Car(s) of the game

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 30 comments
Australia
Australia
In past Gran Turismo games, there were always a car and/or cars that stood out. Suzuki Escudo, EK Civic Type R(glitch), Toyota GT-One, GC WRX STI, R32 Skyline.

As GT Sport makes way for Gran Turismo 7, what car(s) in this game, are the ones that defined GT Sport?

Has to be the A90 right? That two car back to back year model and the synergies with PD and Toyota.

I'm not saying I like the car, just that it currently has the internet zeitgeist.

Me personally, the Tomahawk X. The fastest thing in the game by light years, been in the game since launch, got DRS in an update, has helped me auto drive many a DWG when I couldn't play, and helped me smash so many cars through track boundaries for slight out of bounds exploring. I'd be totally lost without this car.

I think the 911 RSR and R8 LMS stood out to me as well for consistently being go-to cars for Gr. 3 Sport Mode, and with Gr. 3 being the focus of this game, those two cars have always been quite in your face. Nothing in other classes have been as consistently good as those two cars.

No X-Bow? :lol: S-FR Racing Concept? :sly:

When I first got the game(March, 2018), I think the Tomahawk was the car. GR.4 Huracan seemed like the be all and end all in its class too.

AMG GT3 seemed very popular.
The 911 RSR is up there. Yeah, R8 is everywhere.

Maybe the R15? R18? Whichever Audi.

This is a tough one.

The Ferrari 330 P4 '67 is far and away the car of the game for me , close to 22,000 kms driven on the pair i own.
Runner up would be the Porsche 911 RSR.

The Ferrari 330 P4 '67 is far and away the car of the game for me , close to 22,000 kms driven on the pair i own.
Runner up would be the Porsche 911 RSR.

LOok at this guy flexing with his 2 x 330s...

I have one and I just was able to afford a Level 2 power upgrade to 520hp. As much as I like the 330 its out of reach to most and it was also a good car in GT5/6.

I also do like the 991 GT3RS which is a day one car that is used a fair bit.

Cars that stand out in GTS:

1. Beetle GR.3

- Who would have thought that a mundane, lifestyle car would have a racing counterpart? It's a polarizing force, but still a welcome addition.

2. Bugatti Vision GT

- In both guises, they are capable and delivered the performance expected from Bugatti.

3. GR Supra Racing Concept

- one of the fruits of PD and Toyota's partnership. One of the top choices in its class. Fast and easy to drive, that makes it a fan favorite.

4. Toyota Supra RZ '97

- a very welcome addition, and proof that PD truly listens to its fanbase. An A80 Supra blessed with superior graphics from PD is one surefire way to please everyone.

5. Porsche 911 GT3 RS

- Something that we truly waited for. The debut car of the brand that embodies the achievements of a manufacturer long associated with racing prowess - Porsche. We all waited for almost two decades. And indeed it was all worth the wait, being one of the best cars of N Class only matched by the hypercars such as the Ferrari LaFerrari and Pagani Huayra.

My personal picks:

-The Hyundai and Bugatti VGTs, being notable for being revealed during GT6's lifespan, but ultimately debuting in GTS.

-The Supra A90 and its preceding racing concept, being an evolution of the FT-1 Concept, the FT-1 VGT, and the FT-1 VGT Gr.3. I'd honestly love for all of them to return, perhaps including other concepts that made it to production and have appeared in GT as premium models, like the FT-86 - though I could do without the FT-86 II. I'd also love to see an interior for any cars that don't have one, like the S-FR Racing Concept. Surely, PD could ask Toyota to draw one up, right?

-The RX-Vision GT3 concept and the Porsche Taycan, being notable for being more or less symbolic of their respective partnerships/collaborations with PD.

-The Red Bull X2019 Competition, for its prominent role in the Nations Cup events, especially the World Tour events.

-Red Bull X2019 Competition: Pinnacle of road racing superiority. This car's given us some of the best Nations Cup racing ever and I'm thinking of setting up a league for it in the future. It's great for one-makes and it's a car that truly defines PD as a company; boundary-pushing, strikingly unique and perfectly crafted.

-Toyota Supra A90 '19 / '20 / Gr.3 / Gr.4: Symbol of partnership between PD and Toyota. Jointly developed thanks to us, the players, and the GR Supra Cup. It's cool to think that we all had a hand in it, huh?

-Fittipaldi EF7 VGT: For the same reasons as the X2019, the EF7 provides awesome close racing in a one-make scenario, and it's very fun to drive. Also cool to know that it exists in real life and has been bought by people. Super rich people, but people nonetheless. It's not a concept car or a VGT stuck in the game only.

-Mercedes AMG VGT LH Edition: Not only the first VGT being given a makeover, but also a car that symbolizes the friendship that exists between Lewis Hamilton and PD, and to a big extent, Yamauchi himself. Say what you want about Lewis; he's a nice guy. But he's just super competitive, and that's fine; it's his job to be competitive.

Those are my picks. :cheers:

Would be interesting to see some type of battle for top speed. All time fastest car of Gran Turismo.

Escudo, the red Bull cars, Tomahawk, the glitch EK9 and maybe a Veyron.

Would be interesting to see some type of battle for top speed. All time fastest car of Gran Turismo.

Escudo, the red Bull cars, Tomahawk, the glitch EK9 and maybe a Veyron.

The Escudo tho... Redbull got nothing on that.

I started playing this game in December (got it for Christmas :)), so these are the cars that really stood out for me from the perspective of a beginner. I put them in order of when I discovered them in the game. You'll notice that the theme is that they all stuck to corners much better than I expected and allowed me to really have some fun!

1) Megane Trophy - I think it was the Alsace Village mission that was something like 15-20 laps where I fell in love with this car. It handled beautifully and the gears shifts were perfect for an Auto Trans driver like me. I kept looking for more GT League events where I could use this car after that. I picked Renault for my first venture into the FIA races because of this car (although I soon realized that I couldn't really handle the RS 01 Gr3 car!)

2) Beetle - Someone mentioned above this car was so much better than it looked on the surface. I ran this in several GT League events too once I realized how fast and stable it was. This care was the reason I picked VW for my second stint into FIA races.

3) Toyota S-FR Racing Concept - I won this as a daily workout gift a few weeks into playing the game. I tried it once, and WOW, I don't think this fair! I'm so much faster than all of the AI cars on the track. I started looking for higher rated offline races where I could get the car handicap bonus. For it's class, this felt to me like the Megane Trophy on steroids.

4) Red Bull X-Jr - It was an early FIA race when I used this one for the first time (don't recall which track). It took a little while to get used to it, but what I remember was I kept asking myself "Can I take this next corner without slowing down next time?" and the answer was "Yes, yes I can!"

So I can't say if these really define GT Sport, as I don't know the prior games as a reference point, but these are the cars that got me hooked.

I started playing the game in January and I don't think I'd still be playing if I had to roll with the Gr3 Mustang. Thank the lord for giving me 2nd option in the GT LM :bowdown:

I started playing the game in January and I don't think I'd still be playing if I had to roll with the Gr3 Mustang. Thank the lord for giving me 2nd option in the GT LM :bowdown:

The only time I really used the Mustang was the last time that we had Gr3 daily races at Monza (at @RacingGrandpa's recommendation 👍). It was the best car for me at that track that week, but then I kind of forgot about it. I even made a cool livery to share with my friend from West Virginia. I'll have to give it another try this week!

WVU Mustange.jpg

To me the "iconic" cars of GTS would have to be:

Bugatti VGT: The biggest, baddest VGT project of the new game. A huge vehicle in both power and size that ended up influencing the Chiron.

Red Bull X2019 Competition: Used in the Nations Cup finals, this feels like the Tomahawk of the game - how much downforce can we throw on a racecar?

Toyota TS050. Toyota's latest LMP entry makes them the last major manufacturer left in the WEC, and often times the grid in Gr.1 races look like it's the only car left too.

Porsche 911 RSR (991). This game, importantly, marks Porsche's entry into the Gran Turismo series. The 911 is a fantastic car that offers great stability and handling. It's also representative of new direction from Porsche, being a radical new MR car.

Nissan GT-R GT3 Schulze Motorsport. I mean, Kaz literally drove this car. And a lot of us have driven it too, being one of the best straight-line Gr.3 cars and a testament to PD's love of the GT-R.

Peugeot RCZ (Gr.4). The RCZ is probably the most emblematic car of Sport Mode. It's a car that has frustrated both its users with its understeer and its opponents with its biblical straight-line speed. It's also a big bulky boy that's prone to contact, resulting in the justice of PD's almighty penalty system being doled out. Honorable mention to the other three FF cars and the Megane Trophy.

For me the cars that stand out the most in GT Sport are as follows:

Audi E-Tron
A90 Toyota Supra
Super Formula SF19 (Honda & Toyota)

Overall favourite though is defo the A90 Supra.

No car stands out and that's perfectly fine with me.

I think from a physics standpoint, the Red Bull cars. Debuted in GT6, but turned into proper competitive race cars by reining in their abilities. Felt the Junior car became a bit less direct, and the others where not just over the top rocket ships.

Though, the Hamilton Mercedes F1 car feels more what I think a F1 car feels like than anything produced by Codemasters. But other games have F1 cars, so I disqualify that. Just like the many of the Gr.3 cars.

GT Sport did something smart. With the push towards modern GT race cars, we saw mega powered cars from the 90s and early naughts disappear. The game highlighted those medium powered cars. While I love and tend to be a better driver of those high power/high downforce cars, the racing generally suffers. With the Gr. 3 and 4 cars, the racing improved and I tend to believe the driving skill improved.

Ultimately, I think the most standout car to me is the Miata Roadster Touring Car. Was solid in GT6, but in a game filled with many more high powered cars it got lost. In a single make or in a similar rated field, it is the most fun, if not consistently, the most competitive car.

I don't feel there is a car that can be considered the icon of GT Sport.

However, the Toyota TS050-Hybrid 2016 is my personal icon. It has become my most driven car in all Gran Turismo games with 25,000km+.

I posted in another thread, about the three most significant cars in this game(due to members from this website): E30 M3, A80 Supra, 996 GT3.

Many players that tried the E30, came away unimpressed.
A80 Supra, seems to be rarely talked about.
The 996, ironically, during the week of Kazunori Yamauchi's birthday, doesn't feature in this week's Daily Race A as another 911 choice.
Not that these three are cars of the game, but...

There were many cars none of us saw coming: GR.4 Supra, ZL1 Camaro, S660, F50, 962C, to name a handful. Funny how the AMG GT S is on the cover, but it isn't a car players must experience. The Red Bull is the "cover" car for 2.0 and it probably should be experienced by all players.

This is a tough one.

Mercedes-AMG GT3. I would have to choose a Gr3 car with it being the main online class, the Mercedes is new to Gran Turismo and has always been there or thereabouts with BoP righ5 back to the beta, it's even the first car you see on the app.

Honourable mention goes to the Porsche 911 GT3 RS '16, I think it's the only road car with a single make championship in campaign mode and is one the first Porsches in GT.

I'm not sure if I can really say there is an iconic car for this game. Overall the car list still feels to small and none of the popular choice cars have really made a superb impression on me.

That AMG I've never even tried it. The redbull? Haven't tried it. For me I'd choose the 996 GT3, or the 356A. They're not popular but they're the ones that made an impression on me.

Last edited:
I think one of the main influences is that there was no 'cover car'.

Of course most of us remember the 2004 GT Ford, the AMG SLS, the Corvette C7...

In an alternate universe this should be the cover car:

maxresdefault.jpg

But I also think its a bit ugly being an as yet unrefined concept.

But yeah with two road A90s, and the GT3 and the nicer looking GT4 variant, it has to be the star of this generation.

i13QlUlhRbmUG-800x450.jpg

Too bad it looks like the GT4 will always be a unicorn.

Answers cover the whole range... From a Mazda Miata to the fictional VGTs and Red Bull X2019. Everyone has his own criteria.
I think that there isn't THE iconic car. If I had to make some honorable mentions, I would pick some of the best street legal, street illegal and race cars.

Here is my Top-10.

McLaren F1 (obviously!), Ferrari Enzo
Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1 GTR , Audi R8 LMS
Jaguar XJR-9, Mazda 787B, Sauber Mercedes C9
Honda RAYBRIG NSX
Mercedes-AMG F1 W08

Answers cover the whole range... From a Mazda Miata to the fictional VGTs and Red Bull X2019. Everyone has his own criteria.
I think that there isn't THE iconic car. If I had to make some honorable mentions, I would pick some of the best street legal, street illegal and race cars.

Here is my Top-10.

McLaren F1 (obviously!), Ferrari Enzo
Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1 GTR , Audi R8 LMS
Jaguar XJR-9, Mazda 787B, Sauber Mercedes C9
Honda RAYBRIG NSX
Mercedes-AMG F1 W08
That's what I did in these threads.
Well, as GTS winds down in preparation for the next game, I narrowed the car list down to some cars that make me glad I purchased the game. There are a few new to the series, I left out(Ford GT '17, Ruf, SF19 and some classics).

EZGCw_hUcAAtc60

EZGEFJXU0AEaXJ8

EZGE7rkU4AEPEs6

EZGFRG9U0AAtVrE

EZGF56DUEAAsabn

Each of these were big surprises to me(even the GT-R '17 - we already had the '14 in GT6). I always say, "PD do surpises well.". I definitely didn't see the Red Pig coming to the game. So, though the car list did jump around a bit since the game's debut. for PD to include some of these icons & gems, they get the handclap gif from me.
004gP8Z.gif

Out of these three, the M3(why the heck it took 21 years to finally be in the game?). Brought back memories from when my brother had his E30 M3. It's racing pedigree, is enough to tell the story of this icon.

These cars, mainly by discussion, are probably the most significant in this website.

Yes, the M3 and Supra are at the top of the Suggestions. I guess nearly 2000 votes between the two, are minor compared to the actual members on this site. It's that the 996 was, of course, not usable to majority GT players. Also that Kaz has/had one and this one in game, uses(I believe) his car's default color. That's a big treat to finally have it in a GT.

The Supra is that legend. Not even about FF movies. It's been in every GT from GT1. Over 1000hp tuning, the JGTC and Super GT500 models, the racing modifications. Why it took so long to become Super Premium? Doesn't matter. It's been done and we can enjoy the details.

I have a few others that made me happy(300SEL, GR.4 Supra, GR.4 Mustang, believe it or not- GR.4 Atenza). But. I believe these three sum up this era of GT(though Kaz says GTSport begins the next era) before we move to PS5.

I definitely feel your view. Thing is, GT Sport(in Sport Mode/FIA races), has narrowed down choices to "popular"(pretty much META) cars. Does it mean a popular car defines GT Sport? Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't.

I agree with those that have said the Tomahawk, TS050, Red Bull X2019, Megane Trophy, GR.3 Supra, MX-5 TC, AMG GT3, are cars that stood out. Popular from liveries to photos to racing.

The Nissan R92CP recently stood out as the META Group C at Le Sarthe. GR.4 Vantage & F-Type were beasts before they got nerfed. GR.4 Bugatti, Hurucan, Audi TT continues to be one of the most used GR.4 cars, no matter what changes are made to BOP.

Trust, I get it about honorable mentions. I've even posted (in another thread) the Group C cars are cars of the game for me. The P330 could be someone's choice. It's a one trick pony, but does that car define this game? However, as I have examples in the OP, people that played the past games and those that have seen videos, most likely know of those. Again, it's tough.

Back