Can Bob keep up?

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 72 comments
This not always the case. I was testing for the discussion on difficulty and Bob was able to win the 24 minute nurb race driving the VW VGT on sports softs. I set him to push the pace and let him do his thing. I think the car tune has a lot to do with it since the rest of the AI use cars straight from the dealership.

Did you check the standard PP for all the AI opponents cars and the PP for the VW VGT though.

Bob isnt that great when you put him in a 'same class' car. Ie. try Karts or Nascar, he's not gonna do well without babysitting

With an awesome class breaking car like a F1 GTR long tail then he's gonna kill everyone.

This is NOT like GT5 where you have a class 30-40 Bob who you trained and nurtured who drives even better than you do.

Bob isnt that great when you put him in a 'same class' car. Ie. try Karts or Nascar, he's not gonna do well without babysitting

With an awesome class breaking car like a F1 GTR long tail then he's gonna kill everyone.
On the ring in the XBow he destroys the long tail F1 GTR ;)

This is NOT like GT5 where you have a class 30-40 Bob who you trained and nurtured who drives even better than you do.
I guess that depends on who you are, level 40 Bob always fell far short of what I would do even with constant babysitting.

Bob is pretty dumb, when instructed to overtake, he floors it into a hairpin bend. Surely drivers don't take instroctions that literally?

Did you check the standard PP for all the AI opponents cars and the PP for the VW VGT though.

That race has a range, but the GT3 cars are all north of 600, close to 625. My Vw VGT is 616.

However, I then noticed in another test that the whole field will slow down to match the pace of your car. I entered a gt500 race with SH tires and I had not problem keeping up.

one of my Bob's at between 30-40 held off 2 x AMG SLS on two laps of the Ring in an AMG C63 to win

i didnt expect him to do that, i could never do that

That race has a range, but the GT3 cars are all north of 600, close to 625. My Vw VGT is 616.

However, I then noticed in another test that the whole field will slow down to match the pace of your car. I entered a gt500 race with SH tires and I had not problem keeping up.

I tried Bob today. I cut his eye teeth on the miura, then Woodone Toms Supra in a 550 pp Intntl A race, he won! The I put him in a McLaren BMW Kokasu car and turned him loose on Grand Valley. He did OK for a couple of races, a fourth, then I tweaked the car and gearbox, then the best he could do was third?!?! I had the car maxed out to 650 pp even though it was a published 600PP Touring car race, and he seemed to be lagging. He could turn 182 mph on the straight so I knew the car had enough jam, this is a bulletproof car. After watching him for three races like this, I thought maybe he would learn from example, ME, Ha Ha. I jumped in the car and turned myself loose. I passed the lead car by the end of the second lap (out of 5).
Up until that time, I hadn't been watching the lap times, but watching my own after passing the madding crowd I was turning lovely 1:43's. I thought, "OK it's time Bob, to get on the pedal here and move this car." Bob slid into the seat and turned 1:56's and one 1:54????? That's about what the lead McLaren was turning too, maybe a bit slower.

Then I started watching Bob's racing line. OH DEAR!!!!!!
I think that Bob's Mom was a lawnmower, and his Dad was a DOG. Bob seemed to spend a lot of time running his inner wheel up onto the curbing, and the grass on the inside of all slow speed corners. Perhaps he was looking for a Fire Hydrant to pee on?? Failing that, I expect he was contemplating just using the grass, as he ran those wheels over all the grass on all the slower corners. I was looking for a COMMAND, like, Get That Frikking car BACK ON THE TRACK, but I could not find anything except Overtake, accelerate, etc. etc.

Hopefully there is a way to cure this genetic trait of my Bob's driving habits. I noticed that a sign said "Drive at my own pace" at the bottom of the screen. Is it possible to change that to something more directive for SPEED??? If so, how do you do that???

Thanks for any help Guys and Gals,
Pete

Last edited:
Then I started watching Bob's racing line. OH DEAR!!!!!!
I think that Bob's Mom was a lawnmower, and his Dad was a DOG. Bob seemed to spend a lot of time running his inner wheel up onto the curbing, and the grass on the inside of all slow speed corners. Perhaps he was looking for a Fire Hydrant to pee on?? Failing that, I expect he was contemplating just using the grass, as he ran those wheels over all the grass on all the slower corners. I was looking for a COMMAND, like, Get That Frikking car BACK ON THE TRACK, but I could not find anything except Overtake, accelerate, etc. etc.

They just follow the driving line. The problem with the driving line is that it is set up in an editor and the designer will have to guesstimate where to put it.

I don't know why the AI is so slow in the corners. There is no reason why they can't be just as fast as real people, given that they are using the same physics engine. There is something in there that makes them slow down a crazy amount.

Bob speed is this:

Nurburgring Suzuki Swift CS tires (Jann challange) - 9'58 with my help, probably around 10'20 without any input. That's over a minute difference to competitive players.

Laguna Seca Alfa Brera - no lap times, I only remember Bob being slower than me by 7 seconds. My lap wasn't anything special too - I was easily 2 seconds off my best.

That's freaking 7 seconds on a short track :lol:

It's like they stopped working on AI altogether years ago.

[24 minutes of the nurburgring: He can easily win with no babysitting with an upgraded LCC rocket, but make sure you A: don't own any wet weather tires, and B: set his pace to 'push the pace' (the middle one).[/QUOTE]

For some reason wet weather tires seem to be slower than intermediate or racing soft, even on heavy rain.

I was struggling on Intermediate A RainMasters on Nürburgring using quite a few cars (usually finished 5th, once got to 3rd). Then I found this thread and tried Racing Soft tires. The X-Box Street '12 was running between 10:35 and 10:40 on wet tires, and won in 10:06 on racing soft tires.

This was on B-Spec.

I checked on A-Spec, and found that A-Spec Intermediate A RainMasters at SPA I felt Racing Soft got more grip than wet tires, even on heavy rain. At SPA, the track is almost dry by the end of the race, and wet tires spin so much on the dry track.

If Racing Soft are faster than wet tires, both on A-Spec and B-Spec under heavy rain, what are wet tires made for ???

Yves

wasting 60 grand, that's what wet tyres are made for
also Bob will win in a McLaren F1 or Furai, or TS030, just like we will. Problem is the cheapest (furai) is something like 10x costlier than an xbow. And mine has done 6000km...

Back