Can't get on with new wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bailout
  • 56 comments
  • 3,224 views
Will be getting a wheel myself at some point but wont even consider it until you can get an interior view of every car because i just cant get the feeling of it otherwise !!
I wouldn't use interior view with a wheel.. its very distracting to see two wheels in front of you, especially when they're not turning by the same amount
 
harveya
Interesting point in your last paragraph.

Who has a dfgt and what foot do you use for braking?

Me, I use my left because I find it faster if my foot is right there, sometimes I have brake on and accerlator but not often.

I left foot brake for sure. Much faster IMO.

As for the wheel being tricky at first, it is. You definitely have to give it time. Don't use the pad at all. You will be slower at first but once you are used to it you will find things to be much easier to handle. I got my wheel for GT4 and I remember it taking a good while before I was putting up better times with it than the pad. But now my times with the wheel crush anything I try with the DS3.

Patience is key.
 
I'll be getting a wheel soon and I have a question,

I know its going to be hard, I know i'm going to be alot slower to start with but i'm prepared to for this, However as wondering, what would be better for me to train doing?

I was going to do all the licences but that might be abit boring so i'm now considering doing lap after lap on the green hell. Thats way I still get used to it but I also learn the track alot better too.

Thoughts?
 
Left-foot is the fastest way to go. But using your right one, is the closest to real, of course when you´re driving a road car.

I do use my H-shifter a lot the last time, so right foot is essential because you fully need your left for clutching.
One driving technique is heel-toe shifting, but that´s something I do not use properly, yet.

That comes with practice, practice, practice :)
 
@priesty: Try with small courses, like Tsukuba. First try to go around slowly, just for geting a feel to it. It´s all about "growing together" with your wheel in some way.
Step by step, that will be the key..
 
Left-foot is the fastest way to go. But using your right one, is the closest to real, of course when you´re driving a road car.
I do use my H-shifter a lot the last time, so right foot is essential because you fully need your left for clutching.
One driving technique is heel-toe shifting, but that´s something I do not use properly, yet.

That comes with practice, practice, practice :)

Depending on "what road car" :sly: My M3 SMG only has 2 pedals - while still being a "manual transmission." Paddle shifters/sequential stick but it still engages and disengages the clutch "like you would with your foot" but instead it is electro-hydraulically actuated. I get to left foot brake on a daily basis 👍

To the OP: Left foot braking can take some time to get used to(just like the wheel) - but IMO it will be a "faster" way around the circuit.
 
I am too a new-ish wheel user and I feel that compared to the DS3 I almosts feel like I have to turn in slightly earlier. Is this a realistic replication of the lag from steering wheel to wheels in a real car, or is there some kind of lag built in to the PS3 wheels, or does it sound like mine might be faulty? Its a DFGT by the way, with the settings set to simulator and force feedback 10.

Cheers for the advice.
 
Depending on "what road car" :sly: My M3 SMG only has 2 pedals - while still being a "manual transmission." Paddle shifters/sequential stick but it still engages and disengages the clutch "like you would with your foot" but instead it is electro-hydraulically actuated. I get to left foot brake on a daily basis 👍

To the OP: Left foot braking can take some time to get used to(just like the wheel) - but IMO it will be a "faster" way around the circuit.

I get your point, but hands down: Left foot braking in RL isn´t the most practical thing, is it? Let´s say, you´re not hunting after laptimes in reallife traffic. On track, that´s another story 👍

edit: By the way if we reallyare talking about reallife, then grats to your M3. That´s a mean machine, mate.
 
I am too a new-ish wheel user and I feel that compared to the DS3 I almosts feel like I have to turn in slightly earlier. Is this a realistic replication of the lag from steering wheel to wheels in a real car, or is there some kind of lag built in to the PS3 wheels, or does it sound like mine might be faulty? Its a DFGT by the way, with the settings set to simulator and force feedback 10.

Cheers for the advice.

Normally, the wheel should be lag-free. Or such small, that you won´t recognize it. Try maybe to lower the FF to a value around 5 and try again. I would recommend to start using a lower value and raise the FF continously to your personal taste. Sure it is a big change after the DS3, but it´s worth it after getting used to it.
 
I get your point, but hands down: Left foot braking in RL isn´t the most practical thing, is it? Let´s say, you´re not hunting after laptimes in reallife traffic. On track, that´s another story 👍

edit: By the way if we reallyare talking about reallife, then grats to your M3. That´s a mean machine, mate.


I would say FOR SURE on the track - but I have grown so used to left foot braking(had another M3 SMG prior to this one) that it feels "odd" to use my right foot. I did it the other day and hit the brakes so hard(accidently) that my neck snapped forward to the point it actually hurt. :) If the car has 3 pedals on the floor board, right foot braking for sure - and when you get to a place where you can drive fast, it is so rewarding when you can execute proper heel-toe braking..... 👍

Yes sir, lucky enough to have had 2 back to back E46 M3 SMG's. It was my "dream" car when I was in my senior year of HS as I graduated in 2001(first year of the E46) - I have been lusting after one ever since. Current one is a 2006(last year for the E46) Competition Package car that had 8k miles put on it in Europe prior to being a port of Germany pickup.... And the first owner and only owner prior to me is listed as BMW AG. I'm hoping to keep it forever - purchased Feb 1, 2010 with 24,598 miles and existing CPO warranty with prepaid maint. until 100k miles or the end of 2011. :) :) :) I consider myself VERY lucky.
 
Well i guess you won't be getting one then. Unless you can come to grips with the fact not all cars are going to have cockpit view. Alot of cars have cockpit view, just use those if you so hung up on it.

Will spend the money on the real car then :)

But if i have to admit that if it doesnt change i will be going to Forza.
 
Normally, the wheel should be lag-free. Or such small, that you won´t recognize it. Try maybe to lower the FF to a value around 5 and try again. I would recommend to start using a lower value and raise the FF continously to your personal taste. Sure it is a big change after the DS3, but it´s worth it after getting used to it.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it and will give it a go. 👍

It's very hard to know whether there is a lag or whether it is because I am not yet used to it. I can run similar lap times to my DS3 with it now but it just feels so unnatural! How does the FF compare with the G2x or other more expensive wheels in strength? Buying the DFGT was tester to see if I liked using a wheel or not, before possibly changing to something else if they are materially better. Are they as much better than the DFGT as their price point suggests?
 
Wow, that´s nice to hear, scaa. Wish you much fun and as always: be careful to her ;)
 
I have the DFGT as well and it took some time to get used to it at first. But now I don't think I could play without it... don't know if the wheel makes me faster than with the ds, but it's a lot more fun. It enhances the driving experience a lot for me.

And it probably makes quite a big different in the steering inputs you will have to make, because with the ds you just have to move your thumb a few millimeters while the wheel in extreme situations requires you to turn it 180 degrees or even more. The force feedback in the wheel also affects the steering as it actually moves the wheel, when the ds only vibrates in your hands.

Just take some time with practice and drive a lot and hopefully you'll become one with your wheel :)
 
Thanks for that, I appreciate it and will give it a go. 👍

It's very hard to know whether there is a lag or whether it is because I am not yet used to it. I can run similar lap times to my DS3 with it now but it just feels so unnatural! How does the FF compare with the G2x or other more expensive wheels in strength? Buying the DFGT was tester to see if I liked using a wheel or not, before possibly changing to something else if they are materially better. Are they as much better than the DFGT as their price point suggests?

I´d say from those wheel models you mentioned, all of them have mean FFB motors. I´m using the G25 and have my FFB set to 5. That´s enough for me, as I only want to get a bit more feedback about what´s happening on the track. Didn´t try it with settings 10, but don´t want to get my arms hurt, either :) Believe me, the DFGT is a very good wheel and will give you much fun. Considering that your laptimes are equal to your DS3´s, you´re on the right way. They´ll only get faster from now on.
 
I´d say from those wheel models you mentioned, all of them have mean FFB motors. I´m using the G25 and have my FFB set to 5. That´s enough for me, as I only want to get a bit more feedback about what´s happening on the track. Didn´t try it with settings 10, but don´t want to get my arms hurt, either :) Believe me, the DFGT is a very good wheel and will give you much fun. Considering that your laptimes are equal to your DS3´s, you´re on the right way. They´ll only get faster from now on.

Lovely stuff, thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Maybe I will try it at a slightly lower FF as you suggest and see if it makes a difference. I would sure love to be able to turn the rotation down a bit though, some of those hairpins are hands inside-out jobs!
 
with my son's DFGT I left foot brake but with the G27 I right foot brake. In "Real Life" I brake with my right foot except when I'm driving a go kart then I left foot brake. None of my real life cars have paddle shift and have never used it, My Range Rover can be modded to take a paddle shift but I don't see the point of it, I only use manual shift in it when I'm off road
 
Start with driving aids and slowly ween yourself off them after you get the feel for it you'll like it

The best advice. TCS comes in handy until you learn how to properly apply the throttle. Unlike other driving games/sims, in GT5 you can dial in the right amount of TCS. Start at a point where you're not constantly spinning or sliding coming out of a turn but challenging enough to require concentration.

Personally, I would advise against turning down the FFB. Instead I would use the power steering option (in the option menu with the FFB setting) if you want the steering to feel lighter. Yes, lower FFB can make you faster because you're not putting effort/pressure to turn the wheel. On the flip side, you're not getting the full effect of the FFB. At some point you'll find a good compromise (which hopefully mean you'll have it in the vicinity of 7-10).
 
Lovely stuff, thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Maybe I will try it at a slightly lower FF as you suggest and see if it makes a difference. I would sure love to be able to turn the rotation down a bit though, some of those hairpins are hands inside-out jobs!

Yeah, rotation is definetly an issue, that´s right. We gotta live with it I guess :)
All the best, enjoy it 👍
 
drifting with the wheel is hard but racing is easy. My 55 year old father tried it out soon after I got it and he loved it.
 
In "Real Life" I brake with my right foot except when I'm driving a go kart then I left foot brake.

Lol, I would think so too - driving with your legs crossed would be pretty tricky.... :P
 
I have had mine close to a month. Like others stated, clamping it too something solid makes a massive difference, you need to control the wheel, not the wheel control the enviroment.

Also, i found myself learning to two foot drive, left foot breaking etc.. sometimes I get into my real car and forget and get to a turning and go all panic coz im not sure what foot to use !!
 
Like anything, it takes a little getting used to. Ditto on setting it to "simulation" and up your feedback strength to around 4 or 5. I can't play GT5 without the DFGT now. In fact, I won the Eifel F1 seasonal event race by a 18 sec. margin over the AI...yet I'm stuck at Bronzes in the Vettel challenge.

Keep at it. You won't regret it.
 
Will spend the money on the real car then :)

But if i have to admit that if it doesnt change i will be going to Forza.

I just got my new copy of Forza 3 in the mail but not sure when I will open. Every car has a cockpit but unfortunately xbox 360 seems to have a big void for racing wheels atm unless you can score that crazy expensive fanatec $500 wheel + pedal combo. It's out of stock right now tho til April I think the site said. They only sell like 10k units. No idea if this company think its making collector editor wheels or they just have limited resources for some bizzare reason

Oh btw I had same issue as OP. But was using that Driving Force Pro that a buddy let me borrow. Im going to give it one last chance.

I'm pissed bout this whole racing wheel thing. I was thinking bout getting a G25/G27 but they are crazy expensive atm (like $299) and impossible to find in stores!
 
Last edited:
I didnt take the time to read through every post and I have a fanatec wheel so keep that in mind.

For me I had to make sure the wheel rotation is set to 900 deg. otherwise it was way to twitchy to hold the car straight.
I found for me starting out with lower powered cars helped get the feeling of the wheel and pedals. Coming from the controller where it was Smash X and slam Square to pedals where I had more control and could feather the throttle and didnt have to lock up the brakes before a corner was a big learning curve. It feels more fluid when I am driving now, more like "real life".
Suzuka course with something like the vw golf on sport medium/soft helped me out.
 
I've skim-read this thread too but yes check the lock on the wheel, sometimes, no disrespect but I wonder if people actually read the manual and play with settings for such things lol

Also regarding the R2 (or R1? I forget) zoom feature this works for CRT TVs but not for HD TVs with an HDMI connection. It might also work with HD TVs with a non HD connection (eg scart or composite) but not tried this, and why would you want to?
 
Back