Can't get on with new wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bailout
  • 56 comments
  • 3,224 views
Messages
162
Messages
jacker100
I've just bought my first wheel, a Logitech DFGT and after a couple of days I keep having to use the pad to get my proper GT5 fix. How people can win a race with these things is beyond me, I can't even keep my car on the track and thats with the force feedback set at 1.

I'm seriously thinking about putting it on ebay as I don't think I can use it again, or has anyone got any tips on how to get used to it? all I've done so far is a few practice laps. I can't even drive in a straight line!

I'm on GT5 for at least two hours a day since I bought it and I'm up to the expert series.

By the way I'm not a kid or anything, I've been driving 12 years!
 
It takes time man and when it start to work for you there is no going back. I cant stand driving with my pad now, my lap times are alot slow. Keep at it man you'll get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to really grip it and throw it around if need be.
 
Try searching the subject because there are a number of threads on the new wheel owner frustrations.

Most comments are give it time and practice, as all wheel users have to get used to the 'feel' of driving with their wheel.

And once you do get the feel you'll never go back to a controller!

In fact you will probably get a more expensive wheel and racing seat too, eventually!
 
Like you m8 I have been battling with a new DFGT Pro wheel now for over a week and I just cant get on with, the lock on these things is well to wide and unlike Shift and most other games on GT you can`t change it I end up ripping my shoulders out trying to catch a slide with the thing.

If there are no dramas during a race I get on ok with it but if for what ever reason I lose it trying to regain control with the wheel is a mare and 9/10 time imposable ,

and you try to drift with it :scared::crazy::ouch:

PS and yes I have the Wifi racing X rocker pro seat too, now that is cool.
 
Thanks for that, maybe its the table I've got it clamped to, its a flimsy kind of folding laptop table thing that keeps moving around. I think I'll knock a plywood stand up and screw it down onto the floorboards in front of the TV.

When using the wheel what veiw do people use? When using the pad I prefer the regular rear view (Outrun style) I prefer the see what the car is doing myself.
 
I think it's mentioned all the time. Go back through the license test and the other early events using the wheel. Don't forget to set your brake bias
 
Thanks for that, maybe its the table I've got it clamped to, its a flimsy kind of folding laptop table thing that keeps moving around. I think I'll knock a plywood stand up and screw it down onto the floorboards in front of the TV.

When using the wheel what veiw do people use? When using the pad I prefer the regular rear view (Outrun style) I prefer the see what the car is doing myself.

3Rd person view and the wheel is a BIG no no IMHO, better off with either the cockpit view or the bumper cam
 
No "out of car view" is good with a wheel IMO. As another stated - try going back to the license tests and running some of those.. There are also settings that can aid you - steering type to simulation and the force feedback should be higher IMO. Bumper cam or roof cam are best for a wheel(don't like in car because it makes the field of view smaller).

You can also try the "active steering options" which will help correct the attitude of the car without having a huge performance impact like the ASM does.
 
I like the bumper view and cockpit, but I always have used that view in any racing games. I think the view is a matter of choice.

As mentioned about drifting or collecting a slide. Man that takes a bit of work to master. I sort of let go of the wheel and catch it that way. This is the only time I have to go over 90deg from center.
 
Thanks for the ideas, while we're on the subject I miss not being able to zoom in with the R1 button, the writting on the menus is soo tiny!!

It appears you can't reconfigure it either?
 
Thanks for the ideas, while we're on the subject I miss not being able to zoom in with the R1 button, the writting on the menus is soo tiny!!

It appears you can't reconfigure it either?

You can zoom with the R1 button?? Sweet.
 
Bailout
Thanks for the ideas, while we're on the subject I miss not being able to zoom in with the R1 button, the writting on the menus is soo tiny!!

It appears you can't reconfigure it either?

You can have the DS3 on at the same time as the wheel and have control over that still in menus. Also - you can use the controller for actuating the wipers/horn etc while driving with the wheel, ya just have to take a hand off the wheel.
 
Ah? Thats good news, I tried to do that but it wouldn't work, I'll have another play after I win this race I'm on.
 
I have got the Logitech G27,i tried to clamp it to a computor desk,it was moving all over the place.Then i got myself a Wheel Stand Pro,what a difference,now my set up is as steady as a rock.Im not saying you should get the W.S.P,but you need to be clamping your wheel to something solid,or you will not get the best out of it.Dont give up yet,its still early days,like others have said you wont go back if you stick with it !!
 
dont drive really often with the DFGT but vettel challenge monza = gold suzuka = silver NB GP = bronze dont have really trouble with the wheel..

just more practise but DFGT is much faster than my pad times

force feedback 10 from start on
 
As far as I know you can't use the wheel and then decide to use the pad when driving. For me I couldn't steer at all with the pad. You can use the pad for Manu items only. That's my experience anyway. As for force feed back. I don't know, I have mine on 4. I just think if you have it on a lower setting it will make learning easier, but that is only my opinion. Guess you have to do what feels right.
 
I took me about 4 hours of cussing just to make around a track without crashing and about 3 days to get used to the DFGT enough to be almost as fast as the controller and I started with the feedback strength on 1 but never could recover from a slide until I put the feedback above 8 and now it stays on 10.

For me, the feedback strength had to be higher than 8 to feel the moment the rear got loose and all it takes is a quick jerk into the direction of the slide and jerk back . It takes some time but you will come to love the precise control especially throttle and brake inputs.
 
My son has a DFGT wheel and I tried it and liked it so much better than the controller, so, I bought myself a G27 to use with the PS3 and PC I have it clamped to a black & Decker workmate (Aldi version!) and drive from a high backed office chair in my cinema, image is 3m wide so reading the text and menus is no problem even sitting 3m away from the screen :D
Give it time it gets better but then again I never liked the controller and absolutly detest first person shooters on the PS3 because of the controller. Mouse an keyboard + Track ir on the PC is ace.
 
Make sure to set the wheel settings in GT5 to Simulator. When I first got my wheel I hated it and regretted the purchase, after changing the setting it was far better and MUCH faster.
 
Will be getting a wheel myself at some point but wont even consider it until you can get an interior view of every car because i just cant get the feeling of it otherwise !!
 
I've just bought my first wheel, a Logitech DFGT and after a couple of days I keep having to use the pad to get my proper GT5 fix. How people can win a race with these things is beyond me, I can't even keep my car on the track and thats with the force feedback set at 1.

I'm seriously thinking about putting it on ebay as I don't think I can use it again, or has anyone got any tips on how to get used to it? all I've done so far is a few practice laps. I can't even drive in a straight line!

I'm on GT5 for at least two hours a day since I bought it and I'm up to the expert series.

By the way I'm not a kid or anything, I've been driving 12 years!

Start with driving aids and slowly ween yourself off them after you get the feel for it you'll like it
 
And don't just mash on the gas feather it.
 
OK this is something most of you would be amazed to read
i bought my G25 about a year ago spent some nice times on my PC Sim's it was wonderful i bought it and my PS3 and kept waiting for GT5 to come out, i tried several times to use it and it never worked for me couldn't understand the lock on that thing !
driving touring cars for example is awesome because of the small lock those cars have i live in a small house and i don't have enough space to mount my wheel so it is kept in its box most of the time it is really frustrating i cant buy myself a W S P because they don't deliver it to my region
bare in mind that i'm blistery quick on the pad .
but the wheel is a very hard experience
i found out that if you set FFB off and you put it on amateur you will end up with better feel but still lots of understeer and you cannot correct one slide and judge your weight transfer at all .
 
I was like that at first ... Stick with it :)
 
Every week a new thread on this topic and every week there is only one thing to say:

PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE!

And why is it always about lap times? I can't remember my DS3 times but I guess I'm faster now with my wheel (bought 2 months ago) and even if I'm faster with the DS3 the wheel is soooo much more fun!
 
Yeah, Basilea summed it up just nicely. You need to focus :) Training is the key. Just be patient enough with yourself, the rest comes with time. When you´ll be able to lap around a track constantly, you´ll try to sharpen up braking points, corner entries, exits, etc...
You´ll even want to try left-foot braking and stuff. You won´t regret, give it a chance..
 
Will be getting a wheel myself at some point but wont even consider it until you can get an interior view of every car because i just cant get the feeling of it otherwise !!

Well i guess you won't be getting one then. Unless you can come to grips with the fact not all cars are going to have cockpit view. Alot of cars have cockpit view, just use those if you so hung up on it.
 
Yeah, Basilea summed it up just nicely. You need to focus :) Training is the key. Just be patient enough with yourself, the rest comes with time. When you´ll be able to lap around a track constantly, you´ll try to sharpen up braking points, corner entries, exits, etc...
You´ll even want to try left-foot braking and stuff. You won´t regret, give it a chance..

Interesting point in your last paragraph.

Who has a dfgt and what foot do you use for braking?

Me, I use my left because I find it faster if my foot is right there, sometimes I have brake on and accerlator but not often.
 
It is an interesting point, I had a foot on each pedel without realising until now, no wonder it felt strange, I was left foot braking! :crazy:
 
I use mine the same way I drive real cars right foot only. If you treat it like you would a real car you will get the hang of it much quicker. ;)
 
Back