Chromebooks

I have an older Samsung Chromebook and I'm thinking about a new one. Any recommendations for something in the $500-$700 price range? Ideally, I want something capable of supporting a decent stylus since I'd like to be able to write on it on it.

One publication was hinting that Chromebook support of Android apps is fading, though "you don't really use them anyways." I found myself getting rid of certain apps on my Chromebook, especially those I don't use and those that load up even when I specify to load in the Chrome browser. So I figure I basically will reserve most Android apps on my Chromebook mostly with sites I don't visit or almost exclusively for Android games. The "End of Life" for my Chromebook is about 2026. While I still contemplate getting a proper laptop in my recent fascination towards downsizing, I feel I don't want to give up my Chromebook after 2026. So I'll weigh my options should I keep this Chromebook for that long.

A lot of apps on my Chromebook are not able to access my SD Card anymore. It works perfectly fine browsing through files. However, if you want to listen to any local music on your microSD card or maybe watch a video or movie stored on it, the app doesn't even act like it's there. I was very happy to hear music without a hitch using a program called Musicolet. Now, I only seem to use Gallery for music since no other program wants to access my microSD Card to browse. I retired VLC because I just about gave up on it entirely. I also retired Musciolet after a lot of being not totally satisfied. My Chromebook's apps just doesn't want to access my microSD card again no matter how many times I try to access it. This is becoming a nuisance.

6508240_sd.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

Lenovo Duet 3

I have been looking to buy another Chromebook with a smaller form factor than the HP X2 I have had for several years. Stumbled upon the Duet 3 being on sale last week and was able to make it an even better price with an Open Box - Excellent from Best Buy.

My C434's battery is starting to show its age (compounded by the fact that I hardly use and thus constantly forget to charge it) so I'm looking into what I might replace it with. So far the most obvious choice is Framework's option, I like the concept and would love to support a company like that, although I can't see it sticking around long-term - it's a niche model by a niche company supporting a niche OS. Still, even if I only get one nice Chromebook and the option of easily pulling the main board out to use as an SBC outside of its useful life, that would be worth something to me.

I don't think the transforming form factor is really for me, I've never used the ability to hold my C434 like a tablet and have used the ability to fold the keyboard underneath it maybe like twice. Maybe I would if I had one with larger bezels and speakers in a less dumb place, but... I don't!

My Chromebook froze and crashed on me earlier this morning. This is the first time in the two years I owned and used a Chromebook that this has happened to me. It speaks to the reliability of a Chromebook and ChromeOS. At least... to my own usage.

Back