GTPlanet Downloads for Assetto Corsa Mods — Now Available!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 18 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
Today marks the beta launch of GTPlanet Downloads, a new library to host files and mods for a wide variety of sim-racing games.

What is it?
  • Free, unlimited file hosting for sim-racing game mods and files
  • Public downloads — no registration required!
  • Upload files up to 10GB in size
  • High-speed uploads and downloads
  • Enterprise-grade infrastructure with multi-gigabit connectivity
  • Full integration with the GTPlanet Forums, including user reviews, file versioning and updates, and dedicated discussion threads
How can I access it?

You can view GTPlanet Downloads here, and download a sample file here.

Once the beta testing period has ended, Downloads will be fully integrated as a major section of the site.

Can I upload files?

Yes, please do!

The Assetto Corsa category will be the first opened during the beta period. Categories for more games will be added soon to meet demand. If you just want to test things out, feel free to upload any type of file to the Test Category (note test files may be deleted after beta testing ends). To upload a file, click the green "Add resource" button near the top of each category page.

How long will the beta last?

The beta period is a soft launch phase designed to test the infrastructure and software, find bugs, and to populate our download library with files before its "grand opening" to the wider public. Assuming everything goes well, the beta period will last a few weeks.

How can I help?

Please try uploading and downloading files and share your experiences in this thread, along with any questions or issues you find.

Thanks for your help!

:gtpflag:

Is there a list of acceptable file types somewhere? I have just tried to upload but it won't accept a .rar file. Thanks

Edit: I've just seen that it should accept .rar files, but when I select the file for upload it says 'Could not start upload: File rejected due to invalid file type.'

Last edited:
First and foremost, I would like to commend you on the development of the new file upload feature. I have tested it out, and I am impressed with the speedy download experience. It is undoubtedly a valuable addition to the platform.

However, I believe it is of utmost importance that all users considering utilizing GTPlanet as a file host take the time to carefully review the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) and Terms of Service (TOS). In doing so, I have come across a few sections that raise concerns and warrant clarification.

One particular excerpt from the AUP states, "By posting any content to the forums covered by intellectual property rights, including text, photos, and videos, you grant GTPlanet a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and fully sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology."

This provision effectively means that upon uploading a track to GTPlanet, I forfeit my right to prevent any editing or redistribution of the content by GTPlanet or any sub-licensee. As a mod creator, this raises concerns about the level of control and ownership I retain over my creations. It would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light on this matter and provide insights into how the platform respects the rights of content creators. And what. If any guarantees you can give that means you’re not going to go out and sell a modders hard work to a random game publisher.

Furthermore, the AUP includes a rule that states, "You will not post advertisements or solicitations outside of designated areas or without proper authorization." I seek clarification on whether the Upload section is considered a "designated area" or if it strictly prohibits the sharing of links to external platforms such as Patreon. As some creators rely on their content creation as a source of income, understanding the limitations and possibilities for monetization is crucial. For instance, RaceDepartment permits the placement of PayPal donate buttons on specific catalogue pages for uploaded mods. It would be beneficial to have clarity on what options are available within GTPlanet's framework.

I appreciate the effort and dedication invested in providing the community with this new feature. By addressing these concerns and clarifying the terms outlined in the AUP and TOS, you would not only demonstrate your commitment to the user community but also foster an environment that supports and respects content creators.

If those concerns were adressed I see no reason why this wouldn't become my primary hosting platform, as download speeds are a #1 priority when track sizes start to get large.

Thanks!
Ty

Last edited:
Is there a list of acceptable file types somewhere? I have just tried to upload but it won't accept a .rar file. Thanks

Edit: I've just seen that it should accept .rar files, but when I select the file for upload it says 'Could not start upload: File rejected due to invalid file type.'
Yes, a list of accepted file types is displayed below the file selection button.

Currently supported formats include .zip .rar .7z .pdf .jpg .png .svg.

Thanks for bringing this bug to my attention. I have just fixed the issue with RAR file validation; please try again!

One particular excerpt from the AUP states, "By posting any content to the forums covered by intellectual property rights, including text, photos, and videos, you grant GTPlanet a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and fully sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology."

This provision effectively means that upon uploading a track to GTPlanet, I forfeit my right to prevent any editing or redistribution of the content by GTPlanet or any sub-licensee. As a mod creator, this raises concerns about the level of control and ownership I retain over my creations. It would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light on this matter and provide insights into how the platform respects the rights of content creators. And what. If any guarantees you can give that means you’re not going to go out and sell a modders hard work to a random game publisher.
You retain ownership and copyright of your work by default. I will add that to the text of the AUP to make it more clear.

As stated in the excerpt, you are granting a non-exclusive license for GTPlanet to publish your files, which is required for the service to operate. I am not a lawyer, but would presume explicitly re-selling a file would be illegal.

It should be noted you will find similar terms from any site which hosts user content, including:

RaceDepartment:
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
MediaFire:
To enable MediaFire to provide the Services, it is necessary for you to hereby grant MediaFire a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable limited license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, or display Content in connection with the Services.
YouTube:
By providing Content to the Service, you grant to YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license to use that Content (including to reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works, display and perform it) in connection with the Service and YouTube’s (and its successors' and Affiliates') business, including for the purpose of promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service.
Furthermore, the AUP includes a rule that states, "You will not post advertisements or solicitations outside of designated areas or without proper authorization." I seek clarification on whether the Upload section is considered a "designated area" or if it strictly prohibits the sharing of links to external platforms such as Patreon. As some creators rely on their content creation as a source of income, understanding the limitations and possibilities for monetization is crucial. For instance, RaceDepartment permits the placement of PayPal donate buttons on specific catalogue pages for uploaded mods. It would be beneficial to have clarity on what options are available within GTPlanet's framework.
Yes, links to platforms like Patreon or PayPal are allowed.

I will add a "Donate" field to each resource to make this more clear, and the link will appear as a tab at the top of the resource page in the page template. I have updated my sample file to show the Donate tab in action.

Yes, a list of accepted file types is displayed below the file selection button.

Currently supported formats include .zip .rar .7z .pdf .jpg .png .svg.

Thanks for bringing this bug to my attention. I have just fixed the issue with RAR file validation; please try again!

You retain ownership and copyright of your work by default. I will add that to the text of the AUP to make it more clear.

As stated in the excerpt, you are granting a non-exclusive license for GTPlanet to publish your files, which is required for the service to operate. I am not a lawyer, but would presume explicitly re-selling a file would be illegal.

It should be noted you will find similar terms from any site which hosts user content, including:

RaceDepartment:

MediaFire:

YouTube:

Yes, links to platforms like Patreon or PayPal are allowed.

I will add a "Donate" field to each resource to make this more clear, and the link will appear as a tab at the top of the resource page in the page template. I have updated my sample file to show the Donate tab in action.
This clears everything up a lot! Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns. This is exactly what we wanted to hear 🙂

Last edited:
Just fixed a bug which would have prevented members of the public from downloading mods in the Assetto Corsa category.

This has been fixed, so you no longer need to be signed in to a GTPlanet account in order to download those files.

Last edited:
Only just seeing this now... Fantastic idea, Jordan. GTPlanet's about to grow... :D

I don't know about anyone else but I'm so fed up of the minefield of MediaFire links and share mods links (although share mods seems to be one of the better ones...) and being afraid of a virus just from even looking at the site. They always seem so... dodgy.

Can't wait to see what becomes of it.

Thanks to the hundreds of you who have already uploaded files to help test out this new platform, and thanks to the thousands of you who have already downloaded files! I'm bringing GTPlanet Downloads out of beta today, but please continue to let me know if you run into any new bugs or issues.

Now, what game should we support next? :D

Introducing GTPlanet Downloads: Fast, Free File Hosting for Racing Game Mods

Assetto Corsa has long been one of the most popular games discussed in the GTPlanet Forums, and one topic in particular has always stood out. The Assetto Corsa PC Mods General Discussion thread is one of the most active in our community, boasting over 30 million views and 123,000 messages alone...

Last edited:
Thanks to the hundreds of you who have already uploaded files to help test out this new platform, and thanks to the thousands of you who have already downloaded files! I'm bringing GTPlanet Downloads out of beta today, but please continue to let me know if you run into any new bugs or issues.

Assetto Corsa has long been one of the most popular games discussed in the GTPlanet Forums, and one topic in particular has always stood out. The Assetto Corsa PC Mods General Discussion thread is one of the most active in our community, boasting over 30 million views and 123,000 messages alone...
Could be cool to do something like a "Mod of the week" article or something?
Could encourage better quality mods, more uploads for a chance to be featured!

Then maybe give a wee badge or something to a modder that's been featured, meaning then people know they're top quality mods.

(God knows some people are picky...)

Last edited:

200.webp

Jerome

**** yes.

I never knew of this being in the works, but one of my least favorite things to do was going through those sim racing mod sites and getting inundated by their terrible, cluttered layouts.

Now, I only read that Assetto Corsa mod thread to gawk at dysfunction as of now :sly:, but I will definitely give this a look. Good stuff. :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back