Camera view pros, cons?

Australia
Australia
I've always used the cockpit camera with gt sport for the emmersive aspect, however having changed between bumper and hood/roof camera yesterday I noticed it seemed to give me a better feel for the car... Both in terms of speed and weight transfer. I wasn't sure if it was just me or if others have noticed this? Are these two cameras more popular with top players for that reason? When I watch some of the eSports streams alot of them seem to favour something like bumper cam over cockpit.

I haven't see any top drivers using Cockpit CAM so far, so many disadvantages unless you're going for immersion. The choice of cam and the distance of tv from player..and the size of TV, the TV refresh rate...there are so many factors to count.

But I'm sure, most of the top drivers will favor PC monitor over TV...and prioritize framerate over 4k/HDR

I haven't see any top drivers using Cockpit CAM so far, so many disadvantages unless you're going for immersion. The choice of cam and the distance of tv from player..and the size of TV, the TV refresh rate...there are so many factors to count.

But I'm sure, most of the top drivers will favor PC monitor over TV...and prioritize framerate over 4k/HDR

Why is the PC monitor better than a TV?

The only pro of using cockpit cam is, in my opinion, having a better visualization of how much steering imput your using by looking at the where the hands on the steering wheel are..And that's only for beginning DS4 players.

Everything else the other cameras does it better, bumper cam and roof cam gives you better vision of the apexes of corners, with bumper cam having a better placement for the radar with a better HUD but hood cam having a even better point of view of the corners by sacrificing spacial awareness, chase cam allows you to see all of your car, a bit of your rear and sides.

Cockpit is driveable if you use settings of Front/Back -5 and Height 3, but better to use on open wheelers. With bumper cam, knowing where the car is isn't a problem as the edges of the speedo/tacho correspond with the edges of the car. Hood/Roof cam is 🤬 and rear view is only if you want to look at your car. So, bumper is DA BEST!
The only pro of using cockpit cam is, in my opinion, having a better visualization of how much steering imput your using by looking at the where the hands on the steering wheel are..And that's only for beginning DS4 players.
That's not really needed, if you're on DS4 you can always use the steering indicator above the gauges.

Bumper cam. It provides a great wide view with no obstruction so you know exactly where you are. Also the big rear view mirror is great. Whenever I'm entering/in a braking zone I glance up to it with my peripheral and if I see a car quickly getting larger I know they're braking late or something and move to the opposite side or accelerate when I can to avoid contact. It's saved me countless times

I prefer roof cam for the centered view. Bumper cam weirds me out. Interior view is for when I want to look at the interior because still no Forzavista equivalent. Chase cam for when I want to look at the car.

I always run cockpit. You need to optimize as much as possible the viewpoint within it.
Now, this does mean certain cars become more difficult than others for certain tracks because of viewpoint.
Often the c pillar can block easy view to apex on certain corner and car combos, so you have to find the ones best suited to most tracks.
I find in terms of cockpit vs bumper....I find after using cockpit so long if I switch to bumper it’s as if there i s a delay between wheel input and vehicle response. It’s as if my inputs are damped slightly. In bumper all you have to look at is the hood, so you get much less feedback visually about the cars attitude. Plus for me it tends to make me look down instead of to apex. The way I can try to explain it is you are only looking at the hood, so when you turn in it can be hard to tell how much the car is rotating, if the car is a pendulum I seem to get a better idea what it’s doing from a viewpoint as close to the cog as possible, however your viewpoint in bumper is totally unobstructed so probably way easier to use this view if you like swapping cars often. In cockpit I feel much more in control or connected to the car. Cockpit has neat stuff also that can help if you use manual tranny like shift lights, the sound is imo better...
View is definitely not something it’s easy to change though if you have been using say bumper for example.
I’d say bumper is best to use the widest variety of cars more easily, and you have unobstructed vision to apex, these are huge advantages, and I see most top players using bumper.
I think cockpit really brings out the unique character of each car far more than bumper.
No comment on chase cam!

I always run cockpit. You need to optimize as much as possible the viewpoint within it.
Now, this does mean certain cars become more difficult than others for certain tracks because of viewpoint.
Often the c pillar can block easy view to apex on certain corner and car combos, so you have to find the ones best suited to most tracks.
I find in terms of cockpit vs bumper....I find after using cockpit so long if I switch to bumper it’s as if there i s a delay between wheel input and vehicle response. It’s as if my inputs are damped slightly. In bumper all you have to look at is the hood, so you get much less feedback visually about the cars attitude. Plus for me it tends to make me look down instead of to apex. The way I can try to explain it is you are only looking at the hood, so when you turn in it can be hard to tell how much the car is rotating, if the car is a pendulum I seem to get a better idea what it’s doing from a viewpoint as close to the cog as possible, however your viewpoint in bumper is totally unobstructed so probably way easier to use this view if you like swapping cars often. In cockpit I feel much more in control or connected to the car. Cockpit has neat stuff also that can help if you use manual tranny like shift lights, the sound is imo better...
View is definitely not something it’s easy to change though if you have been using say bumper for example.
I’d say bumper is best to use the widest variety of cars more easily, and you have unobstructed vision to apex, these are huge advantages, and I see most top players using bumper.
I think cockpit really brings out the unique character of each car far more than bumper.
No comment on chase cam!

I think you may be confusing roof cam with bumper cam, in roof cam you can see the hood a little and the angle of the camera is pointing downwards while the radar is off to the right of the screen. In bumper cam the camera is closer to the ground, the gauges/radar are in the middle of the screen and you see no car at all, this is the most popular view. :)

I don’t know how you guys use cockpit cam, it’s really cool for offline races to make them more challenging but I could never use it in an online race, the view is way to restricted to go fast in online traffic for me. Props to the guys who can use it all the time. :)

Cockpit cam all the time, just what I have got used to across a range of titles, and switching between PSVR and flat would be a pain to keep changing between the two.

That said GTS really needs to implement a range of proper POV settings and a 'look to apex' function.

This is the live event going on right now in Paris, looks like every one of them is using Bumper cam. :)
74532803-D3DD-4508-967E-8ED790C81454.jpeg

Same. I like seeing further ahead. If I'm not using that view it's bumper for first turns. Gotta anticipate the dicks with no brakes

Sadly the game is really inconsistent with the camera positions.
I like playing in chase-cam view, but some cars are too far away. If you change the setting for the camera to "near"... some cars are still too far away and some are way too close that you don't see the road in front of you. =(

The cabin view really need a FOV and tilt option.

file

file

Sadly the game is really inconsistent with the camera positions.
I like playing in chase-cam view, but some cars are too far away. If you change the setting for the camera to "near"... some cars are still too far away and some are way too close that you don't see the road in front of you. =(

The cabin view really need a FOV and tilt option.

file

file
Total agree. The roof cam for the Lambo gr4 is pointed at the bloody tarmac

I also love the cockpit view for the immersive aspect, but as a controller user, the cockpit view has controller specific issues when compared to the default/traditional first person cam. The cockpit view syncs the steering wheel more closely to your controller input, which makes sense at first blush, but that input can cause a more jerky effect on steering and can make your car a little more difficult to control when you need more subtle inputs. The default camera has more of a damping effect between your inputs and the car's steering so you can be more smooth around the track.

I just testing it btw to make sure this was still the case. You can even see the more jerky car behaviour in the replays.

The ‘bumper cam’ in GT Sport is more akin to a single-seater cockpit position. Obviously minus the actual car.

With a traditional bumper cam you’re literally perched on the front of the car which can set in motion a pendulum effect.

"Bumper" and roof cameras give a more consistent performance overall, that's what I noticed. On cockpit cam is very difficult to know where exactly your car is on the track, this is because of the extremely narrow FOV.

The pros and cons of the various cameras I believe are fairly well established. It’s well known that the absolute quickest drivers use either bumper or hood cam, naturally that’s what you want to go for if you aim for the very top. Cockpit is obviously fantastic for that feeling of immersion but the very limited FOV makes things a lot harder all around.

Myself I mostly use chase cam, actually. For me it’s the camera I’ve more or less always used since I started with racing games around two decades ago and I suppose I’m not the most change-friendly dude around. It has always felt good for me and I keep missing the FOV whenever I use any other camera, though I acknowledge that to get the very best times you’ll need either bumper or hood. Chase can also be tricky in races when you’re in the slipstream and about to execute a tight overtake — in those situations bumper or hood is undeniably the best choice.

Cockpit is driveable if you use settings of Front/Back -5 and Height 3, but better to use on open wheelers. With bumper cam, knowing where the car is isn't a problem as the edges of the speedo/tacho correspond with the edges of the car. Hood/Roof cam is 🤬 and rear view is only if you want to look at your car. So, bumper is DA BEST!

That's not really needed, if you're on DS4 you can always use the steering indicator above the gauges.

Sure you can, but that tiny red dot it quite hard to see when you're focusing on the road or the car in front of you...Or if your car has a red paintjob.

Back