Camera view pros, cons?

Just drove the mercedes F1 races in campaign mode. (really fun cars, NO UNDERSTEEEEER) Used the cockpit view, just need to adjust the view so you can see out of the cockpit.
Usually use bumper cam. Did try the gr2 nsx with cockpit view, it was drivable and fun.
But about 1,5sec slower for me than bumper cam.

I normally race using bumper or hood/roof cam. Only problem for me using bumper cam while racing is when you are behind someone, you have almost no forward view, its blocked by the car in front but bumper cam offers the only view with a rearview mirror. Cockpit cam almost feels like it slows everything around you down just a little bit, I was surprised to see my lap times equal to bumper and roof almost immediately but I dont think it would be good in traffic. I cant use chase cam, it's just way to weird, it feels like I am standing on the deck lid of the car I am driving. Some cars also look like they are staked to the ground thru a trailer hitch on the back of the car and the front end just pivots off of that rear mounted stake. :lol::lol::lol:

I've used the bumper cam for as long as I've played GT. However, on GT Sport I often use the cockpit view when I'm driving more casually because it's a lot of fun. I especially enjoy it in old cars, and open cockpit cars. The Jaguar XJ13, for example, is a ton of fun from the cockpit.

I use the chase cam to have a better visual cue of my car's weight distribution as well as space from other drivers. If the game had head tracking support for the big screen mode in the VR headset I'd use the cockpit view.

I like cockpit for the immersion but it’s hard to see with the a pillar sometimes, also lots of cars have crap mirrors or non at all. If that’s the case then I use bumper. I dislike chase and hood cam, they kill some of the immersion for me.

I've used cockpit view for as long as its been around but in serious online races I've been switching to bumper cam lately with my new wheel setup. I can run just as fast in cockpit view as I can bumper cam but I do feel it becomes a little safer running bumper cam when running door to door with others.

When it comes to doing any other racing in GTS its always 100% cockpit view all the time and I will even turn off all HUD and only Rely on the gauges in the car for Speed, RPM'S, fuel to really make things authentic.

"Bumper" and roof cameras give a more consistent performance overall, that's what I noticed. On cockpit cam is very difficult to know where exactly your car is on the track, this is because of the extremely narrow FOV.

I compared that view to sitting in my car and I see 2 problems both with that door post. I real life I can move my head if I feel its obstructing some view of something I want to see. And secondly I think that door post should be right at the edge of the screen. Its in to far making it so distracting.

Fraga with his real life F3 exerience also choose hood cam in GTS, because GTS allow that in competition.

What if PD forced every player to use cockpit cam and player X get Citroen GR3 with horrendous cockpit cam :D
Yeah I watched the Paris events and from looking at the screens the players were sitting they all used either bumper or hood cam.... Bumper being a little more popular though

I like chase cam. I don't see how you can keep track of where other cars are using bumper cam, it feels like you're an accident waiting to happen, with chase cam you can be so much more aggressive.

Roof/Hood 100% of the time.

To me:
Cockpit has terrible FOV, plus on wheel I can’t exactly map a look left/right to check the mirrors.

Bumper just looks awkward. Not being able to see any part of my car is unrealistic.

3rd person only really used for non-serious banter racing.

Roof/Hood 100% of the time.

To me:
Cockpit has terrible FOV, plus on wheel I can’t exactly map a look left/right to check the mirrors.

Bumper just looks awkward. Not being able to see any part of my car is unrealistic.

3rd person only really used for non-serious banter racing.
Wasn't it 666pirata666 that was using the 3rd person view at the nurb event ?

Cockpit:
Rk0Kob1.jpg

roof:
3JDXRPB.jpg

bonnet:
Cv5AY7U.jpg

external:
pnhKeno.jpg

I normally race using bumper or hood/roof cam. Only problem for me using bumper cam while racing is when you are behind someone, you have almost no forward view, its blocked by the car in front but bumper cam offers the only view with a rearview mirror. Cockpit cam almost feels like it slows everything around you down just a little bit, I was surprised to see my lap times equal to bumper and roof almost immediately but I dont think it would be good in traffic. I cant use chase cam, it's just way to weird, it feels like I am standing on the deck lid of the car I am driving. Some cars also look like they are staked to the ground thru a trailer hitch on the back of the car and the front end just pivots off of that rear mounted stake. :lol::lol::lol:

I have tried roof cam, I like that I can see more in front of me, but the no rear view mirror is troublesome. So bumper cam is best for me. The Cockpit view is cool if I want to see what the inside of the car looks like. However, I just can't see the damn road. I know when I sit in my car, I can see more of the road (yeah yeah, I know my A4 isn't a race car).

Chase cam feels like it's a throwback to 80's Arcade games IMO.

Turbo:

hqdefault.jpg

Pole Position:

220px-Pole0000.png

Outrun:
upload_2019-6-25_13-28-25.jpeg

I try to use cockpit cam as much as possible because of the immersion, but honestly it’s really damn difficult on most tracks. Only on tracks with a lot of space and relatively easy corners is where it’s manageable (Like Le Mans, Monza, or Dragon Trail Seaside). Other than that I wouldn’t recommend it.

Hood cam is my personal favorite, because of how much you can see. Bumper cam just seems awkward cause you can’t see any of the car, and chase cam just feels a bit too arcade.

I guess I just have a bit of pride to always be using cockpit cam (with no HUD also), just want the most immersive experience.

I've been using the cockpit cam for when driving campaign and arcade mode for the immersion. All Hud display off.

One thing that could help is the look left and right buttons should activate in a panning motion instead of the instant look 90degrees left or right. If it was treated like the dpad for steering to pan right the longer I pressed and released the button to let the camera slowly center would be great. I'm playing with a t300rs wheel so I have the buttons mapped on my wheels l2 and r2 buttons on the wheel. This would help the immersion to press it to look into the apex too. PC2 does this apex look automatically, would be nice if GT Sport cockpit camera could do it too or implement the panning. I know it can be done with the R stick on the DS controller but I'm driving with a wheel. Better yet where is the head tracking feature we used to have?

For sport mode I use the bumper cam with HUD display on.

If you want immersion, the best is still VR and cockpit cam but ps4 & gtsport doesnt deliver.

So the only way to enjoy those is on PC and not every title in PC optimized for VR

Since GTSport and iRacing system is almost the same, Im suggesting build a pc and subscribe only iRacing base contents ( usd6/month in my country )

PC specs ( potato level )
- i8 8100
- ram 8GB ( invest good ram with fast timing (
- 250gb ssd
- 1050ti / 970 / 980 gpu
- g29 wheel
- 600w psu

VR in PC
=======
If you can source cheap oculus DK2/CV1 that will bring cost down but at the moment oculus rift s is the only choice.

So titles in PC that optimized for VR :
- Life For Speed
- Assetto Corsa
- iRacing

Even potato pc can clock stable fps with those titles.

Im playing lot less GTS just because so immersed in VR. My PSVR is only for playing Beat Saber or watch netflix

I use cockpit cam 100% of the time because it's more fun for me and I don't care whether my driver rating is dangling around 24k or somewhere a bit higher.

The main problem to my performance is lack of talent and lack of time anyway, not the camera. I'd appreciate better cockpit cam adjustment options in GT7 though.

What if PD forced every player to use cockpit cam and player X get Citroen GR3 with horrendous cockpit cam :D
In my experience, the Citroen is the only car that is undrivable even in VR. I had to switch to hood cam to complete St Croix circuit experience...

I've always used chase cam and it's a habit I haven't been able to break. I've only tried to break it a few times, but that didn't last long. I don't really see any downsides to it except for less immersion compared to cockpit...which everyone agrees sucks for close, clean racing. I can see all around my car, even immediately behind it. I still use radar, but it wouldn't even be necessary if chase cam had a rear view mirror option.

Bottom line, use whatever view keeps you the fastest and cleanest. The physics remains the same for any view, it's just that you will naturally react differently because of how you perceive your relative location. As a result of this, I often release steering lock too late and have needed to train myself not to do so. Any time I try to use bumper or roof cam, I tend to turn in too late. But those are just things I would need to adjust to.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't be fast in a certain view. For at least the 3rd time now, I saw a World Tour participant using chase cam. The latest was TRL_TSUTSU, and he is literally one of the fastest guys in the game right now. Go ahead, tell him chase cam is inferior! :lol:

I've always used chase cam and it's a habit I haven't been able to break. I've only tried to break it a few times, but that didn't last long. I don't really see any downsides to it except for less immersion compared to cockpit...which everyone agrees sucks for close, clean racing. I can see all around my car, even immediately behind it. I still use radar, but it wouldn't even be necessary if chase cam had a rear view mirror option.

Bottom line, use whatever view keeps you the fastest and cleanest. The physics remains the same for any view, it's just that you will naturally react differently because of how you perceive your relative location. As a result of this, I often release steering lock too late and have needed to train myself not to do so. Any time I try to use bumper or roof cam, I tend to turn in too late. But those are just things I would need to adjust to.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't be fast in a certain view. For at least the 3rd time now, I saw a World Tour participant using chase cam. The latest was TRL_TSUTSU, and he is literally one of the fastest guys in the game right now. Go ahead, tell him chase cam is inferior! :lol:

That's amazing, didn't knew that. I think pirata666pirata is another one who uses chase cam. I'm just like you, been playing on chase cam since i was young in these arcade games and got used to it, the only downside imo is bumper-to-bumper racing, kinda hard to access how close you are to the car in front, but other than that, immersion aside, i see no disadvantage.

I have no problem keeping my SR at 99 almost all the time in cockpit view. I'm sure chase cam makes that easier, but cockpit view doesn't "suck" in that regard.

Ok I shouldn’t have said everyone. But many people do agree that it’s inferior for several reasons, not only the close racing. Someone before said that they had never seen anyone on the highest levels use chase cam, but as far as I can tell cockpit view is the only one not used on a world class level right now. Not that it couldn’t happen, I just feel like there are valid reasons it’s not chosen by the fastest players.

Latest Posts

Back