Can we beat real life best lap times?

New Zealand
New Zealand
Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted to match or beat laptimes on some of the world tracks, with the closest possible in game equivalent of the real life car?
I'm guessing plenty of people have done the GTR on the ring, as per GT5.

If anyone is looking for inspiration, Greg Murphy done 2:06.8594 around Mt Panorama in a Holden V8 supercar back in 2003.

So who can achieve the same or better, in the nearest in game equivalent?
The setup would be the 2000 Ford (AU) Falcon XR8, standard power, and weight, and I'm guessing racing hard tyres.
No Aids of any kind allowed.
Is it possible?
I know I can't do it!

It would be interesting to make this a regular thing, beating the GTC records at Suzuka, the DTM or GT3 records at Spa etc!

there is a perfect thread for this already .. i'll try to find it ...

I found this one ... but its only about the Ring ... I think there is more

Maybe another member remembers and would like to help?

This thread also has the same angle ... maybe you like it too...

Last edited:
Is the holden in the game an exact match for power and weight to the car in the video?

For an accurate comparison, we can't just arbitrarily guess at racing hard tires.

To answer your question though, any good GT player will beat good real life time as long as the cars and tracks and tires are the same. You can drive waaaay harder in gt6 than in real life, due in part to the slightly wonky physics in gt6, and also due in part to the sphincter pucker factor that occurs in real life.

The Ford Falcon in the game should be the same specs as the car in the video.
I guessed racing hards, because from what I can remember they never had qualifying tyres or anything, just used the same tyres as they would for the race. Bathurst is a 1,000km race and the cars don't pit too often which lead me to think hards is most likely to be accurate.

I think I did a 2:04 after like 3 laps a few months ago. Don't remember the time, but all aids were off.

Checked out the specs the super cars have close to if not more then 500 hp I can run a 2:03 in my m3csl at 550 pp 484 ish hp seems very possible to me.

This should be EASY, given the fact that there is absolutely no fear involved with a video game, and you have unlimited restarts, grip, etc. A fruitless endeavor, games just aren't that good yet.

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted to match or beat laptimes on some of the world tracks, with the closest possible in game equivalent of the real life car?

Some drivers on GT6 are way slower than pro drivers, yet another reason lap times would be skewed.

If somebody want it. Here you can find tons of lap records. You can also see car specs to compare with the ingame cars.. have fun!

VBR
Some drivers on GT6 are way slower than pro drivers, yet another reason lap times would be skewed.

OK, OK! I don't need reminding. So I'm slow. Don't tell everyone!! ;)

I think the tyres in the game give more grip than the equivalent real life tyres so a race hard tyre in the game would not be equivalent to a racing slick.

I had a lot of fun in one of the Junior Red Bulls around Brands Hatch Indy on comfort tyres - trying to replicate more of a junior Formula car feel. With a Red Bull Junior on racing tyres a good player (not me) would be close to the Brands Indy lap record for an F1 car held by Scott Mansell of 38 seconds.

On a kind of opposite theme , I remember watching Jeremy Clarkson on top gear trying to match his ps2 lap time on Laguna secs in an nsx. I can't remember if he did or not but it was good to watch.

On a kind of opposite theme , I remember watching Jeremy Clarkson on top gear trying to match his ps2 lap time on Laguna secs in an nsx. I can't remember if he did or not but it was good to watch.

He didn't.

Not even close, actually. 1:41 in the game, 1:57 with the real thing. As others have mentioned, there's no pucker factor in the game. Plus, the tires just plain grip better in the game.

As for the V8 Aussie Supercars at Bathurst, I managed a 2:06.019, which beat the time in the OP's video and pretty much proves that you can go faster in the game than in real life since there's no friggin' way I'd be able to duplicate that or even get remotely close to it in real life. :)

Someone should do the Dodge Viper ACR 08' at Laguna Seca
You must do it in:
-Cockpit
-All aids off (includes ABS)
-HUD off
-CS Tires
*P.S. Obviously since theres no fear factor in the game, downgrading the tires would be a better solution.

My ACR-X replica is capable to replicate real life lap time at Laguna Seca, pretty close too :), it's all about replicating the specs as close as possible, and using appropriate tires that has similar grip to real life. So far most of my replicas are built to replicate real life lap times in mind, and they drive very close ( usually comfort to sports tires - no aids including no brake assist ) From my experience, I never have to use sports soft tires if the car IRL has non slick tire, except for Maserati MC Trofeo which has hard slick IRL and GT6 equivalent is sports soft.

While I'm certain I don't stand a chance of doing it, I can't help but think tire selection would be a point of contention. If one can be certain everything is equal, it seems very possible because the thought of pushing limits is less daunting in a game. Then again, in real life you're much more aware of your surroundings and where the car is positioned on the track--you're also much more aware of how the chassis is responding to the track and your own inputs. Very interesting subject.

Back