Camera Controls in Replays?

GrumpyOldMan

Premium
United States
Southern California
dagware
I have questions about the camera controls that are available during replays. I'm not talking about when you're capturing a still, but when the replay is actually running.

By pure dumb luck I realized that the right shoulder button cycles through camera views. And just now, while I was double-checking which shoulder button does what, I realized that you can hold down the left shoulder button and get a look backwards (on some of the camera views). If you're in Chase Cam view, it moves the camera to in front of the car, which is really cool.

1673957858478.png

It would have been nice for PD to include hints on the screen about the shoulder buttons.

Are there any other options available? For example, is there a way to control those "live camera" types of views? Is there a way to position the camera somewhere manually?

Thanks.

I have questions about the camera controls that are available during replays. I'm not talking about when you're capturing a still, but when the replay is actually running.

By pure dumb luck I realized that the right shoulder button cycles through camera views. And just now, while I was double-checking which shoulder button does what, I realized that you can hold down the left shoulder button and get a look backwards (on some of the camera views). If you're in Chase Cam view, it moves the camera to in front of the car, which is really cool.

View attachment 1223527

It would have been nice for PD to include hints on the screen about the shoulder buttons.

Are there any other options available? For example, is there a way to control those "live camera" types of views? Is there a way to position the camera somewhere manually?

Thanks.
I think this is all in the user guide but these functions have been a part of GT forever, so they probably don't put high priority on it now...

You can also manipulate the camera while racing to look either side of the car (you have to map the function to your controller) and there's a way to control where the camera is facing while in replays too - as in any angle you like almost like a drone hovering around the car while it's moving...

View attachment 1223527

Thanks.
Not that I am aware of, but in GT7 there are often multiple "TV camera" views per part of the track. You can kinda cycle through them by using the up/down buttons on the d-pad to go to the next car and then back to your car (ie, a quick down then up). The TV camera view will often change.

Typically, IMO, the best camera angle for a race photo is the default one during the replay. So, for example, the shot below I just posted yesterday. In order to get this angle I paused the replay at this point in the race, hit up/down on the d-pad and eventually this because the replay angle. I then took the picture using this view. In my experience, if you use the "walk around" feature in the photo mode it just doesn't look as good as the default views.

cbbea046fba820e79fcd162b6d1ed912_photo.webp

I am getting a little off topic, but you can also use the control stick to look around the car if you're in one of the 'driving' views of the replay as well.

I can't believe I never tried the control stick. When using the chase cam, that's exactly what I want! Thanks to both of you!!

Now if only there was a way to control the playback speed. I can always record it and look at the recording on my computer, but it would be nice to do it while watching the replay.

Depending how many laps you do, the cameras cycle different views each lap. You can replicate that during one lap, by manually Cycling through the camera. To add, if you’re patient enough, you can work out which cameras activate at certain sections. Once worked out, you can start a race, park your car at an activation point and wait for the race to complete. Start the replay, when your car arrives at that activation point, cycle until the desired camera angle and watch the action.
My car is parked at the top right of screen, behind the guardrail.

Still wish we had got decent music for music replay mode and it had added special effects like it had in GT3 , responded too the music , swirled around and followed cars randomly :) , seen more of your cars wheels too :)

Last edited:
Great thread! Seems there are some tips and tricks for better-looking replays and photos...

I have a question.

As @Talon16 said, the Walk Mode photos seem to be missing something when compared to the action replay ones. Is it specifically impossible to get tyre smoke to show up in this mode, or is it just me doing something wrong? (PS4)

So full disclosure, one of my favorite things to do in GT is have good, clean races in Sport mode, save the replay, put it on a capture card, and drop the mp4 file on my computer for later viewing. So I am definitely looking for anything to spice them up.

It can be really frustrating when the right "view" doesn't come up at the right time. Like if there is a really good side-by-side pass or something and the view doesn't show it well. Conversely, since I like the races to be super clean, there might be some contact (minor stuff I don't care about, or if other drivers are crashing into each other there's nothing I can do about that) that a view will hide better than others. I know what it's like to restart a replay many times hoping the view I want comes at the right time. Of course, you can use the d-pad to cycle through cars to change the view but that messes up the replay, kills its fluidity, etc.

Great thread! Seems there are some tips and tricks for better-looking replays and photos...

I have a question.

As @Talon16 said, the Walk Mode photos seem to be missing something when compared to the action replay ones. Is it specifically impossible to get tyre smoke to show up in this mode, or is it just me doing something wrong? (PS4)
That's a good question, and I know what you're talking about. In addition to the above, I really enjoy taking race photos of good action (anyone who frequents the Daily Race thread will know this haha). It almost seems like you just have to pause the live action at the right time, and just use that one (or maybe one of the other default views?). Even hitting the 'frame forward' button will make often the smoke, grass/dirt, water spray, etc. just disappear. I, too, like when it's in the photos as it adds a lot of realism. Unfortunately, if you don't pause it at the right time, it often takes at least one - sometimes two - 10 second rewinds.

fb4a14913dfa87380fc55e36185f775a_photo.webp

1cc04e6daea52833a298ba9e33c2e1a6_photo.webp

If you like the camera shots on the music replay mode there's this bug that lets you sort through the different replay actions. The drone follow mode is pretty cool especially on the ring or those low gopro angles of the wheels are awesome in motion.

Unfortunately,it is not possible to use music replay to enter photo mode to take pictures,
Screenshots can only be taken using the SHARE button on the DUALSHOCK™ 4 wireless controller.

View attachment 1223527

Thanks.

The triangle button. Zooms in on the car.

Back