CAR SET UP QUESTION

• Thread starter alexxoux
  • 19 comments
Greece
Greece
alexxoux
Good Morning to all

is there a guide somewhere in the forum of how to set up a car. when you set up a car what you are looking. i have no idea of how to do it, any time i wanted a set up i was just searcing.
tried yesterday the audi and i have made 2.10 with no set up and i want to see what time i can make if i set up the car.

Thanks in advance

Have to agree with your query there Alex, there are plenty of threads on here GIVING a specific setup for a car but I haven't seen one telling you HOW to set up a car.
I was talking to a friend online about this last night, as I usually buy the adjustable suspension and leave it at stock settings except a rear toe adjustment of 0.14 toe in and an adjustment on the diff usually around 10, 25, 15. This won me a few races in the organised online championships I took part in on GT5, but now that GT6 has the improved suspension and tyre models it looks like tuning may get more out of the car.

I for one would love to know where to start, eg. drive it stock for 5 laps then adjust x setting downwards before trying to add anything to y setting then finally adjust z setting to settle the car mid corner.

I must admit time is not on my side as I don't get on much before official races to try all the settings and their 'cause and effect' and don't want to be diving in adjusting 5 things at once thinking that logically it will make the car stick through every corner only to go off backwards at the first kink!!

Anyone wishing to give a heads up?
Thanks in advance,
Jim.

There isn't really "one way" for doing this, different people use different methods, both in their approach for tuning and what they actually do with the variables available.

Some people might tune generally, to try and make a car "ok" for a many different situations as possible, others might fine tune a car or a single purpose, or situation i.e. a certain track and certain regulations (PP or power/weight).

Some people might make small adjustments to a stock (custom suspension and LSD), other might change everything, some ill do this straight away - even before they drive the car, others might drive the car for a few laps, or even give it a thorough work out in different situations.

It's very easy to end up going round and round in circles with a setup or single car - there's cars doing this to me right now, I change it, then change it back, then try something new, then change it back, try something new etc etc etc and it still wont do what I want. Then again, there's cars I apply a formula to and are done in 60 seconds - they have turn in, grip, balance, even tyre wear and tyre heat and respectable lap times.

To try and avoid the situation of going round in circles (this might not work for all, as said above - everyone has their own "way"), start with the golden rule - KEEP IT SIMPLE:

Stick to 1 drivetrain, maybe FR
Split the tuning into 2 areas - suspension LSD
Take 3 copies of the same car, one stock, 1 with custom lsd and another with custom suspension

The reason for this is that when you adjust either the LSD or the suspension, other variables won't be affecting your changes, so what you do, and how this either works or doesn't is directly related to your changes.

Use a car/tyre combination that is fairly neutral and not to planted / grippy, again, - so you can feel the difference in traction with different changes.

General hints / tips:

Have realistic goals / achievements - dont pressure yourself into "learning setups in a week", I'm still learning after years of tuning. As the game (and it's physics) change, you'll need to adapt too, dont try and run before you can walk.

Be honest with yourself - can you run consistent laps, time after time - if not, can a friend(s) help you with this.

Would changes to driving style be as helpful as learning tuning / setups i.e. if not doing so already, changing / learning to trail brake and feather the throttle / gas might be a big help?

Use different tracks to test your findings.

Use information in the game i.e. tyre indicator - this tells you your tyre heat and tyre wear, having even heat and wear is a realistic goal to tune to (especially with FR cars, which is why they're a good starting point). Likewise, having uneven tyre heat and wear can potentially tell you where a problem might be. So when you are doing your testing, always have tyre wear on.

Deal with what's infront of you i.e. in the game, dont learn real life tuning, GT isn't the same, in some cases, it can be the opposite.

Don't use drivings aids, ballast or too grippy tyres - these can all "hide" or overpower setup changes.

I am still a noob. I do dabble with tuning to my needs/taste. The biggest factor in any success is learning to drive in game. Without consistent driving the settings adjustments you make will be masked by poor driving. Once the driving skill improves some types of issues/adjustments are much more evident.
  • I start with brakes
  • Then get the FC diff & torque split and begin making those adjustments.
I am as yet not consistent enough to reliably mess much with suspension other than big swings.
  • I've started with ARB and in some cases dramatically improved the car I was working on.
I am still far from considering myself a tuner.

Search Scaff's tuning guides. The one's I've seen were made for GT4, but the general rules still apply, on some cars. Maybe 60% of the cars in the game react backwards to some of the changes. As in most or all of the MR and RR cars. Even many of the FR cars don't react correctly.

For example ride height. Every car, regardless or engine or drive location, should reduce it's oversteer when the rear of the car is lowered and/or the front of the car is raised. In GT6...some do and some don't.

Usually if a ride height change is backwards, spring changes are also backwards. Then randomly, camber changes may be backwards.

So it really comes down to make a change, and see if it works. Make one change at a time, or you will not know which change worked.

Also, make big changes to start off, to get a feel for what the car wants. Once you get the general area, you can narrow it down with small changes. If you start out with small changes, you can be there all day.

I just gave a somewhat detailed explanation of what changes to make here...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/help-with-my-vauxhall-opel-vectra-3-2.296265/#post-9168369

Last edited:
For me, "tuning" is like baking a cake;

You have the ingredients and you need the right amount of each, put together in the right way to make your cake mix, this is then cooked to give you the base "cake". In GT6 tuning this would be springs, roll bars and dampers.

Once the cake is "done", you then add the finishing touches / topping - filling, cream etc etc etc; in GT6 terms this would be LSD then toe.

I try to leave as many variables as untouched as possible, concentrate on getting the "cake" right, if this is wrong, then no matter what you do with the "toppings", it will still fail as a cake.

Variables like aero and brakes, for the most part, shouldn't be required to make something work in most (but not all) situations - the exception to this would be the cars where front tyre wear can be a real issue (front wheel drive and front engined four wheel drive). Having the rear brakes higher is twofold, not only does it help to turn the car in, on GT5 it also helped to save the front tyres too - vital if the racing you're doing has tyre wear as a factor you need to consider either in the race or for your setup.

Setups on this game are pretty screwed, you can run some cars in 3 different ways:

soft front, hard rear
hard front, soft rear
even

One of the biggest problems is knowing what to do and when, but this get very complicated as this can sometimes incorporate variables like driving style i.e. "planted" or "loose". Other factors like how much grip the tyres (being used) are giving - same car / power / pp but with different tyres can sometimes mean different setup.

Add to this other variables like tracks, steering sensitivity, abs on / off and it's easy to get a bit lost, or go round in circles, which is why sometimes it's good to start with just one drivetrain / type of car.

Lastly, what people see / feel as "works" is also subjective as some people race with tyre wear off, other with it on high, so will do short races, others all kinds including endurance races of 1-2hrs.

This is why I try to find a core balance, as once that has been achieved (by using a few variables such as brakes, aero etc as possible), it helps to give your base more flexibility to adapt to the huge amount of different needs and wants people have..

Good Morning to all

is there a guide somewhere in the forum of how to set up a car. when you set up a car what you are looking. i have no idea of how to do it, any time i wanted a set up i was just searcing.
tried yesterday the audi and i have made 2.10 with no set up and i want to see what time i can make if i set up the car.

Thanks in advance

I use a guide called " Making Progress " written by Scaff
Its a two part pdf covering suspension and brakes in first part and downforce, diff and gear ratio in the second.. I've found it an invaluable guide to the theory of tuning and helped a lot with gt5.
It is a guide written for gt4, but its more about the theory rather than "set this to this number" so it is relevant for future games.
Don't know where I found it but you've got the name and writer and the guide has gt planet written on it, so a search should find it easily. I recommend it highly and its a good read.. Happy tuning...

I agree with everything Highlandor said. Especially the part about different people have different ideas about what "works". That makes it real hard to tune for other people. Every change makes the car different, so with each change a tuner has to guess if the person the tune is intended for will like that particular aspect of the car.

So if you want it done right, do it yourself. Not everyone has the time or enjoys the process of tuning, so they look for tunes. But, if you want it the way you like it...

I'm missing the Tire Load Indicator from GT5, at least it told me when I was bottoming out and how tire contact was doing.

No it's not in my menu, I just double checked.
I'm not sure what your on about then, because the "tyre load indicator" to me is the 4 tyres in the bottom left hand of screen whilst driving and that is there, what are you calling the "tyre load indicator"??

I'm not sure what your on about then, because the "tyre load indicator" to me is the 4 tyres in the bottom left hand of screen whilst driving and that is there, what are you calling the "tyre load indicator"??
Not the tire wear indicator that your talking about. The tire load indicator was 4 pulsating circles that would represent your suspension.

Not the tire wear indicator that your talking about. The tire load indicator was 4 pulsating circles that would represent your suspension.
its not just tyre wear though, it shows your grip level/load as well around the outside,(the outside turns red when load level is reached, then grip is lost.. tyre wear is on inside) was hard to see on gt5, clearer on 6.. so to me that's the "tyre load indicator"
those pulsating circles I never used (think I turned on once, but they used too much screen), and too be fair forgot about.. so sorry for the confusion!!
Did the pulsating circles give you more information than just changing colour? because if they didn't maybe that's the reason it was left out? no need to have to program something twice right?.. unless it's a skyline or mx5 lol..

its not just tyre wear though, it shows your grip level/load as well around the outside,(the outside turns red when load level is reached, then grip is lost.. tyre wear is on inside) was hard to see on gt5, clearer on 6.. so to me that's the "tyre load indicator"
those pulsating circles I never used (think I turned on once, but they used too much screen), and too be fair forgot about.. so sorry for the confusion!!
Did the pulsating circles give you more information than just changing colour? because if they didn't maybe that's the reason it was left out? no need to have to program something twice right?.. unless it's a skyline or mx5 lol..
They show you what the suspension is doing.

The main difference, roughly speaking, is that the 4 circles (both inner and outer) changed according to the stiffness of your setup, so you were able to see whether your setup was too stiff or soft (there was a bit more to it than that). The GT6 tyre indicator in the bottom left goes the same colours (when you get things wrong) and doesn't distinguish between too soft or too hard, it just tells you the tyres have "lost it"...or are being over cooked / pressurised.

The main difference, roughly speaking, is that the 4 circles (both inner and outer) changed according to the stiffness of your setup, so you were able to see whether your setup was too stiff or soft (there was a bit more to it than that). The GT6 tyre indicator in the bottom left goes the same colours (when you get things wrong) and doesn't distinguish between too soft or too hard, it just tells you the tyres have "lost it"...or are being over cooked / pressurised.

thanks for the explanation.. after "ittybitty's" message I decided to put gt5 on and have a look for myself, and it is indeed a great tool, shows you a lot more info ,can see exactly how your dampers are working, how much grip each side of car is exerting and when car is bottoming out. defiantly needs to be brought back, missed out not using it in 5 could have improved all my tunes with it.

thanks for answers guys. i ll pick a couple of cars i like and i ll try to set them. i ll check also this "making progrees"

Back