Car testing - information collection for KS report/bug/flaw huntPS4 

• Thread starter OdeFinn
  • 21 comments
Finland
Finland
OdeFinn
Hi,

Plan is to drive thru all PS4 cars and point out possible flaws in handling, not for ranting them, but delivering information to Kunos for possible repairs on models.
Plus adding flaws in tuning menu too, like value input with decimals, but game rounds or change value to full numbers, or not possible to revert value after altering stock value, or not possible to set stock value i.e. Brake bias etc.

Currently digging Lamborghini Countach, which was first with so oblivious fails on model.

Lamborghini Countach
- weight balance "backward" (several videos coming).

You may contribute this by giving information and possible video proofs and explanations, collecting all information on this or second post, time will tell.
PS4 v1.14

Last edited:
I'll try to help, if I can. Being on the PC I have access to many real time developer apps - real time telemetry..stuff like that. If I can duplicate your issues hopefully we can capture precise data straight from the telemetry. Aristotelis is much more likely to respond if we can present data, rather than just blanket statements like "Hey...This car's brakes suck!". I have an app that will measure 60mph to 0mph, and other measurements. If we can say, "Hey! This car's brakes aren't right. It's taking 150ft to stop from 60mph. Real world versions are all around 115ft!" Something like that will get the devs to investigate and respond. 👍

@Ridox2JZGTE thanks, Kunos has good product, but it need "lot" of polishing, several update stages and tweaks with hard coded fixes aren't good, probably most problems are just "forgotten to fix or re-tweak for current/earlier update" due their manual fixing way on car specific values.

@ALB123 thanks, that's point of this, collecting enough information which can't be bypassed and are easy to solve, kinda big "todo list for Kunos/505".

I took this screenshot of the Lamborghini Countach S1 (no rear wing) while sitting in the pits at Mugello. If you look slightly left of the middle of my screenshot you will see a vertical column of data under the heading "Car Physics". About 8 or 9 items down is "DISTR" which signifies the front load distribution in real time as a percentage of the entire weight. At the second I hit F12 to capture a screenshot it was showing "41.641%" as you can see. If you look at the very bottom of the Car Physics app, you'll see the car was idling at 1000 RPM and my speed was 0 mph. You can take a look at the big box on the right side of the screen called "Telemetry". I have it set to show real time load at all 4 wheels.

HuipGw8.jpg

I then drove the vehicle onto the track and parked just outside the pits where the track is still about as flat as it's going to get. I floored the gas, awkwardly slammed the car into 1st gear with my left hand so I could take another screen grab with my right hand. You'll see from this photo that when I pressed F12 to capture the screenshot the load shifted to the rear tires via the Telemetry app. The Car Physics app now shows the car was at a front load distribution of only 28.638% while I was accelerating as quickly as I could. The car was now at 3869 RPM as shown below:

5fDegmd.jpg

With my foot remaining floored on the gas pedal you'll see that the load has relaxed a miniscule amount as I'm approaching red line (6332 RPM). Front load distribution increased slightly to 29.403% in the photo below:

6kIKrub.jpg

At Red Line I slammed my foot on the brake pedal and you can see the load shifts forward to 58.154% front load distribution. Engine speed was going down from Red Line, now at 5467 RPM as shown below:

StAvnEu.jpg

I hit F12 again, although a bit too quickly as I wanted to have a more significant gap in engine speed, but it still shows that force continued transferring to 59.036% as my engine speed dropped to 5009 RPM show here:

GNTO8Mm.jpg

At the moment I can't think of any additional weight balance testing I can do, but I look forward to seeing what's been happening on your end with the Lamborghini Countach. 👍

@ALB123 Normal version "S" model with wing it has heavy load on front, as well heating up only front wheels and sliding rear like soapbox, totally opposite what it should have, as it was commonly known at that version with wing was even weaker on downforce compared to older wingless model.
I'll make time to edit my videos (long one hour session video, testing with all available three tire models) to give clear picture, and will test on PC how much different PC model is to PS4 model.
About testing on PC, which addon apps I need or should have installed on AC? If you can list basic good addon package to have on PC? (I'm having ability to test on PC as well for some poeriod)

Fortunately, you don't have to install anything. The apps are all present on every installation of Assetto Corsa. But, you do have to enable "Developer Apps" in order to have access to them. To activate them you need to:

Go to \SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and open the file assetto_corsa.ini.

There you have to change ENABLE_DEV_APPS=0 from 0 to 1 and then just save it.

After that, once you start up a session you'll be able to mouse your mouse pointer to the right side of the screen edge and the Developer Apps will be included among the list of "regular" apps.

I can re-run the tests with the winged Lamborghini Countach. I'm certain the results are going to be very similar to the wingless Countach. Are you telling me that you are experiencing greater front weight distribution at rest and increased load on the front tires while accelerating? I just want to be sure that I'm understanding correctly.

@ALB123 ok, bit misunderstanding, that info is good also, but which external apps/mods are "must to have", like RSR live timing and apps like that which are must?

@ALB123 ok, bit misunderstanding, that info is good also, but which external apps/mods are "must to have", like RSR live timing and apps like that which are must?

Depends on what you want to do. I have no need for RSR but if you're into hot-lapping it's probably useful. For online racing HeliCorsa is a must-have IMO. Sidekick has been an extremely useful app for me and I consider it a must-have, it does the job of about a half dozen apps and it's all in one tidy package. Those are pretty much the only 3rd party apps I regularly use anymore.

I'm with Brandon on this one. I don't use the RSR plugin app. If you're into online racing against humans, there's supposed to be a pretty cool app called "SRS" that organizes racers better than the standard way, or something like that. I've never used it - only heard about it.

I have SideKick installed because it does the jobs of several apps, all in a nice compact resizeable package. It will keep track of your laptime, best lap of the session, personal best time with that car/track combo for when you re-run that combo 2 weeks later, mph or kph, tire wear, tire pressure, tire temp, brake temperature, Redline warning, current gear, etc... It looks like this:

PgCC5ig.gif

You can download it here:

Helicorsa is a good app because it gives you a color-coded indication of what cars are currently near you. Pretty vital for spacial awareness when dealing with only a flat 2D screen in front of you: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/

I have used FFBClip to help me set my in-car FFB for various vehicles. I'm not currently using it as I felt it messed up a few times and switched my dialed-in FFB % to 200% for some reason...and then I couldn't remember what % I had it set to before that, but some people swear by it. There is also another app that some people swear by for analyzing your steering wheel and creating a Look-Up-Table (.LUT file) for the game to use when interpolating the ideal FFB curve or something like that. http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ffbclip-app.7910/

I have the Setup Market App installed, just in case I feel like browsing for new car setups while I'm on the track. You can download the setup files of your choosing right into you cat's setup folder for whichever track you're currently on. Plus, you can also upload your own car steps directly from the track to share with everybody. http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/the-setup-market.10149/

If you have a 2nd screen that you'd like to incorporate there is Vector Info Screen which will display your tire info in a big screen on your 2nd monitor.

6JeJ9L1.png

Race Department is where you want to go to dive into 3rd party apps.

@ALB123 & @BrandonW77 thanks, will check those later, had several hour testing on pc and one thing is sure between PS4 v1.14 and PC v1.14.4, there's way different grip levels and weight transfers on those, PS4 runs on soap and "no grip" on rear when PC version just sails planted on ground.

Biggest must have setting to PS4 is minimumFFB value, setting wheel to exact same behaviour it needs to be zero on PC while other settings are 1:1, this option helps lot on body inertia tracking with G27, way way easier to push hard and slide tail and keep it under control.
My testing goes sadly on closest possible FFB to PS4 activated, so not helping on testing, but definitely will use it when just driving for fun.

Taking Lambo soon on inspection at PC, but after few tested cars running close to identical setup on PC& PS4 I'm pretty sure at Lambo is behaving better on PC.

Edit: PC Lambo is better, but not right, weight sits on front wheels. Higher grip level and possibly different weight model handling makes this bit better on PC.
Prominent feel of front weight is there and bothering. Goes on line with other cars differences between PS4 and PC.

Last edited:
Biggest must have setting to PS4 is minimumFFB value, setting wheel to exact same behaviour it needs to be zero on PC

Generally the G27 needs a bit of minimum force added, like maybe 5-10% or more. Helps tighten it up a bit and supposedly minimizes any deadzone around center. You can use the WheelCheck app to find out what your minimum force should be, there's a download link and instructions on how to use it at this link.

https://boxthislap.org/logitech-g27-wheel-settings/

Generally the G27 needs a bit of minimum force added, like maybe 5-10% or more. Helps tighten it up a bit and supposedly minimizes any deadzone around center. You can use the WheelCheck app to find out what your minimum force should be, there's a download link and instructions on how to use it at this link.

https://boxthislap.org/logitech-g27-wheel-settings/
It can be anything, if just adjust counter balance from road FFB :)

It can be anything, if just adjust counter balance from road FFB :)

That's not how it works. On lower end wheels like the G27 the motors aren't strong enough to transmit some of the lower forces sent by the game so you end up not feeling them. For the sake of example, say a force of 10 is the lowest the G27 can transmit, this means any forces below 10 you will not feel. What the minimum force does is tell the game "Ok game, the wheel can't transmit anything lower than 10 so any force below 10 needs to be boosted to 10 so the wheel can transmit it correctly". This is why the G27 often has a deadzone around center, the forces are low enough that the motors can't transmit them so you end up with nothing coming through, by turning up the minimum force you will then be able to feel those low signals and the deadzone will be greatly reduced or entirely removed.

That's not how it works. On lower end wheels like the G27 the motors aren't strong enough to transmit some of the lower forces sent by the game so you end up not feeling them. For the sake of example, say a force of 10 is the lowest the G27 can transmit, this means any forces below 10 you will not feel. What the minimum force does is tell the game "Ok game, the wheel can't transmit anything lower than 10 so any force below 10 needs to be boosted to 10 so the wheel can transmit it correctly". This is why the G27 often has a deadzone around center, the forces are low enough that the motors can't transmit them so you end up with nothing coming through, by turning up the minimum force you will then be able to feel those low signals and the deadzone will be greatly reduced or entirely removed.
We have bit different view on this, let me give examples which are all acting in very similar ways on G27, all with nearly zero or zero deadzone:
a)
Gain 91
minimum 10
road 48

b)
gain 91
minimum 20
road 43

c)
gain 100
minimum 20
road 39

Everything else off, and logitech own prog settings rotation 900 and ffb power 100, everything else off there, and "allow game adjust settings=on", you may test and say then.. ;)

We have bit different view on this,

Well, what I described is the definition of how minimum force works, so there's not really any other view to have on it. It boosts lower forces up to a set minimum so that lower-end wheels can transmit the low forces. Just run the wheelcheck app I linked to above and it will tell you exactly what your minimum force should be, set it to that and forget it. 👍

you may test and say then.. ;)

I no longer have a functioning G27, and those numbers would produce an unpleasant condition on my wheel so no point in testing them. But at the end of the day, all that matters is what makes you happy so if those settings are pleasing to you then go for it! 👍

Well...good luck @OdeFinn... About consoles bug an issues reporting you will need a real miracle to 1/been listening 2/ now how to report it in 3 manners 3/it get fixed.

I've been reporting issue's and bugs since the launch of the game on PS4 along with other people. ..
Still today there are issues and bugs from day one without fixes and in every update there's more new issues and bugs than fixes.

We reported every single update the same and new things again and again in the 3 manners to report bugs.

They also promised a tread with all problems /bugs/ issues that is reported and wich fixed or are working on it...

6 months after those promise still nothing.

Me and quite some users don't gonna loose more of our time reporting because they are doing nothing..

Enjoy the game as it is on console. And Don't loose your time.

And if you want a good support and the real assetto corsa, go and buy the PC version and use the console disc as a cupholder.

I've been reporting issue's and bugs since the launch of the game on PS4 along with other people. ..
Still today there are

Truly understand your frustration, I'm following that trail sooner than I expected.
More I test, more I read, more I compare and more I'm drowning in same deep hole. But I'll try once, even seeing how much there's going wrong already, noticing difference in approach between PS4 and PC development and overall way of Kunos approach on coding this just starts to blow my head.

And if you want a good support and the real assetto corsa, go and buy the PC version and use the console disc as a cupholder.

Currently having one semi capable PC on hands and negotiation going on if I can acquit it for me permanently. Didn't know at it was having enough power to run high settings on AC and rF2 plus others, and steam+ windows 10 was other part of surprise, PC gaming is closing on my personal need of "press play on tape" style gaming, I don't want to dig in every setting and .ini file, just play on it. I'm having AC/rF2/Automobilista on it and I'm on edge of falling in PC gaming.

This thread is still a project what I want go thru, but it might go on "soon"©Kunos way, depends lot on my current spare time, there's just freaking too much going on my life currently, needing extra few days per week just for sleeping. :)

Last edited:
PC gaming is closing on my personal need of "press play on tape" style gaming, I don't want to dig in every setting and .ini file, just play on it.

In my experience that's pretty much how PCs are now, just turn on and play. Especially with AC there's no need to edit any files or anything, there's plenty of things you can edit but none of them are necessary to play. And components are robust enough now that there's not really much need to upgrade things regularly either, my last PC I used for two years and other than adding a sound card with surround sound I never upgraded anything. 👍

Back