Choose Wisely!

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 44 comments
No, it's not because it's Korean. It's because one of them (the cheaper one) is a download purchase of PSN, whereas the more expensive one is the Blu-ray version.

Then why does the cheaper (download) version have the same shipping charge as the other version??

There are 2 versions, one $44.90 release date Dec 11th & one for $49.90 release date Dec 13th, what's the difference?

EDIT I see the $44.90 version is Korean (I think it's a Korean flag but it's so small I can't tell) & the 49.90 version is Japanese, what kind of differences is there?
one says Asia for version & has Japanese as the language & the other says Japan version & which version is everyone ordering?

Its a Hong Kong flag. The difference is the "Japan" version is the version that the Japanese peope will be buying in Japan. The Asia version is for everyone else in Asia outside Japan.

No, it's not because it's Korean. It's because one of them (the cheaper one) is a download purchase of PSN, whereas the more expensive one is the Blu-ray version.

I am not saying you are wrong, but how did you find that out as play-asia does not specifically said it is a download, as there is a shipping cost associated to it.

I think it would be a good idea if someone knowledgeable of purchasing games from Japan could create a thread on how to purchase GT5:P and have it sticked 👍

Why? you don't need a special thread......go to play-asia or renchi and just buy. You don't need to know a single word of Japanese to buy the game. I used to buy my stuff at Lik-Sang, well that is until SONY shut them down. I've personally been buying form play-asia for many years and I never have problem.

I don't have a choice. I don't have a credit card, so I have to wait untill GT5 prologue is available in the gaming stores.

play-asia accepts paypal. Have you account verified and select paypal when checkout.

Basically - I'm screwed any which way I turn it... I'll have to get someone outside EU to handle this, and then ship it here - And with all the Xmess shipping that's going on, it'll be delayed at least 14 days :-|

[Edit:] Goes well with my current avatar....

Ever heard of ebay? ;) or find a trusty member of the forum, buy it, have that ship to his place and then he can send it to you. There is always a way;)

I won't buy the Japanese version.. the larger a game gets, the more I demand to be able to read the thing. I might buy the European version, but ONLY if it's transferrable to the US release of GT5. If not, then I'll just sit here and pine for a NA release.

I am sure many members here can help with the translation, if they are not already all over the internet.

I was so close ordering the game from yesasia.com, but thanks for your post. Now I'll download it from the Japanese PSN store and save the shipping ;)
Hmm, but my Japanese PSN-Account has an inexisting address in Japan. I don't think it will work with my credit card because they'll check the card to it's proper owner?! If it's not working I'll have to accept 1-2 weeks of shipping, but that's still a lot earlier than an european release somewhere 2008 :)

I don't think they check the address, considering they don't when you sign up. my address is 123....no names or anything lol.

I think I'll buy the Japanese version as I cannot wait several months for the European release. I'm curious to know what improvements (if any) there is over the demo as well

Im just looking forward to the incar view with the NSX, R33 GTR and ofcourse the F430, along with a couple more tracks(namely Fuji, but im hoping it's the old fuji from the GT4:P, however much i doubt it).

I don't think they check the address, considering they don't when you sign up. my address is 123....no names or anything lol.

They do.

I am pretty sure you will need a valid Japan address and a valid Japanese credit card registered with the same address to make JPN PSN purchases. The only way around that is to get a "prepaid" PSN card from Japan.

By the way I didn't make that up.

checkout the ps3fanboy article here:
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/09/07/japanese-psn-cards-on-sale-at-a-price/

Buy the cards here:
http://www.ncsx.com/2007/081307/ncs0813h.htm

I've decided to buy Prologue from Japan

I simply cannot wait 4 months after the Japanese release. 5 tracks, 40 cars, and online racing.

This isn't a RPG, it's a racing game so the Japanese language shouldn't hurt too much. I just hope living outisde of Japan doesn't somehow block you from racing online

There are 2 versions, one $44.90 release date Dec 11th & one for $49.90 release date Dec 13th, what's the difference?

EDIT I see the $44.90 version is Korean (I think it's a Korean flag but it's so small I can't tell) & the 49.90 version is Japanese, what kind of differences is there?
one says Asia for version & has Japanese as the language & the other says Japan version & which version is everyone ordering?

Asian versions are almost always cheaper than Japanese versions, so if you can't read either language it's usually better to just get the Asian one. As far as I remember there was no difference besides language for GT4 Prologue save for something minor that I forgot (I had both, don't ask), although you can expect there to probably be a more extensive translation guide for the Japanese version here.

Regarding doubts online - I can't see there being a problem logging on or with lag with people outside Asia, in all my experiences with Japanese imported online games I've been able to play and have minimal lag as if I was playing any other game.

Ever heard of ebay? ;) or find a trusty member of the forum, buy it, have that ship to his place and then he can send it to you. There is always a way;)
Yep - Indeed I have.. And I already have a friend in AU who's on it !... It just pisses me off - It's not even Play-asia that won't ship - It's EU legislation :grumpy:

I'm leaning towards downloading the Japanese version and buying the American Blu-ray disc.

Does having the game on the harddrive vs. blu-ray effect loading times and/or online play?

I'd hate to have lag just because I bought the disc.

I'm leaning towards downloading the Japanese version and buying the American Blu-ray disc.

Does having the game on the harddrive vs. blu-ray effect loading times and/or online play?

I'd hate to have lag just because I bought the disc.

I recommand buying games thru PSN only if A) you have the means to do backups of you HD content and B) You do not plan on selling/trading whatever you are buying.

PSN downloads ALWAYS means better business for SONY as the likelyhood of you throwing back the game on to the market after you are done to compete with their new game sales, almost equals to zero.

Just a warning, even with a 80GB unit you will probably fill that baby up with only a few games.

I emailed Play Asia.com to ask the differences between the Asia & Japan versions of GT5P & got this email from them.

Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

>From current information, except price, the exact difference between Asian
and Japan version of this game still cannot be confirmed yet. We will
update our website when more related information received.

Please be reminded that we do not accept return of a game due to
incompatibility of region code and language under our Terms of Sales.
Please kindly refer to the production information carefully before
purchase from us. Thank you.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Joe
Play-Asia.com

I am going to pre order this from them but I'm not in a big hurry since it's still 6 weeks from release, who knows I may actually get a pack of Hello Kitty strawberry pretzels with GT5P!!

I recommand buying games thru PSN only if A) you have the means to do backups of you HD content and B) You do not plan on selling/trading whatever you are buying.

PSN downloads ALWAYS means better business for SONY as the likelyhood of you throwing back the game on to the market after you are done to compete with their new game sales, almost equals to zero.

Just a warning, even with a 80GB unit you will probably fill that baby up with only a few games.

yeah i thought about that. There really isnt a big resale value on a japanese language game here in Florida. I can just download the japanese version and delete it when I have the english language Blu-ray.

I'm still wondering about load times and online play on Disc vs. the game on your HD.

should I start a new thread about this?

Back