Can't download patch due to "space"

United States
Indiana
pie4july
When I attempt to download the latest patch my PS4 says, "Cannot add the following content to [Downloads]. Gran Turismo SPORT: Version 1.03. To download the content, you must delete an application or video clip that is larger than 4.42 GB in system storage.

However, when I go to my system storage, my PS4 says I have 22.55 GB of free space. If the patch is less than 200 MB like other have said, why would I need to delete game applications to make space when I have 22.55 GB of space? The last I checked, a GB = 1000 MB.... that is magnitudes of enough space. Any idea what is going on

PS_Messages_20171025_205908.jpg
PS_Messages_20171025_205915.jpg
Here it is

Last edited by a moderator:
It needs space to build the new copy of the files being patched, so I'd guess the space required depends on the size of the largest file to be modified.

It needs space to build the new copy of the files being patched, so I'd guess the space required depends on the size of the largest file to be modified.

It is crap like this that makes me want a PS4 Pro (Can't afford it lol). I wish I could afford it. Application data takes up so much space... GT Sport alove takes up 70.06 GB. Considering the standard PS4 comes with a 406.5 GB hard drive, this is ludicrous. That is nearly 20 percent of my storage space for one game alone. Other games that are super big include... Project Cars 2 - 54.09 GB, Grand Theft Auto - 66.02 GB, HITMAN - 54.72 GB, MLB 17 The Show - 50.79 GB... This stuff so quick.

I have a lot of games on my list that I want to get in the next several months (Sims 4, COD WWII, Wreckfest, Ghost Recon Wildlands).... But I literally have no space. This sucks.

Last edited:
It is crap like this that makes me want a PS4 Pro. I wish I could afford it. Application data takes up so much space... GT Sport alove takes up 70.06 GB. Considering the standard PS4 comes with a 406.5 GB hard drive, this is ludicrous. That is nearly 20 percent of my storage space for one game alone. Other games that are super big include... Project Cars 2 - 54.09 GB, Grand Theft Auto - 66.02 GB, HITMAN - 54.72 GB, MLB 17 The Show - 50.79 GB... This stuff so quick.

I have a lot of games on my list that I want to get in the next several months (Sims 4, COD WWII, Wreckfest, Ghost Recon Wildlands).... But I literally have no space. This sucks.
You can pick up a 1TB external for pretty damn cheap, that'll give you some much needed breathing room.

I have an external hard drive I used for school work. I could only store game data on it, not applications (which is basically 95% of my storage).

If I upgrade to an external one, then can I store and run applications on it or does it have to be internal for applications to be stored/run on it?

I have an external hard drive I used for school work. I could only store game data on it, not applications (which is basically 95% of my storage).

If I upgrade to an external one, then can I store and run applications on it or does it have to be internal for applications to be stored/run on it?
It works like you have a second internal HDD.

You can store games on external, You just need to select it as the download location, I've been doing it for months.

Interesting. Mine didn't work the last time I tried. I'll have to try again. Maybe it isn't compatible enough

My suggestion would be to have a look at what brands/models different people use that way you are guaranteed to get one that works, Personally I'd go for the largest capacity possible because 1TB in total is far from enough in my experience, Also the one I have is maybe a few years old now and it works perfectly so compatibility shouldn't be too much of an issue 👍

My suggestion would be to have a look at what brands/models different people use that way you are guaranteed to get one that works, Personally I'd go for the largest capacity possible because 1TB in total is far from enough in my experience, Also the one I have is maybe a few years old now and it works perfectly so compatibility shouldn't be too much of an issue 👍

Well no wonder. When I plug mine in (Seagate external) it straight up says "this device isn't compatible". It's a couple of years old I think now. But I bought it strictly for school purposes so I never thought about PS4 compatibility. That was an afterthought when I got home.

I would prefer an external SSD so I don't have to worry about backing up data and all that. Are there any differences between external and internal in terms of functionality?

When I attempt to download the latest patch my PS4 says, "Cannot add the following content to [Downloads]. Gran Turismo SPORT: Version 1.03. To download the content, you must delete an application or video clip that is larger than 4.42 GB in system storage.

However, when I go to my system storage, my PS4 says I have 22.55 GB of free space. If the patch is less than 200 MB like other have said, why would I need to delete game applications to make space when I have 22.55 GB of space? The last I checked, a GB = 1000 MB.... that is magnitudes of enough space. Any idea what is going on
Happened to me when I was getting low on storage space. It's reserving an amount of space that is bigger than the file needs. Two solutions. 1. Delete something you don't play anymore or 2. Add more storage space. If the latter, an external HD HAS to be USB3

Interesting. Mine didn't work the last time I tried. I'll have to try again. Maybe it isn't compatible enough

The functionality of storing games to external HDDs was first added some months ago. It has not always been a feature. Maybe therefore it didnt work last time you tried?

All external hard drives which are USB 3.0 and has minimum 250 GB and maximum 8 TB capacity will work. Remember that the drive will be locked once formatted. This means it cannot be used outside of the PS4 environment.
More info here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/ps4--external-hdd-support/

It is crap like this that makes me want a PS4 Pro (Can't afford it lol). I wish I could afford it. Application data takes up so much space... GT Sport alove takes up 70.06 GB. Considering the standard PS4 comes with a 406.5 GB hard drive, this is ludicrous. That is nearly 20 percent of my storage space for one game alone. Other games that are super big include... Project Cars 2 - 54.09 GB, Grand Theft Auto - 66.02 GB, HITMAN - 54.72 GB, MLB 17 The Show - 50.79 GB... This stuff so quick.

PS4 PRO is no different. PS4 games require >2x the empty space that a game takes up to install updates. If you have a 50Gb game that wants t install a 200Mb update, you'll need ~50Gb of empty space to do so.

If you simply want more space, a larger external HHD will be cheaper than a PRO, and it'll be faster than the internal drive as well. As someone who jumped on the PRO early in its life, I say skip it and wait for the PS5, unless you have money to throw around.

I would prefer an external SSD so I don't have to worry about backing up data and all that. Are there any differences between external and internal in terms of functionality?

To your question about "differences". In this thread, we have been talking about external drives which are formatted as PS4 drives and are essentially extensions of the internal PS4 drive, so no.

However, there's another type of drive format which can be used on a PS4. Certain (but not all), Windows formatted drives can be attached externally and used for things like
  • Exporting photos from GTS that you like to take to your computer or other device
  • Providing backup space for your PS4
And talking about "backup", I'm left with the impression that someone has told you that SSDs don't need to be backed up. Just like disk drives, there are two types of SSD
  1. SSDs which haven't failed yet
  2. SSDs which have failed
The manner of failure of SSDs is different to the way hard drives break, but they still have ways in which they fail. So backing up of data is still with us.

PS Some stuff on your PS4 drive is saved to the cloud. Some isn't. For example, it is my suspicion that "Replays" are not saved to Sony's servers. For this reason and others, I take regular backups of my PS4

The functionality of storing games to external HDDs was first added some months ago. It has not always been a feature. Maybe therefore it didnt work last time you tried?

All external hard drives which are USB 3.0 and has minimum 250 GB and maximum 8 TB capacity will work. Remember that the drive will be locked once formatted. This means it cannot be used outside of the PS4 environment.
More info here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/ps4--external-hdd-support/

Thanks for this information. I tried this morning and mine isn't compatible. That's okay though because I don't want to lock this one out, as it is for my university work. I didn't realize that would happen so I'm glad to know now!

FWIW it's a couple years old, Seagate external hard drive. 500 GB. As for USB 3.0... I'm not sure. I just know it works with my new laptop lol.
To your question about "differences". In this thread, we have been talking about external drives which are formatted as PS4 drives and are essentially extensions of the internal PS4 drive, so no.

However, there's another type of drive format which can be used on a PS4. Certain (but not all), Windows formatted drives can be attached externally and used for things like
  • Exporting photos from GTS that you like to take to your computer or other device
  • Providing backup space for your PS4
And talking about "backup", I'm left with the impression that someone has told you that SSDs don't need to be backed up. Just like disk drives, there are two types of SSD
  1. SSDs which haven't failed yet
  2. SSDs which have failed
The manner of failure of SSDs is different to the way hard drives break, but they still have ways in which they fail. So backing up of data is still with us.

PS Some stuff on your PS4 drive is saved to the cloud. Some isn't. For example, it is my suspicion that "Replays" are not saved to Sony's servers. For this reason and others, I take regular backups of my PS4

I am well aware that an SSD can break. I'm not that silly. Lol. I just was not sure if there were benefits for internal vs external

Back