Cast Your Vote in The World Cup of Movie Cars

As it was the weekend and we had the FIA GT Sport European finals, we've had a little break before the quarter-finals. But as I'm back, here we go.

Quarter-final 1:

The Fast and The Furious - Toyota Supra MkIV
wcomc-008-fandf-supra-jpg.769843

If this film had been the one and only, the Supra might be the most memorable of the very many cars in it. Introduced as a burned-out wreck, this is the "ten second car" Brian owes Dom, and uses to get inside the Toretto family circle while investigating heists of 14-inch CRT/VCR shipments. It was 2001. After whipping a "more than you can afford" Ferrari and chasing down the real bad guy, Brian lets Dom escape in the Supra after the climactic drag race. Sadly Dom came back, but the Supra didn't.

How it got here:
1R - 2nd in Group E (behind DeLorean DMC-12)
2R - 57:43 win over Italian Job Austin Mini Cooper S

Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) - Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
i002211.jpg

Although the original Eleanor makes it into our final 32, the remake does too. The Nic Cage heist caper sees Memphis Raines and his crew trying to steal 50 cars in one night for an export order. To fool the cops, the gang uses codenames for each of the 50 cars and the Shelby Mustang - Raines' unicorn car, as he's never been able to get away with stealing one - is Eleanor. We wouldn't say he's exactly successful this time either.

How it got here:
1R - Won Group D
2R - 53:47 win over Bullitt Ford Mustang

From here onwards, no decision will be easy - these are the top eight movie cars in the world... choose wisely!

Last edited:
We've lost one Eleanor, but can the original do any better? It's up against another classic muscle car, albeit one made for a much more recent film (based on a TV series) in a Motor City V8 battle:

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Ford Mustang Mach 1 "Eleanor"
i004972.jpg

GTPlanet's members voted for both Eleanors to appear on this list - despite some arguing over which was the "right" one. The plot is broadly similar, with Maindrian Pace running a professional car theft gang, but his plan to steal 48 cars is voluntary and has a slightly longer deadline. The crew gives all the cars female codenames, and the original Eleanor is a 1973 Ford Mustang fastback. It's no less cursed than in the remake, with Pace stealing four different cars before meeting success.

How it got here:
R1 - 2nd in Group F (behind James Bond's Aston Martin DB5)
R2 - 63:37 win over Herbie

The Dukes of Hazzard - Dodge Charger "General Lee"
i016023.jpg

Better known on the small screen, the General Lee made its way to film - and eligibility - with a 2005 movie for Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott. It's a pretty faithful update (certainly compared with Knight Rider's attempts at films) even though it got seven Razzie nominations. One of the things that carries through untouched is that giant, orange Dodge Charger with what's now a slightly inappropriate roof design. You're singing the horn noise in your head right now.

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group D
R2 - 52:48 win over Mad Max Ford Falcon Interceptor

Last edited:
On to the third quarter final and we have one of the biggest guns of all, star of three films and the car that spawned a thousand imitations, against a Barried Nissan that survived 20 minutes...

Back to the Future - DeLorean DMC-12
wcomc-005-bttf-delorean-jpg.769842

When this baby hits 88mph, you're going to see some serious ****. This car was by far the most popular in our initial shortlisting and it's not hard to see why. The DeLorean itself has a ridiculous back story and the stainless steel body is iconic, and then Doc. Emmett Brown made it into a time machine. Easily the third star of the three films, behind the wacky Chris Lloyd and cool teen Michael J. Fox, this DeLorean has a nuclear heart, manages to be in three places at once and can eventually fly. Although, like so many others on this list, it gets absolutely obliterated at the end of the story... unless you think fourth-dimensionally.

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group E
R2 - 63:37 win over Smokey and the Bandit - Pontiac Trans Am

2Fast 2Furious - Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R
wcomc-010-fandf-skyline-jpg.769847

While certainly memorable, the Skyline's screen time in its film is among the shortest of anything else here. It only appears in the first part of the film, and doesn't even live through that. After winning its opening street race, complete with implausible bridge jump and dreadful CGI, the feds use an electronic stinger to scramble the car's systems and Brian promptly crashes it. Yet among the hundreds of modified cars in the film, the silver Skyline with the blue graphics and blue underbody lights remains the one most remember.

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group H
R2 - 77:23 win over The Blues Brothers - Bluesmobile

Last edited:
I don't understand Twitter. Also my phone autocorrected Brian to Bryan.

I thought these twitter's votes can't be any worse. That's just disgusting.
It's like Brexit. I have absolutely no idea how the Skyline is winning this - we discussed not even including it originally, as it's a three-star car on IMCDB.

Well that was a frankly ridiculous result, and it leaves us with only one top-seeded car... handily in this last quarter-final, against a replica Ferrari:

James Bond (series) - Aston Martin DB5
wcomc-012-bond-astondb5-jpg.769892

Other Bond cars come and go, but the DB5 is eternal. In the film series, the Aston is the first official company car the secret agent drives. Equipped with an ejector seat, primitive satellite tracking system, wheel scythes, bullet shield and machine guns, it was the first glance at the bloated budget of the Secret Service and the gadgetry on offer. In its first appearance, Bond crashes it into a wall after getting confused by a mirror, but it's made it to six more Bond films since.

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group F
R2 - 80:20 win over Taxi (series) - Peugeot 406

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder SWB
i002864.jpg

Yes, we all know, it's a fake. Nonetheless, the car that fourth-wall-breaking, truanting teen Ferris Bueller and his friends Cameron Frye and Sloane Peterson use to get around Chicago on one last good day before the end of high school is a cinema legend - if only for the moment Frye loses his temper on the Ferrari his dad loves more than him...

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group G
R2 - 56:44 win over Cars (series) - Lightning McQueen

So, there's been a small lull between the last quarter final and these last three matches due to the FIA-Certified GT Sport Regional Championships taking up all of our time.

To say that the semi-final line-ups are unexpected is an understatement. There's a car here that we weren't even going to put in due to its short screen time, and it beat a car so iconic that despite its real-world rarity, owners make film-replica versions of it...

Still, enough of the fuss. Here's the first semi-final..

If this film had been the one and only, the Supra might be the most memorable of the very many cars in it. Introduced as a burned-out wreck, this is the "ten second car" Brian owes Dom, and uses to get inside the Toretto family circle while investigating heists of 14-inch CRT/VCR shipments. It was 2001. After whipping a "more than you can afford" Ferrari and chasing down the real bad guy, Brian lets Dom escape in the Supra after the climactic drag race. Sadly Dom came back, but the Supra didn't.

How it got here:
2R - 57:43 win over Italian Job Austin Mini Cooper S
QF - 52:48 win over Gone in Sixty Seconds Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Ford Mustang Mach 1 "Eleanor"
i004972.jpg

GTPlanet's members voted for both Eleanors to appear on this list - despite some arguing over which was the "right" one. The plot is broadly similar, with Maindrian Pace running a professional car theft gang, but his plan to steal 48 cars is voluntary and has a slightly longer deadline. The crew gives all the cars female codenames, and the original Eleanor is a 1973 Ford Mustang fastback. It's no less cursed than in the remake, with Pace stealing four different cars before meeting success.

How it got here:
R1 - 2nd in Group F (behind James Bond's Aston Martin DB5)
R2 - 63:37 win over Herbie
QF - 52:48 win over The Dukes of Hazzard Dodge Charger "General Lee"

Well, the Supra's now beaten both Eleanors, and the ten-second car is into the final. Considering it didn't even win in its group, that's quite a surprise...

Next Semi-Final is:

2Fast 2Furious - Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R
wcomc-010-fandf-skyline-jpg.769847

While certainly memorable, the Skyline's screen time in its film is among the shortest of anything else here. It only appears in the first part of the film, and doesn't even live through that. After winning its opening street race, complete with implausible bridge jump and dreadful CGI, the feds use an electronic stinger to scramble the car's systems and Brian promptly crashes it. Yet among the hundreds of modified cars in the film, the silver Skyline with the blue graphics and blue underbody lights remains the one most remember.

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group H
R2 - 77:23 win over The Blues Brothers - Bluesmobile
QF - 54:46 win over Back to the Future - DeLorean DMC-12

Other Bond cars come and go, but the DB5 is eternal. In the film series, the Aston is the first official company car the secret agent drives. Equipped with an ejector seat, primitive satellite tracking system, wheel scythes, bullet shield and machine guns, it was the first glance at the bloated budget of the Secret Service and the gadgetry on offer. In its first appearance, Bond crashes it into a wall after getting confused by a mirror, but it's made it to six more Bond films since.

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group F
QF - 67:33 win over Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder

I’m not even going to ask why a riced GT-R that was in 1 movie for all of 5 Minutes is beating one of themost iconic movie cars of all time

For ***** sake. What the actual **** is it with these *******? How the **** is the ******* Skyline winning?
It beat Bullitt in the group stage, and it beat the DeLorean in the quarter-finals - and had 15% more votes than any other car in the QF stage.

I literally don't understand our Twitter followers.

Is it GTP users who vote? Or just some Twitter kids? Because no one here seems to like these results. I can't believe this is actually happening. Maybe let's just pretend this never happened?

Is it GTP users who vote? Or just some Twitter kids?
Whoever sees it on Twitter. GTPlanet users have Twitter and, I assume, follow GTPlanetNews, so they can vote just as well as anyone else can.

The Skyline ranked 15th in the initial on-forum poll to find the final 32.

Well, we had a 70+ car shortlist, GTPlanet members voted for 32 finalists and, over a month on Twitter, we've got it down to a final pairing. One of these two cars will be the winner of the World Cup of Movie Cars, and GTPlanet's greatest ever film car for the next four years.

Please don't **** it up, Twitter...

How it got here:
2R - 57:43 win over Italian Job - Austin Mini Cooper S
QF - 52:48 win over Gone in Sixty Seconds - Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
SF - 53:47 win over Gone in 60 Seconds - Ford Mustang Mach 1 "Eleanor"

How it got here:
R1 - Won Group F
QF - 67:33 win over Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder
SF - 55:45 win over 2Fast 2Furious - Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R

Last edited:
I mean...the Aston besting the Skyline has restored some of my faith in Twitter. Not enough to actually sign up, mind you, but...you know...small victories.

From a moviebuff's perspective the supra is forgettable and should have not made it to the 2nd place. But the Aston only winning narrowly by 2% amazes me.

I’ve never and probably will never watch any of the Fast & Furious movies, but when I think of “the” cars from them I definitely first think of the green Eclipse, followed by the white Jetta. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen that Supra before other than in that still.

Glad something more deserving won. Personally my favourite would be the Mad Max Interceptor, along with the Esprit submarine and the Jurassic Park Explorers, but I didn’t vote so oh well.

Last edited:
I’ve never and probably will never watch any of the Fast & Furious movies, but when I think of “the” cars from them I definitely first think of the green Eclipse, followed by the white Jetta. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen that Supra before other than in that still.

Glad something more deserving won. Personally my favourite would be the Mad Max Interceptor, along with the Esprit submarine and the Jurassic Park Explorers, but I didn’t vote so oh well.

Actually the Dodge Charger that Vin diesel drove should have been the most iconic car in the series. It was way more memorable in the climactic race. No idea how the Supra won so many votes.

Back