Changing from PS4 to PS5 - help appreciated!

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 27 comments

seadog777

Premium
Malaysia
Iskandar
seadog777
I can't believe how lucky I am - I got an early Father's Day present this evening - A PS5 Digital version!!! :cheers:
A local store told us last week there's at least a year-long waiting list. They got it online and it's a Japanese import - user manual is Japanese!

The PS4 I'm using was my Son's, A Call of Duty Black Ops version, pretty old now, 2015/16? Still going strong.
It has a large hard drive - 1 or 2 TB, forgot. Quite a few games on it but the only ones I really want to transfer to PS5 are GT7 and GT Sport.

Both were downloaded from the Play Station online store.
Am I right in thinking all I have to do, once PS5 is set up, is log in to the PS Store and re-download the games?
Will all my progress / purchases etc. come with it? I'm terrified of ballsing it up and losing my garage and progress!

If anyone has done this and has any tips, I'd really appreciate any hints and advice!

Last edited:
I think the only thing you have to do is download it from the PlayStation Store to your PlayStation 5.

Everything should be there as data is saved online. Could be wrong, but i think you will be good.

Thank you, fingers crossed. I'll be doing it in the morning.....

Scared Animation GIF by Mashed

I had to transfer a few game saves from single player games via usb but that’s it. All the other game saves like GTS loaded up automatically.

I recommend keeping your PS4 games on an external hard drive to save space on the PS5.

GT7 on PS5 is a different game/download than on PS4
Hi, thanks, I bought the 25th Anniversary Edition which is supposed to work on both.... but this is a bit of a worry. Will the saved PS4 version copy over??? It cost more but I was hoping to future-proof.

Last edited:
PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan:

“I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 and PS5) – both digital and physical – will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 and PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.”

But he will be able to install the PlayStation 5 version, right? As the game is cross-buy.
If I remember correctly when I DL'd GT7 you only had the option for PS5 version on PS5.
It cost's more, so I do not know if he can..

You need to transfer(not download) GTS from PS4 to PS5 with an ultra high speed HDMI cable to get everything(about 22 minutes),be logged in on the same account on both both consoles,transfer the save data first,re-start both consoles then transfer the main data ,then transfer GT7 the same way,and i'm not sure exactly what happens when you upgrade to the PS5 version of GT7...

I can't believe how lucky I am - I got an early Father's Day present this evening - A PS5 Digital version!!! :cheers:
A local store told us last week there's at least a year-long waiting list. They got it online and it's a Japanese import - user manual is Japanese!

The PS4 I'm using was my Son's, A Call of Duty Black Ops version, pretty old now, 2015/16? Still going strong.
It has a large hard drive - 1 or 2 TB, forgot. Quite a few games on it but the only ones I really want to transfer to PS5 are GT7 and GT Sport.

Both were downloaded from the Play Station online store.
Am I right in thinking all I have to do, once PS5 is set up, is log in to the PS Store and re-download the games?
Will all my progress / purchases etc. come with it? I'm terrified of ballsing it up and losing my garage and progress!

If anyone has done this and has any tips, I'd really appreciate any hints and advice!
Playing on both machines is possible.
I believe if you bought the PS4 version of the game you can only download the PS4 version on your PS5. I think Ive seen somewhere that you can upgrade to PS5 version for a small fee ($10) or you will have to buy the full version again.

Yes set up and log into your PSN account, download GT7 and then you will see a screen saying downloading saved game data. GT7 saves all game data in the GT7 cloud. I believe trophies don’t sync between the two consoles but it might now with the new update.

Tip if you plan on switching between PS4 & PS5 to play, I would recommend to close the game down after each session. I leave my consoles in rest mode so the game is always logged on, but if I switch to my other console it says I’ve downloaded the latest save game file but sometimes it doesn’t work so I have restart the game.

Check my thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/playing-on-ps5-and-ps4.407787/#post-13690428 I asked same questions a few months back so might be some more helpful info in here

Last edited:
So as an update, particularly for anyone else that upgrades to a PS5, here's how it went.

The PS5 is imported from Japan and as far as we could see is a 100 volt unit, which is the domestic voltage in Japan. A bit of research indicated that most, if not all, PS5s are dual voltage, so we crossed our fingers and plugged it into the 240V socket..... it didn't blow up! :)

Once powered up asked for wifi log in details.
Then logged into PS account.
Asked if I wanted to download games - only GT7 showed up, but I've downloaded other games too. Clicked yes.
Then it asked about transferring data from a PS4 - so that was switched on and the PS5 found it. We selected which profiles and games to download. GT7 was over 100 Gb on disc - that's a lot for an online-only game!

Then let me play music marathon in GT7 while the app finished downloading.
When finished downloading, opened GT7 and went to race - no force feedback on wheel. Went to settings, turned force and sensitivity up a notch - that fixed it.

Summary - went really well, nice and smooth, good guidance. Very happy with the process. Everything is there, my cars, trophies, credits, cafe menus, track records - nothing missing.

4K experience - the TV I'm using is very old, around 12 years and still won't die! It's 1080P and GT7 looks fine on it. It is definitely a better picture from the PS5 than the PS4 - might be something to do with ray tracing (which I switched to priority)? Punchier, more saturated and better contrast.
We then plugged it in to our 4K TV, which is supposed to have HDR too, although the settings in PS5 said it was off and we couldn't find how to turn it on..... Yes, the picture is sharper, very nice, but not enough of a difference to make me rush out and buy another 4K telly. The 1080p can stay until it goes to meet its maker.

I am very happy with the PS5 so far - delay between menus is much shorter, the user interface is better, the controller is fantastic.
Better still, the switch-over was smooth as butter! :cheers:

So as an update, particularly for anyone else that upgrades to a PS5, here's how it went.

The PS5 is imported from Japan and as far as we could see is a 100 volt unit, which is the domestic voltage in Japan. A bit of research indicated that most, if not all, PS5s are dual voltage, so we crossed our fingers and plugged it into the 240V socket..... it didn't blow up! :)

Asked if I wanted to download games - only GT7 showed up, but I've downloaded other games too. Clicked yes.
Then it asked about transferring data from a PS4 - so that was switched on and the PS5 found it. We selected which profiles and games to download. GT7 was over 100 Gb on disc - that's a lot for an online-only game!

When finished downloading, opened GT7 and went to race - no force feedback on wheel. Went to settings, turned force and sensitivity up a notch - that fixed it.

Summary - went really well, nice and smooth, good guidance. Very happy with the process. Everything is there, my cars, trophies, credits, cafe menus, track records - nothing missing.

4K experience - the TV I'm using is very old, around 12 years and still won't die! It's 1080P and GT7 looks fine on it. It is definitely a better picture from the PS5 than the PS4 - might be something to do with ray tracing (which I switched to priority)? Punchier, more saturated and better contrast.
We then plugged it in to our 4K TV, which is supposed to have HDR too, although the settings in PS5 said it was off and we couldn't find how to turn it on..... Yes, the picture is sharper, very nice, but not enough of a difference to make me rush out and buy another 4K telly. The 1080p can stay until it goes to meet its maker.

I am very happy with the PS5 so far - delay between menus is much shorter, the user interface is better, the controller is fantastic.
Good to hear. Have fun on the PlayStation 5, and trust me, you will. The loading times compared to the PlayStation 4 are world difference.

Best thing about the PS5, not having to wait 30 seconds plus for a race to load or switching between the missions etc.…

Hi, Been searching for somewhere to ask this question about ps4 - ps5. for some reason I think I'm screwed.
He we go. Always played GT7 on the ps4 on disc, (level 50 collector). I was bought a PS5 Mmm digital. I play games on that too aswell as ps4. But I believe I can't play GT7 on the PS5 without starting a new game from scratch?. I'm not sure I would want the expence if that is the case. I have plenty of time being 68 and retired, but I'm not sure I have the willingness to start all over again. Opinions... or are there any other options?
Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.
GT7 is one of the games where all your progress is stored on the game server, which means it doesnt matter on which console you login as you as you use the same PSN profile.
Also GT7 doesnt differentiate your savegame between PS4 and PS5.
So no, you dont need to start again but instead simply can hop in where you left.

Game by game this is different.

But I believe I can't play GT7 on the PS5 without starting a new game from scratch?
No. Your game save will transfer to whatever device you're playing GT7 on... but that's not the tricky part with what you're talking about here...
Always played GT7 on the ps4 on disc, (level 50 collector). I was bought a PS5 Mmm digital.
The tricky part is you'll have to buy the game again (or, if you have a new-gen PS5, buy the disc drive add-on). You can upgrade PS4 digital to PS5 digital no bother, but PS4 disc to PS5 digital still requires the disc. No disc drive means no upgrade.

Hi, Been searching for somewhere to ask this question about ps4 - ps5. for some reason I think I'm screwed.
He we go. Always played GT7 on the ps4 on disc, (level 50 collector). I was bought a PS5 Mmm digital. I play games on that too aswell as ps4. But I believe I can't play GT7 on the PS5 without starting a new game from scratch?. I'm not sure I would want the expence if that is the case. I have plenty of time being 68 and retired, but I'm not sure I have the willingness to start all over again. Opinions... or are there any other options?
Thanks guys.
Hi @robisme, have a look at my post above, it worked for me. I downloaded using my PS account and didn't lose anything.
I think you may need both units on the same wifi network, if you still have the PS4 - good luck!

Rob, it's easy. I'm in the middle right now of copying my data over from my PS4 to the 5. Just make sure you're signed in on both and make sure they're both on. Your game/games will copy. I have both on disc drives, bought the disc version for both. I actually just checked my GT7 as it did the transfer overnight and all is good. It even updated to the latest update as I slept. lol

Is your 4K TV OLED? I would say the difference between a regular 4K tv and a good 1080p tv is not huge but OLED really brings HDR and all of the things to life

Definitely something to consider if you are going to stay 2D, if you are thinking about VR then I wouldn’t bother 😎

I'm even more confused as to what to do now lol. Help 😂
Your game progress will be there no matter what console you log into.

But you can't play or upgrade your PS4 disc to PS5 digital because you need the disc to do that (it's basically the licence to play it) and your console has no disc drive.

What you need to do is buy the game again, this time the PS5 digital edition.

Or, if your console is the most recent version of the PS5 (the white one with the line across the top and bottom panels), buy the add-on disc drive. If you're going to try that with multiple games, you may want to do that as it's £100 rather than £70+ per game.

Rob, it's easy. I'm in the middle right now of copying my data over from my PS4 to the 5. Just make sure you're signed in on both and make sure they're both on. Your game/games will copy. I have both on disc drives, bought the disc version for both. I actually just checked my GT7 as it did the transfer overnight and all is good. It even updated to the latest update as I slept. lol
That isn't really necessary here for GT7.
Since he has to switch from disc to digital, he has to download the whole game anyway. And since the game progress is stored online, there's no need to transfer any data between PS4 and PS5 (of course that's different for other games)

I bought disc and digital copies of the few games I have. To me it's worthwhile in order to save the disc drive for the long haul (30+ years at my home, then to a museum) without needing to softmod the console. The disc copies are tangible assets to go on my game shelf next to the likes of ET and Castlevania.
I had a user PS4 Pro very briefly, it was killed by an official Sony firmware update.
I'd spring for that digital PS4 game. It simply unlocks your game install so you don't need the disc if you're logged in on the console.
One thing you may want to watch for is region locking. You might run into it with streaming movies also. Over the years a few consoles have been region locked for games also. The PS5 may not be right now but all it takes is one firmware update to change that.
Other than that, enjoy your new PlayStation!

Back