CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
Are you talking about this one?

I just purchased a racing cockpit from Ebay under that search “Steering wheel stand” (it’s the red one, right?). It is the BEST 👍 !!!! The adjustability is amazing! Anyone can fit, and most of all, I’m not sitting in my Lazy-Boy, feeling like I’m driving a SUV or better yet, a truck :crazy: ! I actually feel like I'm driving my Nissan 240SX. The seat didn’t look too comfortable at first, but after 6 HOURS of playing, my butt isn’t complaining one bit (thinking of putting a seat cover on it to make it look a little better). The cockpit is solid, a bit heavy (I’d guess around 40 pounds without the seat), I guess that is why it is so sturdy, powder coated (looks great!!!). I’m planning on putting a fan in-front me to create the wind effect to further the simulation (J/K my wife already thinks I’m nuts).

If you like racing simulator and a GT4 enthusiast, you HAVE to have one! It just make it so much more realistics. Here is a link to mine :) .

The cockpit I won from Ebay!

Ca. 50 screws
14 pcs. chipboard's
ca. 2,5 square meters self-adhesive velour
3 pcs. Stone-Effect aerosol
Costs ca. 80,- Euro

Only the seat is cost-intensive
But a used Sportseat or Kartseat can make it cheaper

simulator-foto-montage-top_800-4.jpg

WJHMH
Wow! These things are popping up everywhere. I thought about building my own but this isn't bad with free shipping.

$134.95 racing cockpit.

I don't know about that one :indiff: , he is using C channels.... (not very strong) :ill: . He is also using bolts to move the steering wheel forward and aft (limited adjustablility). If I'm not mistaken, is it raised 💡 ?? Looks like it. If so, those legs better be able to support some weight especially at the location where it bolts to the frame :scared: . Bolts verses welds 💡 ..... I'd take welds 👍 . Sorry, its my Structural Engineering degree coming into play!!

fast67
I don't know about that one :indiff: , he is using C channels.... (not very strong) :ill: . He is also using bolts to move the steering wheel forward and aft (limited adjustablility). If I'm not mistaken, is it raised 💡 ?? Looks like it. If so, those legs better be able to support some weight especially at the location where it bolts to the frame :scared: . Bolts verses welds 💡 ..... I'd take welds 👍 . Sorry, its my Structural Engineering degree coming into play!!
I was thinking the same thing & you brought up valid points, I'd still like to find out where the get that driving seat cheaper, maybe in a Kart verison. I'm going to call some speed shops in the morning & just build my own.

Edit:
That racing seat runs about $37 & can be purchased at most race shops.

WJHMH
I was thinking the same thing & you brought up valid points, I'd still like to find out where the get that driving seat cheaper, maybe in a Kart verison. I'm going to call some speed shops in the morning & just build my own.

I'm thinking along the same route as you :) Check out Summitracing.com They sell seats. I'd also check out jegs.com. In case you were wondering 👍 , I'm restoring a 67 mustang 👍 👍 , thinking about turning it into an Eleanor from the movie Gone in 60 seconds :dopey: .

S15RuleZ
Are you talking about this one?

I just purchased a racing cockpit from Ebay under that search “Steering wheel stand” (it’s the red one, right?). It is the BEST 👍 !!!! The adjustability is amazing! Anyone can fit, and most of all, I’m not sitting in my Lazy-Boy, feeling like I’m driving a SUV or better yet, a truck :crazy: ! I actually feel like I'm driving my Nissan 240SX. The seat didn’t look too comfortable at first, but after 6 HOURS of playing, my butt isn’t complaining one bit (thinking of putting a seat cover on it to make it look a little better). The cockpit is solid, a bit heavy (I’d guess around 40 pounds without the seat), I guess that is why it is so sturdy, powder coated (looks great!!!). I’m planning on putting a fan in-front me to create the wind effect to further the simulation (J/K my wife already thinks I’m nuts).

If you like racing simulator and a GT4 enthusiast, you HAVE to have one! It just make it so much more realistics. Here is a link to mine :) .

The cockpit I won from Ebay!

Thanks for the "pat on the back" :) . Yes, it is my listing. Glad you like it. I have more on Ebay if anyone else is interested.

fast67
I'm thinking along the same route as you :) Check out Summitracing.com They sell seats. I'd also check out jegs.com. In case you were wondering 👍 , I'm restoring a 67 mustang 👍 👍 , thinking about turning it into an Eleanor from the movie Gone in 60 seconds :dopey: .

So you're an Eleanor fan? Check this out. :D

Enjoy the pics

BTW, thanks for the links. I'm going to order my drag seat! 👍

WJHMH
So you're an Eleanor fan? Check this out. :D

Enjoy the pics

BTW, thanks for the links. I'm going to order my drag seat! 👍

Those pictures are too cool :dopey: !! I was actually there at Unique Performance last year when they had a fund raiser for Mr. Shelby 👍 . I got him to sign my dash insert!! It was totally awesome 👍 . If only those cars are a little cheaper. They start at like 130,000!!

If only I could win the Lottery.......

chair002.jpg
[/IMG] This is what I made this weekend. I used the idea from the guy that made his out of 2" pvc. I will modify how the wheel and pedals mount later. The seat was $80.00 from Best Buy and the pvc was about $50.00. Sorry cant get the picture to load, this is what I got. (File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 100.0 KB. Your file is 122.2 KB). Can anyone let me know what I have to do to get it on this post?

upnorthdogg
Can anyone let me know what I have to do to get it on this post?

Use a photo hosting site then post your hyper link. I use photobucket.com, accounts are free.

Okay, I have decided that if I am going to build my own cockpit, then EMT is my choice. It is one of the cheaper alternatives, looks like it will be easy to work with, and should be strong enough for the job. I searched the thread for EMT, however, and did not find much on the subject. One person slightly described his setup but had no pictures.

For any of you with experience with EMT (electrical conduit) and / or built yours out of EMT, could you post pics and a brief description of what you did? My main concern is about cross-braces. I would think I would want some cross-braces throughout the design, but I cannot find any kind of a "T" for EMT; maybe they don't even make a "T" for electrical conduit. Anyway, if no "T"s exist, how would you make a crossbrace using EMT?

Thanks! 👍

No problem, glad to be some help. FYI, I just got back fom the metal scap yard & picked up the items needed for my cockpit. spent about $10.00 total. Photos will be up later.

I have finally modified my setup. This is still used for my PC setup.
A monitor can be placed on to the front and this can be moved forward and back to suit arm length.
The only additions i am planning is a slide for the seat and some cushioning for my own rear end.

I just finished mine. (well, almost. ) I still need to wet sand it, prime it, then paint it. One thing that I like about it is full adjustibility. More to come.

the frame
DFPseat.jpg

the setup before painting. (hopefully tomorrow)
DFPseat2.jpg

After painting
134-3442_IMG.jpg

134-3440_IMG.jpg

Total build cost

$10.00 scrap metal
$39.99 seat
$39.39 seat cover
$20.00 miscellaneous parts & supplies 3/8 .5 bolts, washers, nylon spacers, primer, paint, 1 ft cable manager, grip tape

$109.98 Total

Last edited:
That's the exact cart I have. I've had it for a couple of weeks and have already shaken one of the screws out of the keyboard platform. :ouch: :irked: I guess I'll have to drill a hole through it and secure it with a nut and bolt. Particle board suxor! :grumpy: But it's still an excellent temporary solution until I make or buy myself a cockpit. 👍

ok I know this is a bit off topic, but does anyone think it is possible to modify non-dfp's to spin 900 degrees? I was thinking if I modify my steering wheel with parts from the DFP I could get it to spin 900 degrees.

Back