Check out this loser review

Parnelli Bone
Yeah i wonder too if he's like "ah..on second thought".

I think the day Gran Turismo has more than 6 cars per game is the day the PlayStation becomes unaffordable to the masses, know what i mean? The way i see it...in real-life GT racing, the leaders very often stay in the lead unless they have car trouble. GT is just giving us this perspective. Even if there were 20 cars in the field, ideally most of the people who play GT would be up in the lead somewhere.

Imagine trying to get past 20 cars in 2 laps. What a nightmare, they would have to re-incorporate the qualify round.

The thing is, GT wasnt an arcade style racing game but a driving sim. It had a good 2 hour learning curve just to handle a car with some modicum of control.
It is amazing that so many people persisted with it. I'm sure many people rented it for a weekend and said bah.
When I first started with it, I though I would never be able to do all the license tests. My how times change. :)
Its still the best game to build hybrid cars, though it can be tough to build good ones. I liked GT2 for hybrids because of the ablity to do engine swaps, but the ridiculous noise from changing Mufflers and such and the totally un real hp were downers. Throw in having to exit a race and reenter when adjusting hybrid parts and GT1 is really better.

The tracks are well-designed and it's very addicting, but the Arcade Mode would be infinitely more enjoyable if could simply race all the available tracks on a points basis in a mini-season, instead of just taking it one race at a time with no cumulative results.

You can. Bonus thingy unlox cars in Arcade.

The real game of Gran Turismo lies in the Simulation Mode. Here you start out with a small amount of money (10,000 credits) and buy a car you can afford from one of many dealerships.

After suffering through a painful, meaningless, and repetitive process to get your first racing license, you can race through a mini-season on a select number of circuits, earning cash as you go.

^^Lazy *****.

You can use money you earn to buy new cars or upgrade your current cars. In all, the game has an incredible 166 total cars, many of which can only be obtained by winning a particular curcuit.<<AHAHA he spelt it wrong

After a couple of days of extremely addictive fun, the game then begins to slowly fall apart. The main problem is that it often seems that whether you win or lose depends not on how well you race, but how fast the computer cars were programmed to go. There are many control issues that need addressing such as certain surfaces like sand where the slightest contact with them can (and usually does) send you spinning uncontrollably.

^^Spinning uncontrollably? Never happened to me. You must SUCK.

Control problems like this and the occasional human error will never allow you to race 100% perfectly, but the computer cars somehow manage to go through every turn flawlessly almost every single time. It's as if they're mocking me, saying, "Have fun skidding around on the sand, mere human! I'm running on pre- programmed Artificial Intelligence, and I never mess up!" The Arcade Mode has three difficulty levels, and the Simulation Mode would have benefited from this more than words can describe. Instead, there is only one difficulty level in Simulation Mode, and it will prove just as frustrating for racing newbies as it proves easy for racing veterans.

^^Retard....

coldfireTRR
The thing is, GT wasnt an arcade style racing game but a driving sim. It had a good 2 hour learning curve just to handle a car with some modicum of control.
It is amazing that so many people persisted with it. I'm sure many people rented it for a weekend and said bah.
When I first started with it, I though I would never be able to do all the license tests. My how times change. :)
The Clubman R5 demo hooked me; it seemed difficult to do a complete lap without spinning (especially since I didn't realize you could use two other cars instead of the NSX), but it seemed that, with practice, I would eventually be able to. And so I practised, and eventually I could do a lap, and sometime after that I began to be able to win! (And in the real game, winning was even easier in Easy/Blue-dot mode).

And that's how it went. I took hours and hours completing things the first time. Apart from anything else, my thumbs were learning how to use the controllers. The good thing about Simulation Mode was you could earn tiny amounts of money and then modify your car so that you were basically winning by cheating. That felt good at the time, but then later you could come back and win the same races with an appropriate car.

coldfireTRR

Yup. You can finally learn to drive a Civic after spending hours in it. Think you'll be able to just jump into a heavy but Abrams tank-sturdy SVX? A super-nervous TVR Griffith? A Viper? Even a Camaro? Think again.

TMM
Imagine trying to get past 20 cars in 2 laps. What a nightmare, they would have to re-incorporate the qualify round.

20 cars would rock in an endurance race, though. :)

I'll never tire of playing Gran Turismo, **** him, weekend rental, pah, you can never even touch the surface of a Gran Turismo game in one weekend, it takes weeks and even months of dedication to complete it (and even more so it's sequels), especially on the first try (like when I was seven when it first came out), what a **** this guy is...

My early replays look like I'm driving drunk.

That's great. :)

I played GT1 earlier this year, still play it, and I also bought it this year.
Bought GT2 and GT3 this year too. Never played GT3 but "My GT2 Story" is the description of GT2 from the players veiw, and I love GT. That reveiw sucks though.
Weekend rental? I played GT for 4 years now and there hasnt been a year that I never played GT4, even after it was beaten with all cars. GT captivates the player into a world away from everything else (< this can cause problems mom says- "whats wrong with you thats all you do is play Playstation and eat junk food.
I say- shut up mom you don't get it)
I have NOOOOO life at all. A teen who is addicted to a game and its website.

Yea Sportwagon is great. He's been around for a long time, too, well before I started playing GT in 2003.

The funniest thing about the "weekend rental" comment is the guy was basically predicting Gran Turismo would be a fad played only be a few gear-head type gamers. :) Loser had no idea it would become so big, PD would sit on releasing GT5 for YEARS and people would still wait for it (albeit not very patiently!)

Not patiently one bit. I waited for GT5 and through all those delays I knew it be out sooner or later so i wanted it.
And they have 50 million games sold. Attempt to beat that Forza.

Last edited:
He does say a few really positive things, too. I especially like his comment on how the "music matches the intensity of the mood" or whatever. That's so true. His idea of doing a season thru Arcade mode is also a good idea. But from there on he just gets it soooo wrong!

Just read this thread and had a good laugh. Just started playing this game again for a bit of fun. Apart from the graphics its better than most modern driving games still. Its 13 years old! Crazy, this game is immortal.

The funniest thing about the "weekend rental" comment is the guy was basically predicting Gran Turismo would be a fad played only be a few gear-head type gamers. :) Loser had no idea it would become so big, PD would sit on releasing GT5 for YEARS and people would still wait for it (albeit not very patiently!)
The funniest thing here is how you've gotten your panties in a twist over a 10-year old review. Obviously he found the game too hard for him to enjoy, end of story. I used to suck at this game back in the day too. Calling someone a "loser" because of that is pretty childish. :rolleyes:

Can't but wonder, what games was he comparing too, because at that time GT was AMAZING.
I'm gonna go as far as saying GT1 have been the most fun driving game EVER for me.
The challenge, the time you have to spend.
There was this one B-License, that I just the last year, which is like 10 years later took the gold and got that orange/red concept car, it was the most satisfying game achivement for me EVER,
Really hope GT5 will deliver the same feeling as the first.

To get a little more on topic this guy doesn't have a clue and honestly I'm sad I spent those minutes reading it, I will never get them back :(

What I found hilarious is that he takes a while to brag about how good the controls are. A couple of paragraphs later and he is calling them bad. :lol: What a joke!

The funniest thing here is how you've gotten your panties in a twist over a 10-year old review. Obviously he found the game too hard for him to enjoy, end of story. I used to suck at this game back in the day too. Calling someone a "loser" because of that is pretty childish. :rolleyes:

Fine. I'm childish. :shrugs: What you're ignoring (if you're still around) is that I created this thread long ago because it was an interesting look at how there were doubts about GT ever becoming anything like it is now.

Can't but wonder, what games was he comparing too, because at that time GT was AMAZING.

He doesn't compare it to anything on consoles, he only compares GT to Sega Rally I think, which was one of the premier arcade games back in the 90s. This is (of course) an unfair comparison, and the dude did make a note of the fact that it is unfair. I'm not an expert on what else was out in 1997. Pole Position? Test Drive? Burnout? Need 4 Speed? I'm not sure, and I don't have the time to do research at the moment.

I'm gonna go as far as saying GT1 have been the most fun driving game EVER for me.
The challenge, the time you have to spend.
There was this one B-License, that I just the last year, which is like 10 years later took the gold and got that orange/red concept car, it was the most satisfying game achivement for me EVER,
Really hope GT5 will deliver the same feeling as the first.

To get a little more on topic this guy doesn't have a clue and honestly I'm sad I spent those minutes reading it, I will never get them back :(

Yup. 👍

Last edited:
The guy is clueless. He obviously never played the game either or he'd know that the A.I makes mistakes and spins out quite often. And he's complaining about spinning in the sand? What a ignorant fool.

Dude. try driving at high speed and getting a wheel of the asphalt and into some sand. It will be a miracle if you don't spin.

And weekend rental? If any game is a commitment game it's GT. There's enough to do here to keep you busy for months.

This guy obviously knows little to NOTHING about driving, so ignore the review, he's clueless.

Latest Posts

Back