ChatGPT AI tuning in GT7

• Thread starter MasterGT
  • 12 comments
Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MastrGT
Do any of you remember the first chatbot - ELIZA, from 1966? I first used a personal computer in 1982. I didn't use the original ELIZA, but I played a bit with simulators of ELIZA, later, on home computers. It was simple.

There is a new, controversial chatbot, ChatGPT, running openAI. I thought that I would give it a test, to see how well it works with a tricky, open-ended GT7 tuning question. Obviously, you have to ask it the right question to get a useful response. The question below is the second question submitted, and it is followed by more specific questions. The highlighted words give clues as to important key words that the chatbot used and how you might refine your question, to get better, more focused results.

Question #2: How do I adjust wheel toe in Gran Turismo 7, for the best tire grip and tire life?

In Gran Turismo 7, adjusting wheel toe can affect the handling and tire wear of your car. Toe refers to the angle of the tires relative to the centerline of the car when viewed from above. Here are some general tips for adjusting wheel toe to optimize tire grip and tire life:
  1. Start with zero toe: If you're not sure where to begin, start by setting the toe to zero. This means that the tires are perfectly aligned with the centerline of the car.
  2. Consider your driving style: Toe settings can affect the handling of your car, so consider your driving style when making adjustments. If you like a more responsive, twitchy car, you may want to add a bit of toe-in (where the fronts of the tires are closer together than the backs). If you prefer a more stable, predictable car, toe-out (where the backs of the tires are closer together than the fronts) might be a better option.
  3. Check tire wear: After a few laps of driving, check the wear on your tires. If you see excessive wear on the inside or outside edges of the tires, you may need to adjust the toe. Toe-in will generally wear the inside edges of the tires more, while toe-out will wear the outside edges more.
  4. Fine-tune the settings: Once you have a good idea of the effect of the toe settings on your car's handling and tire wear, you can fine-tune the settings to your liking. Make small adjustments (0.1 or 0.2 degrees at a time) and test the car to see how it feels.
  5. Remember to adjust all four wheels: It's important to adjust the toe on all four wheels, as uneven toe settings can cause the car to pull to one side or the other.
  6. Seek help from in-game mechanics: In Gran Turismo 7, you can get help with tuning your car from the in-game mechanics. You can access this by going to the "Pit" section of the game and selecting "Tuning Shop." From there, you can choose to have the mechanics make adjustments to your car based on your desired driving style and track conditions.

Question #3: In Gran Turismo 7, how is rear wheel toe adjusted for better handling and tire wear?

In Gran Turismo 7, rear wheel toe can be adjusted to improve handling and tire wear by going to the Tuning Shop and selecting the Suspension tab. From there, select the Rear Toe option and adjust the angle using the sliders.
To improve handling, it is generally recommended to set a small amount of toe-in, which means the rear wheels are angled slightly towards each other. This will provide more stability and reduce oversteer, making the car easier to control.
To improve tire wear, it is generally recommended to set a small amount of toe-out, which means the rear wheels are angled slightly away from each other. This will reduce the amount of scrubbing and friction between the tires and the road, reducing wear and improving longevity.
It's important to note that the ideal rear toe setting will depend on the specific car and track being driven, so it's a good idea to experiment with different settings and find what works best for your driving style.

Question #4: In Gran Turismo 7, how is front wheel toe of a front-wheel drive car adjusted for better handling and tire wear?

In Gran Turismo 7, the front wheel toe of a front-wheel drive car can be adjusted to improve handling and tire wear. The front wheel toe refers to the angle at which the front wheels are pointed in relation to the centerline of the car.
To adjust the front wheel toe, you will need to access the tuning settings for your car. In Gran Turismo 7, this can be done by going to the tuning menu in the garage or during a race pit stop.
Once you are in the tuning menu, navigate to the suspension settings and select "Front Toe". The default setting is typically 0.00 degrees, which means the front wheels are perfectly aligned with the centerline of the car. Adjusting the front toe angle will affect how the car handles and how quickly the front tires wear.
If you want to improve handling, you can adjust the front toe to a negative value, which means the front wheels will be pointed slightly inward. This will increase the car's responsiveness and help it turn into corners more quickly. However, it can also increase tire wear.
If you want to reduce tire wear, you can adjust the front toe to a positive value, which means the front wheels will be pointed slightly outward. This will reduce the amount of friction between the tires and the road, which can extend the life of the tires. However, it can also make the car feel less responsive and less agile in corners.
It's important to note that the optimal front toe angle will vary depending on the specific car, track, and driving conditions. Experimenting with different settings and testing the car's performance on the track is the best way to find the ideal front toe angle for your car in Gran Turismo 7.

Question #5: In Gran Turismo 7, how is rear wheel toe of a mid-engine rear drive car adjusted for better handling and tire wear?

In Gran Turismo 7, the rear wheel toe of a mid-engine rear drive car can be adjusted using the car setup menu. Adjusting the rear wheel toe can have a significant impact on the car's handling and tire wear.
To adjust the rear wheel toe, you can navigate to the car setup menu and select the suspension tab. From there, you can adjust the rear toe angle by changing the values for the left and right rear wheels. The rear toe angle can be adjusted in either a positive or negative direction, depending on the desired effect.
A positive rear toe angle, where the wheels are angled outwards, can provide better stability at high speeds and improved cornering grip. However, this can also cause increased tire wear, particularly on the inner edges of the tires.
Conversely, a negative rear toe angle, where the wheels are angled inwards, can provide improved turn-in response and better traction under braking. This can also reduce tire wear, particularly on the outer edges of the tires.
It's important to note that adjusting the rear wheel toe should be done carefully and with consideration of the car's overall setup and the track conditions. Small adjustments may have a significant impact on the car's handling and should be tested and evaluated before making larger changes.

What were my expectations? I did this experiment for a few reasons, including to see if the results generated were competent and relevant. I did not anticipate getting unrelated game instructions. Doing this is also partly to point out to PDI that the correct, useful, and relevant tuning instructions should be built into GT itself.

What do you think about AI tuning for GT?

Last edited:
  1. Seek help from in-game mechanics: In Gran Turismo 7, you can get help with tuning your car from the in-game mechanics. You can access this by going to the "Pit" section of the game and selecting "Tuning Shop." From there, you can choose to have the mechanics make adjustments to your car based on your desired driving style and track conditions.
The what?

If it's not got that right, how can you trust anything else it says?

The what?

If it's not got that right, how can you trust anything else it says?
Obviously, there are issues, but the point is that they are trying. This is new and we don't know the sources of what the AI engine uses for responses. AI gets better over time. You know that from GT alone. The automatic dismissal of the service because it is not yet perfect, the same as in politics, is not helpful. As I said above, ChatGPT is controversial and it ruffles various feathers. Some of what makes it controversial are black/white opinions of it rather than recognising its potential.

Can the misinformation be eliminated? I contacted them about this, so let's see. I also contacted PDI regarding this and the lack of specific in-game tuning support, too. More than once.

Last edited:
I wonder if the bot could answer a tuning question and provide numerical settings...

I gather it researches documents so couldn't calculate numbers from first principles or by playing gt7 itself, but it might attempt to amalgamate tunes from settings humans have published in internet forums.

I wonder if the bot could answer a tuning question and provide numerical settings...

I gather it researches documents so couldn't calculate numbers from first principles or by playing gt7 itself, but it might attempt to amalgamate tunes from settings humans have published in internet forums.
I think that may come later, after a lot of development or data collection. One of the first responses, above, included the suggestion to make tiny changes and gave numbers for doing that.

Referencing a few human tunes for racing simulations may not necessarily be a good data source, based on a variety of tunes that I have viewed, over the years.

Last edited:
People keep missing the point of ChatGPT. It isn't a generalized AI, it's just a language model. It's not making an attempt to give you the right answer about anything, it's just trying to pattern match your question with other questions, and then string together a response that sounds like a human wrote it. This is why it frequently gets basic math questions wrong, it just knows that number, operator, number usually leads to another number in response.

The user doesn't have to ask questions. The user could simply request that the bot explain a topic. I asked questions and repeated "Gran Turismo 7" because I wanted the bot to learn to focus on the correct game. That didn't work in this short amount of time.

There are three types of chatbots: simple rules-based ones, such as with customer service web pages; intelligent independent ones, with data, that can learn; and AI bots that combine these types. We need to learn how to interact with them, to get what we want or need. That takes practice.

Last edited:
I haven't got a clue what's going on in this thread, but the nonetheless, it sounds interesting! :D

The user doesn't have to ask questions. The user could simply request that the bot explain a topic. I asked questions and repeated "Gran Turismo 7" because I wanted the bot to learn to focus on the correct game. That didn't work in this short amount of time.

There are three types of chatbots: simple rules-based ones, such as with customer service web pages; intelligent independent ones, with data, that can learn; and AI bots that combine these types. We need to learn how to interact with them, to get what we want or need. That takes practice.
Yeah, but asking it to explain a topic still doesn't actually get it to do anything that guarantees it's correct. It's not doing research, it's just pattern-matching. The creators themselves have been repeatedly trying to explain that they fundamentally do not try to get chatGPT to tell you correct information, if it does that's just a happy accident, because that's not the point of it. It is an interactive language model. That's it.

They've described it, as it is, as "the world's most confident bull****ter" lmao.

Last edited:
Isn't ChatGTP still with limited information about after late 2021? If so then I doubt it would be too accurate about anything to do with GT7.

Question: Which chatbot currently has the best quality responses?

Answer: As an AI language model, I do not have access to the latest updates on all the chatbots in the market, but I can tell you that there are several chatbots that are known for providing high-quality responses. Some popular chatbots that have received positive reviews from users for their quality responses include:
  1. Mitsuku: A chatbot that has won the Loebner Prize several times for its natural language processing abilities.
  2. Replika: A chatbot that uses AI to create a virtual friend for its users and has received praise for its ability to have human-like conversations.
  3. Dialogflow: A Google-owned chatbot that is designed for creating chatbots for businesses and has advanced natural language processing abilities.
  4. Botpress: A chatbot that uses machine learning and natural language processing to create sophisticated chatbots for businesses.
  5. Zobot: A chatbot that is designed to provide customer support and has received positive reviews for its ability to understand and address customer inquiries.
It's important to note that the quality of responses from a chatbot can vary depending on the complexity of the query and the quality of the training data used to train the AI model.

So I just had a play with ChatGPT... as people have said (and ChatGPT volunteered), it doesn't have access to post 2021 data.

When I asked it about GT7 it stated that its not released yet, but mentioned GTSport.

I asked it to provide numerical settings to tune an S13 Silvia on comfort hard tyres in GT Sport:

"As an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time game data or specific tuning settings for individual cars in Gran Turismo Sport. However, I can provide some general tips for tuning an S13 Silvia for use with Comfort Hard tires in the game.

1. Suspension: For Comfort Hard tires, you'll want to set the suspension to be relatively soft to help absorb bumps and maintain traction. Try setting the front and rear springs to around 6-7 kg/mm and the front and rear dampers to around 5-6 kg/mm.
  2. Alignment: Alignment settings can vary depending on driving style and track conditions, but for Comfort Hard tires, you'll generally want to aim for a slightly negative camber on the front and rear wheels to improve grip. Try setting the front camber to around -1.5 degrees and the rear camber to around -1.0 degrees.
  3. Brakes: For Comfort Hard tires, you'll want to increase brake bias towards the front to help with braking stability. Try setting the front brake bias to around 60-65%.
  4. Differential: Differential settings can also vary depending on driving style and track conditions, but for Comfort Hard tires, you'll generally want to aim for a slightly looser differential to help with traction. Try setting the front and rear initial torque to around 10-15% and the front and rear acceleration sensitivity to around 30-35%.
These settings are simply a starting point and may need to be adjusted based on your specific driving style and track conditions. It's also important to note that tuning is a time-consuming process that requires experimentation and patience, so be prepared to spend some time testing and refining your settings."

Not too bad a response for something it doesn't have the ability to play.

Dampers aren't rated in kg/mm, it'd be kg/velocity in real life or in the later GT games a damping percent.

Front diff doesn't make sense in a RWD car.

Front brake bias isn't set by percentage but 65% front would be about right for a 50:50 car (the S13 isn't 50:50, its a little front heavy so would probably have more front bias in real life.

I then asked it to convert the spring rates to nat frequency:

"Assuming a mass of approximately 1000 kg for the S-13 Silvia, and using the spring rates of 6-7 kg/mm that were mentioned earlier, the natural frequency of the suspension system would be approximately 1.5-1.7 Hz."

Interesting stuff...

Back