Wanna know how to drift? Ask here

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 204 comments
You can't really expect to drift like that video on the first try..

Go buy an 240 or a S13, buy some Confort hard and go to Tsukuba or Autumn Ring and just practice. If you dont slide, you're not going fast enough :P

Dude how do you play barefoot? I have to use slippers whenever I use my G25 pedals.

Yeah, it really feel awkward in the first week because i'm driving with shoes on daily basis to go for work. The reason i can play barefoot is 'take of the shoes' culture when enter most home made me get used to it after few months. But i still using shoes/slippers when gone driving.

Yeah, it really feel awkward in the first week because i'm driving with shoes on daily basis to go for work. The reason i can play barefoot is 'take of the shoes' culture when enter most home made me get used to it after few months. But i still using shoes/slippers when gone driving.

Oh right makes sense :D

I have been trying to get a hang of drifting for a while. i haven't been able to completely nail it, but i've gotten alright. I used the HKS Genki Silvia tune from @shmogt on Team-shmo.com

Just got my G-27 after drifting with the DS3 for the last 3 years (since GT-5). I feel so noob now... T_T
I've only been at it for about an hour, but man this is a lot tougher than I thought it would be! When I come back from work, I think I'll try doing circles at Willow and see how the dang thing handles there. Until then, I'm back to square one!

There is a setting on the wheel to switch to a lower degree of rotation, which would make it similar to the ds3's short rotation.
Of the 4 red buttons on the shifter, hold the middle 2, at the same time push square, triangle, circle, or x. Each symbol has a different degree, top is around 200, right is about 700, bottom is standard (900), and left is about 400. I

There is?? ... *boots up PS3* ... Oh man, there totally is! You, sir or madam, have just made Ridge Racer 7 playable on the G27! Gratitude and kudos to you!

Once PSN is back, I'll try to not suck at drifting in GT6 quite so much.

..............I was looking for something like this!! I'm utterly hopeless at drifting so I just skip those drift trials altogether sometimes. Hopefully I can improve a little now...

Hi, i just wanted to share my road to drifting. I am a completey drift rookie, and couldn't get the hang of it, first with a DS3, then with G27. It was totally frustrating, i just had no clue how to approach drifting in the coffee breaks. So i left them alone for a year, and also avoided the drift seasonals, as watching the top guys didn't help much either.

So before christmas, i was determined enough to give it a try with the wheel. Total frustration again, until i switched both front and back tires to CH. The car was loose, but you could feel the the car sliding and then countersteering a lot better. Then i just got the hang when letting go the drift points, and trying first to drive through the track, just watching for the right speed to enter and exit corners. You will naturally make the car drift in the process, and learn to apply countersteering, no need to use the handbrake. After you get the feel and can control the car, you can then try to enter the corner a little slower, but apply a little too much throttle. Then i just let this process be guided by the drift points getting higher and higher.

I was still a long process, until i was consistent and had the feeling of control to make this fun. Now i don't dread the drift seasonals. I don't like tuning much, let alone tuning for drifting, but it's fun taking a stock F40 on CHs for a spin.:D

I'm guessing I should ask my question in this thread; is it possible to hold an opposite lock drift easily through an entire corner on a DS3?

I've been trying this for a while and I can barely get it to happen or rarely, but I'm able to do so with my wheel. On the DS3 I always wind up in a chain of steering back and forth quickly through the corner.

I'm guessing I should ask my question in this thread; is it possible to hold an opposite lock drift easily through an entire corner on a DS3?

I've been trying this for a while and I can barely get it to happen or rarely, but I'm able to do so with my wheel. On the DS3 I always wind up in a chain of steering back and forth quickly through the corner.

Yeah, just depends on the corner really and adjustments during the corner.

I registered just to put my 2 cents in on this. I have a g27 and cant drift properly on any rotation setting, but can drift very well with the ds3. For all the ds3 users struggling to drift I actually recommend having a go with sports soft or hard and just enough power to spin them up but not full power upgrades. Choose a mid speed corner like most of suzuka and just go get a feel for it. while the snap back is worse with the grippier tyres the forwards motion you retain might be easier to begin with. start with sliding out of the exit of turns. I also had throttle mapped to the right analog stick (does anyone else do this?) For better throttle control..sometimes its the panic throttle off that upsets the car and it snaps back.

I also had throttle mapped to the right analog stick (does anyone else do this?)

Yeah I think it gives better throttle control. Map the ebrake to R2 for different levels of lock from the handbraking. Or R1 opposed to Circle. This will allow you to keep your thumb on the throttle.

Hey people, does anyone know how to fix oversteer properly when drifting? I've been practicing with my G27 and sometimes, while being in 2nd gear, my car oversteers... Going back to 1st gear stops the oversteer but it doesn´t put my car back in the line. What I'm trying to ask is: is there any usual rapid way to "change sides" while drifting? thx

Take your foot out of the gas :P

Or try moving the brake bias to the rear and brake when you want to change direction.

I use DS3 and have been trying to learn how to drift since GT3. Drifting feels to have gotten easier as the games have progressed. All I know is that CH tires can make all the difference. I do occasionally tune off of what limited knowledge I have about tuning a drift car. I'm no where near decent at drifting or tuning (full lap sustained drifts are only a dream to me), but I finish with the top 3,000 people for drift trials, so I guess that's saying something. :) Driving manual is a huge help for the torque and power can pull you much more in one gear than another. Practice is everything.

Last edited:
I use DS3 and have been trying to learn how to drift since GT3. Drifting feels to have gotten easier as the games have progressed. All I know is that CH tires can make all the difference.
I agree Drifting has gotten so much easier, as well as controlling would be spin outs, I too own a G27, and having had it through out Gt5 and Gt6 I have noticed, the greater ease of sticking the rear end of the car out and maintaining the drift, up until now I was unsure whether it was me or the game that had progressed.

can anyone help me one on one in the game so i can see it first hand and you can correct me on what i do wrong my gamer tag is Fordlover2013

Please keep it civil guys, any egos that get out of control will be dealt with quickly with deletions and warning points. This thread is not for asking for drifting set ups, but rather for actual execution.

Here's the "How to Drift" excerpt from the GT6 Manual:

How To Drift
suntgDX.png

IkO9dFy.jpg

In Drift Trials, the aim is not to score the fastest lap time, but to earn the most points for effective drifting. It is therefore important that you learn how to perform successful drifts.

First off, let's consider the two parts of a drift separately. The first part involves making your rear wheels slide across the track. The second part involves sustaining your drift.

The easiest way to start a drift is to enter a corner at high speed, suddenly put your foot on the brake and then, at the same moment, apply the handbrake. The car will spin at first, but just get a feel for the speed you need when entering the corner and the sensation of your rear wheels starting to slip.

In order to make your rear wheels slip effectively, you need to think about how it can be sustained. The key points here are countersteering and accelerator work. Countersteering means turning the steering wheel at the moment the car starts to slide, in the opposite direction to which it is sliding. Countersteering allows you to control your car's sideways slide.

At the same time, you can control your slide by adjusting the degree to which you are pressing the accelerator. If you want to slide more, press the accelerator; if you want a more controlled slide, ease off it. When it comes to real drifts, it's possible to perform very effective ones with the right combination of countersteering and accelerator work.

In Drift Trials, drifts are awarded points according to the following criteria:

1. Drift Angle
Drifts are judged according to the angle of the car relative to the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. If your drift angle is too high, it will be deemed a spin, and your points for the drift will be reset.
2. Distance from the Racing Line
You will be judged according to how far you strayed from the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. The farther you are away from the racing line, the more points you will lose.
3. Speed
You will be judged on the speed of your car during the drift. The higher your speed, the more points you will earn.
4. Duration
You will be judged on the duration of the drift. Sustain a drift that scores highly according to the three criteria above, and the number of points you earn will increase rapidly.
In Drift Trials, try to use tires that have as little grip as possible. It's also effective to fit tires with little grip on the rear wheels only. Bear in mind that the Active Stability Management (ASM) and Traction Control driving options will automatically be set to OFF.
Can you help me learn to drift one on one i read this but it is still confusing to me

i am driving an s13 and i cant get it to slide around a corner or i cant hold it long enough to transition to the next corner

Latest Posts

Back