Can the XBOX store mods, and downloads for games?

my freind at school says that the X-box already has a 8GB hard drive and internet ready, he says it can store mods and downloads.

Is this true?

Sort of true. DOA3 has some added content with the use of the HD (costumes and such) but so far I haven't seen it in other games. Maybe when Xbox live comes out, and a few FPS shooters hit the stores they'll have some mapmaking features you can download. At this point though, the HD looks pretty over rated.
And as for Downloads, not likely. I don't think the Xbox is going to have connectivity to the internet.

hmmm, i might have overestimated the capabilites of the XBOX, well now you have told me, i won't get one, not just becaus eof the mods, but because of the lack of good uses for the HD that is available.
Cheers Tom M

I wish they would drop the 8 gig drive and put in like a 1 or 2 gig drive so that the price of the Xbox dropped a lot. An 8 gig HD should be optional, like you can buy it if you need it type thing.

Lot's of games cache to the HD on the Xbox, and I think that you need to Install Semi Permanant files for Lord of the Rings, so the HD is pretty much a must havefor the Xbox.
Oh and... Meglomaniac, don't let our resident Xbox fanboy/PR idiot (and nothing else) let you know I talked you out of it, he'll bite me on the ankles. ;)
Don't get me wrong, games like Halo are excellent, and are totally unavailable as of yet on any other platform, including the PC. But I just think that for all the technology and power it has, the games have been extremely disappointing from a quality standpoint. (with 2 or 3 exceptions)

I think it should have been an option though, not everyone is going to go online with their Xbox, and they means they got suckered into buying an 8gig HD for nothing.

The hard drive is the storage unit. It replaces memory cards. It also houses the trimmed down Windows 2000 operating system. Making the hard drive an option is not an option.

Nah, 2 gigs would be worthless, The Xbox can store up to 200 songs, which would take a sizeable chunk of that. Not to mention that as other games need to install files, you'd eat 2 gigs really fast. I've got about a dozen PC games that install more than 1.5 gigs onto my HD at install. While the xbox won't need that much, I'll bet you've got games in the works that will use hundreds.

2gb vs. 8gb in today's market is a matter of a few bucks. Would you buy an 8gb hard drive today, assuming you could even find one? A 40gb will run you $80 retail at somewhere like Best Buy and it's the smallest they've got. Even if it runs $2/gb, it's a $16 drive (and, because there is no demand for an 8gb drive, of which there are a large supply, they're going to be cheaper than that). A 2gb at that rate would be worth $4, saving a meager $12.

And, even with this savings, MS wouldn't price them any cheaper since they admittedly lose money on the consoles just like Sony and Nintendo. They may have priced them down to $200 sooner or offered the package deal sooner, but it would've been the same price at launch and the same price now. If the market says $150-$200 for a game console, then that's what is going to be paid.

The 8gb hard drive allows for more save information and - with games actually designed to save multiple times on the same storage device - prevents the need for yet another $30+ being spent by the purchaser.

I'm a little shocked when I realize I spent more for a PS2 with two games, two controllers, and a memory card than I did for an Xbox with two games, two controllers, and a built in hard drive. That only gets worse when I realize I've bought three memory cards now for the PS2 and it still only has 3% of the storage capacity of the Xbox.

The difference to Microsoft between a 2 and 8gig drive will be at most $5. If that.

I've bought three memory cards now for the PS2 and it still only has 3% of the storage capacity of the Xbox.

Wrose, do your maths again, it's 0.3% :)

Actually, newer Xbox' ship with 20GB hard drives because it's more cost effective(cheaper). Don't get too excited though, because MS locks all the new ones to the 8GB limitation.

And to add to the original question, several games are out now which will have extra downloadable content next month. One gripe is that in addition to paying for the Live! service, most games will charge you for downloading the extras (Unreal for one.)

this is a little off the sub.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 22

Latest Posts

Back