Can you beat Randy Pobst's Laguna Seca Corvette Stingray lap?

United States
NJ
Rave2Grave
The car - Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) '14
The track - Laguna Seca
The tires - Comfort Soft
The time - 1:38.28

Do you have what it takes? Oil change is prohibited!

My best lap:

If this challenge is too easy for you, I dare you to try CM tires.

Last edited:
Got a 1:38.1 after a few laps of getting used to how the car handles. I bet it's possible to shave off a second or more off that.

With a DS3 I'm not sure 1:36 would be possible. I'd love to watch the view from above the DS3 of the guy who can do that.

The Stingray is so much fun on CS tires, isn't it?

I've noticed the cars in Gran Turismo 6 hit a higher top speed vs the real counterpart. I can't say for sure if the acceleration is faster too from lack of acceleration test, but it appears like it.

Are you suggesting to use Comfort Soft over Sports Soft to counter the cars accelerating faster and higher top speed?

I might give it a try, seems like a good idea to get lap times more accurot until Polyphony Digital fixes the cars being too fast.

I've noticed the cars in Gran Turismo 6 hit a higher top speed vs the real counterpart. I can't say for sure if the acceleration is faster too from lack of acceleration test, but it appears like it.

Are you suggesting to use Comfort Soft over Sports Soft to counter the cars accelerating faster and higher top speed?

I might give it a try, seems like a good idea to get lap times more accurate until Polyphony Digital fixes the cars being too fast.
Tires in GT6 have more grip than their real life counterparts, so a comfort soft tire is roughly equivalent to a real life semislick tire.

I'm suggesting that Comfort Soft is a more realistic stock tire than Sport Hard, that's all.

I'm going to shoot for 1:37 on the DS3 tomorrow. It's tough, but possible.

These are the types of seasonals I wish we would get. Stock cars, Comfort tires, real tracks against real documented lap times.

That's weird, the cars faster. If the car is faster and has equal grip, would that not suggest that the tires closest to real life should have faster lap times compared to the real car?

Grip is equal, but car has faster top speed and acceleration, the result is a faster lap time, 1+1 =2

Logically, if you have a faster car, but less grip, the lower grip can counter the car being faster and lap times will balance out.

Am I missing something?

I think it's time to stop calling GT a driving simulator since apparently PD can't even get the top speeds to match reality and the tires GT thinks a car comes with from the factory have too much grip.

I think it's time to stop calling GT a driving simulator since apparently PD can't even get the top speeds to match reality.

They need to address the faster cars I agree. It might be why there is no acceleration/top speed test ATM. It seems like they fixed it a bit, but not fully. At some update, I think 1.09, some cars slowed down slightly, but they are still faster than they should be. Maybe its something PD is still working on.

I think it's time to stop calling GT a driving simulator since apparently PD can't even get the top speeds to match reality and the tires GT thinks a car comes with from the factory have too much grip.
I hope you was being sarcastic on that one because GT is very much a "driving" simulator unlike the "racing" simulator everyone wants it to be and this proves it once again. Top speeds may not be perfect, let's face it, nothing in life is perfect, nothing. And about top speeds the other night we had stock supercars on LaSarthe no chicanes and I had my stock Ferrari Enzo flat out down the straight and was topping out at around 216, 217mph I think, and I was like this can't be right so I looked it up and they was saying the top speed on an Enzo is about 221mph, so I said not perfect but hey close enough. So some cars might be a little off and might need some more tweaking but for the most part PD is spot on. So I say yes, driving simulator it is.

And tires, I'm not going into that debate again with a bunch of racing soft junkies that wouldn't know a realistic tire if it slapped them in the face. Others and I have been saying that comforts hard, mediums, and soft are the most realistic tires on GT6 for a stock car, and these lap times prove this, ok you might be off a half a second but come on, close enough.

Now my lap time, after about ten laps, about four or five restarts, all stock C7 stingray that was purchased on 12-9-13 and has 213 miles on the odometer and has never had its oil changed with 453hp and 460lbs-ft of torque, my first lap was a 1:39.1 and my best was a 1:38.046. So yeah, I beat Mr. Pobst and the point of this is how challenging it was. I did it in arcade mode, time trial. Once again this proves how realistic Gran Turismo is, point, blank, period.

Oh yeah I forgot, I'm on a DS3, X for gas, square for brake and D-pad for steering, I know I'm still old school with it. I sold my dfgt last year and going to upgrade to whatever next gen offers for PS4 and GT7!👍

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun doing this with the ZR1 against his time as well as the Camaro SS.

I'm all in as soon as I can get the wheel out again.

PS: Take this car to Big Willow and rocket around there for awhile on CM and no aids (including abs) you'll love it.

I hope you was being sarcastic on that one because GT is very much a "driving" simulator unlike the "racing" simulator everyone wants it to be and this proves it once again. Top speeds may not be perfect, let's face it, nothing in life is perfect, nothing. And about top speeds the other night we had stock supercars on LaSarthe no chicanes and I had my stock Ferrari Enzo flat out down the straight and was topping out at around 216, 217mph I think, and I was like this can't be right so I looked it up and they was saying the top speed on an Enzo is about 221mph, so I said not perfect but hey close enough. So some cars might be a little off and might need some more tweaking but for the most part PD is spot on. So I say yes, driving simulator it is.

And tires, I'm not going into that debate again with a bunch of racing soft junkies that wouldn't know a realistic tire if it slapped them in the face. Others and I have been saying that comforts hard, mediums, and soft are the most realistic tires on GT6 for a stock car, and these lap times prove this, ok you might be off a half a second but come on, close enough.

Now my lap time, after about ten laps, about four or five restarts, all stock C7 stingray that was purchased on 12-9-13 and has 213 miles on the odometer and has never had its oil changed with 453hp and 460lbs-ft of torque, my first lap was a 1:39.1 and my best was a 1:38.046. So yeah, I beat Mr. Pobst and the point of this is how challenging it was. I did it in arcade mode, time trial. Once again this proves how realistic Gran Turismo is, point, blank, period.

Oh yeah I forgot, I'm on a DS3, X for gas, square for brake and D-pad for steering, I know I'm still old school with it. I sold my dfgt last year and going to upgrade to whatever next gen offers for PS4 and GT7!👍

The Enzo will pull over 250mph stock. Its limited to 219mph bouncing on the rev limiter, but will pull past 250mph with stretched gears. IRL this is not the case. With stock gears in GT6 limited to 219mph the acceleration all the way to top speed is much much faster than the real car. This is the issue comparing the video game to real life. IF your using real lap times on stock cars as a way to compare grip levels then the obvious difference in acceleration needs to be taken into account. This means lap times in the game with equal grip to real world (whatever the tire may be) will be faster than the lap in the real world with the same car by a few seconds. This suggest SH closer to real than CS.

CS can be used to counter the faster acceleration and level off lap times. If the car is not running faster laps with faster acceleration, than the tires grip levels are not equal, they are lower

BTW, I don't use R tires on street cars, so I'm not a "Racing Soft Junkie"

PD should FIX the discrepancy of stock performance so that lower grip tires don't have to be used to get lap times to balance.

The Enzo will pull over 250mph stock. Its limited to 219mph bouncing on the rev limiter, but will pull past 250mph with stretched gears. IRL this is not the case. With stock gears in GT6 limited to 219mph the acceleration all the way to top speed is much much faster than the real car. This is the issue comparing the video game to real life. IF your using real lap times on stock cars as a way to compare grip levels then the obvious difference in acceleration needs to be taken into account. This means lap times in the game with equal grip to real world (whatever the tire may be) will be faster than the lap in the real world with the same car by a few seconds. This suggest SH closer to real than CS.

CS can be used to counter the faster acceleration and level off lap times. If the car is not running faster laps with faster acceleration, than the tires grip levels are not equal, they are lower

BTW, I don't use R tires on street cars, so I'm not a "Racing Soft Junkie"

PD should FIX the discrepancy of stock performance so that lower grip tires don't have to be used to get lap times to balance.
On what track will an Enzo get to 250 mph?

As much as i enjoy GT6, i hope that you all also see the disclosures everytime you boot up the "game"...

If not refer to my signature...

Kaz might be aiming for perfection and i think everyone here on GTP, also expected and wishes perfection from PD... but if Kaz was able to atain it, he would have given to us without hesitation already...

... you all have to learn to accept that right now, what you see is the best PD is able to offer you...

Enjoy what you have, or continue to complain to your hearts content...

As much as i enjoy GT6, i hope that you all also see the disclosures everytime you boot up the "game"...

If not refer to my signature...

Kaz might be aiming for perfection and i think everyone here on GTP, also expected and wishes perfection from PD... but if Kaz was able to atain it, he would have given to us without hesitation already...

... you all have to learn to accept that right now, what you see is the best PD is able to offer you...

Enjoy what you have, or continue to complain to your hearts content...

Yes because how the tires react to the surface its not like the real thing. Plus other issues, like how top speeds can be different, and other similar problem's.

As long as everyone's having fun beating this challenge, that's all that matters. Kaz would want nothing more. It's an alternative to what PD offers up for seasonal events.

I'll post some more Randy Pobst Laguna Seca stock car challenges if y'all want.

I hope you was being sarcastic on that one because GT is very much a "driving" simulator unlike the "racing" simulator everyone wants it to be and this proves it once again...
... Once again this proves how realistic Gran Turismo is, point, blank, period.

I'm not coming in here to bash and complain about GT6 or compare it to other sims, however...

Having one car on one track run a lap time within a few tenths of a real life lap time does not mean, let alone prove, that a game is realistic. Even if we say it's all only the driving experience and not the racing or the lap times, GT is still missing out on a lot of feeling, feedback and accuracy (tyre modelling for example, is non-existant) to call it very realistic.

IMO you will never truly, accurately match a real life car in GT6, aside from the differences in braking, acceleration, cornering, top speed and driver's abilities being different, you can too easily improve your time by achieving driving styles and over aggression that you would not be able to replicate in real life, because the game physics do not take enough into account. Often you can be rewarded rather than being punished for pushing a car too hard.

On what track will an Enzo get to 250 mph?
Take a guess, SSRX

I think most are aware GT6 is not reality, and no matter how good it gets, its not going to be perfect. IMO its pretty darn good, and I enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited:
Tires in GT6 have more grip than their real life counterparts, so a comfort soft tire is roughly equivalent to a real life semislick tire.
If thats what you think, no offense, but you've never driven a semi-slick. I would say comfort mediums feels like semi-slicks. Comfort hards slide too much, laterally, at lows to feel anything like a semi-slick. That and the fact that they basically don't have real life counter parts. Having used all sorts of tires from full slicks to economy tires...all I'm going to say is people have some whacky ideas about the tires in the game. Racing softs are definitely too much grip. Sports softs start to feel like semi-slicks. There is a big gap between sports softs and rack hards in terms of performance. Sport mediums and hards feel like extreme summer tires. Like DZ101s. Sport soft feels like a semi-slick sort of that you would use for serious auto-x points competition, like high powered national classes and track days (not competitive circuit racing, unless it is spec e30, miata, other unpowered cars, etc.).

The problem is not in the tires. It is the mechanical grip that can be achieved via tuning. Some of us can squeeze ten seconds out of a car on the tires it came with, versus it being untuned. Everyone overlooks that. Even the tuning section. It is not the tires lol.

Look at the 97T versus the FGT. The 97T has very more downforce. Not in terms of the slider in the setup, because that and the numbers are irrelevant...in terms of the car being able to corner at speeds that are higher than 2004 F1 cars, which were the fastest ever. The FGT can't even corner as fast as the lotus.

It is the mechanical side, not tire grip.

I think you should merge them all together into a single massive challenge. I like this idea but dont want to search around looking for all the individual challenges.

I bet this could be a perfect alternative to the Top Gear - top times leaderboard (how many cars has he raced there?)

Back