Cars That Are Below Par

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liammanator
  • 68 comments
  • 6,685 views
The stock Gallardo isn't good to race with, but for drifting it is great...

Drifting with a Gallardo? :confused: I am assuming you are aware that the Gallardo is AWD.
 
The Caterham is the only one that stands out for me, the actual handling is great, but the engine/gearing takes for ever to get 0-60mph, maybe if we ever get individual tranny gear selection we can tune it out with a special 1st gear, but for now that thing is a dog off the line, which the real one doesn't seem to be at least on Top Gear.

Also the Gallardo is actually fine for me, I tuned it a bit and added a rear spoiler (one of the few cars with a paint color matched spoiler available) and it handles great, it's one of my favorites.
 
The FGT it feels amazing in the high speed corners but as soon as you get to a slow corner it seems to slide way more than it should...

Aero creates less downforce at slow speeds and the car relies more on mechanical grip.
 
The FGT it feels amazing in the high speed corners but as soon as you get to a slow corner it seems to slide way more than it should...

I thought this also. Glad it just isn't me.

Aero creates less downforce at slow speeds and the car relies more on mechanical grip.

But F1 cars have lots of mechanical grip also, due to their huge incredibly sticky tires.
 
the 8C Competitzione is garbage, as well as the ZR1. The ZR1 is awful for me...
 
The Fireblade is awesome, i used it for my British lightweight races.
Lambos where fine, heavy AWD, just as expected.

"Below Par" seems to be a comment yoyo-ing back to the driver :)
 
Right this is a ranty thread about cars that are well below par in the game.

Caterham Fireblade:

When I saw this in the used car lot I got overly excited took it to Tsubaka and what a let down! tuned it up and it's still ****e! hmmm this one disappoints me the most.

? I got that car and thought it was premium quality.. Just needed a interior view.
 
Ferrari F40. Does not handle at all.
 
Some of you guys are crazy. The Gallardo handles great, a little under tyred imo but the balance and grip is there if you want it. I think most of you just have no idea about weight distribution and transfer or you are slapping turbos or the 20k suspension on the cars and expecting them to be faster and handle better when you get to a corner. Seriously, some of the cars mentioned here belong on the opposite list.

But F1 cars have lots of mechanical grip also, due to their huge incredibly sticky tires.

Without the massive amounts of downforce from the wings/spoilers at high speed, the mechanical grip is pretty low, comparatively. They are meant to handle like a dog when there is less air pushing them into the ground.

Want them to turn in a little shaper at lower speeds? Increase the downforce or increase your turn in speed.
 
Last edited:
Without the massive amounts of downforce from the wings/spoilers at high speed, the mechanical grip is pretty low, comparatively.

True, mech grip is low compared to the aero grip. But I still don't think they would be this slippery at low speeds once the tires are hot and sticky. I know how light the cars are, but their tires are pretty much the definition of contact patch. :)

Never driven an F1 car IRL, but I've never seen one this slippery in slow corners in any other sim.

I dunno
 
True, mech grip is low compared to the aero grip. But I still don't think they would be this slippery at low speeds once the tires are hot and sticky. I know how light the cars are, but their tires are pretty much the definition of contact patch. :)

Never driven an F1 car IRL, but I've never seen one this slippery in slow corners in any other sim.

I dunno

It felt right to me but I haven't really spent a lot of time in the FGT so I could be wrong. Or I could just be wrong anyway lol
 
Drifting with a Gallardo? :confused: I am assuming you are aware that the Gallardo is AWD.

Well stock (tires aswell) it slides alot... that was the point I was trying to get too.
 
It's the Mclaren F1 for me I love the car but it spins out way too much and even fully tuned it's acceleration is amazingly slow.

Really? 0-60: 3.2 sec, 0-100: 6.3 sec. Stock.
It's the fastest naturally aspirated car even today, 18 years after it was first built.
 
I got super excited to buy the Suzuki Eskudo Pikes Peak car when I saw it in the used car lot. But even with an oil change, Lv. 3 turbo, and engine overhaul, it's nothing like the 1500+ HP monster it was in the previous games. (I can only max it to 1050 HP)

I can't get the damn thing to break 200 mph on Daytona!!! (Even though it weighs 50kg less & has 10 more HP than my Toyota MINOLTA which does 230+ easily)

Does anyone have a good tuning strategy for this car? Is it possible that the HUGE wing causes too much downforce and is slowing it down? I messed with the gear ratios for 20 minutes so I know that's not my problem... grrr...
 
Really? 0-60: 3.2 sec, 0-100: 6.3 sec. Stock.
It's the fastest naturally aspirated car even today, 18 years after it was first built.
Thought the fastest NA car was the Aston Martin One-77?
 
Thought the fastest NA car was the Aston Martin One-77?

The One-77 is more powerful, but much slower. Quite the handful to drive in Forza too.

A look at wikipedia says the One-77 is the most powerful NA car in the world and shows 750hp vs 627hp, and top speeds of 220 vs 243 for the One-77 and F1. Not sure how accurate that is given it's wikipedia though.

According to the wiki again, the only cars faster than the F1 are the CCR, Veryon, Aero TT, and the Veyron SS.
 
Amazed at the Mclaren F1 being mentioned, it hits 60 in 3 seconds, excellent grip and very nice traction considering the power. I was able to win the final extreme event (Dream Car) using this car with completely stock parts, on Hard Racing tyres. So you got 0-60 in 3 seconds and a top speed of around 225mph and plenty of gear left to draft (Though the real life car is faster in top speed), makes it second only to the bugatti veyron for straight line speed of a stock road car, and around a track its faster than a veyron.

If you upgrade/tune it, the Racing gearbox is hopeless for a lot of tracks as the ratios for the 1st/2nd gear are too short, making it very hard to control at the high rev range (something common in high powered NA cars).

The cars handling is really close to the videos i have seen, the way the back end comes out, it was well known that the road car version was very much a handful and for racing it had to be modified to make it more stable (Hence the longtail version at Le Mans), the Mclaren F1 Road was a notoriously difficult car to drive, some even described it as a "Bit of a dog"

Personally i think its one of the best done cars in the game, though i'm disapointed with the racing gearbox ratios, and the fact that it will not reach 240mph, the sound of the car could have been a lot more menacing, though about 90% of the cars in game have quite weak sounds, The handling and the vibe from the car itself is brilliant and it looks absolutely beautiful, which does it for me. This is my favourite car to drive in the game.



I was dissapointed with the 98 Mini Cooper, fully tuned it should be a beast as its powerful and light, but it handles and drives as if it is a lot heavier than it really is. The Lamborghini Miura is far too fast to be realistic, the Formula GT is a shockingly bad representation of a fantasy F1 car and i despise it.
 
Ahh yes the Mini I forgot about that one. That woefully under performs also. It doesn't have the chuck ability that a real Mini has.

My main gripes with the Caterham are the representation of it's power to weight ratio and it's "i'm going to chuck you of the road when you least suspect it handling" These cars are not tail happy you sitting on the rear axle and with slicks on they have stupid levels of grip and with the Fireblade engine that has NO torque the power delivery is progressive and predictable.

I agree with the chaps about the lack of mechanical grip on the FGT that thing seems to rely solely on aero. The first chicane at Monza is where you notice it's lack of mechanical grip the most you have to drive it so tentatively around there.
 
I have one major issue with the E Type. In real life the car will hit 150 mph (or more depending on final drive). In the game the car tops out somewhat short of that speed. A serious error to say the least. It could be the real car had an overdrive but PD could have "simulated" that by fitting a 5 speed box, provided they explaiened their reasoning.
 
wonder why so many people call the lambos in game as the ones with the worst handling or "inaccurate" representation of the real thing.
sure it's hard to drive esp. on the flat high speed tracks like monza, nurb gp or TG track, a good way to practice MR cars is to try getting at least silver on the TG ss 2nd event, the lotus elise. GT is not for button mashers.
now the older lambos (miura, countach) those r unrealistic, read older car magazines to see all the journalist complaining about their handling / breaks or the lack thereof.
in the game however, they drive just as well as the new ones :D
 
Miura's worse.

Oh and my gripe car is Corvette ZR1. Worst driving car I have ever driven in a racing game. My new least favorite car.

Ive just spent 800k RM'ing it and I can honestly say absolute waste of money. Not enough pace to match race cars on like te wind. Too much over steert for GT allstars.
 
The Lotus Elise. This is supposed to be a handling wonder. But for some reason I cannot control it in fast corners. I can control my overpowered pick-up a lot better.

I gave it some better tires which helped a lot (but adding soft tires feels like cheating). I tell myself it's more like a real Elise now. :(
 
Goshin2568 View Post
Miura's worse.

Oh and my gripe car is Corvette ZR1. Worst driving car I have ever driven in a racing game. My new least favorite car.
Ive just spent 800k RM'ing it and I can honestly say absolute waste of money. Not enough pace to match race cars on like te wind. Too much over steert for GT allstars.

Look for a good tune off here. Its my favourite car in the game thus far.. Like the wind (both races) is pretty straight forward. Indy i dont need to break or let off the power. This car makes me money!!
 
Ive just spent 800k RM'ing it and I can honestly say absolute waste of money. Not enough pace to match race cars on like te wind. Too much over steert for GT allstars.

strange....I annihilated my competion in LTW with the ZR1 (both tracks, even though I spinned out twice in Daytona)
 
Seems to be complaining thread for people that don't respect cars as they are and don't want to adapt to car's specific handling or fact that almost 700 hp FR car is just a beast to play, not exactly mainstream thing optimised for easy driving.

I love many of said hated cars, for example stock Gallardo is dream. It's 4WD with strong rear bias, it has lots of traction, is little bit understeery a little bit oversteery depends on how you drive it. Its engine sound is well represented and that V10 exhaust grunt in middle range rpm in replays is just spot on. Wonderful car.

Some standard cars seem to have somehow simplified physics to me though.
 
What do you mean? That car handles beautifully.

Yeah, I agree. The Maserati is by far the sexiest car in the game and handles like a dream. When I saw jaysvw's comment I kind of went like 'What you talkin about' jaysvw!!! (Arnold style) :)
 
Seems to be complaining thread for people that don't respect cars as they are and don't want to adapt to car's specific handling or fact that almost 700 hp FR car is just a beast to play, not exactly mainstream thing optimised for easy driving.

I love many of said hated cars, for example stock Gallardo is dream. It's 4WD with strong rear bias, it has lots of traction, is little bit understeery a little bit oversteery depends on how you drive it. Its engine sound is well represented and that V10 exhaust grunt in middle range rpm in replays is just spot on. Wonderful car.

Some standard cars seem to have somehow simplified physics to me though.

Hated is the incorrect word. Disappointed is the appropriate word.

I want the Gallardo to be a dream. Judging by all the car testers reviews (magazines etc) it's not a bad car. Trouble is in the game it's not great in stock tune is it? The R8 is far better to drive than the Gallardo and they are essentially the same car.
 
I disagree with almost everyone in this thread. Every car is different and must be driven differently.
 
Back