Chasing or being chased?

• Thread starter daltonlm
  • 33 comments

Do you prefer to chase or be chased while drifting?

• Total voters

daltonlm

(Banned)
Lazy Liquid
What is your favorite situation? Do you have any advice for each positions?

While in front:
Do you tend to abuse in your angles or smaller angles makes the challenges faster and more exciting?
Do you have any worry of being overtaked?

While chasing:
Do you search into spaces for overtaking or you try door 2 door no matter what line you mate takes?
What techniques you use to measure and regulate your distance to your mate?

Neither. I tense up in both and crash. Time trial is the best for me. But if I'd have to choose one I'd probably choose being chased because it feels more like a time trial in the fact that there is no one in front of me. And if I'm not faster than the other guy, I can just block him. :dopey::P

Edit: oops... I didn't realize this was in the drift forum. I can't drift, but if I could, I reckon it would be the same for me as normal racing in the fact that I suck and that I would like to be in the lead.

Last edited:
I like to tag behind with a powerful car. Drifting behind a Blitz car in a Monaro left me re-engaging my drift so many times because I couldn't get enough speed to slide. In a M3 I like to pin it to them and see how good they can be :lol:

Being chased:
drift with max angle at slow speeds.

Chasing:
keep up with the guy in front and get as close as I can

I tend to be worse behind, I tend to push too much or get distracted by the smoke and just stick it into a turn and hope for the best!

Didnt realise you were allowed 2 accounts!💡

Actualy i dont use the "daltonlm" anymore, because i wanted to have a username matching to my PSN id. I just logon on my old crapy account because i accessed the forum in another device, where my actual logon was not memorized. Then i distracted myself and the rest of the story you can realize.

Answering my own questions:

What is your favorite situation? Do you have any advice for each positions?
Being chased most of times is boring. Its almost like drift alone, otherwise its nice to be chased using a weaker car and obtain a good performance. Anyways i still prefering the chaser situation, even if many times i get frustrated in not reach the door 2 door epicness.

While in front:
Do you tend to abuse in your angles or smaller angles makes the challenges faster and more exciting?
Do you have any worry of being overtaked?

If my car is overpowered, i tend to hook the corner with terminal angles. If my car is weak (below 300hp, for exemple), the angles decreases and sometimes i refuse to drift or fishtail in some areas, to keep the pace mostly. About being overtaked, its funny to say but i get pleased, because will be my time to try to tandem. I hate if my replays appear myself most of time in front... i want nice pictures with me chasing.

While chasing:
Do you search into spaces for overtaking or you try door 2 door no matter what line you mate takes?
What techniques you use to measure and regulate your distance to your mate?

Door 2 door always, even if my mate almost kiss the external wall. And about techniques to maintain the tandem... small brake or e-brake taps mostly, depending the angle situation (brakes helps to oversters, e-brake helps to understers). Rarely i release the gass too much or decrease 2 gears while drifting. And sometimes i bump on my mate, if i see that it can help him (overspining situation, bump his nose).

Chase! I kind of hate leading cause (not to sound as if I'm a god in drifting but..) I tend to drive away from the chaser, depending on what car I use or the driver behind the wheel.

Chase! I kind of hate leading cause (not to sound as if I'm a god in drifting but..) I tend to drive away from the chaser, depending on what car I use or the driver behind the wheel.

Lol are you showing off again Dom? Anyway I like to chase just because it is funner and it allows you to show more skill. When you are leading it is just like your qualifying or doing a single run. Either way it is drifting so I do not care =D

I prefer to lead,I feel like leading you have more freedom, you can get more angle, get more aggressive and take a good line. but its all about the drifter,you have to be prepare and do not get nervous, if you accomplish both you can dominate on both, leading and chasing

I like both situations, when I lead I'm able to take more various lines which the chaser has to follow. But I also like chasing cause I feel when you get up close you can really psyche out the guy in front.

Chasing for me. Leading is rather boring and I find myself looking behind me to see where the chaser is. I like to be really aggressive and see if I can stick with other cars whether they be faster or slower

Im like being chased. It makes me go faster. Especially if someone is behind me in qualifying.

I lose too much time chasing because i have to brake early to avoid ramming the car in front of me.

In a drift you are ment to copy the lead car passing is only allowed if the lead car makes a big mistake.

In theory. In competitions. In wonderland.

On the field you will find all kind of drifters, from the paladin drifters to the chaotic evil drifters.

I prefer following myself not because I cant lead. Because I like to match other drifters lines and it seems like to me it has made me a better drifter all together.

Being chased:
drift with max angle at slow speeds.

Chasing:
keep up with the guy in front and get as close as I can

I notice a lot of leading drifers max out the angle. DONT! This causes tandems to be more difficult then just staying a couple of inches from the inside kerb (which allows the chaser to keep up easily as well).

I hate leading, i just panic/stress out.

I was born to chase really. When im focused and with a good leader i can stay inches away for laps :)

It takes a special kind of drifter to lead. You need to be able to pace properly and take a line that is easy to follow for the drifter(s) behind you. I prefer to lead because it takes a different skill set to make sure that everyone is having fun going sideways and not falling off the pace.

I'd say I like both situations, chasing is most exciting of course because you can see the car in front and try to high-five :D
But leading makes you sharpen your skills in order to pull away, this is of course only if the following car is good enough to give you a good chase! I love the feeling of seeing a car close in my mirrors, I know they can keep up with my speed and it's gonna be a good battle!

When i'm leading i go as slow as i can around most corners then go faster to make the opponent think my skill was less......when following, i pass the person in front with an outside overtake

When i'm leading i go as slow as i can around most corners then go faster to make the opponent think my skill was less......when following, i pass the person in front with an outside overtake

Funny you think you are doing that but in all the comps prodigy run you can pass all you want and you still won't win. Tandem isn't about who is faster all your showing me when passing me is that you cant adjust to ones driving style and or need to pass cause you think by doing so it makes you look better. But only reason you should ever pass anyone is if you see one is about or has already made a mistake & it should be done on the inside line. Not trying to bust your balls but thought id throw that in my $0.02.

Yesterday i was starting all over another Camaro SS from the scratch and tandeming / tunning and praticing at Fuji corners sequence in the end, with the Redsun crew. The problem was that in drift trains i was messing around and trolling (overtaking or bumping) everyone cose i couldn´t keep drifting if i wouldn´t go faster than the others. And they was using S class and A class cars... that Camaro was embarassing myself.

If your car (in this case, mine) can´t keep the same pace with slower cars, something is wrong.

Back