Car Resale Values

  • Thread starter Thread starter clouddancer79
  • 49 comments
  • 2,928 views
I either keep or sell cars right off the mark so I really don't care. Year of production seems to be a more determining factor in car prices than kilometres travelled from most used car ads I've seen. Doesn't matter how few kilometres a car's run, if it's still a year older than one with twice the k's it'll sell for less.
 
True thats super pathetic that you've purchased a car and modify it up and get a minsly amount of money.
 
clouddancer79
I was just playing GT3 and a thought came to me... you know what we really need? True car resale values. Kinda sucks to do $50,000-100,000 of upgrades to only be able to sell the car for a few thousand when you dont need it anymore. What do you think?

I agree. I think would like to see the resale value relative to what you have done to the car. At the same time I would like to see mileage lower the resale value. This always struck me as odd in GT3. You could drive the car a bazillion miles and it's resale value remains the same.
 
Agree with the topic subject but I don't agree with the post about all car transactions being done online unless you were only talking about trading tuned and prize cars.
 
I think it would be sweet to trade online.Then for example you can buy a "prize winning car" in online tournament and such. For example the fastest corvette on the 1/4 mile. Those would cost some more money, as in real life. But the settings should indeed be hidden and reset if you want to change them
 
Hmmm...didn't even consider the online mode for GT4. This may be a bit different than the subject of the post but imagine PD being able to add cars to GT4 over the course of the game. Say every few months they offer new cars for download, either free or through series races or flatout buying with credits, Or even buying with real world money. What a great way for PD keep the game fresh and continue a revenue stream.
 
It ticks me off when with all of your tuning of a car, and you sell it for the 25% of the base price of the car. I hated that in GT2, and pretty much do the same with GT3. GT4 will need to improve. Otherwise, what good is it to sell your tuned sweetheart for its base price? It's the same thing if someone sold a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse tuned with a trick muffler, cool stereo system, usually flamboyant rear wing, and in a nice candy color... but can only be sold for the base price of the original car. I mean, you'd be wanting to kick yourself, then scream like you was at the Teen Choice Awards... just, in anger.

I agree with you, my friend. If you have a 25K Cr car and tuned it for 175K Cr, you should be able to get at least 25% of the car, plus tuning. In this example, you'd get 50,000 Cr back from selling your car. But unless if PD thinks that selling your car for 25% of its base price without tuning is a way to avoid cheating of some kind, then I think now is the time to implement 25%, or hell... 50% of the price of your car plus tuning! The PC game "Sports Car GT" had you selling your car for 50% of all the tuning for your car and maybe the car itself as well, so why not GT4? Respectful and reasonable resale values need some real consideration, people.
 
No, Kaz is doin it right. You may want more money for your precious, but that ain't the way it goes, not even in real life. Aftermarket parts bring the resale DOWN. That's why you see those ricer boy cars in autotrader mags goin for like 4 grand and thats it. Even I want more money, but if it means being realistic, I'd rather have Kaz keep it the way he's been doin it. Just like neon duke sed, prices are WAY low.
 
TurboLevin2NV
No, Kaz is doin it right. You may want more money for your precious, but that ain't the way it goes, not even in real life. Aftermarket parts bring the resale DOWN.
Exactly, don't buy another fool's "project car". There's a reason it's being sold!

In any case, few of us sell a well-modded car. Let's keep this aspect of the game simple and as-is anyhow.
 
Don't like car resale values? Don't sell cars!

Should be thankful you're getting 25% instead of 10 or 12 thousand like yesteryear ;)
 
I reckon it'd be nice to have your car value go up a couple of dollars if you wash it jst before you sell it :)
 
To those who have the game, what is the depreciation like? In GT3 all it did was divide the cost of the car by 4 to come up with a selling value. Is it the same for GT4 or is the depreciation more realistic.

i.e. Do modifications increase the value of the car? Does the value decrease with mileage, or increase if its a classic?
:scared:
 
When I played NFSU:2 I was intrigued by the system they worked, it went something like this:

-Spend all the money you can on a car that you going to be -forced- sell.
-Trade in the car for a complete trade, even out, for anything, including a Skyline and 05' Mustang.
-Basically your trading in a hopped up Civic, No Offense Honda boys, for a spanking new V8, seems kinda cheap.
 
MrktMkr1986
To those who have the game, what is the depreciation like? In GT3 all it did was divide the cost of the car by 4 to come up with a selling value. Is it the same for GT4 or is the depreciation more realistic.

i.e. Do modifications increase the value of the car? Does the value decrease with mileage, or increase if its a classic?
:scared:

Anyone? :sick: :scared:
 
RacingFreak2k3
I think that idea is great! Say you don't have enough money for a certain car that you want that is brand new, you can go online and try to find that car, maybe not used a lot, for a cheaper price! I think it would be better though if whoever is selling there car online, will be able to set a price on it. If they set it too high, the car may not sell as quickly as some of the cheaper ones with similar upgrades. I don't think any of this will happen, but you never know.


It would kinda be like incorporating some of the stuff from Motor City Online ( my all time fav racing game ). Gotta love the endless play, and how you eventually had to buy a new car and parts cause they could only last for so long.
 
Man...it's been a long time since I saw someone talk about MCO. Most fun i've ever had in a racing game. I was Conemasher on Xroads as my main account. sorry to hijack :dopey:
 
GT4's depreciation is 25% I believe. Well, it's the same it has always been.

I'd say that modified cars should actually be worth less. Modifications in the real world mean less resale value. If I buy a car, I don't want some thing that's been beat to death by some sunday race car driver and wrenched on by a shade tree mechanic.

It sounds like some of you would like the way NFS: Porsche unleashed handled it. The value of the cars changed with modifications, age, and maintenance, plus the parts you buy can also be sold. You put them on the market for a price and somebody will come along and either offer you a lower price, or pay the price you asked for.
 
Nah Street Rod definately had the best system! You could even haggle :D
 
You can haggle in NFS:pu as well. In fact, both street rod and porsche unleashed are very similar in many instances.

If only GT had gone in the direction of street rod. What a game it would be!
 
pupik
Exactly, don't buy another fool's "project car". There's a reason it's being sold!

In any case, few of us sell a well-modded car. Let's keep this aspect of the game simple and as-is anyhow.

Agreed. Anyone willing to pay more than book value for a 'modified' car in real life is a fool. Modifying the car you drive IS NOT an investment, it's the opposite. Certain cars do however come into high demand and sell for more than book.

Example: Turbo Buick/Grand National.
A low mileage stock car will sell for MUCH higher than a modified one.

:) 👍
 
Back