Can i change the GPU of the acer predator g3620?

• Thread starter turk1993
  • 16 comments
Belgium
Belgium
so i have a acer predator g6320 with 8gb ddr 1333mhz ram, i7 3770 stock 3.4ghz & gtx 670 2gb. I want to upgrade to a gtx 970 but i read that i cant because the mobo of acer dont allow hardware changes. So i have searcht it en some people say that i need the disable secure boot to make it work but im not sure. If somebody could help me with this i will be verry happy.

CPU Socket LGA 1155/Socket H2 The socket defines which CPUs are compatible and will fit into the motherboard
CPU Compatible Make Intel This is the manufacturer of the CPUs that are compatible with this motherboard
CPU Chipset H67 Express This is the name of the chipset, the parts of the motherboard circuit that manage data flow between PC components
Form Factor ATX Form factor is the motherboard's physical size standard, which dictates what cases it will fit into and can limit expansion capabilities
Max RAM 16 GB DDR3 This is the maximum amount of RAM the motherboard can accommodate
RAM Slots 4 x DDR3 This is how many slots there are for the different RAM types in this motherboard
Memory Channels 2 Multi-channel memory architecture increases memory data transfer speeds
Compatible RAM Speeds
  • DDR3 1333 MHz
The motherboard is compatible with only these types of RAM
USB 2.0 Internal Slots 2 Internal USB 2.0 slots are useful for long-term USB solutions such as case connections
USB 2.0 Rear 4 Back slots are designed to be accessed from the back of the case, and is generally where basic peripherals are connected
USB 3.0 Internal 2 Internal USB 3.0 slots are useful for long-term USB solutions via the improved 3.0 interface
USB 3.0 Rear 2 USB 3.0 slots provide faster data transfer than USB 2.0 and are backwards compatible
Graphics Card Interface PCIe v2.x The graphics card interface is the specific technology the motherboard uses to communicate with the graphics card
SLI Support 0 graphics cards SLI support allows your motherboard to utilize multiple connected Nvidia graphics cards for improved performance
Crossfire Support 0 graphics cards Crossfire support allows your motherboard to utilize multiple connected AMD graphics cards for improved performance
Onboard GPU no If you wish to support integrated graphics you would need a motherboard with a graphics chip or a complete GPU solution such as an AMD APU
PCI Slots
  • 3 x PCIe x1
  • 1 x PCIe x16
PCI slots are hardware containers that can be used to house any compatible PCI component
SATA 1.0 0 Serial ATA (SATA) 1.0 is an old technology used to connect slower hard drives
SATA 2.0 0 Serial ATA (SATA) 2.0 is still commonly used for theoretical hard drive speeds of up to 3GB/s
SATA 3.0 0 Serial ATA (SATA) 3.0 is an increasingly popular hard drive standard that can theoretically reach hard drive speeds of up to 6GB/s
RAID Support yes RAID support allows you to use RAID for multiple hard drives to provide either backups or extra performance speed
Internal I/O
  • 1 x 24 pin power connector
  • 1 x 4 pin power connector
  • 1 x 4 pin fan connector
  • 1 x fan header
  • System Panel Connection
These are the internal connections for items such as fans and power
Back Panel I/O
  • D-Sub Connector
  • Line In Connector
  • Line Out Connector
  • Mic In connector
  • Audio Input Output
  • PS/2 keyboard connector
  • PS/2 mouse connector
These are the back panel connections primarily for peripherals such as speakers

You do not need to disable secure boot

It is a desktop unit, you just need to plug in a PCIe Video card that will fit inside the case and make sure you have enough power connectors for it as without power a new GPU is useless

They will be a 6 pin type with 3 on top 3 on bottom(3x2 type)
the pin outs will be
+12v - + 12v - +12v
GND -- GND -- GND

If you can get a full size card inside that needs a 8 pin(4x2) the pin outs are

the pin outs will be
+12v - + 12v - +12v - GND
GND -- GND -- GND -- GND

pcieplugdiagramoa5.png

You do not need to disable secure boot

It is a desktop unit, you just need to plug in a PCIe Video card that will fit inside the case and make sure you have enough power connectors for it as without power a new GPU is useless

the pin outs will be
+12v - + 12v - +12v
GND -- GND -- GND

If you can get a full size card inside that needs a 8 pin(4x2) the pin outs are

the pin outs will be
+12v - + 12v - +12v - GND
GND -- GND -- GND -- GND

pcieplugdiagramoa5.png
thnx i hope you right cuz i read on some sites that they have problems with it.

You're replacing hardware.

Hardware is pretty much plug and play.

Now the mainboard is an acer but still same logic applies

Remove old card
Install new card
Boot
Install drivers

The main concern is does the PSU have the power, to power a new GPU.

Most OEMs put in a PSU that just scrapes the barrel in terms of power needs

You're replacing hardware.

Hardware is pretty much plug and play.

Now the mainboard is an acer but still same logic applies

Remove old card
Install new card
Boot
Install drivers

The main concern is does the PSU have the power, to power a new GPU.

Most OEMs put in a PSU that just scrapes the barrel in terms of power needs
The PSU is 500W so thats enough

Well hang on...

Some manufacturers do fudge the motherboards to prevent upgrades. It is infuriating. I came across it when I tried to upgrade a friends HP a while back.

If you've read that this could be an issue I wouldn't shell out on a card just yet. I would suggest trying to find one to test with. Perhaps a friend has one that you can borrow?

Well hang on...

Some manufacturers do fudge the motherboards to prevent upgrades. It is infuriating. I came across it when I tried to upgrade a friends HP a while back.

If you've read that this could be an issue I wouldn't shell out on a card just yet. I would suggest trying to find one to test with. Perhaps a friend has one that you can borrow?
No, but i have a gt 630 4gb from my old pc. I really want to upgrade to a gtx 970. I need to play pcars at high to ultra setting at 1080p 60fps.

Maybe it's worth putting it in as a test.
I will but its so much work i need to delete all of the drivers of my gtx670 then i need the disable secure boot plus unplug the card en replace it. Oh well i dont have any other option.:indiff:

Worst case.

Get your self a new mainboard that uses the same CPU, and stick in the video card(as long as it can fit.)
Then you will have yourself a decent looking case without crapcer mainboard inside, but you may need to reinstall windows for 2 reasons drivers(there is a way to install them without a reinstall of windows) and the bios tattooing wont match.

Open it up and see how much room there is for the graphics card that's in there. If the inside of the computer case is a bit cramped (not uncommon with prebuilt systems), you might not want to get a new graphics card that is physically bigger than the one you have, just to make sure it'll fit. Don't worry though, you can usually get more powerful graphics cards without increasing their physical sizes.

When it comes to your power supply, you could compare the power consumption of your old 670 with the new 970. I *think* the 970 is also the lite-version of the 980, like the 670 is to the 680, so chances are the new 970 won't use a significantly higher amount of power. Power consumption can be checked online, usually in hardware reviews, prior to buying the parts.

PSUs are selected to give you a bit of headroom, so a GPU that consumes 20 watts more than the old isn't going to break it. Circumstancial, i know, but when I checked the power consumption of the PC i had in 2010, which was an overclocked core 2 quad with 3 HDDs and an 8800 GT, it was barely even using 200 watts while I was playing a pretty new game. The PSU i had at that time could have delivered 500W if needed.

The 8800 GT was an old card, but even if my new card had consumed 100 watts more, my PSU would have had few problems keeping up.

edit: i actually looked this up on nvidia's website just now. 8800 GT had a maximum power consumption of 105 watts. GTX 970 has a maximum power consumption of 145 watts even if the card was released over 5 years later. Your old GTX 670 actually has a maximum power consumption of 170 watts, so the new and more powerful card is actually easier on your PSU than what you have now.

But yeah, PSUs are often very overdimensioned, usually to be able to deal with power use spikes that sometimes happen when you turn the computer on and every single component inside it wants to power on at the same time, for then to enter low-power states until you actually need them. The only problem is poor quality PSUs that are rated at for example 500 watts, but can't deliver even 300 of these to the parts that actually need them.

Last edited:
Guys you're misaing the point completely. IF it can be upgraded cool if it can't it will be a new build. there's no point tryin out new boards Orr new cards just to upgrade it in a bit part fashion.

Guys you're misaing the point completely. IF it can be upgraded cool if it can't it will be a new build. there's no point tryin out new boards Orr new cards just to upgrade it in a bit part fashion.
Youre right, if i cant upgrade i will go on with my GTX670 for another year. After that i wil build my own pc with better parts that is future proof.

Back