Car scan at L.M. Gianetti

• Thread starter KKHN
  • 60 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those wondering, here is an excerpt from a Jalopnik article about PD scanning the Art Morrison Vette:

The key to the binary reproduction of the Corvette came in a box with a crew of two. In a darkened room a thin red beam of light shot from the box across the up on the rack Corvette, and relayed data through a three-quarter inch data cable snaking from the back of the black box on a tripod. Art and son Craig Morrison were both amazed.

"The first scan they did was the underside of the car. They did a pan of the chassis. As they were scanning it, in real time, there was a 3-D wireframe model being built of the car on the screen. You could actually see the relationship between the body mounts and the floor. You could see the exhaust and the clearance that the exhaust had. You could see the tread pattern on the tires, the horns, and all the fasteners holding those in place, the whole chassis, the headers, the oil pan - everything", said Craig.

After the bottom half of the car was scanned in the rack was dropped and the interior transferred into binary for a complete 3-D model.

"It was bizzare. A red line swept across the interior. It was sort of a spacey type of a deal. The room was somewhat dimly lit, and you would see this red line sweep across - bzzzzzzzzt. As soon as it finished it was producing a 3d wireframe model to scale on the screen", said Art.

When the scan was complete a full 3d model of the car was soon rotating around on the computer screen. With a click or two of the mouse the entire car began unfolding in three dimensions on a screen in front of Art and Craig's eyes. To fill in the wireframe back at GTHD central a four-person crew took video and still imagery of the car.

"They took video of me going through the gears, and the starting sequence of the car. Turning the wheel. Setting the e-brake. Pulling the hood release. Hi-beam Lo-beam. Everything." said Craig.

While the binary crew is likely to come along for some more work when the Vette goes out for track testing in April of 2007, the method in which actual car handling translates into accurate gameplay remains mysterious. Art Morrison asked the digital crew a question from an analog chassis builder perspective. "Obviously an F1 car handles better than a Toyota Corolla, but how do you make it handle better on the screen"?

The answer will remain a secret, but as the Gran Tursimo faithful know the cars on the screen really do handle like their genuine counterparts. To insure the car handles as it should the Project Manager on hand promised an advance digital copy of the Corvette to Art and Craig for an in-game handling test. Astounding is that it will likely take more hours to reproduce the digital version of the Corvette for Gran Turismo than did building the analog nuts and bolts version.

"They have a crew of 40 people that are going to spend the next six months building our car for the game. That's the amount of detail", said Craig.

Full article here: http://jalopnik.com/238136/from-bucket-to-binary-morrison-corvette-scanned-into-gran-turismo

I'm personally quite excited to see these cars in all their Premium glory :drool:
PD never fails in the modeling department, but PLEASE get the sounds right!

EDIT: The front logo in the P45 sure looks familiar, no?

9_nurburgring_24_hours_may_2012.jpg

It participated in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring in which all cars had a Gran Turismo banner across the front windshield. Yes, all of them, even Porsches. This has been the case for 3 years, maybe 4.

Officially the P4/5 is not a Ferrari.

The Ferrari did not give the license for the car (unlike the Enzo-based road version), probably the P4/5 will stay under the brand "Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus".

Where did you come up with this? I'm sure if it wasn't a Ferrari they wouldn't be granted the use of the name.

-> The only hope I'm after is the P4/5 Road Car (especially with its modified triangular tailpipes). I don't care much about the Race Car... :indiff:

modified-p4-5-exhausts.jpg

^ I'll be disappointed of PD didn't include this.

So, I wonder, does laser scanning make the difference when it comes to some cars being lower than others with suspension modifications? Its clearly noticeable some cars just aren't as low as they can go.

So, I wonder, does laser scanning make the difference when it comes to some cars being lower than others with suspension modifications? Its clearly noticeable some cars just aren't as low as they can go.

No.

Where did you come up with this? I'm sure if it wasn't a Ferrari they wouldn't be granted the use of the name.
I have read it in various articles of automotive magazines (EVO UK, EVO IT, Quattroruote ecc).
The Ferrari did not want it because the car was not part of Scuderia Ferrari (therefore it is not connected to the official Ferrari activity in motorsport).

In the net I find this article: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-un-ferrari-shaking-down-the-p4-5-competizione-feature

From this picture you can see the Glickenhaus logo (for replace the prancing horse):
logor.png

Scan LaFerrari next?

They could probably work directly from simplified CAD data, the kind Ferrari and many other manufacturers already use in their configurator and other media.
PD will still take pictures of the real thing.

Well of course it's true PD were there scanning cars, the photos speak for themselves. Obviously someone at PD/Sony told them to take them down.

Hard to give much credence to a photo title written by somebody who didn't even know they weren't supposed to upload the photos at all.

Wheres the news article gone for this?
Its not at the front anymore just a gt academy thingy

Oh you guys have already realised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back