Camera angles especially chase cam...

• Thread starter DonZonda
  • 105 comments
I like the fixed view. I don't know why but it gives me a better feel for a car understeering or oversteering compared to GT1-GT3.

They should put all views available while racing in the replays. It would make moderating incidents much easier.

Due the replay are also better roofcams, which are pointed down, so you can see the car, and when you look back you see the rear. Way better than the one in the gameplay, pointed straight foward and usually you just see a little part of the hood/bonnet and feel like floating in the air. Thats also something I don't understand. Why don't they offer both for gameplay?! :guilty:

You misunderstood me .
I dont said that you are a kid ! It was just an example .

What iam trying to say is (and iam not talking directly about features which were posted in this Thread, Iam talking about it in a generall aspect) that many, really many people in GT are not Sim Drivers and because of that they ask for new features which have nothing to do with a Sim .

Btw i didnt knew what a livery editor really is, I thought its a feature where you can change the car (hood,spoilers etc...).

Look what is avaible in ,for example, iracing and then look what people ask for GT.

Do you ever joined a "UK Rules 70mph" lobby ? 1 year ago you could really cruise there and now ??? 10 year old Kids playing (of course) with gamepad and driving (messing around and destroying the feeling/atmosphere of the cruise lobby) with Race Soft tyres + Aids on + 4WD and STILL crashing in EVERY corner of the London track !!!!!

Can you give me 1 reason why these Kids should not go to NFS ?

Simple, because it's their game to play how they like, not for some elitist to decide how to play it and tell them what they should play instead.

Yeah I agree a full 360 camera would be nice but at least go with the chase came from GT3 and GTPSP where the camera is a little bit more loose letting you see the sides of the car. It just feels better to me.

I wish they would put onboard view when spectating online.

The problem is probably that due to lag, you would see lots of rushed animations in the car, and weird glitches occuring.
Edit: If you mean onboard as in hood view or just some kind of view attached directly to the car, not just track cameras, I agree on that. I thought you mean cockpit view at first.

Simple, because it's their game to play how they like, not for some elitist to decide how to play it and tell them what they should play instead.

Not to mention the stereotype example he uses has nothing to do with the camera view, just because surround view is used by other games.

Yes and because other games use it, it's then no good and childish or what have you?... none sense. It's a very useful and welcomed feature which will upgrade the experience. And it's easy to impliment.

Last edited:
Oh man, I thought I was the only one, FM4 nailed the chase cam and it's a perfect example that you can drive perfectly fine with it while still being fun and dynamic. GT5's (and GT6 too based on the gameplay footage) chase cam doesn't even work properly, some cars are bugged and they sit so low on your screen that the rear bumper basically get's chopped by your TV.

Since I play in 16:9 (on a new HD screen) I don't have the problem of cars getting cut off at the screen bottom much anymore, however I remember there were many that did on my old 4:3 tube TV.

Just drove the SLR McLaren yesterday, and I gotta say, I'm really boggled about all its views. The chase cam is like 20 metres behind the car and 10 metres above the street, the hood camera points to the hood and floor which leaves like 30% of the screen to see the road ahead, and the interior camera for some reason isn't centred to the steering wheel but rather moved way too far to the right. It's really irritating to drive in cockpit once you notice that because the gauges and the steering wheel both are on the left of your screen, while you would want them to be in the centre. The SLR, the Viper SRT-10 and the Murciélago cockpit views are most notably examples that come to my mind now if you want to see off-centred irritating cockpit views.

In short, PD can't get the view angles right, it might be because there are just too many cars, it might as well be because they don't bother much and just use bumper view anyway (it's the only camera I ever saw them using in GT Academy)... but they could make an easy fix for all cars if they simply gave us the option to adjust the FOV and camera positions for each vehicle, combined with a memory function so the next time you use that car model again the camera's in place.

Hey guys!

Am I the only one who's bothering the awful chase cam and strange roofcams? From the new footage it seems as its still the same as in GT5... static behind the car with narrow FOV = sense of speed killer, and way too far away from the car.

I wonder why all those beautiful premium cars if you can't enjoy them in the gameplay? For time trail sessions I love chase views to watch the car moving, to see the suspension work and bodyroll, the wheels spin etc. But it's not possible to watch the premium cars in motion in it's all beauty. And the reason? Right the chase cam!

Why isn't it even rotateable in a 360° like everywhere else?

I took a video with my phone from another game, just to show off how I would wish the chase cam was in GT6... :indiff:
Close to the car and rotateable.

Does anyone agree???

Plus one

This is the one feature i really want in gt :)

"Chase cam" sucks now and always has! 👎
When driving in real life, one does NOT hover in mid air 10 feet behind the bloody car!!! :crazy:

On a somewhat related note, I'd love a 1000fps replay mode, where you can select say 3 seconds from any specified view and the game converts it to super slow motion. Would be great to show off the new suspension characteristics!

they could make an easy fix for all cars if they simply gave us the option to adjust the FOV and camera positions for each vehicle, combined with a memory function so the next time you use that car model again the camera's in place.
Someone else who totally gets it. 👍

On a somewhat related note, I'd love a 1000fps replay mode, where you can select say 3 seconds from any specified view and the game converts it to super slow motion. Would be great to show off the new suspension characteristics!
What a crazy cool idea! Kaz...? :D

Atleast give the opportunity to slow it down at any point, like the replay functions in DIRT2/3

So you would basically like everyone to be forced to drive with the view you like? Sad really but then it would make sense to have an option where if you are the host that you could set this.

As for the Cockpit view I feel it is not realistic as I am setting to far from the windscreen and dash board and see to much of the interior directly in from of me. My wheel is at the normal distance from my body and the TV is another 3 feet or so in front of that and then on screen I see another wheel along with details of the dash that I would only see in a real car if I were to look down a bit.

I do like the wipers in the rain and snow and it surely makes it harder to see but to much of the view port is taken up by things that I do not want nor should be able to see while looking at the road ahead. If the camera was dash mounted I would use the interior view much more often but I surely would not want to be forced into a cockpit view in every race nor would most other drivers.

The distance you sit from your tv is your problem. Your room is not a cockpit, and it doesn't simulate a cockpit. Your room is static, it's always the same. Cockpits are not.

The reason cockpit view is the only realistic option is every car has a different amount of visibility. Some have a lot of visibility like open cockpit cars, some have terrible visibility like the Citroen GT. You cannot simulate this any other way than using cockpit view. If you use hood view, it's the same visibility in every car.Plus if it's raining you don't have the wipers to obstruct your view.

Not to mention, you're supposed to set up a sim rig in a way that you don't see the rest of your room. The optimal viewing distance from a TV is 3 times the height of the screen. That way your focus is on the screen, and not the "cockpit" AKA the room around you.

Even if you don't sit at the optimal viewing distance, you still shouldn't be seeing the rest of your room, and claiming that it's your cockpit

i do agree though, there definitely should be an option online to restrict the car views. rFactor, and all SMS games have the option.

The distance you sit from your tv is your problem. Your room is not a cockpit, and it doesn't simulate a cockpit. Your room is static, it's always the same. Cockpits are not.
No, the view really is too low. If I sit two feet from my TV, it doesn't change the fact that the horizon, for me and likely for most of us, should be close to the rear view mirror. It's a principle of visual perspective that the horizon is always at eye level, so the interior view in GT5 is only right if you drive reclining.

Once again, views need to be adjustable and savable so everyone can be happy. If I could adjust cockpit view, I'd probably use it.

Having adjustable views would be perfect. But I doubt they will let us... I just hope they will change the current cameras.

Atleast give the opportunity to slow it down at any point, like the replay functions in DIRT2/3

Would really really love that.

Also remember the GT4 replay had an option where it adds filters and kind of syncs the replay to the music creating a mini movie sort of speak ,I loved that alot.

But yes slow motion would be brilliant and hope it's easily implemented ala Dirt/Grid.

And if we can have a free moving replay cam like PC sims then also great.

Camera angles are so easy to implement. As more as better. The replay cams are also way more enjoyable. The roofcam has a wider FOV for better sense of speed and is pointed down to see the car, also when you look back you can see the rear of the car+you can look to the left and right properly. Whats the point of having it only for replay?!?!

All cameras should be fully adjustable, I hate how inconsistent they are in GT5. In some cars it feels like you're driving from the backseat while in others like your chin is taped on the wheel. How do they even decide? Do they roll a dice for every car? Leaving the adjusting to the user would probably be less work than manually deciding for every single of the 1200 cars.

I fully agree to that! I remember Test Drive Unlimited had that in the option for the interior view. You could just Pause the game, go to options and set the parameters of how far or close you want to be to the dash and how high or low you want to sit. Can't be hard to do.
And especially in a game as Gran Turismo which is supposed to be a Sim, and many people driving from Cockpit should be able to let the user decide how to drive.

There's the issue of performance that a wider FOV can bring. So allowing for adjustable views would require a hell of a lot more testing. Obviously I want it, but realistically don't expect something too extravagant on the PS3. Sure, other games have it, but they also don't have the same detail levels to the assets that GT5 has. I still hope they can use some common sense with GT6 and improve all the views, because they all need tweaking. Bumper is the only one that's fairly consistent, but it's not all that realistic in the first place...

Actually there are some cars in GT5 which have wide FOV, and it works fine. As example the Hood/Bonnet cam of the R33 GT-R. It has a wide FOV, you can see more and the sense of speed is way better. If you switch then back to the other views you feel like going slow motion...

As I saw now, the camera angles havent changed :( Huge let off...
Same bad chase cam and roofcameras.
Oh well :indiff:

Back