**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 13/07/12**

I'll be on around 10p CST, and will post up the room number in this post, via ninja edit. Or you can send me a message on the PSN, and I'll get you the number that way.

All are welcome to join!
Definitely coming. :D I just have to take a shower..lol

Having a little problem with this one :dopey:
nrburgringnordschleife1xb.jpg

nrburgringnordschleife2a.jpg

nrburgringnordschleife3j.jpg

Back to the garage to bang out the dents, and see what I can do with it :D

How in the world did you get that car to roll, I didn't know it would go fast enough :sly: I have been bouncing over the curbs at London like a mad man and she barely even gets any air. Speaking of London, I have a 1:12.8 something, something or another, I will have to check when I get home from work as I forgot my notebook.

MustangManiac
Speaking of London, I have a 1:12.8 something, something or another, I will have to check when I get home from work as I forgot my notebook.

That's about right. I lost my time in the last sector.

MustangManiac
How in the world did you get that car to roll, I didn't know it would go fast enough :sly: I have been bouncing over the curbs at London like a mad man and she barely even gets any air. Speaking of London, I have a 1:12.8 something, something or another, I will have to check when I get home from work as I forgot my notebook.

porthillking
How the heck did you manage that? :scared:

Nasty cross wind on the Nurb :D.

A very weird tune on the car... needs some adjusting :dopey:

krenkme
Nasty cross wind on the Nurb :D.

A very weird tune on the car... needs some adjusting :dopey:

Quit playing around, you could've killed someone!

Good stuff, krenkme.

Mini Cooper 1.3i 1998

Goodbye Porkpie!

Mini_98_London_3_rsz.jpg

My first car was a Mini. A white 1977 BL Mini 1000 with brown interior, 10 years old when I got it. It needed sills and some other welding, which my dad got one of his mates to do. He resprayed with a crappy little spray gun; it needed polishing but I never got round to it. It didn't matter - it was my first taste of the freedom that only a car can give you. At 17 that is a very important thing indeed. The only changes I made to it was fit a sports steering wheel as I couldn't get my legs under the giant original and of course a stereo radio/cassette player and speakers. I had it for two years until I went to Uni.

I have three in my GT5 garage: one I've almost max tuned but can't remember using and two untouched. I took the seemingly popular Volcano Pearl example, and did the usual rebuilds to get 64 BHP 720Kg and 324pp.

Mini_CSR5_3.jpg

At Trial Mountain, things begin pretty much as expected: despite 50 years of development and the addition of fuel injection this venerable A series engine doesn't pack a lot of punch, and progress isn't helped by the wide four speed 'box. It takes a lap to get used to the responsive turn-in and keep things fairly smooth.

The relatively sedate pace means not too much braking is required but the Mini is stable with a 3/1 bias and no ABS. These late Mini's had front discs after all. After a couple of laps I get into the swing of it and carrying speed through the corners despite the CM tyres.

Mini_98_TrialMountain_1-1.jpg

It seemed right to emulate Iainn's trip around London, and luckily it stopped raining long enough for a few laps. The Mini is right at home in the City, and I enjoyed 15 laps on a track I often find a bit annoying. As long as you don't carry too much speed into a corner, anything goes with the Mini: you can throw it about a bit, lift-off or a dab of handbrake to help you turn in and there is barely enough power to cause much understeer. However to keep a decent time, you must resist mucking about and keep up momentum and revs.

Stock Mini 64 BHP 720Kg 324pp on Comfort Medium:
Trial Mountain - 2:04.458
London - 1:15.663

As good as the stock Mini is, the pace is a little pedestrian so I undertook some work on my other untouched car. Weight loss to stage 2 and poly windows, stage 3 engine and race air and exhaust along with drivetrain components, diff, and race suspension, resulted in 666Kg 110BHP and 405pp.

Mini_98_pur_TTGTT_3.jpg

First stop was Trial Mountain, with Sports Hards, the five speed close-ratio box and basic setup of suspension and mild diff settings. Now I was having fun! The stage 3 engine revs freely from 6000rpm to red line, now at 8000, and the close ratio gearing works with this nicely to give decent acceleration. The setup and grip work well enough and I got 1.51.9 after a few laps.

I took this setup to Windy Hill where it performed well for a 1:15, although here and at Trial Mountain I lost time by topping out at around 105mph on the straight.

Mini_98_WindyHill_4.jpg

Again borrowing from Iainn I went to Eiger K for a handful of laps, the only change I made was to raise the suspension and soften things a little bit (after first neglecting to do this and having my hands shaken to bits by the force feed back on my wheel :dunce:). This was really good - the Mini is great off road and I expect would perform better with a good setup. If you compare it in game with a 60s FR, say the Alfa Giulietta, you can see why the Mini shook up the rallying world.

Eiger K, 666Kg 110BHP and 405pp came in at 4:03.7.

Mini_98_EigerK_4.jpg

Finally, I took to the Touge. Back to the tarmac setup, but added the high rpm turbo to give over 170 bhp. I first went with the 6 speed close ratio transmission, which is fine, if busy, in the twisties but still topped out at around 105mph on the long straight. So I changed to custom tranny, and just did auto adjustment to 137ish mph. Even with this power the Mini is in control and planted, though obviously wheelspin and understeer become more prominent; the gearing and diff need some adjustment be optimum but the car is just great. I beat the time I set in the AC Cobra in the earlier CotW, though that lap was mostly sideways.

Mini_98_EigerK_10.jpg

I chose the Mini this week because it is a true British great and an innovative desgin - it was produced with little change for 40 years. I hadn't previously used it in the game, and I don't think the stock car has too much to bring you back, but when you start tuning it the fun really begins. Although the big power is fun, I actually found the NA setup with 110bhp nicer to drive being more balanced. Now I can't get enough, it's really quite addictive and I'll be on the look out for good setups.

Time to change the points (again), reach for the clothes peg and back to the track...

Mini_98_TrialMountain_3-1.jpg

Last edited:
This car deserves a Premium upgrade. I'd love to see it with an aero kit, and would kill for an RM option.

1998 Mini Cooper 1.3i​

DeepForestRaceway_14.jpg

My Mini Cooper showed up in the ucd just this weekend painted Volcano Pearl with 78K+ miles on her. After an oil change she was rated at 60hp/316pp and with my mild tune she came to 79hp/348pp. I liked the color so much I painted my custom rims to match. The numbers posted at the test track:

............stock / tuned
1/4 mi..21.101 / 18.322
1.0 mi..53.336 / 46.779
0 - 60..16.486 / 10.950
to 100....n/a / 36.920
max G....00.32 / 00.44
max spd.103.4 / 111.0

DeepForestRaceway_13.jpg

My best lap at Deep Forrest raceway with the stock car was 1:53.6 and with the tuned version 1:40.069. She was quite slow and unexciting in stock form, but with even minor adjustments she started to come alive. A five speed close ratio gearbox to replace that very drawn out four gear and some stickier rubber pepped her right up.

London_5.jpg

I just don't see how you can go wrong with this car, no matter what you throw at her she settles in quickly and goes where you point her.

London_4.jpg

A few laps around a tight little street circuit like London was all it took to show that. I posted a 1:12.8 with the stock car and a 1:07.929 with the tune.

London_3.jpg

I was even able to get some air with this car, but no matter what I just couldn't upset her. No wonder this car is so popular, I do not think I have ever driven something so forgiving.

London_2.jpg

I used to race motorcycles in the dirt, but 4 wheelin' in the dirt has never been my strong point. As a matter of fact, I probably suck at it. I have been told that this car is right at home in the dirt though so I installed a set of dirt tires and gave it a shot.

Toscana.jpg

I decided on a few laps at Toscana, with the time change as I wanted to check out the night driving. Someone was right, this car is just at home and just as forgiving in the dirt as she is on the pavement.

Toscana_1.jpg

As a matter of fact this was the most fun I have had driving in the dirt in GT-5! I posted a 2:25.917 stock and a 2:18.125 tuned at the track.

Toscana_2.jpg

I have wanted one of these since the newer ones came out and now I want one even more, what a great litlle car!

Toscana_3.jpg

Latest Posts

Back