CART and F1

• Thread starter Phil
  • 63 comments
Well... It will add more friction if those tires are soft. If they are hard tires, you would see alot more crashes in the beggining of the race. It also depends on the conditions on the track. So we are sort of right and wrong. It just depends on the tires design,texture,and condition of the track.

Thats why some F1 drivers mess up easier than others.

In GT2 if I equip hard tires they slip on the track pretty easy.

I'd like to start with a 'Hi' like all the other new guys seem to do. well here we go. I thought the grooved Bridgestones F1 uses were to slow the cars down. also a non grooved slick does provide more traction I would think. and about NASCAR... anyone here like it? I find some of the races to be pretty good, especially the ones on the superspeedways where it's close all the way down to the checkered. those NASCAR road races are extremely boring, they are slow and there are cautions coming every 3 laps. well I have to watch CART, IRL and NASCAR since I can't get speedvision.

Hey Zeronian, welcome to GTPlanet!

Now, about these tires...  Most of the F1 cars use very soft compounds, and the grooves are required by the FIA to slow the cars down in the curves.  (the grooves dramatically reduce the grip)

yeah I know they show that Le Mans stuff on Fox Sports Net, but they never show F1. I have been getting my F1 highlights from rpm tonight on sunday nights.

Hi zeronian

This year, the tyres (all compounds) are much softer than they were last year because of the rule changes to reduce downforce so more teams are running with the harder compound tyre for durability appart from low grip tracks like Monaco and Hungary.

Evo, I don't think GT2 tyre wise is a true reflection of F1.

Monaco and Hungary are considered low grip?  :conf:

They are considered low grip tracks because Monaco doesn't generate much grip because it is run on normal roads and doesn't have high grip asphalt like normal circuits and the Hungaroring is a very dusty track.

yeah NASCAR is boring. almost every track is the same and there are 5 lap cautions every 10 minues. oh well CART is a lot better, since at least they have diversity and are going semi-international. one more thing, IROC is the International Race of Champions, but 10 of the 12 guys in the series is from NASCAR, and they are all american. I guess what they are saying is that NASCAR has the best drivers in the world???

How hard can it be to drive in NASCAR? OK so it is very close and easy to get tagged but you dont have to worry about putting the power down after corners or picking a braking point.

yeah there are some great road courses, they should use Laguna Seca for the American Grand Prix. hmm but Indianapolis is a lot closer to me, maybe I should go this year...

Although Laguna Seca is a great track, I don't think it will suit F1 because it is a bit too tight to overtake and because Indianapolis has a lot of history, it wont be held anywhere else. I wouldn't mind them having a gp at Long Beach again though.

Yes it would but  don't think it would provide an entertaining race. I would love to see a lap of Laguna Seca on board an F1 car though.

Hi, new to the board....just thought I'd bring up a question...wouldn F1 or CART cars be able to take that one chicane that dips at Laguna? I think overtaking at Laguna would be camparable to Monte Carlo since they are both narrow tracks.
Oh, and I don't really like OVAL tracks too much, unless there's real action going on, it really inhibits driver ability IMO, F1 kicks a**, CART is OK, NASCAR could be better in the future.

I can tell you CART cars can because they race there and I guess F1 cars would be able to. It shouldn't be too much of a problem for them because you would need a high downforce set-up for the track anyway.

NASCAR would be better if all 43 of the drivers on the track weren't all related to eachother, and I think the credibility of it is going downhill, every race I hear guys saying how competitive the sport is.

I know most of you guys arent big fans of nascar but i would suggest you watch a nascar restrictor plate race at one of the superspeedways such as daytona or talladega, most of the drivers hate them, but it is close racing all throughout the race, infact if i remember right at the pepsi 400 the only reason a driver would go a lap down is if they got in a wreck or had a failure of some sort.

just a suggestion.

Ok According to Phils first post, F1 cars have <B>AUTOMATIC</B> gearboxes, this is however untrue, the correct terminology is <B>semi-automatic</b> Formula 1 cars have Shift without Lift technology that automatically engages the clutch, and lets the driver stay on the gas while shifting.
  Yes indeed, NASCAR does... how should i say, SUCK! NASCAR is low tech, mostly oval, high # of caution laps, American only racing.
F1 is  On the cutting edge of technology, on race tracks, Not ovals!, has very few caution laps and is Completely and totally international. Nearly every industrial nation is represented in F1. Plus F1 is open wheeled which allows the cars to go faster due to a low center of gravity and lighter in weight. Now if only the FIA  allowed straight slicks and any ride height the teams wanted...

F1 teams, since the Spanish GP have been allowed to use fully automatic gearboxes if they wish. This was along side the traction control and launch control. The FIA allowed these in return for some rule changes to be allowed in a couple of season. I think these changes will be to abolish some parts of marshelling.

Back