Cano's gallery - UPDATE 14/4: More street photography

• Thread starter Cano
  • 38 comments

Cano

Premium
Mexico
Cephiro
OK, seeing as how people don't take too much interest in orange 560 hp muscle cars when they are posted in a single thread, and also because I have wanted to do a single gallery for a while now, I'll open a gallery for all my stuff from now on, and I'll start not with a shrew of tire-destroying american cars, but with... random pictures.

Wat? yeah, even if it seems that all I do are cars, every once in a while I'll also pop the camera out for something that doesn't have tires or a V8. Hey, I only work shooting cars, but I also enjoy photography as much as the next guy.

so here go some of the random shots I was able to gather without snooping trough my multiple DVDs. Some of these have been shot by me and some by my wife, and most of them came off our trusty Canon S2, because that's what we carry trough the street. Some of these are pretty old, some are frm last week, I'll try to give a little background to each... if I can even remember.

That said, here goes the first bunch.

bunch of military band soldiers practicing in a public park, went around and took some pics before some soldier ran our asses off there.
supaniu-supaforil-095.jpg

stray dog chillin' about, snapped it while on tour searching for old cars:
troles-039.jpg

Bible in the hand of my wife's father, at a Jehova's Witnesses Assambly:
asam-011.jpg

plastic dinos out and about, for sale at some park... with bubbles:
supaniu-supaforil-093.jpg

I love the S2's 12X lens:
sixflajs-055.jpg

Mexico City's subway, south of the city:
sred-034.jpg

way cool manequin somewhere:
srfre-060.jpg

random woman at my wife's school some years ago:
wqe-005.jpg

high-contrast VISA ad shot:
whiskylucan-023.jpg

random window in some weird school building, trying some symmetrical composition... this will show later, with people:
veg-007.jpg

more line-using:
uiok-077.jpg

lovely lady and her beast waiting for the bus:
srfre-129.jpg

random deteriorating sign:
srfre-037.jpg

again, I love the high-zoom lens of the S2:
sigourney-069.jpg

more dramatic sunsetting:
wfsf-018.jpg

srfre-070.jpg

random street in which I was sitting at, waiting for a friend and toying around with the camera, this is what came out:
sred-007.jpg

from that same time, another waiter:
sred-017.jpg

A little soft, but I was pretty far away:
srfre-039.jpg

I really like this for some reason:
srfre-064.jpg

random cables:
yarashawer-080.jpg

some apartment building's roof top with water container and antennae producing a great mess:
srfre-104.jpg

more signage:
sred-023.jpg

and finally, this little Vespa:
sikuno-006.jpg

B/W:
sikuno-006bw.jpg

Here goes to a good start, I'll be putting up all my stuff in here instead of making individual threads.

Last edited:
I really like this for some reason:
I do, too. The combination of the deep black, striking blue and... salmon(?) look great together. 👍

I think the first shot would have come out a bit better if they hadn't seen that you were taking their picture, but that certainly isn't your fault! Also, I like the gritty, almost film quality of the antenna and water container shot. 👍

Wow - I find these to be way more interesting than the car shots. Sorry, I just notice more artistic works, and these tick all the right boxes of awesome street photography.

I love the one that you like too. I think I agree with TB that its partly down to the strong salmon colour, also coupled with the rustic, peeling shot that some find to be stereotypical of Mexico and central America.

Loving the higher contrast shots of building roof lines as well.

Some really well thought out shots here 👍.

Some great pictures, but I do love the shot with the sunset behind the tree and clouds. It's just beautiful. Amazing photos all together! 👍

Dude!!! you've totally been holding out on us. They are all great. Love every one of them. I could rant on about all the shots and what I like about them, the cables, military solider, subway, sunset shots, all brilliant. But this one is fricking amazing:

Wow - I find these to be way more interesting than the car shots. Sorry, I just notice more artistic works, and these tick all the right boxes of awesome street photography.

No sorry, I know what you mean, most of the car photo shoots I've posted here are staight-on magazine stuff, well produced and all that stuff, but it's all for mostly informative and illustrating purposes... and very basic, as I lack enough equipment to really do something far-out in terms of automotive photo. And today I lost my tripod, so I'm now lacking even more -_- But hey, it pays the bills... and is extremely fun to do (:

Syntax Error:

Dude!!! you've totally been holding out on us.

Well, you know... it's a car site, hahaha

TB:
I think the first shot would have come out a bit better if they hadn't seen that you were taking their picture, but that certainly isn't your fault! Also, I like the gritty, almost film quality of the antenna and water container shot.

I think the very contrary, if the soldier had not noticed that I was taking his picture and had not put his eyes in me, the photo would have been absolutely annonymous. He noticing me and half-smiling is what makes this whole piece. And the water containers are high ISO stuff as I remember... I love high ISO in daylight.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the nice comments (:

ok, seeing the great response these have had, I'll post a bit more street photography and some off-the-street-but-still-outside stuff... I don't even remember where I got some of these.
Tractor outside a town house... the relevant bit about this one is that I took it while moving, I was in a car. I love the big-zoom of the S2, but also the stabilizer (:
mustanpro-195.jpg

Some random chairs in an excercise in composition and getting a decent exposition in black and white high contast...
oiu-045.jpg

The S2 also has a hypermacro function (:
oiu-062.jpg

Ah, random people in the stairs at my Wife's College some years back:
oiu-078.jpg

my cousin's pretty little dog, looks like a pup but has 10+ years:
Imagen-105.jpg

guy in the street, altough I shot it from very far away and it was in very low light, hence the blur. If it had come out good it would be one kick ass picture, but not even the stabilizer could save me with such low light.
pll-127.jpg

a... um... yeah... one of these:
moparxtrem-002.jpg

and look, ANOTHER one!
moparxtrem-003.jpg

that be it for now, but don't worry, you guys have got my street side all pumped up, the other day I shot about 100 pictures in downtown Mexico City, it had been a while since I last went on a photo spree... it was such fun. I'll show you soon (:

Thanks both. It is indeed a very intresting place but it is often dangerous to carry a camera around. You have a strong risk of getting robbed, even more if your camera looks big and flashy. However, there are places here and there where you can act "tourist" and run around with the camera. Most of these pictures are from such places, but some of them are from really risky areas. So yeah, it's pretty cool but pretty dangerous also.

MOAR since I have not put up anything in here for a while...

shot at an open-air jazz gig where the stands were actually some stairs...
kji-060.jpg

random mess with cables, tress and signage:
ridicule-006.jpg

I am amazed at the detail that came out of this:
sadcd-007.jpg

as in the salmon-coloured one on the first post, I also like this for some strange reason:
sef-012.jpg

This tree got my attention, I wanted to show the "scars" of the cut-off... er... "arms", but I did not know how to compose it properly, it's pretty bland.
pll-021.jpg

balloon-seller walking around... I tried to catch him up front but short of running in front of him, I was never able to catch him.
kl-173.jpg

random cacti my wife got while snapping a car for the mag in a somewhat desertic location.
magnum-s2-128.jpg

all of us have done this at one time or another, but this time I had the tripod out so it came out, for a change, somewhat nice. 1995 Voyager.
magnum-s2-162.jpg

I don't even know what in the heck is this.
moparxtrem-019.jpg

this came off the tech museum here in Mexico city, but the colours are pretty damn odd.
moparxtrem-037.jpg

I saw this entirely by accident, I was looking for some shade to stand under and turned my head up and...
mustanpro-057.jpg

I don't remember where this came from either but I really liked the high contrast:
gdeghe-132.jpg

downtown Mexico City can have a lot of "characters", this time this little girl who was with some street seller of pirate clothes... I love her :0
ghdfl-151.jpg

this was taken pretty much undercover, as the guy never noticed I was pointing my S2 (inside my backpack which was resting on my lap) at him. Taken at the Mexico city subway.
gfrth-051.jpg

And finally, ah, this. My mom and I walk past this window and out comes this monster barking hardcore at us. We run for our lives past the little old lady who gets to the window and goes "oh Nerón, you're just mean" and then does this...
inhlk-023.jpg

Unspeakable moment.

I'm loving your gallery so far, your work with patterns is nice and your portraits are beautiful. This one in particular I love.

ghdfl-151.jpg

Yet again, some really amazing stuff Cano. It's nice to see more photos from you. I really enjoy all of these. I dig the vivid colours in shot #4. The red contrasts the dilapidated blue building brilliantly.

thanks everyone. Yeah I also loved that little lady.Snapped another one but came out blurry.

Yes, I think that was a church... I don't even remember... but I liked the rythm...

And yeah Sintax, I think what is really appealing about that picture is the extreme color combo of everything in sight. Even the pink inside the window helps.

Love the photos, great stuff; Yet it’s their combination with the little anecdotes that I really enjoy!
Both here and in your car pictures in Mexico City you show an amazing talent to provide a full picture through small glimpses and details.
Keep it up! 👍

RUI
Love the photos, great stuff; Yet it’s their combination with the little anecdotes that I really enjoy!
Both here and in your car pictures in Mexico City you show an amazing talent to provide a full picture through small glimpses and details.
Keep it up! 👍

Ah, many thanks. I always try to give a little context to whatever I post even if some say that pictures should "speak" by themselves... and yeah, they do in their very own language but the life that they expose is something different altogether; at the very last, a picture is always text.

Wow man I'm loving your pics, really liked the soldier pic, you have a real nice eye for the details, and I'd be a quite scared to be walking around with a nice camera in Mexico City.

O_o wha... another mexican? by golly, we're growing!!! hahaha many thanks man, and yeah, I know, that is why I dont always have my camera out and about, I usually hide it under my jacket, of if I walk around with it I am with someone else or in places where you can actually do so, like parks or downtown or something like that.

Umm . . . do you have bad memory? We had already spoken, you told me about the magazine you work at, you even visited my profile page several times.

Anyways I hope you post more pics soon.

uugghhh yes of course. Yes I have an abolutely empty memory, sorry me. I'm really bad at remembering stuff, and as you are not such a regular in GTP... well, you get the drill. Sorry, hahaha.

I'll post some more when I get some work finished. I have several awaiting GTP (:

Just noticed this thread.

Holy ****, dude, every single one of these is awesome!! Love the abstractness of the gears, wires and spiral staircase.

O_o asumiría que eres de México por el nombre/avatar/whatever?

Whatever it is, this thread need a freaking update, it's been ages. Come december this will be boling.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot bud, nice to see you around here.

Given that I have some free time, I’ll have to update this place a bit, I haven’t put anything here since ages ago, but reality is that I haven’t had the time to go trough my shots lately. However, as I have some stuff uploaded already that hasn’t appeared here, lets go:

Remember the inverted L in the previous page? This is the window in the orange building that I mentioned would later appear with people in it.
jaz-023.jpg

Steel sculpture outside my then girl, now wife, college.
ffew-024.jpg

In the same place, girl resting in one of the many green areas of the UNAM:
ffew-036.jpg

Street performer at a public plaza in Coyoacan, at the very south of Mexico City.
fgbv-047.jpg

At the same place, an old house yielded this pretty window:
fgbv-049.jpg

The craft market again in Coyoacan, which had these beautiful paper lamps that glowed oh-so-pretty in the dark…
fgbv-053.jpg

An offering to the holly dead people in a chuch in Estado de Mexico, and a canine friend checking it out:
gdeghe-122.jpg

Vegetables at a public street market, the red tones are given by the red covering they used for shade:
dft-062.jpg

My dad under the same light conditions:
dft-059.jpg

Men’s bathroom sing in the Architecture Faculty at UNAM, where my girl studied back then.
dgdre-267.jpg

This would be my hand. No I was not imprisoned.
eftd-058.jpg

Yet mote dramatic sunsetting:
eftd-061.jpg

Composition exercise with diagonals by my wife:
eter-009.jpg

This beautiful old lady attended a veggie sale in a public street market, a pity the picture came out a bit blurred, but I love those eyes.
-112.jpg

Tungsten filter in natural light creates some weird stuff:
carritos-022.jpg

I know most of you have seen these guys in public parks and plazas, playing what is basically a gigantic crank-turned music box. In here they are called “organilleros”.
dft-044.jpg

Random woman at my girl’s school years ago:
eter-047.jpg

The main field of the UNAM held a big protest get-together and this guy and his son were some of the people that were on stage, talking.
eter-094.jpg

Color picture because behind them is the faccade of the University’s rectory, which is decorated by a mural painting by David Alfaro Siqueiros, one of the greatest artists Mexico has given to the world.
eter-092.jpg

I’ll try to get more pics edited and uploaded soon , it’s been ages since I last posted a car photoshoot, and I’ve made several since then. Next update will be cars, indeed.

Is the guy in the brown t-shirt giving an invisible...? nevermind.

Great pictures. You seem to get around our grand, polluted city and capture some of its essence. Do you just drift around looking for things and places to photograph?

I'm thinking you're quite patriotic as well. Am I right in this assumption?

Is the guy in the brown t-shirt giving an invisible...? nevermind.

Great pictures. You seem to get around our grand, polluted city and capture some of its essence. Do you just drift around looking for things and places to photograph?

Yes, I always have a relatively powerful camera with me, trusty but used enough that it isn’t worth much now, but I’m always careful, a picture isn’t worth the stuff you can find yourself into in this city, you know how that is. And it’s pretty sad. Whenever there is a chance, read, it’s absolutely safe, and I like what I’m seeing, I pull out the camera and shoot. You know the places in where these pictures were taken, so you can more or less make out that these are all pretty “touristic” and more or less safe places for photography. You really have to take care of yourself in this place if you have a camera with you.

I'm thinking you're quite patriotic as well. Am I right in this assumption?

not really, in fact I believe this country us pretty f/&#%$d up, but when you see the entire world and mostly everywhere is the same, you kinda learn to live with it and try to appreciate what’s good. And this country has some good stuff, even if it’s hard to find in all this mess.

So, several months ago I put together this selection of pictures to show to the president of a club that was having a track day at Pachuca circuit. These are all pictures of that track, taken at various events throughout the years. I wanted to show my work at that place, which I know fairly well, to see if they would hire me as a photographer for the event, as it was some anniversary celebration or something like that. The guy never wrote back but the picture selection stayed on my Photobucket for future reference, so I thought I’d put them up here.

trakturbosmx-029.jpg

rvag-pachuca-06-165.jpg

rvag-pachuca-06-133.jpg

rvag-pachuca-06-044.jpg

same turn:
mustanpro-084.jpg

From timing tower:
kkkkkkkkkkkk-024.jpg

IMG_9282.jpg

IMG_8596.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg