Can't win online

  • Thread starter Thread starter bushmaster
  • 12 comments
  • 1,264 views
Messages
152
Canada
Lindsay ON
Messages
jw245732
Why is it that when I race online the other cars seem to always be faster. We are running the same PP or Hp but they drive away from me on the straits. I have tried tuning the trans and suspension but I just can't seem to be able to get the speed out of my cars and I have tried a lot of different cars. What am I doing wrong
 
Why is it that when I race online the other cars seem to always be faster. We are running the same PP or Hp but they drive away from me on the straits. I have tried tuning the trans and suspension but I just can't seem to be able to get the speed out of my cars and I have tried a lot of different cars. What am I doing wrong

Corner exit speeds? The higher your speed on the exit the quicker you complete each straight.

Do you tune for power over handling? Too much downforce? Too LITTLE downforce?
 
Basically people add all (or many or most) of the +hp parts, and then use the power limiter to fit into an HP or PP restriction.

Doing that, gives MANY (if not most) cars a serious power/torque advantage somehow.

If you're not using the upgraded parts & using the power limiter, I'd bet that's your speed issue right there. All the good cornering in the world isn't going to let you compete with an upgraded car with a mechanical advantage.

I'm not really sure how it works (because I'm no expert on cars nor am I an expert on how gt5 works)... but if you look at the power/torque graph in the tuning of a car... you can see the graph looks "better" if you have the added parts, and power limit down to the same hp (or pp), than if you don't have the parts & have that same hp or pp.

Here's what I've said on this topic before:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5235419#post5235419

Or here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5251653#post5251653

Here's some other threads on this issue:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196351&highlight=pp+fails

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200752&highlight=pp+upgrade+online

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201041

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201278&highlight=pp+upgrade+online

People who've played this game a lot for awhile now, have figured out ALL sorts of ways to tune for mechanical advantage. If you don't know their tips & tricks, you're not going to fare well.
I highly recommend the Tuning section of this forum if you want to tune cars to be competitive for online racing.
 
Last edited:
Darn, WMP's answer is pretty comprehensive compared to mine!

There's some good reference material in there :D
 
Darn, WMP's answer is pretty comprehensive compared to mine!

There's some good reference material in there :D

This is one of my pet topics... heehee ;)
I've been complaining about this topic needing to be pinned for newbies since joining the forum. haha.

Because multiplayer online racing can be the most fun part of gt5... But if you don't know how the game is played... then it can be the most galling, confusing, frustrating, miserable experience!
 
I am using the tuning from this site and all of the stuff I can get for my cars.And I am not new to race cars but it doesn't seem to matter if the room is a no aids room, or a room with the aids on and the power limiter set to what is being used. I can't seem too get my cars to match the straight line speed and I get blown away when I get on the straights. I have tried changing the trans and final drive ratio but it doesn't seem to help that much.

I can start in the front or mid pack and I can stay with the pack till there is a long straight an then they just seem to walk away from me.

And I don't really care if I win as I love to race and I used to race off road cars but I would just like to be able to run and stay with the pack. I have spent thousands on tuning what am I doing wrong
 
I am using the tuning from this site and all of the stuff I can get for my cars.And I am not new to race cars but it doesn't seem to matter if the room is a no aids room, or a room with the aids on and the power limiter set to what is being used. I can't seem too get my cars to match the straight line speed and I get blown away when I get on the straights. I have tried changing the trans and final drive ratio but it doesn't seem to help that much.

I can start in the front or mid pack and I can stay with the pack till there is a long straight an then they just seem to walk away from me.

And I don't really care if I win as I love to race and I used to race off road cars but I would just like to be able to run and stay with the pack. I have spent thousands on tuning what am I doing wrong

All things being equal, you may be experiencing lag.

That being said, I'd love to race against you online sometime in identical stock cars. Taking the tuning aspect out of the game would let me know if it's a tuning problem, or a technique problem. Having a car dialed in doesn't amount to squat if the driver doesn't know how to get the most out of what he's given. I used to race in Prologue, and in the Professional events you could see who was ready and who was lying, all on the 1st lap.

Not to worry, though, as altering your driving style is much easier than trying to fix a bad tune. If it's a problem with your technique, it could easily be diagnosed and addressed in ten quick laps or less.
 
I would be up for that to see if it is my driving style or I am not getting the best from my tuning
 
I would be up for that to see if it is my driving style or I am not getting the best from my tuning

I also recommend time trials. Go to the Arcade mode, pick a stock car, adjust the driver aids for your style, and run 10 laps on an unfamiliar circuit. Within 5 laps, you should've discovered something (a driving line, braking point, rhythm) that you didn't notice before, and within 10 laps you should have a basic understanding of the track. Occasionally take a mental note of your sector times.

When you're done, watch your replay, and take some notes. Record each of your lap times to get an accurate measurement of your consistency. Do your times vary by seconds, or by tenths? Watch your sector times to see where and how you left time and speed on the track, and try to gauge what a perfect lap time would be and what it should feel like.

Then, when your done with that, smoke a cigarette and relax. If you don't smoke, or whatever, do something different for about 5-10 minutes, and reflect on what you've learned. This will help recalibrate you from velocitation.

After all that, try 10 more laps on the same track with the same car. Compare your results, and you should get a pretty accurate idea whether it's the car, or it's you.


...at least, that's how I did it. I'm not the fastest, but for using a DS3, I'm not bad either.
 
Why is it that when I race online the other cars seem to always be faster. We are running the same PP or Hp but they drive away from me on the straits. I have tried tuning the trans and suspension but I just can't seem to be able to get the speed out of my cars and I have tried a lot of different cars. What am I doing wrong

I was having the same problem until I noticed I was not using racing soft tires :ouch:. ABS set to 1 helps a lot too...or maybe it's just a psychological factor to make you corner better and speed up faster after cornering :)
 
A bad tune is like a bad golf swing. If you practice a bad golf swing you will prefect it. If you practice a bad tune to will become perfectly slow..
 
its because: 1. your used to offline physics. 2. they have a car with every upgrade & lowered BHP to meet the limits.


IMO....Online for GT5 is broken. they need to make lobbies like the seasonal events but for racers to join.
 
McClarenDesign seems to have a great many good ideas.

Step 1:
Address your potential lag/latency issues.

- If you're using wireless, switch to a hard wired network cable from your PS3 to your router. (We use a cat 6 cable.)

- Make sure the router itself is in good condition.

- Check the cord from your router to your DSL wall outlet. If it's old, replace it. Make sure it's not being pinched anywhere.

- Check your DSL wall outlet. If it's old, REPLACE IT. Naturally over time, the wires & connectors get corroded (you'll see green if you go inside there). It's oxidization. The problem can start with intermittent lowering of connection... so when you check your connection - it may be at full capacity - but then getting shorted at times, and when you're "not looking" actually being slow or stopping intermittently. And you won't know until it just gets so bad you're always getting slow connection times & then having trouble connecting at all.

Step 2:

Figure out if you're tuning well to suit you.
McClarenDesign's offer to try untuned 1 make racing with you is a good suggestion!
If you try racing in identical stock vehicles... you'll get a better idea about what your skill level is.
If you try one make racing allowing tuning... then it will tell you nothing - because it could be someone else is just better at tuning to their own needs than you are. Others are right to say someone else's perfect tune set-up might not be right for everyone!! And like someone else said, you can set-up a tune that you're doing really well with... but as it turns out, it's not the fastest that car can go. You might have to adjust yourself to the better set-up to compete with best times in that car. There's a lot of variables.
In online racing I constantly struggle with setting up a car I can push a lot out of & make good time, but also setting it up so that it's still stable enough that I can also be consistent. In a 20 lap race, it doesn't matter if I can get 2 laps at lightning speed, if the rest of my laps are crap because I'm having trouble keeping the car under control consistently.

Another way to get a feel for where your strengths & weaknesses lay, easily & without much effort. Try some online SHUFFLE racing. Everyone is randomly given STOCK cars with no tuning, on comfort tires. If you lose one race, the next race you're given a "better" car. Though that better car may not be one that YOU find easier to drive!
Shuffle racing really makes it obvious if you're better with some drivetrains more than others. And the fact that you know that when you lose one race, the next race you're given a faster car... if you're still having trouble competing, all the time, then it's obviously a skill-level issue with whatever particular cars, on whatever particular tracks.
 
Back