Cars with other cars parts,

  • Thread starter Thread starter Savoy1984
  • 60 comments
  • 3,054 views
As for the electromagnetic dampeners on the Cadillacs, Ferrari 599, Audi TT etc they may use the same technology but they certainly are not the same parts. Thats like saying Toyota and Nissan use the same engines because the the Supra and Skyline both came with Twin Turbo inline 6's.

I've read that the 599 uses the same system as the Corvette but "retuned".
 
Yes, that's YSSMAN's point, they do use the same parts, since both systems were developed by Delphi.
 
Well they can both be developed by the same company, but are the interchangable? Could I use a electromagnetic dampeners off a GM car and fit it to a Audi TT or Ferrari 599? Or vice versa or any combination? Or are they completely redesigned using the same technology?

What I am getting at, are they the same parts (adapted) or are they a complete redesign using the same technology?

For example the T56 gearbox is pretty much identical (slight differences like syncro's ect) but adapted to the different engines.

The Nissan RB30E used in the VL Holden Commdore is the exact same engine used in the Australian built R31 Skyline. Now thats what I call "other cars with the same parts".
 
I see your point--but certainly the fluid and very likely the charge carrying mesh from inside the shock (basically the valving) interchange.

EDIT: I guess I had forgotten what the title of the thread was exactly...
 
I see your point--but certainly the fluid and very likely the charge carrying mesh from inside the shock (basically the valving) interchange.

EDIT: I guess I had forgotten what the title of the thread was exactly...

Hehe yeah in that case Engine oil is a good example of exchangable parts :p


Some more minor ones

My Nissan has standard :

Mitsubishi Starter motor
Mitsubishi Crank angle sensor
Mitsubishi recirculation valve
 
What I am getting at, are they the same parts (adapted) or are they a complete redesign using the same technology?

You've got my point exactly. I can take that point one step further:

Is it possible to make the same technology without using the same, or at least similar, parts?
 
Do you expect me to read that? I drive a Mazda.
 
Since when? Does it "Zoom Zoom?"

The handling is as tight as an X5. I swear to god. Then again it was the 'performance version' of the triplets.

138-totd.jpg
 
I should totally race you:

Hey! I do 0-60 in 8.4 seconds!

When I get it to Georgia in September, I want to run it on a dragstrip. I think it will pull a mid-17, which isn't awful in my book. On its worst nights, that's what my Volvo would do. Though it eventually ran a mid-15.

Skip

Yeah, everyone tells me I'm crazy, and I guess I'm biased, but I've never been so underwhelmed with something as I was with the BMW X5.
 
Yeah, everyone tells me I'm crazy, and I guess I'm biased, but I've never been so underwhelmed with something as I was with the BMW X5.

My buddy is a Ford tech (currently unemployed, though) and his comment on the Ford Escape was that it "felt like a rebadged Kia". He had another comment, but I can't post that.
 
My buddy is a Ford tech (currently unemployed, though) and his comment on the Ford Escape was that it "felt like a rebadged Kia". He had another comment, but I can't post that.

:lol: In what aspect? The exterior panels fit poorly, but it's a well-done car. After all, it's the best-selling vehicle in its class for a reason.
 
Hey! I do 0-60 in 8.4 seconds!
8.3 son! And I could totally cheat by going off road.
Is your Mazda a slushbox?

M5Power
Yeah, everyone tells me I'm crazy, and I guess I'm biased, but I've never been so underwhelmed with something as I was with the BMW X5.
Come now, Doug. It is only a poorer handling, more expensive, less practical, more fuel thirsty and slower 5 series wagon. Whats not to like?
 
8.3 son! And I could totally cheat by going off road.
Is your Mazda a slushbox?

8.3 my ass! I'm feeling more like yours is low tens. :p

Come now, Doug. It is only a poorer handling, more expensive, less practical, more fuel thirsty and slower 5 series wagon. Whats not to like?

Everyone built it up to be the Ferrari of SUVs. I swear the Tribute handles just as well. The X5 is just not that good. Especially considering the one I drove was north of $50k, and it couldn't out-accelerate my Tribute on its best day.
 
:lol: In what aspect? The exterior panels fit poorly, but it's a well-done car. After all, it's the best-selling vehicle in its class for a reason.

He didn't like the handling, compared to his 2WD TrailBlazer LTZ (which, I am quite surprised, actually handles pretty well). Also he thought it was lacking in get up and go, but (although I didn't ask) he probably was testing an older 4 cyl auto, which at 127 hp is certainly not going to break any records. He basically said it was an okay commuter car but not something he'd like to drive.

EDIT: Looking at your post above, I don't know where the difference of opinion comes from on the handling. My friend has owned 3 RWD vehicles...so he is pretty much turned off by any understeer as a handling trait...perhaps that's it.
 
8.3 my ass! I'm feeling more like yours is low tens. :p
Looks like you lost your ass, then. Seriously, you don't know how hard it was to find any 0-60 figures at all for an S10 Blazer. Took me half and hour.
Though, truthfully, lord knows what mine would pull. Mine weighs less than the second gen, and for all I know it may be faster. Then again, only 5 cylinders seem to run correctly with any consistency, so what have you.
I'm sure I could beat 17 seconds in the quarter, though.
Damn it, I need a 5.7L V8.
 
I'm sure I could beat 17 seconds in the quarter, though.
Damn it, I need a 5.7L V8.[/SIZE][/FONT]

This is crazy bragging. Your car is fifteen years old!! We do need to race. Come on down to Georgia and you can spot some cars with me and we can drag it at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Skip
He didn't like the handling, compared to his 2WD TrailBlazer LTZ (which, I am quite surprised, actually handles pretty well). Also he thought it was lacking in get up and go, but (although I didn't ask) he probably was testing an older 4 cyl auto, which at 127 hp is certainly not going to break any records.

Yeah, the 4-cylinder models are pathetic - in the 12s to 60. We have the 200-horsepower 3-liter six, coupled with the 4-speed automatic. Even the hybrid outruns the old 2-liter 4-cylinder models.
 
Well they can both be developed by the same company, but are the interchangable? Could I use a electromagnetic dampeners off a GM car and fit it to a Audi TT or Ferrari 599? Or vice versa or any combination? Or are they completely redesigned using the same technology?

What I am getting at, are they the same parts (adapted) or are they a complete redesign using the same technology?

For example the T56 gearbox is pretty much identical (slight differences like syncro's ect) but adapted to the different engines.

To answer your questions:

I am not sure if the suspensions are completely interchangeable between the STS, Corvette, 599, and TT, but they are all based on the Delphi MagaRide setup tuned by their respective companies for use of their product. Does that make them different? Sure, different in the way that the Rover V8 was based on a Buick design, but nevertheless remained a spin-off of the same product, connecting the two forever. Chances are that the Ferrari and Audi tunes of MagaRide are a bit more complex than those found on the various GM models, however that does not dilute the fact that they are essentially the same pieces made by the same people that do exactly the same thing...

...Tiptronic does not follow that rule, as that is a Porsche/VAG setup. Every company has pretty much copied the idea since then, however they are not using THE Tiptronic transmissions...

In the case of the T-56, most cases it is an identical part used by various models tuned to the basic needs of the given company. In most occasions it shares the same name and designation, but it may be a little more vague in the Ford Mustang, while more direct in the Holden Monaro, and more heavy-duty in the Dodge Viper. Then Aston Martin gets their hands on it, adds an SMG-like function to it, and although it is no-longer the T-56 found in the Mustang, it is still a T-56 at heart... Or in the case of the VE/Zeta models, the M10 manual is based on the T-56, albeit a heavily modified version, but it is still essentially a T-56.
 
The handling is as tight as an X5. I swear to god. Then again it was the 'performance version' of the triplets.

138-totd.jpg

Having driven the Escape version, I can vouch that the handling is about as good as a CR-V class vehicle gets, but having driven at 8.5/10ths against an X5 on a mountain run at 2 am (160 km/h uphill, anyone... :lol: ) with the Proty (which handles better than the Tribby, and is faster, to boot), I must say, I don't think the Tribby would be able to keep up.

The X5 is just phenomenal for such a tall vehicle, incredible roll stability and incredibly neutral handling (on its stock wheels). If I'd had an Escape or Tribby that night, I'd have been picking twigs out of my teeth if I'd tried to keep up. As it was, I was out-cornering him (on stock tires, too), but I was damn impressed with the X5's road manners.

The Escape/Tribby does feel very neutral at lower speeds, and the steering is very nice, but it scrubs off into a lot of mid-corner understeer once you actually start pushing it hard. The BMW may feel heavier at low speeds, but that thing really dances at high speed.

I have a soft spot for both cars, though, I wouldn't mind having a V6 Tribby in my garage (yes, I'm a Mazda fan... too bad we have no local MTs), but I'd love to have a turbodiesel X5. :D
 
So it's rubbish then.

I heared some guy with an Audi RS4 had to have his engine rebuilt, when he opened his bonnet to see the work he saw this.
5%20engine.jpg

I heard some guy with a TVR got a reliability upgrade package. Now whenever his TVR breaks down, he can just get the spare "reliability package" car out of the trunk.
 
Having driven the Escape version, I can vouch that the handling is about as good as a CR-V class vehicle gets, but having driven at 8.5/10ths against an X5 on a mountain run at 2 am (160 km/h uphill, anyone... :lol: ) with the Proty (which handles better than the Tribby, and is faster, to boot), I must say, I don't think the Tribby would be able to keep up.

Perhaps. I admit I didn't drive the X5 at high speeds or in any intense cornering maneuvers, just a 30-minue test-drive in a neighborhood and some city streets topping out at possibly 40mph. I was impressed with the workmanship, but I just couldn't believe that it wasn't that much better than my $25,000 Ford-built Mazda. I thought it'd be the best-handling vehicle I ever drove; it wasn't even close. I'm not saying the X5 is not a good vehicle - just, perhaps, that my expectations were too high.

I have a soft spot for both cars, though, I wouldn't mind having a V6 Tribby in my garage (yes, I'm a Mazda fan... too bad we have no local MTs), but I'd love to have a turbodiesel X5. :D

They didn't make a six-cylinder manual in the States... did your market get one?
 
I don't think X5's are that special. When they first came out they were praised for handling like a regular car, what regular, was open to interpretation. And back then, it probably was the best handling 4x4 available. But I haven't heared much praise for it since around the time it's launched. I also think the competition has risen to the challenge to create good handling 4x4s in the mean time as well.

I heard some guy with a TVR got a reliability upgrade package. Now whenever his TVR breaks down, he can just get the spare "reliability package" car out of the trunk.
Yeah, and it comes in a bag... But it isn't a car...
brbiab.jpg


Do you see how pointless these "I heared a guy say....." arguments are if you can't back them up. You already have a reputation for unfounded claims without bringing "a guy said..." into it.
 
And back then, it probably was the best handling 4x4 available.

Good point. The vehicle did come out in 2000. Haven't had a chance to drive the new one yet. I wonder what the Porsche Cayenne handles like. It's so heavy and tall, it can't be too groundbreaking itself. I guess I shouldn't expect car-like handling from anything except... a car.
 
That is true. The competition and stakes have moved on in terms of SUVs, thus, the X5 doesn't get much love nowadays.

It was spectacular in its time because it drove more like a car than those other bounding, bouncing, sloppy gutless wonders on the market... but since then, many luxury SUVs have started to ape that bit... and SUVs are often big bucks, and big bucks often go to the big numbers, which means that it's all: Cayenne, Cayenne, Cayenne, oh, Jeep SRT8, Cayenne, Cayenne... oh, and that BMW thing is nice, Cayenne.... etc.

The reason, probably, why it didn't feel that much more special than the Tribby is the fact that Mazda, unlike other mass-market makers, actually pays attention to handling and feedback (on most of their cars, anyway...). You get such a positive and heavy response from the primary controls that you kind of expect it in every single car you drive afterwards, and are disappointed if you don't get it, and when you do, you think: "duh, isn't that how a car's supposed to drive anyway?".

And besides, the Tribby is lighter, you'll definitely feel that. While I've driven SUVs that have impressed me with their road manners, the weight always means that they feel sloppier than a sedan. The Escape, while rolling a bit more than I'd like, feels light on its toes and more positive in that regard. Still, unless it's lowered a few inches and given a stiffer rear stabilizer, (hmmm, interesting project) chances of it outgunning an X5 on the track (say, a 3.0, to make it fair) are slim.

Various road-testers have likened the steering of some Mazda models to the previous generation BMWs (the current "active steering" BMWs have kind of lost the plot a bit), so if it doesn't feel that dis-similar, then that's a compliment for your Tribby, not a black mark against the BMW... :lol:
 
The handling is as tight as an X5. I swear to god. Then again it was the 'performance version' of the triplets.

138-totd.jpg

Hey cool I completely forgot you drove a Tribby, I drive my dad's Tribby all the time, It's an '06 3.0 V6 AWD version. Definately a lot funner in the snow than the old '02 Tribute we had with the older AWD sytem and no ABS. I've driven the Escape counterpart of our tribute once and it definately felt a lot softer and squishy around the corners, since the Trib has a stiffer suspension. I think it would be great if they ditched the old Duratec 6 and dropped the 3.5L V6 into the Trib, definately would bring some life into it performance wise.


On the subject of cars with other cars parts the Koenigsegg CC2000, CCR and CCX have used Mazda RX-7 reflectors and signals.
Here's an earlier model FD for reference:

A Koenigsegg CC2000 for comparison:

And I believe all three Koenigsegg's use FD RX-7 rear reflectors:
FD for reference:

CC2000

CCR

And the CCX sans spoiler
 
Back