Gran Turismo 6 vs Reality @ Nürburgring Nordschleife… (116 GT6 cars with real-life Ring lap times)

• Thread starter Vag Gomez
  • 68 comments
Greece
Athens, Greece
vagom777
This thread is dedicated to those of us who love Nürburgring Nordschleife, one of the most rewarding tracks of the world.

Ever since its introduction in GT4, and up to now in GT6, one of my favorite challenges has been to test the Gran Turismo virtual cars and their physics, against their real life official timings at the Ring.

Out of the 1.240 cars of GT6, 116 have registered real-life lap times in Nürburgring.
(Check out fastestlaps.com for more details and info)

After The Complete GT6 Car List project was completed, I decided to create and share with all GTPlanet members a full list of those 116 cars, so we can all test both our skills and the GT6’s new physics against reality.

There is only one rule: all cars have to be in STOCK form, apart from the typical oil change.
Stock tires only, and all aids OFF (apart from ABS=1).

Next is a sample of the first page of the list:
upload_2014-1-16_21-46-2.jpeg

I am uploading both a printable pdf and the original xls file.

Print it out if you like, and enjoy driving!

Let me know what you think, and post your own lap times (don’t cheat!)

Edit (17 Jan 2014):

Thank you all for your nice words.

I see that many of you disagree in the basic rule of STOCK tires.
Well, you have a point, but on the other hand what is interesting for me is to check how close to reality a car is, exactly as it was built by PD.
Yes, there will be differences, and probably by some mild tuning (tires and suspension), they will be eliminated. But that’s not the point…

What I tried was to provide a useful tool for all of us. A test sheet that you can use in anyway you feel. You can, for example, use the first column “My Time 1” for STOCK testing and use the others for modifications. You can also add more columns to the right…

Explore and enjoy the game (or the simulator, as PD prefers to call it)…

As for the all aids OFF rule (someone said that since modern cars have them, we should keep them on), I think that if we had a chance of a real track day experience at the Ring, we would all turn them off, as the real testers do in order to get the maximum performance out of any given car.

Have fun, everybody :cheers:.

Attachments

• Nürburgring.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Nürburgring.xls
    46.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Reserved, for my own lap times.
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Premium Package '07 (STOCK) = 7:58,5
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M. EDITION SCP '99 (STOCK) = 7:59,0
  • Caterham R500 '08 (Custom-SH) = 7:41,0
  • BMW M4 Coupé '14 (STOCK) = 7:35,2
  • Honda S2000 '06 (STOCK) = 8:24,8
  • Volkswagen Scirocco R '10 (STOCK) = 8:11,2

Last edited:
I think your testing is wrong in just one point, the suspension used in the road cars are set up diferently, i started a thread in the tuning forum yesterday(mostly for my own reference) that displays such oem setups. So far only a few nsx's, evora, vws and r8.
So far only tested the Evora and nsx , and both took really well the setups. Nsx makes you move the wheel just like the senna driving footage and evora is pretty fun too!

You'll never get similar times with stock tires. The tires that come with the car in the game always have more grip than their real counterparts.

I do by myself something similar to what you're trying to do but inverted. I take laps in Nordschleife with different compounds, compare with real ones and try to find the closest tire compound to the one in real life.

Looks like I have another assignment on my to do list, and check out those Audi R8s to see if they're driveable.

And thanks for the work with the timing sheets, very nice work.

I think your testing is wrong in just one point, the suspension used in the road cars are set up diferently, i started a thread in the tuning forum yesterday(mostly for my own reference) that displays such oem setups. So far only a few nsx's, evora, vws and r8.
So far only tested the Evora and nsx , and both took really well the setups. Nsx makes you move the wheel just like the senna driving footage and evora is pretty fun too!

You'll never get similar times with stock tires. The tires that come with the car in the game always have more grip than their real counterparts.

I do by myself something similar to what you're trying to do but inverted. I take laps in Nordschleife with different compounds, compare with real ones and try to find the closest tire compound to the one in real life.

Yes, but this is the best form of comparison nonetheless.

Great idea. However, the results will be skewed as many cars in GT6 come with stock tyres that don't correspond to their real world counterparts tyres as regards lateral g readings. That is; some stock tyres will provide more grip, other less. Also, many drivers who submit times may not be as fast as the pro drivers who recorded the real world times.

I think it's a great idea as a bit of fun, but it's not really gonna tell us much about GT6's new physics vs reality.

Looks like I have another assignment on my to do list, and check out those Audi R8s to see if they're driveable.

And thanks for the work with the timing sheets, very nice work.
I haven' tried the 5.2 V10 R8 yet after the latest update, but I drove the 4.2 V8 version last nite at the ring and it's very easy to drive, no more snap understeer. I only did 2 laps managed 8:01 hit the barrier once, could have done alot better.

This thread may turn out to be a very valuable source for documentation in regards to future physics updates' effects on individual cars'/ drivetrains'/ tyres' performance.

Good work VG 👍
Very good point... wish we did it before 1.03 and after

VBR
I think it's a great idea as a bit of fun, but it's not really gonna tell us much about GT6's new physics vs reality.
While this is true per se, and nothing is really like being in a real car, a collation of data from competent drivers should yield something of value.

Hello,

interesting thread.
In Germany there is a popular car magazin called "Sport-Auto".
Unfortuately only in German language.
They got a so called "Supertest" including a lap at the Nordschleife.
One of the drivers is Horst von Sauma. You find some of his laptimes at "fastestlaps.com".
Interesting is a map of every hotlap with the measured top- and corner speeds.
And there is list of laptimes where you can see if they used "stock" or "Sport" tyres.

Laptimes

map_example

A click on a car in the list will show you the complete test.
Then, on the left side, you can find a link named "2. Wertung" that will guide you to the map.

Overall Topspeed is at "Döttinger Höhe".

Its my first post here, I am old and german ;)
So please cut me some slack.

Andi

Yes, but this is the best form of comparison nonetheless.

My point is that if you're going to use stock tires, the comparison with reality becomes pointless and this thread starts to make no sense as there is at least one other thread of Nordschleife lap times in stock cars.

My suggestion would be that we use stock cars with stock tires or lower. Then we might have something to compare with reality.

Another thing to consider is that most times are from the 20,600 m segment and not the hole lap like GT6 registers.

My point is that if you're going to use stock tires, the comparison with reality becomes pointless and this thread starts to make no sense as there is at least one other thread of Nordschleife lap times in stock cars.

My suggestion would be that we use stock cars with stock tires or lower. Then we might have something to compare with reality.

Another thing to consider is that most times are from the 20,600 m segment and not the hole lap like GT6 registers.
Yeah, lots of cars used extreme semi-slick tires to do the lap (example: Chevrolets Corvettes & Camaros), which are road legal but you can hardly call them "stock everyday tires", and what would be the equivalent in GT6? Sports soft?
Also, how can we know if these cars had TC on or off?

Also on the ring there is a very big diference in the tarmac(quality and day condition) and needs much more knowledge to go fast (or you die...) and 3 nuts, if you know what i mean.
Here you crash, you go to the fridge, get a coke and go back again...
Most cars use tc off, but surely because of driver preference and experience. However, if he doesn't like a car because it doesn't make him confortable, it will reflect in his laptimes.

Think a lot of people just presume its harder in real life . In my experience it's not.
I can't give a time for the ring but my real life time round Spa in my Elise is 2.55. I couldn't get anywhere near that time on gt5 in a similarly spec'd car.

Think a lot of people just presume its harder in real life . In my experience it's not.
I can't give a time for the ring but my real life time round Spa in my Elise is 2.55. I couldn't get anywhere near that time on gt5 in a similarly spec'd car.
People always talk of the lack of fear you have in the game compared to real life, but they often forget that IRL the driver has a lot more input and feedback from the car so, for a good driver, it must be harder to lose control than in game, I presume.

It would be useful to know what tyres those cars were using, and what the GT6 equivalent is.
I think we decided that PS Sport Cups and most other semislicks are Sports Soft, and the RE070 and most other good sport road tyres are Sports Medium?

That said, this is a great idea and I am horribly disappointed in myself that my tuned Zonda R time that I'm so proud of... is 10 seconds slower than the stock Zonda R time. what

Last edited:
Whatever they maybe called, some companies, offer dual thread patter/compounds to a car, its not simply slapping cs, or ss tires and go. But from a michelin pss up you can call tires sport. Cars i know have such tires i will run sh sm , gimme half an hour i'll post some times.
Edit
nsx "honda oem tuning" first lap out, other than 2 almost spins was a consistent lap and comparable to the real life time
evora "lotus oem tuning" one lap deal, couple mistakes, twitchier but faster on turns, slower on straights than nsx
Nsx 8:16 8:19
Evora ??? 8.08

Last edited:
It would be useful to know what tyres those cars were using, and what the GT6 equivalent is.
I think we decided that PS Sport Cups and most other semislicks are Sports Soft, and the RE070 and most other good sport road tyres are Sports Medium?

That said, this is a great idea and I am horribly disappointed in myself that my tuned Zonda R time that I'm so proud of... is 10 seconds slower than the stock Zonda R time. what
Comfort medium will give the closest to real life grip levels in general.

That's ridiculously low grip for some cars, and ridiculously high for others.
I saw the skidpad thread you are referring to, and agree with his math, which says that some cars are correct with CM or other tyres up to and including SS.

Surely cars like the LFA, Zonda, etc come on better tyres than CMs...
Surely cars like the Kei stuff come on worse tyres than CHs (if Zondas come on CMs, anyway)...

Last edited:
Tires have been receiving lots and lots of attention and the grip level some tires can reach today is as good as 70-80's f1. From bi-tri-compound tires to Mclaren p1 pirellis, wich are capable of over 2g lateral,
gtr's tires are stickier than most street/track tires,
nsx is dual compound(f/r)
lambos/r8s come width 2 thread patterns and compounds, one for the front another rear.
Porsches have N tires wich are made to suit a porsche,
and even the craziest tire i've heard about this year, a slick intermediate tire... No grooves, nothing,and ran very nicely at 24h lemans.
So in my opinion its not so black and white.

Can you post on my thread or pm the elise oem alignment setup and yours (if you tweaked) for track use?

Did someone noticed that some of the times in fastestlaps.com are actually from Gran Turismo?

The Ferrari Enzo (the one with the time 6:56.248) has the additional comments: "Stock, No oil change, Sport Soft Tires, All assists off except ABS = 1."

And the Bugatti Veyron (7:09.562) has: "Stock except for DFGT steering wheel."

I can't believe people are posting virtual laps on a site where it was supposed to have only real laps.

Hello,

interesting thread.
In Germany there is a popular car magazin called "Sport-Auto".
Unfortuately only in German language.
They got a so called "Supertest" including a lap at the Nordschleife.
One of the drivers is Horst von Sauma. You find some of his laptimes at "fastestlaps.com".
Interesting is a map of every hotlap with the measured top- and corner speeds.
And there is list of laptimes where you can see if they used "stock" or "Sport" tyres.

Laptimes

map_example

A click on a car in the list will show you the complete test.
Then, on the left side, you can find a link named "2. Wertung" that will guide you to the map.

Overall Topspeed is at "Döttinger Höhe".

Its my first post here, I am old and german ;)
So please cut me some slack.

Andi
Welcome to GTPlanet!! :gtpflag:

The problem with all of this is the tyres,comfort is all that should be used for these test not the tyres that come on the car.

Mainly hards and medium should be used,comfort softs for some cars.

Back