Car Physics Change?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SilverGTV8
  • 39 comments
  • 2,576 views
Messages
12
Has any one noticed after taking a car into a wall one to many times that the handling changes?

I have been doing the Pro series final race. I have a car that is very competative. I did won every race up until I raced hong kong. I just got killed on that track. After that the car handling just stinks. It won't turn in easily and is hunts all over the track at higher speeds. Since then it is a super fustrating race. I can win but the car just won't do it.

Really starting to annoy me.

has anyone else noticed this?
 
Maybe it is time for the chassis to be refreshed. With high mileage the forces and bending of the body make it lose its stiffness and affects the handling. Go to others(with weight reduction, roll cage etc) in the tuning section and look for chassis refresh. Costs 50 grand. Hope this helps.
 
that is awsome. might sound like a pain to you but u just made me want the game even more. it means u cant throw the car into the wall then keep going like its a brand new car. u actually need to care for the car on a whole new level. thanks.
less than 40 hrs to go for us aussies... thursday ppl.
 
phresh
that is awsome. might sound like a pain to you but u just made me want the game even more. it means u cant throw the car into the wall then keep going like its a brand new car. u actually need to care for the car on a whole new level. thanks.
less than 40 hrs to go for us aussies... thursday ppl.

Yep sounds good, I gotta pick my Pre Ordered copy up at 9 AM sharp htursday morning.
 
I nocited the same thing.

The car would slowly drift to the right, at first I thought it was my controller but after switching cars it would stop.
 
Kremithefrog
Like flip said, it really sounds more like just the tires wearing out.

I agree it's just the tires and the bumps on the road.
 
could it be a return of the damage system in gt2?
 
eastley
I gotta pick my Pre Ordered copy up at 9 AM sharp htursday morning.

Yep, so am I 👍
 
VIPERGTSR01
Yep, so am I 👍
I think sliding increases tire wear. Its not hard to think sliding into walls would increase tire wear faster. Once the tire wear hits read u will be sliding all over the place.
 
Well hopefully it will stop all the wall-riding ... 'cause anybody can do that and bounce off other cars around bends and win ... but this chassis refresh option sounds real cool, especially as I'm still waiting here for GT4 to arrive ! Only the 18th !! :grumpy:
 
Chassis refresh would do the trick..

If it was the tires i'm sure he'd just pit. Or look at the tire display and see it.
 
It seems that the more you bump into walls or other cars, the quicker your tires wear out... and yeah, check the tire monitor. It sounds like you've just simply run out of rubber. You can't do Hong Kong without pitting. Well you could, but for me the tires degraded too quickly.
 
This tyre wearing business seems so unrealistic to me, how on earth can a tyre degrade it self to nothing in 5 laps? seriously though in the real Formula 1 they have 1 set of tyres for all the race and they do ok with it, but 5 god damn laps is stupid.
 
eastley
This tyre wearing business seems so unrealistic to me, how on earth can a tyre degrade it self to nothing in 5 laps? seriously though in the real Formula 1 they have 1 set of tyres for all the race and they do ok with it, but 5 god damn laps is stupid.

TYre wear is accelerated slightly to account for the fact that GT4 is a game, however rapid tyre wear of this nature is more than possiable.

On the Best Motoring DVD 'Fuji Fast' they talk about GT racing at Fuji and how during qualifing the tyres were designed for maximum grip, but were very, very soft and would last only 1 hot lap.
 
Scaff
TYre wear is accelerated slightly to account for the fact that GT4 is a game, however rapid tyre wear of this nature is more than possiable.

On the Best Motoring DVD 'Fuji Fast' they talk about GT racing at Fuji and how during qualifing the tyres were designed for maximum grip, but were very, very soft and would last only 1 hot lap.

Yes true but...

Gran Turismo 4 - The real Driving Simulator

Why don't the game Simulate realistic tyre wear?
 
He just got done saying it did.. There is MANY different types of tires. GT just decided to put generic ones in.. They aren't quality brand name pieces of rubber. If you were driving your porsche around a track for 5 laps at full throttle, hard braking, sliding, spinning the wheels throughout or after a corner, your tires would wear out very very fast. I mean, you're laying down a LOT of rubber on the road. If you were to take soft tires, it would go even faster. If you want longer lasting tires, you go with the super hard tires. It may be a bit harder to control your car, but the tires will last alot longer in the long run.

You would burn up a $500 set of radials (aka, sport tires in GT) in just about the same amount of time if you were to be driving like a mad-man around a track. Why do you think people have to buy new tires if they go out on the nurb? (I'm talking real life) -- On www.nurburgring.org.uk, the dude states that you have to set aside money for tires, and anything else that you may fear will go wrong while racing around the track. I'm not talking just leasurely driving, though, so dont think i am.
 
Acid X
He just got done saying it did.. There is MANY different types of tires. GT just decided to put generic ones in.. They aren't quality brand name pieces of rubber. If you were driving your porsche around a track for 5 laps at full throttle, hard braking, sliding, spinning the wheels throughout or after a corner, your tires would wear out very very fast. I mean, you're laying down a LOT of rubber on the road. If you were to take soft tires, it would go even faster. If you want longer lasting tires, you go with the super hard tires. It may be a bit harder to control your car, but the tires will last alot longer in the long run.

You would burn up a $500 set of radials (aka, sport tires in GT) in just about the same amount of time if you were to be driving like a mad-man around a track. Why do you think people have to buy new tires if they go out on the nurb? (I'm talking real life) -- On www.nurburgring.org.uk, the dude states that you have to set aside money for tires, and anything else that you may fear will go wrong while racing around the track. I'm not talking just leasurely driving, though, so dont think i am.

I agree with everything that was said, but why didn't PD put real tyres in the game?
 
It probably would have cost them more money.. I dont care, though. Atleast we have the choice to change our tires!
 
Acid X
It probably would have cost them more money.. I dont care, though. Atleast we have the choice to change our tires!

I'm ok with the tyre damage in the game, but how ever the difference between your tyre wear and the AI's tyre seems to be different, I would of liked this to be more even.
 
Tire wear is based on more than just the tire composition. If your car is heavier than your opponents, you will have more tire wear due to all the extra friction caused by the extra weight. So if you're racing a Buick GNX versus a Zonda (on El Capitan), your GNX will have to pit by lap 9 at the latest, while the zonda pits around lap 20. I made the mistake of trying this. Haha..

Also, you have to remember, the AI is programmed to have FULL control of the car. This means perfect braking, turning, lines, and acceleration. The PC knows exactly when the tires start to spin and lets off just enough to stop it. This greatly increases the length of a tires life on a car..
 
Acid X
Tire wear is based on more than just the tire composition. If your car is heavier than your opponents, you will have more tire wear due to all the extra friction caused by the extra weight. So if you're racing a Buick GNX versus a Zonda (on El Capitan), your GNX will have to pit by lap 9 at the latest, while the zonda pits around lap 20. I made the mistake of trying this. Haha..

Also, you have to remember, the AI is programmed to have FULL control of the car. This means perfect braking, turning, lines, and acceleration. The PC knows exactly when the tires start to spin and lets off just enough to stop it. This greatly increases the length of a tires life on a car..

HHHHmmmmm good point. You win
 
Haha.. It wasnt really a battle. More of a teaching lesson, i suppose. ;)
 
Acid X
Haha.. It wasnt really a battle. More of a teaching lesson, i suppose. ;)

I knew everything about tyre wear, like the tyres used in F1 are not $500 there like thousands for one tyre. Anyhow I just never thought of the AI being like that.

Is it also true that u get penalized for bumping the AI racers?

I might be getting a wheel with my GT4, can't afford the DFP but I can get the normal DF, is it worth it?
 
In the special condition races, and in most mission hall tests, yes, you get penalized. If you hit the car in front of you, you get a 5 second penalty in which you cannot go faster than about 35mph. In some mission halls its really very easy to knock the other car off the track. If you hit them hard enough you can still win easily, even with the 5 sec penalty. Though it's a rather cheap move.




But i've done it.
 
eastley
I might be getting a wheel with my GT4, can't afford the DFP but I can get the normal DF, is it worth it?

Used a DF wheel with GT3 and GTC to great effect, however if you can stretch to the DFP it is more than worth it.

I've been using one with GT4P and the BMW demo and it help in a huge way.

You will also find that using a wheel and pedal helps control tyre wear, you can modulate the throttle far better with pedals than the DS2. Full throttle wheel spins murder tyres, the smooth but rapid acceleration that the pedals allow will reduce tyre wear.

You may (if you are not already) want to try manual gear changes, this helps to optimise the gear you are in for a particular corner and can also cut down on wheel spin.

A good example of this (from GT3) is the last hairpin at Midfield (the one with the tunnel straight after); its a 1st or 2nd gear corner in most cars and in a powerful RWD car its easy to get back on the power to quickly and shread the tyres. I found that changing up earlier that the auto 'box would; allows me to get back on the power quicker.

Gives me more control, faster exit speed and its kinder to my tyres.
 
One little "tehnical" add-on: you can make a strategic movement for tyre wear by wisefully setting the brake-balance for the particular car, taking into account the position of the engine and/or weight distribution during braking. Some serious sparing of wear can be made there.

Also, some fine-tuning can be made with leveling the position of the weight-balance, but it is something for the "Mental" section in this moment IMHO. However, it also affect the tyre wear and I guess I'll make some investigations of that part during the years to come prior the GT5 release:).
 
Well the car has less then 300 miles on it when this started happening, so if it needed chassie refreshener with only that......

As for tire wear, it does it from the start to the time they are warm to the time there is no rubber.

I really think running into a wall and such is the real reason the refreshener is there.

If i recall when the car is new the "refreshener" is checked saying you don't need to buy it. I got so sick of fighting just to finish the race and pi$$ed at the game because of the cheap shots into the corners I quit the championship. Went into the tune shop and the refreshener was unchecked bought it, but haven't driven the car since i did it. I plan on starting the the Pro champ series tonight.

I know something changed. They give me 1 point for A-spec a race and I get my butt kicked.

The car handled way different wouldn't turn in to save it's life. First race i put the 787 down by almost 1min, 2nd race I had to pit because I left the medium tires on from qualifying and I still beat him by 30sec. Hong Kong I let my b-spec drive, that's what ruined the car. I qualifiyed up in 2nd just just shy of 1st by a couple of tenths. I figure B-spec it, wrong 4 laps in I had to pit because he was so far behind it was rediculus ended up a lap down but fought my way back into 5th. Car handling wasn't the same and a it wandered down the straights. I know it :grumpy:

Seaol what a fight that was to get 1st, New York! Dumb luck I won. they pitted on the last lap giving me a 10 second buffer that dwindled down to 2 because of the poor handling. El Capitan, luck too, glad i spent the day before doing an endurance race on it. Won by less then 10 seconds. After that 5th place and 4th place finishes. tried and tried decided to quit out before I got upset for doing all the work just to come in 2nd.

I honestly feel taking a car into the wall to many times has an effect on the car handling. Try it and see, I think you will find the same.

BTW B-spec stinks, my driver is stupid and ruined my car!!!!! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
 
eastley
Yes true but...

Gran Turismo 4 - The real Driving Simulator

Why don't the game Simulate realistic tyre wear?
Do you feel like having even the shortest races be half an hour long? Didn't think so. So they accelerate the tire wear so it comes into play even in ADD-length races.
 
Back