Car damage is "very, very soon" according to Yamauchi

  • Thread starter Thread starter yossigab
  • 60 comments
  • 5,997 views
The great thing about the PS3 compared to the PS1 and PS2 is that it is so powerful. With the older consoles if they were to create damage modelling then it would all have to be pre-calculated and the extra processing power would mean worse graphics.

However, because the PS3 is so powerful it means that they can basically tell the console the laws of physics, and then the CELL can calculate all the forces caused by an impact in real time, and it shouldn't effect the graphics too much.

The fact that the damage calculations can be done in real time means that it is 10,000x more realistic than it would have been had they pre-calculated everything and added damage to GT4!

I say bring on GT5 and bring on damage!
 
Ideally, I would want the crashes to be as violent as those in Burnout Paradise. Imagine the horror of spinning out at Daytona and sitting there like a deer in headlights as rush of cars come at you. :)

But I know that would never happen.

To be honest I only care about collision physics and performance damage not visual damage. To have good damage you have to build the game and models around damage.
 
I hope not, and I don't like the idea of disabling ABS either, I'll have to learn to drive all over again. The best part about GT is not having to put up with a busted ride, if the computer cheats and rams you it doesn't effect you. Now we'll have to restart a 24hr race after 8hrs of racing because Bob crashed once. What a load.

So? This adds realism, and is exactly what GT needs.
 
I vote for realism. Point blank. Damage, Advance Tuning, Motor Swaps, 1000 plus vechiles, And Real AI.
 
I don't want damage, it is never done correctly.

Everytime you crash the car in the same part of the bodywork, you always get the same effects. Bump, then bonnet, then bonnet falling off...etc.etc...

I don't think technology is ready for it yet.
 
"Gran Turismo - The Ultimate Driving Simulator" Realism. I love the idea of damage and as for cost of damage.... It's all part of racing, ok race teams pay to repair cars, but when you have privateers, it's all on them. Yes as everyone has their own opinions the option of damage should be implemented, as far as damage levels are concerned. If I were pulling a wheelie traveling at about 1000kph I'd be expecting the car to desintegrate as opposed to dented doors swinging open
 
Hmmm, and there's your next wish on te list. The ability to start teams, so people can join a team, or better: get invited for a team, max 2 drivers from 1 team in a race. Sorry, I'll stop dreaming ;-)
 
the big point with damage and paying for it are those online races. If someone rams you and because of that you total your F430 beyond repair. Are you going to pay for that.

guess not. So are you going to disable the autosave feature and just start saving if after the race and repairs you have more money in your account ?
where is the realism in that?

I would welcome car damage but having to pay for repairs after an online race is ridiculous.
Infact you should have the option of choosing car damage, time penalties or nothing at all.
Let the kids play with nothing at all.

I guess an adequate action would be to decrease your winnings by a percentage of damage or time penalties acquired. (or both - short cutting)
 
I like the idea of damage but damage would be a very bad idea for the GT series unless they make some massive improvements with the AI. :crazy:
 
The more realism the better! It's the one thing GT5p lacks. The physics are OK, but still far far away from racing sims like Live for Speed. However, I do not want to total my cars, having to buy new ones. But a small fee is OK. Imagine you have sponsors or racing insurance that takes care of most of the cost, but you still have to pay some of it depending on the severity.
 
The physics are OK, but still far far away from racing sims like Live for Speed.

Are you joking ?
LFS physics is crap compared to GT5:P.

TzzTzz
 
Well then you should really open your eyes. I'm not saying GT5p has bad physics, I'm just stating the fact that LFS' physics are top notch world class #1 at the moment, and constantly improving. I'm not gonna say another word on the subject as I plan to enjoy both games!
 
Ok take a game like V8 Supercars Race Driver 3. That has the most damage I've seen yet. That AI isn't so bad I find the damage comes from my style of driving. PD yes will have to make adjustments here and there, some bigger than others (There has to be something wrong in every game) and you'll probably find it's not so bad. Cost yeah ok sponsors and insurance. I don't know I mean when you're racing around in your road going Ferrari F40, who will your sponsors be? The factory itself? I reckon some kind of allowance. An amount of "damage cash" that you can accrue over time and you choose when to use it
 
Are you joking ?
LFS physics is crap compared to GT5:P.

TzzTzz

have you ever driven a car in real life?
anyway physics in gt5:P are good, but could be better.
 
LFS is good, but I think not as good as GT5. But then again, LFS don't use real life cars, So its too hard to compare.
 
Who said you won't be able to disable damage for online races? Or even run online with damage but only in that race, not permanently?

Damage is very good, am I too old or is there someone here who played Need For Speed: Porsche Challenge? It had damage, you had to pay for repairs, and it was very good. I always played with damage on, cause like some of you said it gives is pseudo fear of crashing, cause you will have to pay on the aftermath.

I say, "Let the damage come to me", and that is the only realistic perspective.
 
I like the idea of damage but damage would be a very bad idea for the GT series unless they make some massive improvements with the AI. :crazy:

Exactly. If the 'realism' of damage is included, There should also be the realism of a black flag.
 
Soon is clearly a subjective statement: :crazy:

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue gets Smashed
Vehicle deformation could arrive as soon as Autumn says Yamauchi.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, April 3, 2008 - It may have taken more than a little time for Polyphony to warm to the idea, but Gran Turismo head Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that the series is finally going to be implementing damage, saying it could be included as a downloadable feature for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue as early as this Autumn.

In an interview with IGN earlier today, Yamauchi said that, "maybe by Fall we'll be able to implement it," before confirming that it would feature as a download for Prologue, which launched in the UK and across Europe last week. Gran Turismo has long been famed for its refusal to include any vehicle deformation, despite heightening demands from its fan-base, and any inclusion of the feature would be a massive boon for the series.

We'll have the full interview tomorrow, including Yamauchi's verdict on working on a Formula 1 title in the future, so check back for further details.
From IGN.com
 
Soon is clearly a subjective statement: :crazy:

From IGN.com

Was just about to post that! Looks like Prologue is going to be a test bed for all of GT's new features.
 
awesome, looking forward to what he has to say on the formula1 part :D
 
Considering the time scale PD works on, I would also call autumn "very, very soon."
 
Considering the time scale PD works on, I would also call autumn "very, very soon."

Oh - for me is very, very soon within the next 30 minutes !
 
Maybe, with the dameges, there will be more fair play in the online race... I hope
 
Actually, it could possibly be ready in time for the full version of GT5. In this video, towards the end, they mention something about individual parts being modeled by components, such that parts like the bumper, etc, may be replaced by other parts in the future. While this lends itself primarily to additional car customization, I don't think it would be too far off to see the same idea being used as a basis for realistic damage. [/speculation]
Yep, that is correct I think.
If you look closely at the cars in GT5P you can see that every part is modeled separately.

Interesting to know is home much CPU power is left to calculated deformation.
 
i would LOVE to have fully dynamic and realistic damage....what would also be awesome is if the safety car plays a role...someone crashes heavily, yellow flag and safety car come out and have that for a lap or two until the wreck is 'cleared' and then go on with the race...having debris on the track from contact would also be sweet...

basically, im all for it being as real as possible.
 
Back