Camera view pros, cons?

The problem in using cockpit view vs any other view is it’s much tougher to switch cars. Just switching to right hand drive in some, plus differences in pillar size etc.
If I had to guess I’d say that is why worlds best aren’t using it to compete.

Ok I shouldn’t have said everyone. But many people do agree that it’s inferior for several reasons, not only the close racing. Someone before said that they had never seen anyone on the highest levels use chase cam, but as far as I can tell cockpit view is the only one not used on a world class level right now. Not that it couldn’t happen, I just feel like there are valid reasons it’s not chosen by the fastest players.
I have no doubt that cockpit view as it is implemented right now in GTS is the worst cam for competitive racing. I just think it's too much to say that it "sucks". Of course, the top dogs use every advantage they can get.

My motivation for cockpit cam is in post #56 ;).

sad there is no option for the dashboard cam without wheel like in few other games

this is the best cam ever

YES!!!!

Straight from DRIVE CLUB!

Btw, the conventional cockpit view from AC with all of it’s adjustment options far exceed GT Sport’s and I hope PD simply copies it. At that point GT would be virtually perfect imo!

alpine vgt in cockpit view the height in positive is not the same caliber as in negative is this normal or a bug to correct ??

I’m all about that experience, so last year I commited to only running cockpit view with dat wheel without dat TCS. Sure bumper is fastest but driving and tuning are way more important. I’ve never lost a race and thought cockpit view was the reason.

I use Chase cam, I’m so used to it from previous generations of GT if find it difficult to change. Hood/Roof/Bumper cams do give a better view of corners apex's which can be important when trying to press on but I don’t seem to be in as much control of my car and can spin out more easily. I have tried to ween myself off Chase cam but it’s not easy.

Cockpit 100% of the time, unless the car doesn’t have an interior, then I’ll reluctantly use bumper.
I think the cockpit views are really good in my opinion, the movement of the car gives an extra bit of visual feedback. If you’re sitting way back on the couch with a tiny tv, then I guess the interior view can be a bit crowded on some cars. But sitting in a playseat with a 50” screen it looks and feels great. In some cars I can almost match the in game wheel with the rim of my actual wheel, so I can look though it to see the instruments. It’s all about immersion for me. Exterior and chase cams are not my thing.

Last edited:
Cockpit 100% of the time, unless the car doesn’t have an interior, then I’ll reluctantly use bumper.
I think the cockpit views are really good in my opinion, the movement of the car gives an extra bit of visual feedback. If you’re sitting way back on the couch with a tiny tv, then I guess the interior view can be a bit crowded on some cars. But sitting in a playseat with a 50” screen it looks and feels great. In some cars I can almost match the in game wheel with the rim of my actual wheel, so I can look though it to see the instruments. It’s all about immersion for me. Exterior and case cams are not my thing.

I also use that view. When I switch to me it feels like the game applies damping to my inputs. Do you notice that?

I also use that view. When I switch to me it feels like the game applies damping to my inputs. Do you notice that?
If you’re playing on a pad then yes, the wheel animation does not match your inputs. I think it applies damping to the animation, otherwise button stabbers would see the wheel jittering all over the place.
It does not do this when your using a wheel.

If you’re playing on a pad then yes, the wheel animation does not match your inputs. I think it applies damping to the animation, otherwise button stabbers would see the wheel jittering all over the place.
It does not do this when your using a wheel.

When using a DS4 I dont think it dampens the animation only, it dampens your inputs into the car and also. If you watch the brake animation when squeezing the DS4 brake you will notice that is dampened too. I think they do this to speed up DS4 users compared to wheel users, it seems like they handicap wheel users a little too much compared to the DS4

When using a DS4 I dont think it dampens the animation only, it dampens your inputs into the car and also. If you watch the brake animation when squeezing the DS4 brake you will notice that is dampened too. I think they do this to speed up DS4 users compared to wheel users, it seems like they handicap wheel users a little too much compared to the DS4
The inputs from the pad are filtered by default on any camera view. There is speed sensitivity, ie the faster you go the less steering lock you have, it’s also damped. When you use cockpit with a pad it gives the impression that there’s lag because of the mismatch between the cars movement and the wheels movement. You can see it when you come out of a tight turn, the car has stopped turning but the wheel won’t be centred yet. I also saw this effect while watching the last GT event, when they went onboard with one of the drivers, it was apparent that the wheel wasn’t matching the movement of the car. They were all using wheels so I guess this is just a design feature of the spectator system.

The inputs from the pad are filtered by default on any camera view. There is speed sensitivity, ie the faster you go the less steering lock you have, it’s also damped. When you use cockpit with a pad it gives the impression that there’s lag because of the mismatch between the cars movement and the wheels movement. You can see it when you come out of a tight turn, the car has stopped turning but the wheel won’t be centred yet. I also saw this effect while watching the last GT event, when they went onboard with one of the drivers, it was apparent that the wheel wasn’t matching the movement of the car. They were all using wheels so I guess this is just a design feature of the spectator system.

It really seems to me as a cockpit plus wheel user that input damping is in effect when using roof cam (the one where you see hood)
I don’t like that view but it seems like there’s less sensitivity compared to cockpit (using wheel not ds4)

I think the cockpit views are really good in my opinion, the movement of the car gives an extra bit of visual feedback. If you’re sitting way back on the couch with a tiny tv, then I guess the interior view can be a bit crowded on some cars. But sitting in a playseat with a 50” screen it looks and feels great. In some cars I can almost match the in game wheel with the rim of my actual wheel, so I can look though it to see the instruments. It’s all about immersion for me. Exterior and chase cams are not my thing.
I've recently committed to the same after years of using either the chase cam, or the bumper cam. Like you, i have a cockpit and i've just about matched my wheel with the in-game wheel. I can't quite get it 100%. I'm having a blast with the game and this really added to the immersion of it. Another thing i've noticed is that it really heightens the amount of attention I pay to situational awareness.

I've always used the cockpit camera with gt sport for the emmersive aspect, however having changed between bumper and hood/roof camera yesterday I noticed it seemed to give me a better feel for the car... Both in terms of speed and weight transfer. I wasn't sure if it was just me or if others have noticed this? Are these two cameras more popular with top players for that reason? When I watch some of the eSports streams alot of them seem to favour something like bumper cam over cockpit.

So I use the hood cam pretty much exclusively the only time i change camera is to switch to cockpit camera if I'm well in the lead and can afford to be a few tenths slower and just enjoy the sounds and difference in view.

Also play on a 4k monitor but have it set for frame rate priority.

But yeah, for whatever reason the car feels snappier or easier to control for me in hood cam than it does in any other, maybe it's just a placebo idk

I always use cockpit or dash cam in racing titles (dash mainly in rally titles), however what let's GTS down is the lack of FOV adjustment.

Thank you for this video. I just subbed your channel! Thinking about the comparisons, would it be possible to compare like cars in Asseto and GTS and their FOV? In looking at the open wheeled cars vs the MX-5, I totally understood what you were saying, but because the cars were so different I didn’t have that “aha” moment.

Back