Chaparral 2j vacuum cleaner car

• Thread starter rk
  • 44 comments

rk

Arguably one of the most intriguing cars in the GT4 line-up and also one of the only "reverse hovercrafts" ever built. The fact that the auxiliary Rockwell snowmobile motor generated 1500 lbs of downforce, enough to hold it upside down on the ceiling (remember the fans on the back?) and Polyphonys faithful reproduction of this unique trait, make an aerodynamic wing (also innovated by this cars inventor) quite extraneous and suspension tuning completely exasperating. Built with secret Chevy R/D support and killed by the McLaren pressured SCCA because its lexan skirts "violated" the moveable aerodynamics rule; it would have revolutionized Can-Am Racing by raising cornering speeds to new and dangerous (at the time) heights.
This tune allowed my modest skills to turn 1'06.291 at Deep Forest on racing hards. The car has had all modifications including roll cage/rigidity upgrade. The tranny tops around 160 so, add auto if needed. i recommend the stage 3, lag for the stage 4 will have you tearing your hair out.

brakes 3/3
springs 12.5/12.5
height 75/75
bound 7/6
rebound 8/7
camber 2.7/1.7
toe 0/0
stablizer 4/4
auto 10
asm/o 0
asm/u 0
tcs 3
lsd 10/40/20
weight 0/0
enjoy!

not the ONLY one with its ground effects ;)

dont forget the brabham F1 car; one of few cars to beat schumacher i think it was either late 70's or early 80's

Do you mean the 1978 Brabham BT46 fan car that niki lauda drove to win the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix? I dont think Schumacher was around then.

Just bought the 2J, all I have to say is ...... :nervous: :eek: :scared: 1:26 lap around Seattle.(best in GT3 was 1:31 -with an fo/90s) 3 gears.... handles like a dream, and sticks to the ground quite well. Just one question, the car doesn't seem to like hills very much, as it tends to lose control on the uphill part of Seattle and also hilly part of El Capitan. other than that, I almost think it handles too good.

I have that car and it is most fun. I have topped it out at 274.8 mph on the test track. I don't remember my settings for the gears. It took a lot of fine tuning. This car is fast considering it doesn't need nitrous to get up to that speed.

nelmr
I have that car and it is most fun. I have topped it out at 274.8 mph on the test track. I don't remember my settings for the gears. It took a lot of fine tuning. This car is fast considering it doesn't need nitrous to get up to that speed.

I love this car, 210 km/h in 1st gear! 430 km/h top speed without nos

Quote:
"just one question, the car doesn't seem to like hills very much, as it tends to lose control on the uphill part of Seattle and also hilly part of El Capitan. other than that, I almost think it handles too good."

Remember this is an active ground effects vehicle, once you break the seal, you are no longer held down. There is no mechanical way to compensate, the best work around is to learn the track and coast ballistic over the irregularities. the three speed tranny (purportedly) was one of the drivers' frustrations, which they gladly vented by motoring around opponents in the twisties.

aarque
Remember this is an active ground effects vehicle, once you break the seal, you are no longer held down. There is no mechanical way to compensate, the best work around is to learn the track and coast ballistic over the irregularities.

Actually, I know the Track Quite well,(did seattle endureance race 13 times in GT3) and understand the fact that it has active ground effects, but the only thing that works remotely well is to slow down to 100 or so all the way up the hill, but even then it becomes completely airborne by the last slope and its common knowledge that disc brakes have no effect when your car is airborne.

Can any car beat this in the American Championship? My high tuned Cadillac Cien struggles, but it's easily in front of the Ford GT40 in second place...

Dodge Boy
So, sometimes does neither of these cars enter then?

Yeah, one time they weren't in, but then the Chapparal 2d spanked my Viper GTSR concept race car. I guess I just don't have the right car for this championship yet.

smellysocks12
Yeah, one time they weren't in, but then the Chapparal 2d spanked my Viper GTSR concept race car. I guess I just don't have the right car for this championship yet.
I had some success with The Camaro LM(with all available hp). Key was to qualify first to have the lead. However, the Chapparal seems to NEVER lose it's lines or get into any trouble. Was consistently getting 2nd place. Had a great chance to beat it in the 2nd race but lost due to tire wear in the end: shouldn't have gone with soft tires(then again, do they make you use standard tires in the Amer.Champ.?) And they said this game was easy?

Dodge Boy
Can any car beat this in the American Championship? My high tuned Cadillac Cien struggles, but it's easily in front of the Ford GT40 in second place...

I won it easy with the Cien against the 'sucker' car. The secret, as long as the cars set up nicely, is to set the brakes fairly hard and use the brake button softly. You'll feel the joypad vibrate strongly when you're near the limit, usually around half way down on the button. You can cut braking distances in half when its done right.

The Cien would be a great car only for the shifting times and its ugliness.:P

Dodge Boy

I used the Ford GT LM race car... Handles like a DREAM, and has 9xxhp (tuned) to boot. I won it in the last pro league race.

Does anyone know which Chapparal car is better? i really really want to buy one, but im not sure which one to buy. I think im going to get the 2j because of the looks :dopey: but does anyone have an opinion on this?

I just spent one million credits for the Viper GTS-R race car. There is no way to beat that 2J. Just played the Seattle track and lost, 2J had a 7 second lead. Best lap time for the Viper was 1.27.939. Maybe the Cien could do it...

To everybody who hasn't done the first set of races in america use the camero lm race car won from the Chevrolete (don't know if thats spelt right) showroom.
Do it up win every race, even against the 2j and panoz. I Kicked their arses all over the place.

LOL! i have the 2J .. you shoulda spend yer mil' on that.. i own it, but i still cant beat that thing... also-- i dont own NE cars that are decent enough to beat the jgtc cars @ the superspeedway endurance race... i won the Camaro & in that thing i got @ best 4th.. :dunce:

ddurham131
I had some success with The Camaro LM(with all available hp). Key was to qualify first to have the lead. However, the Chapparal seems to NEVER lose it's lines or get into any trouble. Was consistently getting 2nd place. Had a great chance to beat it in the 2nd race but lost due to tire wear in the end: shouldn't have gone with soft tires(then again, do they make you use standard tires in the Amer.Champ.?) And they said this game was easy?

I almost won this championship with a totally stock Camaro LM against the Chapparal 2J (i wasn't aware that you could 'qualify' in the championship series!). I won 2 of the 5(?) races, and would have won the El Capitan race that i was leading until i spun studiply on the hill crest near the tunnel :ouch:
You just need to be accurate and have a nice balanced set-up. I was miles behind the 2J on Seattle - you've no chance against it on this track!

Camaro LM Race Car

Increase the braking power to about 7/7
Set the gear settings perfect so just hitting rev limiter at end of straight
Qualify
Brake late and accelerate through the corners

I think I may have lifted the back end and lowered spring rate a little.

XCNuse
not the ONLY one with its ground effects ;)

dont forget the brabham F1 car; one of few cars to beat schumacher i think it was either late 70's or early 80's

fancar2.jpg

Back