Car runs good now, explanation and crappy video inside. Woot!

Perfect Balance

Lead
Premium
Messages
8,481
Messages
P_Balance
Yesterday I went to a store, when I came out, my car started an died 3 times. I opened the hood, everything looked fine. Got back in, it started, and I drove home.


Now the car doesn't start at all, and I'm getting kind of frustrated right now.

Heres what I've checked so far.
Fuel filter = good
Fuel pump = good
Spark plugs = I bought new ones just now, so they're good.
Battery = good
vacuum lines = good
distributor = gives a nice shiny spark to the plugs, it's also good.


I'm sure there's more that I can't remember, but if anybody has any ideas, please tell.

EDIT: Fuel injectors also work. So it's getting fuel and its getting a spark.

I took out the plugs and I'll let it dry overnight so all the excess fuel evaporates.
 
Check the plugs again.
 
Is it turning over at all? If not, is it clanking or clicking?

Could be your starter or solenoid.
 
Is it turning over at all? If not, is it clanking or clicking?

Could be your starter or solenoid.
It's turning over, even catches a cylinder or so every few tries, but never actually starts.
 
We had this problem with our lawn mower. Does the engine seem like it's having to work to start, or does it just not?
 
We had this problem with our lawn mower. Does the engine seem like it's having to work to start, or does it just not?
I'm not sure what you mean, but this is very very different from a lawnmower. It's not the same.
 
What car are you driving? If it's something very modern, it could be the ECU systems. Or well even in older ones. Carburator or fuel injection?
 
Does it slow down after about 5 sec. or does it just keep going?
 
I'd be looking for either the factory service manual, or Honda enthusiast forums.

I doubt your going to find a ton of help here, considering most of the people replying don't even know what you drive, and are pulling suggestions from who knows where.
 
What car are you driving? If it's something very modern, it could be the ECU systems. Or well even in older ones. Carburator or fuel injection?
99 Honda Civic dx.

Fuel injected.

Does it slow down after about 5 sec. or does it just keep going?
It keeps going, although the last few tries the battery finally died and we had to jump it.

I'd be looking for either the factory service manual, or Honda enthusiast forums.

I doubt your going to find a ton of help here, considering most of the people replying don't even know what you drive, and are pulling suggestions from who knows where.
See comment below.

Alternator?

No, nt rly.


Anyways, the fuel injectors are spraying fuel, the plugs are getting a spark.


But its not starting. I'm out of ideas.
 
cars need fuel in fuel tank...:lol:...i would check the fuel lines for air...my mates pulsar is fuel injecter and it tended to vapour lock...maybe thats the problem
 
... Anyways, the fuel injectors are spraying fuel, the plugs are getting a spark.


But its not starting. I'm out of ideas.
If you're adament on this (new plugs don't always mean 100% - they could be duds right out of the box) then I'd suggest a timing issue.

When you drove home, how was the car feeling? Normal or sluggish? And how was the idle?

I think your ECU may be retarding your timing to hell.
 
crack in the distributor cap ? if so, use a lead pencil, and draw a circle around the diameter of the cap and go around the crack ( this happened on my dodge shadow )
faulty fuse going for the fuel pump
 
I asked around and someone mentioned the crank position sensor. This tells the ecu fuel injection timing, and ignition timing. They might still work I guess, but not at the right times.

I may have to replace the distributor, but we'll see tomorrow.
 
Does it only happen when its wet and or cold?

Thats what happens on my Jetta all the time, but it usually starts up by crank number three or four. Usually its something that has to do with the electrical system, generally bad distributor caps, bad plug wires or plug boots, or just general odd amounts of moisture that clog up the electrical system.

It can't be all that bad on a Honda. If my VW can survive it, anything can...
 
Does it only happen when its wet and or cold?

Thats what happens on my Jetta all the time, but it usually starts up by crank number three or four. Usually its something that has to do with the electrical system, generally bad distributor caps, bad plug wires or plug boots, or just general odd amounts of moisture that clog up the electrical system.

It can't be all that bad on a Honda. If my VW can survive it, anything can...
I've never had this problem before, so I can't say it happens when it's either, although it was the day after a nice ice storm we had here.

I'm guessing something electrical too, but I suck at electronics.
 
FINALLY IT COMES ALIVE!!!!


Stupid solution, it was water in the fuel tank, we found out by pure accident. From cranking the thing over and over again, it gathered up a bit of a puddle in the intake manifold. My dad mopped it up with some paper towels, and we didn't want to toss it in the trash, so we whipped out a lighter.


It barely burned.

And there you have it. I pulled off the fuel filter, blew it out with compressed air, and let the fuel pump run for a few seconds to get all the old fuel out of the lines. Put it back together, cranked it about 3 times, and it sputtered to life, died, then I cranked again and it fired up, check engine light on, and fuel coming out of the exhaust.

That made a nice flamethrower for a few seconds.

Anyways, I let it get warm, shut it off, started again and the CEL went off, and the thing starts like it's never started before. I wasted more money that I needed to, although now I've got a brand spanking new set of plugs.
 
Interesting.. Glad to hear its all sorted but how could you get water in your fuel tank anyway? Sabotage by one of the Nissan owners next door me thinks....
 
Interesting.. Glad to hear its all sorted but how could you get water in your fuel tank anyway? Sabotage by one of the Nissan owners next door me thinks....
We had a bit of an ice storm that night, and it was more "focused" on the side of my car that has the gas door, which makes me think it could have leaked down the inside of the thing and got around the lid or something.
 
Now go get a bottle of Iso-Heet or something similar with isopropyl alcohol to wick the rest of the water in your tank out.
 
Yeah, always keep a bottle of DryGas on hand too... It comes in handy more than you think!
 
Now go get a bottle of Iso-Heet or something similar with isopropyl alcohol to wick the rest of the water in your tank out.

Yeah, always keep a bottle of DryGas on hand too... It comes in handy more than you think!
I bought a bottle of that "heet" stuff and put it in there.

Now, the car starts a bit hard and I get a CEL when I turn on the car when it's cold. I thought it was the 02 sensor the first time since I had fuel coming out my exhaust for a few minutes, but that's gone now.

It's annoying, I'll go get autozone to check the codes for me, but if anyone has any "duh" solutions, I'm all ears. (well, eyes too)

I'm just wondering if I missed anything simple.
 
I should be in school right now, but my car doesn't start again.

I'm trying to find another solution this time, since I really doubt I still have water in my lines and stuff. I had pumped it out yesterday, and put that heet stuff in, and ran the car about 25 min after that too, all of which the car ran perfectly.

I was going to go get the CEL checked out by autozone or advance auto parts, but I wonder if I'll get there today now.
 
methinks some electronics might have got fried during your water rejection
 
methinks some electronics might have got fried during your water rejection
That's what I'm thinking too, although I really hope not. I don't have the money to start replacing stuff, at least not right now.
 
Its a Honda doing VW things... You've gotta laugh a little bit!

I can't stand it when cars start acting up like this, it drives me crazy. I doubt it being all that bad, but of course, its an inconvenience, so its a bit stressful.
 
Check your MAF/MAP sensor (whichever the car has). If it's not reading intake airflow, it won't run right if at all.
 
As soon as I read the problem I was going to say water or ice in the fuel tank from the weather but it looks like you already figured that out. Since its been very cold lately.
 
Back