a corvette, I would want one from the 50's or 60's, but that's the dream car. I like Chevy a lot, I think they have some of the best cars on the American market (Favorite dealerships in order are Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Shelby), but they're more expensive than most of their competitors.

Just tested the two up against each other in the game, and on ovals, Camaro killed it, but on the tighter tracks, corvette had it hands down. Both of them were tuned and around the same pp.

Edit: is nothing about buying a car simple! There's about five different Camaro's for 2014 on Chevrolet's website!
 
I can back this, kind of. My 6-hundred-something pp corvette got easily outdone by the lighter European model sports cars. The Camaro held it's own against everything. Can you tell me why that is? Why doesthe vette have trouble against equal cars?
From what I've seen stretching a car past its "natural" PP produces diminishing returns. I'm sure master tuners can get it right, but I've not been able to do it.
 
From what I've seen stretching a car past its "natural" PP produces diminishing returns. I'm sure master tuners can get it right, but I've not been able to do it.
I don't understand though, how could making a car better make it worse? Gearbox? I know when I add or take away power I have to completely re-do the gearbox to match it's power.
 
I don't understand though, how could making a car better make it worse? Gearbox? I know when I add or take away power I have to completely re-do the gearbox to match it's power.
A well tuned Corvette at 600 PP is better than its natural state. But other cars closer to 600 PP start out as better cars and the better car wins.
 
You can get a 1st or 2nd gen Corvette (1954-1966?) For much, much less then what I posted earlier. Maybe 30k is a good price, and then there's the perfect option of building your own from an old rust bucket.
 
A well tuned Corvette at 600 PP is better than its natural state. But other cars closer to 600 PP start out as better cars and the better car wins.
That makes sense. Thanks.

You can get a 1st or 2nd gen Corvette (1954-1966?) For much, much less then what I posted earlier. Maybe 30k is a good price, and then there's the perfect option of building your own from an old rust bucket.
The rust bucket is way out of my league, but the Camaro seems much more practical than the corvette.

But if I ever hit the lottery, I'll have every Corvette ever made!
 
<snip>
Oh, and also: if you know anything about cars, which is better in real life? When I save up enough money, I want a corvette (especially an older one), <snip>

In real life, Corvettes really became world class with the C5. The C5 set the scene for the rigidity of the C6 and C7.

For a great read, try "All Corvettes are Red" by James Schefter. He was given pretty much unfettered access during the C5 development period. The book gives a great insight into car development generally (including internal politics) and the C5's technology in particular. Understanding the basis of the C5 gives a great insight into the C6 and C7.

Oh, and not all Corvettes are actually red. Here is my C6 GS Centennial, which only comes in one color. :sly:

C6 GS Centennial.jpg
 
In real life, Corvettes really became world class with the C5. The C5 set the scene for the rigidity of the C6 and C7.

For a great read, try "All Corvettes are Red" by James Schefter. He was given pretty much unfettered access during the C5 development period. The book gives a great insight into car development generally (including internal politics) and the C5's technology in particular. Understanding the basis of the C5 gives a great insight into the C6 and C7.

Oh, and not all Corvettes are actually red. Here is my C6 GS Centennial, which only comes in one color. :sly:

View attachment 101733
I would love to have that! I may get the book though, thanks.
 
I'd say the vettes are a bit more mature cars then the camaros. I love my LeMans blue C6......hmm maybe that is why i don't have a girlfriend :dopey: (kidding)

In GT i have barely driven camaros at all.
 
I'd say the vettes are a bit more mature cars then the camaros. I love my LeMans blue C6......hmm maybe that is why i don't have a girlfriend :dopey: (kidding)

In GT i have barely driven camaros at all.
The first time I ever used a Camaro in the game was yesterday lol.

I saw another one parked at a Dollar General, and then another guy pulled up in a shiny black one getting pizza at Johnny's. They're all over the place now! My cousin also gets two Corvettes down at his emissions testing place all the time. A red one and a black one.
 
I've only ever seen one Corvette on the road.

:grumpy:
They are all over the rich part of Atlanta. Savannah is overrun with Mercedes and Corvettes. You're lucky to find a Camaro down here though. I've seen two so far, and I'm born and raised here.
 
I probably see a Corvette a day... 4 Camaros a day. 5738 Challengers and Mustangs a day, lol
 
Back