Can anyone fix this picture?

• Thread starter Dagger311
  • 42 comments
United States
Marietta, GA
Dagger31198
I saw a Maserati Granturismo today, and stared at it before thinking to take a picture. I managed to swing around and get a picture that just barely identifies it.
IMG_20140906_133135.jpg

Is it even possible to do anything about it? Any help is appreciated.

@Dagger311. Here is what it looks like in Photoshop, after I have adjusted the brightness/contrast, exposure, vibrancy and added a bit of sharpness to the image.
1.jpg

There seems to be missing pixels in the image (look where the hood of the GC is you will see something that looks like a 'I')

Could it be fixed?? I don't think so (I tried.)

Yeah... While I was waiting, I adjusted it as well. Mine looks similar to yours, but I think I'll just have to call it a crappy pic and be done with it.

Thanks for trying, though. And at least it's still identifiable.

Highlights/Shadows, Exposure, Levels, Curves.

I can't do anything about your highlights because all the whites, and upper-midtones are all squished together.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 19
I have no idea what you just said, but thanks :lol:.

Highlights/shadows: changes highlights and shadows level
Exposure: brightness of photo
Levels: darkness/brightness of whites and blacks
Curves: It's pretty much all of them combined.

Don't mind me....I was just strolling through and thought I'd play around with it a little bit...humm humm...whistle whistle....

DaggereditedGT.jpg

@Dagger311. Here is what it looks like in Photoshop, after I have adjusted the brightness/contrast, exposure, vibrancy and added a bit of sharpness to the image.View attachment 219621
There seems to be missing pixels in the image (look where the hood of the GC is you will see something that looks like a 'I')

Could it be fixed?? I don't think so (I tried.)
actually, its not missing pixels, the white bits are pure white, where the camera couldn't process anything whiter. so when you put it in photoshop, it doesn't know how to process them because they are all the exact same white, because the camera used can't process any whiter. ;)

Personally the only thing I'd do is send it to the recycle bin. Chalk it up to experience and move on. Take a better shot in the first place - it was clearly parked so you had all the time in the world to get the shots you want.

Personally the only thing I'd do is send it to the recycle bin. Chalk it up to experience and move on. Take a better shot in the first place - it was clearly parked so you had all the time in the world to get the shots you want.
oh and whats to say the photographer himself wasn't moving? ever tried to whip out you phone, open the camera, scramble around in the car, and take a pic of a parked car, all in the space of about 3 seconds? you would have to know that the car was there from 200 meters away in order to take a decent photo of the thing. :irked:

oh and whats to say the photographer himself wasn't moving? ever tried to whip out you phone, open the camera, scramble around in the car, and take a pic of a parked car, all in the space of about 3 seconds? you would have to know that the car was there from 200 meters away in order to take a decent photo of the thing. :irked:

If you're serious about it as a hobby, pull over and get a better shot. I've done that countless times myself when I see that the light is just right. If someone else is driving, either ask them to stop or start walking/cycling to places. All the panic and haste in the world doesn't excuse a useless photo. If you miss it, chalk it up to fate and be better prepared next time. You don't have to be psychic, you have to be prepared.

Oh, and here's my Granturismo shot from a few years ago. I was riding along with someone else in Paris. I was already prepared for anything interesting that might come up:

aFfw3XF.jpg

I wasn't the driver, bud. :). Not my call. Ever try to pull into a cramped parking lot during rush hour down here? You're not getting out any time soon.

Following along with what's already been said, you image is so overexposed that there simply isn't any data to recover. If it had been shot RAW with a dSLR there would be hope, but a JPG file simply doesn't have the information there.

Irrelevant to recovering your specific image, but relevant in explaining the difference in what the file formats contain:

I was shooting an event for a friend who sand-drags quads. I was needing to change flash batteries as my recycle times were getting long, but I was going to limp through until the classes changed and there was a break. This happened and I shot and hoped, but the flash did not fire.

DSC_4324_zps4032c546.jpg

"OK, so what?" you are asking. Well, the image below is what I got out of the camera, but because it was RAW, there was recoverable image data in those deep dark shadows. Similarly, recoverable data would have been present in a RAW version of your image. Again, irrelevant to getting your picture, but explaining what I mean by being able (or unable) to recover detail from under- or over-exposure.

DSC_4324asshot_zps495dfa61.jpg

Following along with what's already been said, you image is so overexposed that there simply isn't any data to recover. If it had been shot RAW with a dSLR there would be hope, but a JPG file simply doesn't have the information there.

Irrelevant to recovering your specific image, but relevant in explaining the difference in what the file formats contain:

I was shooting an event for a friend who sand-drags quads. I was needing to change flash batteries as my recycle times were getting long, but I was going to limp through until the classes changed and there was a break. This happened and I shot and hoped, but the flash did not fire.

DSC_4324_zps4032c546.jpg

"OK, so what?" you are asking. Well, the image below is what I got out of the camera, but because it was RAW, there was recoverable image data in those deep dark shadows. Similarly, recoverable data would have been present in a RAW version of your image. Again, irrelevant to getting your picture, but explaining what I mean by being able (or unable) to recover detail from under- or over-exposure.

Mine was shot with a 5 megapixel nexus 7 camera :lol:. If you hit the button then move too much, it's what causes the ungodly brightness.

DSC_4324_zps4032c546.jpg

Additionally, severe underexposure is preferable to severe overexposure for digital cameras. You won't be able to recover an overexposed shot to the same degree as your example.

I wasn't the driver, bud. :). Not my call. Ever try to pull into a cramped parking lot during rush hour down here? You're not getting out any time soon.

That may be the case, but even so your lack of preparation is what cost you the shot. Download a different camera app for your Nexus so you have more control over your exposure.

Additionally, severe underexposure is preferable to severe overexposure for digital cameras. You won't be able to recover an overexposed shot to the same degree as your example.

That may be the case, but even so your lack of preparation is what cost you the shot. Download a different camera app for your Nexus so you have more control over your exposure.
I was prepared. I keep my camera up constantly. I saw it and froze. I missed a Ferrari 360 for the same reason. My thought process is, "Admire first, picture later."

lol all the comments. The pic is not fixable. It's not even too bright, it's literally white meaning no data to recover.

I was prepared. I keep my camera up constantly. I saw it and froze. I missed a Ferrari 360 for the same reason. My thought process is, "Admire first, picture later."

Which addresses nothing of what he said about understanding your exposure and how to quickly work with it. There is far more to preparation than simply having a camera on.

Which addresses nothing of what he said about understanding your exposure and how to quickly work with it. There is far more to preparation than simply having a camera on.
I'm not understanding the point... You're saying unpreparedness caused it, when I was fully prepared to take the picture?

Anyway, I didn't keep the unedited one, but the bottom half of this was pitch black when I took it.

IMG_20140909_090234.jpg

Not sure what ISO is... Exposure? Didn't mess with it. Gamma? Pretty high. Tried to add color (it's a dark green truck) but failed.

Back