Car runs good now, explanation and crappy video inside. Woot!

Silly ECUs...I'm glad my car doesn't have one!
 
They're not really a big deal, I only messed with it once just because I switched air filters and wanted to do it as a preventative measure, but what bugs me most about my car is the lack of OBD-II. My car was built in 1994 when they just started using OBD-I, they didn't start using OBD-II until 1996. So I can't use a traditional code scanner, I have to use the paperclip trick to read service engine light blips. Luckily my car's never given me any problems, so I haven't had to use it yet.
 
They're not really a big deal, I only messed with it once just because I switched air filters and wanted to do it as a preventative measure, but what bugs me most about my car is the lack of OBD-II. My car was built in 1994 when they just started using OBD-I, they didn't start using OBD-II until 1996. So I can't use a traditional code scanner, I have to use the paperclip trick to read service engine light blips. Luckily my car's never given me any problems, so I haven't had to use it yet.
Most people do conversions from OBD-II to OBD-I, since you don't the CEL for changing the intake or exhaust.
 
They're not really a big deal, I only messed with it once just because I switched air filters and wanted to do it as a preventative measure, but what bugs me most about my car is the lack of OBD-II. My car was built in 1994 when they just started using OBD-I, they didn't start using OBD-II until 1996. So I can't use a traditional code scanner, I have to use the paperclip trick to read service engine light blips. Luckily my car's never given me any problems, so I haven't had to use it yet.

thanks for that. I was wondering when they started putting the "brainy" engine controll comp in vehicles. I actually use two large bore sewing needles for the GM's I had. or the keyswitch trick for Chrysler Products.

glad to know you switched the comp over. to bad you can't reflash an OBD One. wish Ida known that before poking a K&N in my 4Runner :P
 
I was absolutely amazed that it fired or did anything after I saw those pics of all that corrosion on all those electronic components.
 
I just saw the post notice, back on page 4.

WHY did you buy a flood recovery?! those are considered totaled.
 
I just saw the post notice, back on page 4.

WHY did you buy a flood recovery?! those are considered totaled.
Well, the body has no more rust than any normal car, and there (wasn't) anything whatsoever wrong with the electronics when I bought it. All the fluids were changed on it after the flooding (which was in fresh water btw), and I got a really good deal.

I still don't regret getting it.
 
Back