CD Purchase SuggestionsMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iceman
  • 38 comments
  • 1,334 views

Iceman

Staff Emeritus
Messages
5,491
United States
Wisconsin, USA
I'm looking to get a new CD, and am looking at older Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, or other thrash. Any other artists or specific albums that I should take a look at? I've heard some stuff off Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power and it sounds very good.
 
Get In God We Trust, Inc. by the Dead Kennedys. Now there's thrash with a purpose.
 
The Dead Kennedy's are true Punk (I say true, nothing like Blink 182, etc), but not Thrash. I'll list you some bands and albums, because this is really my cup of tea here.

Slayer - "Reign in Blood" | Probably one of the best ever Metal albums.
Slayer - "Seasons in the Abyss" | Slayer's second best album IMO.
Pantera - "Vulgar Display of Power" | Pantera's best.
Pantera - "Far Beyond Driven" | A little heavier, but just as good.
Sepultura - "Chaos A.D." | Not exactly Thrash, but you will like this.
Exhorder - "Slaughter in the Vatican" | Great album. They are God Haters, though, so if you are religious, maybe give this one a skip.
Metallica - "Master of Puppets" | Metallica's best album by far.
Kreator - "Violent Revolution" | Not too shabby. Band that's been around for a while. One of their earlier works.

That should do you for now, if you need anything else, just ask. 👍
 
What is the difference between Thrash and Heavy Metal? It all sounds the same to me...

btw, Happy Birthday, Iceman. :cheers:
 
Jimmy Enslashay
Slayer - "Reign in Blood" | Probably one of the best ever Metal albums.
Slayer - "Seasons in the Abyss" | Slayer's second best album IMO.
Pantera - "Vulgar Display of Power" | Pantera's best.
Pantera - "Far Beyond Driven" | A little heavier, but just as good.
Sepultura - "Chaos A.D." | Not exactly Thrash, but you will like this.
Exhorder - "Slaughter in the Vatican" | Great album. They are God Haters, though, so if you are religious, maybe give this one a skip.
Metallica - "Master of Puppets" | Metallica's best album by far.
Kreator - "Violent Revolution" | Not too shabby. Band that's been around for a while. One of their earlier works.
👍 Great Albums 👍
Slayer - Show No Mercy [1983]
Slayer - Hell Awaits [1985]
Slayer - Divine Intervention [1994]
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? [1986]
 
Event Horizon
What is the difference between Thrash and Heavy Metal?
Thrash is a hard and fast sound. The double kick is constantly used at a fast speed, and the guitars are equally as fast. The vocals are also intense and heavy. In Heavy Metal, it mainly focuses on Heaviness. They don't focus on the speed (ala Thrash), rather how heavy they can make it sound. Also, the vocals are more hate orientated and more rock-like vocals, except sung as loud as the singer can go.

For comparison:
THRASH: Slayer - "Reign in Blood"
HEAVY: Hatebreed - "Perserverance"

Maybe that will help with your understanding.
 
Thanks a lot Jimmy, I've been listening to some Slayer and its really good. Right now the choice is between Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, and Vulgar Display of power by Pantera.
 
Get Reign in Blood first iceman. Then Vulgar Display of Power 2nd.
 
Well, I decided to get them both and they are great 👍.
 
I would've suggested Reinventing Hell.

Anyways, you must hear Cemetary Gates and Becoming.
 
Reinventing Hell would be great (that's their Best Of iceman). Cemetary Gates is one of my favourite ballads. My favourite is This Love by Pantera. Cemetary Gates is from "Cowboys from Hell" and Becoming is from "Far Beyond Driven". Becoming is a great song, too. But nothing beats "Mouth for War" off Vulgar Display of Power.
 
I've heard Becoming, but I don't think it can compare to Mouth for War, as Jimmy Said. This Love is really a great song too. Usually I don't like getting best of CD's because the songs can seem out of context and it doesnt seem like the whole package.
 
hey, I need some suggestions too. I gets a paycheck tomorrow and I want some new music, help me out. I am looking for some good metal, Not anything that Is complete screaming all the way through, but just a good mix.
 
icemanshooter23
Usually I don't like getting best of CD's because the songs can seem out of context and it doesnt seem like the whole package.
I agree.

Silverzone -- If you tell us what genre you would be looking for, eg. Heavy Metal, Nu Metal, Hard Rock, etc, that would be much easier as there are alot of bands out there.

Try some Pantera if you haven't got any. And if you don't have any, for your taste I recommend either Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power.
 
Silverzone
hey, I need some suggestions too. I gets a paycheck tomorrow and I want some new music, help me out. I am looking for some good metal, Not anything that Is complete screaming all the way through, but just a good mix.
Hey Silverzone, you seem to like Metallica a lot, so listen to some Slayer, then you'll know why they kick ass
 
If you do get Slayer, get Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss first. Best albums from Slayer. Heck get any, except for Undisputed Attitude. The worst Slayer album by far, and the only one I dislike.
 
Jimmy Enslashay
The Dead Kennedy's are true Punk (I say true, nothing like Blink 182, etc), but not Thrash.
Hence my description, "thrash with a purpose".
;)
 
Lol. I see. Unorthodox, but I'll accept it. :lol:
 
Jimmy Enslashay
If you do get Slayer, get Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss first. Best albums from Slayer. Heck get any, except for Undisputed Attitude. The worst Slayer album by far, and the only one I dislike.
Actually Jimmy, I do like Undisputed Attitue, most of the songs are Punk-covers, and I'm starting to listen to punk. For me Slayer's worst album is: Live Undead and Live: Decade of Aggression. I really don't like live music on CD, I rather go to a concert or buy a DVD/VHS concert.
 
Yo, I got the Headbanger's Ball album and Green Day's new album. I was looking for Pantera And Slayer But I couldn't find them. Anyway Green Day's new album is really cool. The Headbangers Ball album is okay, but It shouldn't have edited the music.
 
gtavcfan
Actually Jimmy, I do like Undisputed Attitue, most of the songs are Punk-covers, and I'm starting to listen to punk. For me Slayer's worst album is: Live Undead and Live: Decade of Aggression. I really don't like live music on CD, I rather go to a concert or buy a DVD/VHS concert.
That's exactly the reason I hate the album. Too punk. Slayer don't suit punk IMO. At all.

Also, I don't mind live albums to a certain extent, but I'd rather to listen to normal CDs. But there are some live albums that are good. Machine Head are terrible on CD, IMO, but their "Hellalive" album makes them sound heavier and much better. Also, AC/DC: Live at Donnington is by far the best live album of any band. Angus is so precise. The first song, Thunderstruck, he plays the intro so perfect it is amazing.

Also, I'm not overly into Zeppelin, although I like them as musicians individually. But because they were back in the late 60's and 70's, I find them too slow and soft. But that's okay, after all it was a long time ago and music wasn't heavy at all really back then. But, I recently watched their DVD, and there's a few things that caught my attention, especially the 15-minute drum solo by John Bonham. It goes too long, and the Bongo Solo is boring, but it is still outstanding to see this guy play. In my opinion, the best drum solo ever. Also, he would be the best non-Jazz drummer I've seen.

Another CD Purchase suggestion: Anthrax - "Spreading the Disease" -- Best Anthrax album.
 
gtavcfan
Actually Jimmy, I do like Undisputed Attitue, most of the songs are Punk-covers, and I'm starting to listen to punk. For me Slayer's worst album is: Live Undead and Live: Decade of Aggression. I really don't like live music on CD, I rather go to a concert or buy a DVD/VHS concert.
I don't mind official live releases. I absolutely despise live bootlegs though. Low quality crap taken from the middle of the audience where you can barely here the song over all the screaming. 👎

Jimmy Enslashay
Also, I'm not overly into Zeppelin, although I like them as musicians individually. But because they were back in the late 60's and 70's, I find them too slow and soft. But that's okay, after all it was a long time ago and music wasn't heavy at all really back then. But, I recently watched their DVD, and there's a few things that caught my attention, especially the 15-minute drum solo by John Bonham. It goes too long, and the Bongo Solo is boring, but it is still outstanding to see this guy play. In my opinion, the best drum solo ever. Also, he would be the best non-Jazz drummer I've seen.
My favourite drummer, period, is Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater. However, the award for cleanest drummer goes to Danny Carey from Tool. He's not the fastest drummer, but he never faulters and everything is perfectly in synch. But then again, Tool are a bunch of perfectionists that take 5 years to release an album...
 
My favourite drummer is Dave Lombardo, the original Slayer drummer who recently made a return. Went through stages of Metal, Rock, Funk and Jazz. He spent alot of time in Jazz and became a recognised drummer in that Genre. But he made a return. I'm happy.
Shannon
I absolutely despise live bootlegs though. Low quality crap taken from the middle of the audience where you can barely here the song over all the screaming.
You have to be careful getting bootlegs. I have learnt. I have some awesome bootlegs at home, and they came out great. You estimate by the Quality and Size of the video. If it is high-quality, that usually means they are using a good camera, which most likely (in my case) leads to god sound quality. A larger size means the same thing.
 
I say you can't really beat Lars from Metallica. Or Joey from Slipknot. They are my favorites.
 
Lars is way overrated. My friend who has only just passed the beginner course can play most Metallica songs, pre-Black. No word of a lie. There are, of course, a fair few exceptions, like Dyer's Eve for example. But the funniest thing about that is, Lars couldn't even play it so he changed the drums for the song so he could play it lived. They just lopped the whole thing on the album, which yes, most bands do. But it was because he couldn't play it.

Joey Jordison on the other hand is way underrated. He is only just starting to get recognition now. He needs to find a much better quality band, because right now I feel he's trapped in Slipknot, wasting alot of potential away.
 
Silverzone
I say you can't really beat Lars from Metallica. Or Joey from Slipknot. They are my favorites.
Let me guess - Kirk Hammet is the best lead guitarist ever, James Hetfield is the best rhythm guitarist ever and Robert Trujillo is the best bassist ever?

Lars sucks. 👎
 
Hey dudes, How's it going? Anyways, does Quiet Riot or Tesla fit anywhere in speed metal (albums: "Metal Healt" and "Mechanical Resonance.")

Silverzone
Anthrax rules.
Yeah they do.

Shannon
I don't mind official live releases. I absolutely despise live bootlegs though. Low quality crap taken from the middle of the audience where you can barely here the song over all the screaming.
I don't actually hate live albums, I just dislike hearing it live without seeing the band, and all the fans headbanging and smashing each other.

Shannon
My favourite drummer, period, is Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater. However, the award for cleanest drummer goes to Danny Carey from Tool. He's not the fastest drummer, but he never faulters and everything is perfectly in synch. But then again, Tool are a bunch of perfectionists that take 5 years to release an album...
Drummers? My favoire drummer is Dave Lombardo from Slayer, and Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Silverzone
I say you can't really beat Lars from Metallica. Or Joey from Slipknot. They are my favorites.
Only Dave Lombardo and Paul Bostaph (Slayer's old drummer) can.

Jimmy Enslashay
Joey Jordison on the other hand is way underrated. He is only just starting to get recognition now. He needs to find a much better quality band, because right now I feel he's trapped in Slipknot, wasting alot of potential away.
I think Joey is perfect with Slipknot. Slipknot is a good [quality] band.

Rock On Dudes!
 
Back