Christmas Gift Giving Idea Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 35 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
I swear I searched and found only specific and targeted threads. I found "what should I get my girlfriend", I found "what should I give my boyfriend" (I answered that one with THE best possible answer). I found "what should I tell others to get me" threads as well. But I didn't find a thread dedicated to helping people think of gifts for everyone on their list. Old and young, rich and poor, male and female.

Luckily, I've already found a fantastic gift to get every single person on your gift list:

Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System, $19 on Amazon.com
- Filters up to 100,000 gallons of water
- lightweight
- could save your life in an emergency
- everyone should have one, few people do.

So that's everyone on your Christmas list taken care of for this year. You're welcome. Alright folks, step right up, what's a great go-to gift for anybody?

:boggled:

I will not stand for this mockery. It's not like I suggested getting a gallon of fuel. There is a difference between getting someone something that they won't buy for themselves but should vs just ticking something off their shopping list.

hater1.jpg

Last edited:
How about a computer upgrade voucher? Everyone has a computer and I bet most of them would appreciate a bit more memory/ ram/ whatever to boost their computer.

I'd be happy if somebody gave me a gift of this, although I'm not exactly sure how it would be done.

Something everyone needs in their house? Something that will always have a use?
Imagine the look on your [insert gift receiver here] face when they realise they do have a spare and won't have to make dinner in the darkness or nip to the shop for a replacement.
Give your loved one what they need this Christmas...

Energy-Saving ,1750 Lumens, Full Spectrum Daylight White Ecozone Biobulb

Maybe.

Is 25W considerably low in the UK? In my house, we've ran a lot of IKEA's 11W-13W fluorescent bulbs for years.

This is great stuff guys!

So gifts you can get anyone on your Christmas list so far include:
- A light bulb
- A coupon
- Wham
- Playstation 4

Is 25W considerably low in the UK? In my house, we've ran a lot of IKEA's 11W-13W fluorescent bulbs for years.

I'm not sure about the UK, haven't lived there for years, but that particular bulb is a daylight bulb which helps with winter depression when people feel down because of the lack of sun. Since Christmas is rather dull and grey in most places I guess this would help lighten the mood (no pun intended) and would not just be a Christmas time novelty gift that goes unused for the rest of the year.

Well, in my family, we usually give either money or lottery tickets to people. Gift certificates and gift cards also work wonders as gifts.

My household has recently taken to using gift boxes, and I have to say, they are the greatest thing ever. If you get the shiny kind, with a smooth surface, they look great, there is no wrapping, there is no mess, you can slide a bow off without untying it, and for the next gift-giving event, you peel the to/from label off, repackage a new gift, slide the same bow back on, and it's good to go. You'll never wrap a gift that looks as nice, and it takes zero time/effort.

We've used them for all birthdays and christmases for the last few years and they have been nothing short of life changing.

372161645_949.jpg

TB
I've used gift bags and colored tissue paper for those exact same reasons.

Gift bags are our go-to for giving gifts to others, like taking something to a shower or birthday party. You lose the bag, but then perhaps you receive a few gift bags from others than you can re-use. If someone re-used a bag I gave them in a gift back to me, I'd never notice. I don't remember a single gift bag I've ever purchased.

However, gift bags don't look as nice under the christmas tree, and won't keep my prying 2-year-old out of her presents.

However, gift bags don't look as nice under the christmas tree, and won't keep a prying 2-year-old out of her presents.
I can't argue with that, obviously! The last three years we haven't done any gifts for Christmas as we've given the kids the choice of presents or Hawaii. :D

TB
I can't argue with that, obviously! The last three years we haven't done any gifts for Christmas as we've given the kids the choice of presents or Hawaii. :D
When you were all going to Hawaii anyway? Smart move. :bowdown:

TB
Big Island, February 15-23. :)
Ah, no. I was alluding to a situation where you're all going to Hawaii anyway but you don't tell them that and present the choice to them to avoid having to give them gifts.
That would be a cunning play.

More importantly, enjoy the trip. :)

Sonos Play 1 speakers. The fact that you can add more than one to your household just makes it even cooler.

My household has recently taken to using gift boxes, and I have to say, they are the greatest thing ever. If you get the shiny kind, with a smooth surface, they look great, there is no wrapping, there is no mess, you can slide a bow off without untying it, and for the next gift-giving event, you peel the to/from label off, repackage a new gift, slide the same bow back on, and it's good to go. You'll never wrap a gift that looks as nice, and it takes zero time/effort.

We've used them for all birthdays and christmases for the last few years and they have been nothing short of life changing.

372161645_949.jpg

That's way to involved for me. I typically just use Amazon boxes, especially now that they come in a festive red color. But we do Hanukkah, so there's no tree anyway.

But for gift ideas, I typically get people unique puzzles if they work in an office. Like those things where you need to get a screw, a nut, and something else out of a bottle and then reassemble it back in the bottle once you've masters the removal. They are a good distraction at work when you're on a conference call and someone won't shut up about something stupid.

Also, a Rubik's cube too if the person doesn't have one.

Back