Can't Drift

United States
Colorado
Hi.

So I decided to try drifting with my G27 wheel today. And honestly, I'm better off as a crash test dummy. I couldn't even have the car start a drift without me messing the whole thing up. 20 minutes and all I could manage to do was wreck my car. Amazing. Is it hard to drift with a wheel or am I just terrible?

Well, don't expect to be a pro in 20 minutes...

Try something low powered at first, 250-300hp.

Grip around the track to get a feel for when your car breaks lose, learn the limits of your car before trying to drift.

Knowing when your car is gonna kick the tail out will help you react accordingly.

Edit: I'm getting De Ja Vu, I swear you made a thread like this a few months ago...

Well, don't expect to be a pro in 20 minutes...

Try something low powered at first, 250-300hp.

Grip around the track to get a feel for when your car breaks lose, learn the limits of your car before trying to drift.

Knowing when your car is gonna kick the tail out will help you react accordingly.

Edit: I'm getting De Ja Vu, I swear you made a thread like this a few months ago...
The car I was using had 205hp.

Alright. I'll try that.

Yeah...I did make a thread like this a while ago. It was when I had absolutely no clue how to drift. I got used to it with the DS3, now I'm trying to drift with a wheel.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the NSX with comfort hards on Tsukuba. Just keep drifting around the place. DS3 is very easy in comparison to drifting with a wheel, so don't feel down. It takes a lot of work to drift with a wheel. Just practice, practice, practice.
Also a G27 user.

I'd recommend the NSX with comfort hards on Tsukuba. Just keep drifting around the place. DS3 is very easy in comparison to drifting with a wheel, so don't feel down. It takes a lot of work to drift with a wheel. Just practice, practice, practice.
Also a G27 user.
Which NSX? The premium one with fixed headlights?

I find for actual racing, I have the steering sensitivity around 5-6, but when I want to drift I set it at -2.
This is with a Xbox 360 controller (wired, through an adaptor) though.

same problem:grumpy:.

it has been now long time almost 2 months and i am trying to drift with my G27 wheel, all my tries fails.

i collect a lot of money just to buy cars and tune them.

and I have been watching a lot of YouTube for tuning and drifting but unfortunately I still couldn’t make it.

I still couldn’t figure out the problem.

When I try to drift my car just slip out the track.

Plz help I am sinking:nervous:

Don't sweat it, just put on comfort hards front and back, and don't focus on drifting first, just getting smoothly around the track. Once you got the right corner speed, and feel comfortable driving the car, approach corners slightly slower and apply slightly more throttle on corner entry and when the car slips countersteer accordingly. Then instead of straightening the car, try to hold the countersteer by applying just the right amount to throttle.

I hated the drift coffee breaks and seasonals first, couldn't get the hang on drifting, but as the others said, it takes a lot of practice, and the right determination. :)

You know guys you such a wonderful, you tried to help very much but I am almost fed up from all this, it has been now months and I am working with everybody’s advice “ practise and practise” and now I am very sure that I have something wrong something not right that is leads me not to drift.

You know, I watched a lot of your videos and I am amazed how your car just keeps sliding and turning it from side to side and still your car stable it is not griping out of the track.

I am very dispirit. :(

You know guys you such a wonderful, you tried to help very much but I am almost fed up from all this, it has been now months and I am working with everybody’s advice “ practise and practise” and now I am very sure that I have something wrong something not right that is leads me not to drift.

You know, I watched a lot of your videos and I am amazed how your car just keeps sliding and turning it from side to side and still your car stable it is not griping out of the track.

I am very dispirit. :(

Maybe you should step back and stop drifting for a while. If you are too frustrated, you are not in the right spirit for improving. I know when i got the G27 i was way slower than on DS3 and thought: "Was it worth the money?". But the wheel was much more fun, so i kept trying and improving. :)

Take a break from drifting for a week and then take small steps:
  • Try to get a good lap time with a stock car on CHs
  • Try to win a race against AI with a stock car on CHs
  • Try to win on CHs without touching any of the AI cars
  • Try to gold the drift coffee breaks
  • Try to beat your points in the drift coffee breaks
The cool video guys probably have a car tuned for their style and track, and they practiced hard and had many failures before they made the awesome videos, that's why they are proud to post them here. They should inspire you and not bring you down. :cheers:

I too suck at drifting. I'm starting to get better though, and while testing cars I found one that is perfect for practice. Try giving a standard Plymouth XNR with comfort hards a try. Super easy to initiate and hold drifts with a wheel. You'll be surprised!

Great advise from @tarnheld.

I'm a DS3 user (yep), but I still do a couple laps without sliding when I enter a drift room, just to tune myself into my cars grip threshold before letting the tires rip.

I had a g27 the easiest car for me was the Lexus sc300. But seriously guy if you want to make life easier sell the g27 and get a t500. So much easier trust me.

I will be working on many cars over the next couple days for BLTC, I have no idea what has been done so I will try to get to everyone as soon as possible.

:cheers:

Here is a setup for the SC300 tuned on the wheel, but should work just fine on the DS3.

Specs:
PP-514
HP-470
Weight-1448 KG
F/R Distribution-55:45

Use:
Pro AM Competition car

Suspension:
Ride Height: 90/90
Spring Rates: 20/12
Dampers(Compression): 4/4
Dampers(Extension): 5/2
Roll Bars: 3/5
Camber: 3/0
Toe:0/+0.45
Brakes: 2/5

Transmission:
Six Speed (For use of clutch on wheels)

Drivetrain:
Stock Diff

Power:
Stage 2 Engine
Sport Computer
Sport Exhaust
Mid Turbo

Body:
Stage 3 Weight
Carbon Hood
Window Weight

Ballast-200KG
Position-50%
Here you go try this RSM tune its actually really good. I would suggest running it at 600bhp thoigh .

Last edited:
Drifting in Gran Turismo 6 is most hardest than GT 5. I drifting on my DFGT and I had to spend a lot of time to get to practice. One day i just start the driftin and i can do this :lol: PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE! Its not hard :gtpflag:

Back